Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Time to revisit my April post... (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=8092)

BigRed 09-23-2005 09:44 AM

Time to revisit my April post...

In April, I suggested that we try and trade Patrick Ramsey while we could still get some value for him. I still feel like it's a good idea, especially at this point. It is very well known that Detroit is looking for a QB... maybe we can ship him off to there for one of their receivers...

I'm sure there are other teams looking for a potential starter, too. (Or at least an experience backup.) He's not the future here, and barring a major injury, it won't be a good sign for the team if he goes into play anyway. (It likely means a losing streak of some magnitude for that to happen...) Even then, I think we're more likely to see Campbell if we really struggle at some point anyway.

I just don't know. It's just my 2 cents and I thought I'd throw it out there for discussion.

MTK 09-23-2005 10:17 AM

Re: Time to revisit my April post...

I doubt a deal would happen during the season.

That would really leave us thin at QB.

12thMan 09-23-2005 10:19 AM

It would be nice if they would unload one of those receivers - God knows they need a quaterback. But which one of those 1st rounders would they give us for Ramsey? Rodgers, Roy Williams, Mike Williams.....don't see it happening.

That Guy 09-23-2005 10:21 AM

[QUOTE=BigRed]In April, I suggested that we try and trade Patrick Ramsey while we could still get some value for him. I still feel like it's a good idea, especially at this point. It is very well known that Detroit is looking for a QB... maybe we can ship him off to there for one of their receivers...

I'm sure there are other teams looking for a potential starter, too. (Or at least an experience backup.) He's not the future here, and barring a major injury, it won't be a good sign for the team if he goes into play anyway. (It likely means a losing streak of some magnitude for that to happen...) Even then, I think we're more likely to see Campbell if we really struggle at some point anyway.

I just don't know. It's just my 2 cents and I thought I'd throw it out there for discussion.[/QUOTE]

because of the different systems, mid-season QB trades are extremely rare, and its very hard to insert them immediately into the lineup.

plus, detriot will have garcia back in a couple weeks, and he knows that offense extremely well and he's a better QB for them right now.

baltimore, detroit, cleveland and possibly miami will need a QB for next year though.

detroit really needs to upgrade its oline and playcalling though, those are bigger problems than their QB.

BrudLee 09-23-2005 10:24 AM

[QUOTE=BigRed]In April, I suggested that we try and trade Patrick Ramsey while we could still get some value for him. I still feel like it's a good idea, especially at this point. It is very well known that Detroit is looking for a QB... maybe we can ship him off to there for one of their receivers...

I just don't know. It's just my 2 cents and I thought I'd throw it out there for discussion.[/QUOTE]
I heard a tease on Fox Sports Radio that there was a potential suitor for Ramsey, but the signal faded before I got the story. Detroit would be a good fit for him, if Mooch thinks he can make it work. I doubt they'd be willing to part with one of their top three receivers, though, and I don't see a pressing need for Kevin Johnson on our roster.

Given the loss of Brandon Noble for this season, maybe we should press for a d-lineman? Marcus Bell is a five year veteran DT who is probably 4th in the Lions depth chart, and doesn't suck outright. Either line depth or a draft pick, in my eyes.

jamf 09-23-2005 12:36 PM

There was a report on NFL channel a few weeks ago(when we benched ramsey) that said the dolphins offered their number 1 this year. 3 or 4th overall!!!!! we really messed that one up...

celts32 09-23-2005 12:45 PM

[QUOTE=jamf]There was a report on NFL channel a few weeks ago(when we benched ramsey) that said the dolphins offered their number 1 this year. 3 or 4th overall!!!!! we really messed that one up...[/QUOTE]

That offer was made over a year ago after the skins signed Brunell and before the phins traded for AJ Feeley. Ramsey has no where near that kind of value now.

As for a lions trade that would really surprise me since Ramsey has shown not much more promise than Harrington since coming into the league. I would even trade Ramsey for Harrington in hopes that a change of scenery will help both of them. there is no way detroit would trade one of those WR's for Ramsey.

56FAN 09-23-2005 02:50 PM

i agree with celt32, also if you remember the opinion of ramsey sounded out be the nfl after his latest benching seems to have really dropped, potential yea but a real lack of progress and bad choices have hurt his value to us as well as the rest of the league.i still really like him but i wonder if he just needs a change. really hope it works out.

skinsguy 09-23-2005 04:10 PM

Nah...I don't see a trade of Ramsey in the works this year. Maybe next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't back on the team.

Fan4Life 09-23-2005 07:23 PM

I still dont know why the media hasnt jumped on this. On monday night countdown a reporter came from the skins locker room and said if MB gets hurt PR will finish the game, but if MB is out for any lenght of time J Cambell will get the start. If that isnt enough proof of PR tenure I dont know what is.

Beemnseven 09-23-2005 07:43 PM

Whether it happens this season or next off-season is inconsequential. Patrick Ramsey has all the trade value that Rod Gardner did after the 2004 season. Everybody knows he's damaged goods, that Gibbs doesn't want him, that he has no future with this team.

That translates to a 5th to 7th round pick in exchange at best.

Summo 09-23-2005 10:48 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]I doubt a deal would happen during the season.

That would really leave us thin at QB.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, heck trade him and we can sign 'ol Vinny Testaverde, lol

offiss 09-24-2005 12:21 AM

[QUOTE=Summo]Ahh, heck trade him and we can sign 'ol Vinny Testaverde, lol[/QUOTE]

Yea, we can give him 43 mil as well. :)

Every scout in the league knows we are running a joke of an offensive scheme, and Patricks demise is a product of the inability of Gibbs to coach offense in today's game, so I believe there are plenty of teams who would love to get their hands on Ramsey, Gus Ferotte is starting in miami, you can't tell me they aren't interested, I do not believe Tampa is sold on there QB situation, You also have the Cardinals, Bears, Detroit, Browns, Ravens, all need an upgrade at QB, if Patrick went on the market I believe we could get decent value, not because Gibbs know's what he has in Ramsey, but because of the competition between potential suiters will drive up his price.

illdefined 09-24-2005 12:26 AM

[QUOTE=offiss]Every scout in the league knows we are running a joke of an offensive scheme, and Patricks demise is a product of the inability of Gibbs to coach offense in today's game, so I believe there are plenty of teams who would love to get their hands on Ramsey, Gus Ferotte is starting in miami, you can't tell me they aren't interested, I do not believe Tampa is sold on there QB situation, You also have the Cardinals, Bears, Detroit, Browns, Ravens, all need an upgrade at QB, if Patrick went on the market I believe we could get decent value, not because Gibbs know's what he has in Ramsey, but because of the competition between potential suiters will drive up his price.[/QUOTE]

heh, but how do you really feel?

MTK 09-24-2005 12:27 AM

I think it's hard to say what Ramsey's value would be.

Despite the fact he's been yanked in and out of our lineup, there's also a view out there that he's simply not very good.

Scouts have said that he holds on to the ball too long, he doesn't read defenses all that well, he has problems with accuracy & touch, and he's simply not progressing. Kinda hard to argue with those opinions, we've seen all of that in his 4 years here.

I think a first rounder is definitely out of the question, a 2nd rounder maybe... but more likely a 3rd or lower.