Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Daily Press preview of game (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=7932)

BrudLee 09-19-2005 09:31 AM

Daily Press preview of game

It's funny, I'd have gone the exact opposite on nearly every position review they made.
[QUOTE]QUARTERBACKS

Both quarterbacks have plenty of experience. They've been in the league a combined 24 years. Dallas' Drew Bledsoe has a stronger arm and better accuracy, but Mark Brunell has the edge in mobility, which is key in a game like this because there will be plenty of blitzing. EDGE: Redskins.[/QUOTE]

Both QB's have holes in their games at this point, but if Jerry Jones called and offered a player swap, I'd have a contract on his desk before he had a chance to change his mind.

[QUOTE]RUNNING BACKS

Similar to the Redskins' Clinton Portis, Dallas RB Julius Jones fits the mold of a slasher. But Jones rarely goes down on first contact; Portis does. Portis is probably more of a big-play threat than Jones, but there won't be many long runs in this game. EDGE: Cowboys.[/QUOTE]

Jones is a stud, but I'll take Portis over him every day of the week.

[QUOTE]RECEIVERS

Keyshawn Johnson, Peerless Price and Terry Glenn give the Cowboys a blend of speed and possession receivers. Throw in TE Jason Witten and you see that Bledsoe has plenty of options. Redskins WRs David Patten and Santana Moss are long-ball threats, but they've got to get in sync with new starter Brunell. EDGE: Cowboys.[/QUOTE]

The Cowboys have the receivers to win the Super Bowl - unfortunately, it's Super Bowl XXXIV.

[QUOTE]OFFENSIVE LINEMEN

Although Jon Jansen and Chris Samuels are Pro Bowl-caliber linemen, they're not as effective as Dallas' Flozell Adams and Larry Allen. Behind Adams and Allen, Bledsoe had a 143.4 quarterback rating last week as the O-line gave up four sacks. Redskins quarterbacks suffered three sacks against Chicago. EDGE: Cowboys.[/QUOTE]

Moot comparison. Though Adams and Allen are both very good (in Allen's case, very [i]great[/i]), they are a combo that plays next to each other, not bookend tackles. That's like me saying club sandwiches are great, but they aren't coconut custard pie. I'll take our [U]five[/U] versus their [U]five[/U], despite Allen's historic advantage over Dockery/

[QUOTE]DEFENSIVE LINEMEN

Dallas' defensive line led, by NT La'Roi Glover, held San Diego's LaDanian Tomlinson - one of the league's best RBs - to just 72 yards rushing. The Cowboys use a six-man DL rotation in their 3-4 base defense to keep everybody fresh. But Washington's D-line does a better job than Dallas against the run. EDGE: Cowboys.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, with a caveat. If the Cowboys are playing a 3-4 and Washington in playing a 4-3, then Wasington's line in total will have better numbers - seeing as there's an extra dude.

[QUOTE]LINEBACKERS

The linebackers on both teams are very similar in size and athleticism, but the Redskins are in Year 2 of coach Gregg Williams' system. LaVar Arrington and Marcus Washington are potential Pro Bowlers. Dallas is still trying to learn the nuances of the 3-4 scheme, which relies heavily on linebackers. EDGE: Redskins.[/QUOTE]

See above answer.

[QUOTE]DEFENSIVE BACKS

Washington's Shawn Springs is one of the best CBs in the NFC East, but Dallas has perhaps the best duo at corner in Terence Newman and Anthony Henry. The Cowboys also have veteran Aaron Glenn coming in as a nickel back and a hard-hitting SS in Roy Williams. The Redskins secondary is also talented, but lacks depth. EDGE: Cowboys.[/QUOTE]

I'm not convinced Henry is the second best corner on their team (Aaron Glenn being no slouch), so making him part of the "best duo at corner" is tough. Remember as well that the impetus for the switch to the 3-4 scheme is Parcells lack of faith in his secondary.

[QUOTE]SPECIAL TEAMERS

Redskins K John Hall suffered a quadriceps injury against Chicago, so the club picked up Nick Novak, a rookie who has spent time with the Bears and the Cowboys. Dallas K Jose Cortez hasn't attempted a kick this season. The Cowboys coverage team struggled against San Diego KR Darren Sproles, who averaged 36.5 yards per return. Washington's coverage team allowed 17.3 yards per return last week. EDGE: Redskins.[/QUOTE]

I find it difficult to believe that Nick Novak (who I hope is the next big thing) is an upgrade over Cortez - and I don't have a lot of faith in Cortez. Our coverage teams are great (especially considering the Bears team we faced ran one back this week), but the kicking game will affect everything we do.

MTK 09-19-2005 09:41 AM

Re: Daily Press preview of game

I thought that article was strange too.

Jones over Portis??

Brunell over Bledsoe?

That Guy 09-19-2005 09:44 AM

I'd give cowboys QB, WRs, and Dline... our coverage is good, our return game isn't and even though our kickers might be rookies, their kickers totally suck, for sure. is it the same cortez that the 4-12 49ers booted and SS picked up for about 3 games before deciding to go out and bribe hall? cause that guy had a great backstory, but was beyond awful as a kicker.

cpayne5 09-19-2005 10:19 AM

Yup, its the same Jose Cortez.

Big C 09-19-2005 10:59 AM

id say this
QB- DalASS
RB- Redskins
WR- DalASS
OL-Redskins
DL-DalASS
LB-Redskins
S-Redskins
ST-Push

backrow 09-19-2005 12:13 PM

[QUOTE=Big C]id say this
QB- DalASS
RB- Redskins
WR- DalASS
OL-Redskins
DL-DalASS
LB-Redskins
S-Redskins
ST-Push[/QUOTE]

QB- Skins
RB - Skins
WR - Skins
OL - Skins
DL - Skins
LB - Skins
S - Skins
STs - Skins

:dallas: :dallas:

Warpath 09-19-2005 12:57 PM

[QUOTE=backrow]QB- Skins
RB - Skins
WR - Skins
OL - Skins
DL - Skins
LB - Skins
S - Skins
STs - Skins

:dallas: :dallas:[/QUOTE]

This is exactly how I see is as well! We can do it!

ladyfan06 09-19-2005 01:05 PM

[QUOTE=backrow]QB- Skins
RB - Skins
WR - Skins
OL - Skins
DL - Skins
LB - Skins
S - Skins
STs - Skins

:dallas: :dallas:[/QUOTE]

In the words of Stone Cold Steve Austin...."Can I get a Hell Yeah?"