Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do you support Gibbs' decision to start Brunell? (Merged) (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=7779)

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 09-12-2005 11:15 PM

Do you support Gibbs' decision to start Brunell?

I'm not going to start a poll, I just want people to say (without presenting any arguments), do you publicly support Gibbs' decision to start Brunell? I would like to see people put their names down in support of or in opposition to this decision. I would like to cite this thread about 3-4 weeks from now.

Me first.....NO

saskin 09-12-2005 11:17 PM

Re: Do you support Gibbs' decision to start Brunell?

Yes, he is the coach of this team and he knows the team better than most of us. Like the signs say "In Gibbs We Still Trust"...not quite sure if we'll see those signs anymore but I stand by Gibbs and whichever QB he chooses.

SmootSmack 09-12-2005 11:18 PM

Yes

Gmanc711 09-12-2005 11:20 PM

No

skinsfan0201 09-12-2005 11:22 PM

No and Yes, I think it will bring some clarity to the situation once we see what Brunell does.

skinsfan0201 09-12-2005 11:23 PM

you don't want to know my opinion on that though

Paintrain 09-12-2005 11:26 PM

Yes.

GoSkins! 09-12-2005 11:27 PM

Yes, but I really believe that Gibbs is trying to drive the point home to Ramsey that he cannot turn the ball over. I believe we will see Ramsey again.

MTK 09-12-2005 11:31 PM

Yes, absolutely

ST21 09-12-2005 11:32 PM

as we say in texas.........yelp

Sociofan 09-12-2005 11:35 PM

In Gibbs We Trust....yes.

BigSKINBauer 09-12-2005 11:36 PM

Yes sir

illdefined 09-12-2005 11:39 PM

why not a poll, certainly begs for it.

i will say no, even if Brunell lights up Dallas, those first 3 drives of the season was *not* enough to tell me Ramsey couldn't have either. if i've learned anything, its that pre-season dictates very little, and developing a rhythm only happens in game situations with all your weapons and all the time. this is a surprising loss of his cool, and amounts to Gibbs hitting the panic button.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 09-12-2005 11:44 PM

[QUOTE=illdefined]why not a poll, certainly begs for it.

i will say no, even if Brunell lights up Dallas, those first 3 drives of the season was *not* enough to tell me Ramsey couldn't have either. if i've learned anything, its that pre-season dictates very little, and developing a rhythm only happens in game situations with all your weapons and all the time. this is a surprising loss of his cool, and amounts to Gibbs hitting the panic button.[/QUOTE]

I wanted people to post their views so they could be cited later down the road. I was afraid that if I posted a poll, people wouldn't write down where they stood.

Daseal 09-12-2005 11:46 PM

Absolutely not -- Brunell played like shit for 9 weeks and he didnt yank him. Ramsey played fairly well minus the INT and was getting hotter as the game went on. Will he ever give him a chance?

Gmanc711 09-12-2005 11:49 PM

[QUOTE=Daseal]Absolutely not -- Brunell played like shit for 9 weeks and he didnt yank him. Ramsey played fairly well minus the INT and was getting hotter as the game went on. [B]Will he ever give him a chance[/B]?[/QUOTE]

Nope. And anyone who said Ramsey had his chance, is freaking kidding themselves. He played 1000x better than Brunell did last year. In my opinion, Ramsey played better than Brunell yesterday. I dont get this decision at all.

Joe Knows... 09-12-2005 11:49 PM

Do you see my user name? That stands for Joe Knows Best. He is the coach of this team and he is a Hall Of Fame Coach at that. A H.O.F. Coach that has won us 3 Super Bowls. The man knows better than any one else who he needs to run his offense.

Look, I am a HUGE Ramsey fan. I actually got to hang out with him in the Dickinson College courtyard his first day of training camp his rookie year (the day Jon Janson tied him to the goal post and hazed him with ice.) He is a very nice guy, and an excellent person of character. But the fact of the matter is, ever since Steve Spurrier let him get killed and anialated and hung him out to dry that year, he has not been the same Quarterback. He has been figity and indecisive and worst of all, he has made very poor decisions with the football. And when you shoot your self in the foot you can't win football games.

I had that happen to me when I played QB in High School. I got creemated, and I know what it does to you. It ruins you. Your never the same afterward. Your instincts change. And you become figity and indecisive, and you get a false sense of urgency even when there is no pressure. Wich results in bad decisions with the football.

That is what happened with Patrick. Lately he has bee wreckless with the football and allowed too many unescessary turn over opurtunities. He doesn't need to force things with a defense like ours.

As long as we have the defense we have, we don't need to make too many big plays. All we had to do was control the football. Just like the Ravens did when they rode their defense all the way to the super bowl.

Of coarse, with John Hall out now, that will be a lot more difficult unless we can find a competent and confident place kicker.

But with Mark Brunell this year, he seems a lot more healthy and more like his old self from his pro-bowl days in Jacksonville. With Brunell, you know he'll protect the football and make smarter decisions. He's a veteran and will do just what needs to be done to give our defense the best chance to keep us in the ball game. Plus, his mobility makes defenses not just que in and blitz all the time like they did against Patrick. Brunell can beat the blitz alot better than Patrick. He also gets the ball out quicker than Patrick.

I think Brunell has looked excellent this year and gives us the best chance to win, so as much as I love Patrick Ramsey, I am jumping on the Brunell band wagon. We are in the bussiness of winning football games and winning is all that matters. And Mark Brunell gives us the best chance of winning.

My final answer to the question is yes.

And as a side note, if Ramsey must be traded for him to be happy then I hope he gets what he wants so he can be happy in life. He deserves at least that much. I just don't see how he'll start for any other NFL teams except maybe for Cleveland or possibly even the Jets with Pennington seemingly finished after that shoulder surgery causing him to loose all his mechanics and arm strength.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 09-12-2005 11:50 PM

[QUOTE=Daseal]Absolutely not -- Brunell played like shit for 9 weeks and he didnt yank him. Ramsey played fairly well minus the INT and was getting hotter as the game went on. Will he ever give him a chance?[/QUOTE]

The writing was on Gibbs' draft board....Ramsey was done pretty much the minute Gibbs came to Washington.

jdlea 09-12-2005 11:59 PM

Hell no. Brunell is done and has been for like 4 years.

Winskins 09-12-2005 11:59 PM

Yes, he kept his word to Ramsey by making him the starter for this season. Unfortunately for Ramsey, he just couldn't take advantage of his opportunity; meanwhile, Brunell took advantage of the playing time he was given and was rewarded with more playing time.

monk81 09-13-2005 12:07 AM

I think Gibbs had it with Ramseys costly interceptions.
Gibbs wants to give the team it's best shot to win so he made a tough decision...... I'll support it. I loved Brunell in his younger days......he sure ain't what he used to be but he won't lose games because of bad decisions either......

VishsSkins 09-13-2005 12:13 AM

At first I was upset by the decision, probably because it came as quite a surprise to me. After thinking it over however, I realize that although ramsey has been racking up good yardage, brunell is the smarter QB who can keep the ball moving, and that is what we need. He has looked really good so far this year. With that said, I will say yes as my answer.

e16bball 09-13-2005 01:02 AM

No.

Longtimefan 09-13-2005 01:32 AM

I said all along that we would see Brunell again. I support the decision because I'm sure at this time Gibbs feels Brunell gives us the best chance to win games, not popularity contests. Turnovers is something Gibbs has never had much stomach for, and I honestly think he feels Ramsey will continue turning the ball over and it's only going to cost us games. Let's see where the move takes us.

redrock-skins 09-13-2005 01:36 AM

A very reluctant yes from me. This whole season rests on our defense now. If we go down by more than 10-12 points, we're toast.

dblanch66 09-13-2005 01:40 AM

Yes. Gibbs said that it was a "feeling" he had to start Brunell. I have had the same feeling too. I like Patrick, but let's face it... he didn't exactly make an overwhelming impression in making this team HIS. Gibbs said he was looking for a QB to step up and command this team. Brunell has that and he has looked more like the guy we thought he would be last year.

JWsleep 09-13-2005 01:41 AM

Yes--given the play of the two of them in preseason.

Gibbs mistake was making PR the starter before camp. I don't like the quick hook, but in a way, it's not that quick--his play in preseason was the same as in the 1.5 quarters yesterday. Still, the whole thing feels clumsy.

Remember, PR asked for a trade when Brunnell came in, played shaky in last preseason, sat, and then played better. Hopefully, he'll get calmed down and be ready when old man brunnell gets hurt, and we need him.

offiss 09-13-2005 01:51 AM

[QUOTE=Daseal]Absolutely not -- Brunell played like shit for 9 weeks and he didnt yank him. Ramsey played fairly well minus the INT and was getting hotter as the game went on. Will he ever give him a chance?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=gmanc711]Nope. And anyone who said Ramsey had his chance, is freaking kidding themselves. He played 1000x better than Brunell did last year. In my opinion, Ramsey played better than Brunell yesterday. I dont get this decision at all.[/QUOTE]

DAMN STRAIGHT MEN!

Gibbs has a hard on for Brunell, he loves to harp on Ramsey for INT's while Ramsey is still learning Gibbs system and growing as a young QB, yet last season it was as if Brunell never had a turnover, yet his turnovers were the most costly of all, we lost 2 games as a direct result of his fumbles, but that's OK, Ramsey can drive the ball up and down the field all day and if he throws an INT he's crusified, yet Brunell can go drive after drive without a first down and it's fine, perhaps if Brunell actually tried to make a realistic attemt to get the ball downfield he might have a few more INT's as well, but we all know that ain't happening.

I really have lost respect for Gibbs in this matter, no way did Brunell do anything to unseat Ramsey, yet there it is he's starting, does anyone think Ramsey is getting 1/10 of the chance Brunell was given last year? No way! This is all about Gibbs not being able to swallow his pride and admit he royally screwed up in not only bringing Brunell in, but giving up the farm to do so, when we all knew he was being released, Gibbs came along and went after him as if he was the second coming of Marino.

Does anyone really believe Gibbs wasen't looking for any excuse whatsoever to put Ramsey on the bench? If you don't your only kidding yourself!

I am chalking another one up in the win column for dallas monday, the only good thing that will come out of it is the beating, and reality check, Gibbs and Brunell are going to have once Parcells get's through with them.

Hijinx 09-13-2005 03:28 AM

Whether or not you think Brunell is better than Ramsey, you have to question the timing. If Gibbs thought Brunell was better then Ramsey than why give him the start? Once him named PR the starter, why not give PR at least a full half of a game? A starting QB change before game 2, a nationaly televised game against the Cowboys is not a smart move. You think the media isn't going to pester every member of the team and coaching staff to death over this issue?

Plus where does this lead? Lets we are 2-4 or even 3-3 after 6 games, does he stick with more of Brunell, go back to Ramsey after he pretty much burnned that bridge, or go with the rookie? Same thing for when/if Brunell gets hurt in a few weeks.

I could see making this move after a bad performance on Monday or after week 3, but this is just a early I think.

illdefined 09-13-2005 03:46 AM

19 minutes as starting QB. that has to be a record for a player healthy enough to play the week after. you'd be mindless not to question it.

Joe Knows... 09-13-2005 03:50 AM

I say, let's just give it a chance. This is a whole new year. A whole 365 days to learn more about the offense and get comfortable. A whole 365 days to heal and grow your muscles and get in better shape. A whole offseason and training camp to practice and touch up on your mechanics. A whole new Wide Reciever corp. (If you remember last year they dropped most of the balls thrown to them. Coles is still doing that in NY if you saw the highlights on NFL Primetime.) A ravamped and primed offensive line.

The only thing we really need is a QB that won't shoot us in the foot. All the other pieces are there.

So let's just give it a chance and see.

illdefined 09-13-2005 03:54 AM

yup if your name is Mark, you get all the chances in the world. everything you just said applied to Patrick as well, but he doesn't get a chance despite what Gibbs has said the entire offseason.

Luxorreb 09-13-2005 04:00 AM

Yes. In Gibbs I trust.

Ramsey has not proven anything. Brunell seldom makes bad decisions. Ramsey can't help it. He throws the ball up for grabs way too often. Brunell is no Peyton but is a proven NFL starter. If ya want compare career stats between Brunell and Ramsey and you make the call.

illdefined 09-13-2005 04:02 AM

[QUOTE=Luxorreb]If ya want compare career stats between Brunell and Ramsey and you make the call.[/QUOTE]

let's sign Joe Montana then.

Joe Knows... 09-13-2005 04:07 AM

[QUOTE=illdefined]let's sign Joe Montana then.[/QUOTE]

Better yet, Dan Marino!

RedskinPete 09-13-2005 04:32 AM

[QUOTE=offiss]DAMN STRAIGHT MEN!

Gibbs has a hard on for Brunell, he loves to harp on Ramsey for INT's while Ramsey is still learning Gibbs system and growing as a young QB, yet last season it was as if Brunell never had a turnover, yet his turnovers were the most costly of all, we lost 2 games as a direct result of his fumbles, but that's OK, Ramsey can drive the ball up and down the field all day and if he throws an INT he's crusified, yet Brunell can go drive after drive without a first down and it's fine, perhaps if Brunell actually tried to make a realistic attemt to get the ball downfield he might have a few more INT's as well, but we all know that ain't happening.

I really have lost respect for Gibbs in this matter, no way did Brunell do anything to unseat Ramsey, yet there it is he's starting, does anyone think Ramsey is getting 1/10 of the chance Brunell was given last year? No way! This is all about Gibbs not being able to swallow his pride and admit he royally screwed up in not only bringing Brunell in, but giving up the farm to do so, when we all knew he was being released, Gibbs came along and went after him as if he was the second coming of Marino.

Does anyone really believe Gibbs wasen't looking for any excuse whatsoever to put Ramsey on the bench? If you don't your only kidding yourself!

I am chalking another one up in the win column for dallas monday, the only good thing that will come out of it is the beating, and reality check, Gibbs and Brunell are going to have once Parcells get's through with them.[/QUOTE]

Fact of the matter is Ramsey is not read yet! He just may need more time!!! We have a better chance of winning with Brunell then Ramsey. Monday night in Dallas Ramsey would have little chance of getting the job done. I am not saying that Brunell will do that much better but he has been in games at the other guys home under fire. I just have this feeling that Brunell can pull this off with a week with the first O!

RedskinPete 09-13-2005 04:43 AM

[QUOTE=Joe Knows...]I say, let's just give it a chance. This is a whole new year. A whole 365 days to learn more about the offense and get comfortable. A whole 365 days to heal and grow your muscles and get in better shape. A whole offseason and training camp to practice and touch up on your mechanics. A whole new Wide Reciever corp. (If you remember last year they dropped most of the balls thrown to them. Coles is still doing that in NY if you saw the highlights on NFL Primetime.) A ravamped and primed offensive line.

The only thing we really need is a QB that won't shoot us in the foot. All the other pieces are there.

So let's just give it a chance and see.[/QUOTE]

I just watch Ramsey miss Recievers all perseason. Nine points in a game is not going to get it done. So why are we so bad on the O side of the ball???? Nine line,Good backs and pretty good WR and TE. So is it Bad QB's, Play calling or just the way we are going about attacking D's? Ramsey had his chance all perseason with the first O and now I think Burnell should get his to see if it can get better. You never know Burnell could be our D.Williams!!!! :cheers

Luxorreb 09-13-2005 04:48 AM

I hope I name my next pet Mark Brunell!!!
I gotta believe he is a piece of our playoff/superbowl puzzle.
There are many many pieces and don't forget it is a long season.
Most teams rely on more than 1 QB thru a season.

offiss 09-13-2005 05:25 AM

[QUOTE=RedskinPete]I just watch Ramsey miss Recievers all perseason. Nine points in a game is not going to get it done. So why are we so bad on the O side of the ball???? Nine line,Good backs and pretty good WR and TE. So is it Bad QB's, Play calling or just the way we are going about attacking D's? Ramsey had his chance all perseason with the first O and now I think Burnell should get his to see if it can get better. You never know Burnell could be our D.Williams!!!! :cheers[/QUOTE]

And Ramsey could be our Theisman, what you have to understand about Williams is this, his job was not to lose the game, where as Theisman, Rypien were out to win it, as Ramsey has been trying to do, unlike Brunell.

Pre-season is meaningless in this case, as if I can't figure out that Brunell had seasoned veterans [ala McCants] in going against a second and third string defenses, can we give Ramsey a chance to get caught up with game speed at least? I hope Gibbs treats Brunell equally with Ramsey which means Ramsey will be in the dallas game by the second quarter.

Brunell and his pre-season I have to laugh, didn't anyone watch this clown during the regular season last year? How bout giving Ramsey a chance to get acclamated to his new recieving corps at game speed before we give him the hook.

My thought is they think we now will have a running game and Brunell will just basically do whats neccasary to convert a third down here and there, boy are some people in for a rude awakening when we can't run the ball because of Brunells inability to play QB, my prediction is Portis will begin the uprise for Ramsey because he isn't going to remain silent while his carreer stats go down the tubes because Gibbs is in love with Brunell for a second year in a row.

That Guy 09-13-2005 06:26 AM

Give him a chance? he went 3-6 last year and looked pathetic, I think he was done years ago.

No, I'm not happy with this, and i'm not really hopeful that brunell is going to prove me wrong, but you never know...