Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Other Sports (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   2005-2006 Washington Wizards (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=8348)

CooleyAsCanBe 10-06-2005 02:26 PM

2005-2006 Washington Wizards

Anyone else getting excited about the Wizards season coming up? I know this is a Redskins site, but I love my Wizards as well.

The offseason had some ups (losing Kwame) and downs (losing Larry), but overall I think Grunfeld earned his salary by signing established players (Daniels, Atkins) and young talent (Butler). Larry is better than any one player we brought in, but we are unquestionably deeper than last year. Something that will help us later in the season, when we levelled off last year. I am especially excited to see everyone healthy--knock on wood.

I live in C-ville, so I am planning on making the trip to Richmond for this Saturday's training camp scrimmage at VCU. Only one question remains...Who is uglier, Booth or Ruffin? If only Popeye Jones stuck around, then there would be no doubt. Baby Ruuuuth!!!

TheMalcolmConnection 10-06-2005 02:37 PM

Re: 2005-2006 Washington Wizards

Hahahahahaha! He definitely had some Goonies-action going on!

itvnetop 10-06-2005 06:30 PM

i'm definitely hyped... we have way more depth now (if we'd have signed LH to what Cleveland did, there's no way the Wiz would have been serious contenders for the next five years... plus did you see the extension amare got? it was a little more than LH's contract- cleveland overpaid!).

jordan is focusing on defense this year, and i'm sure the wiz will keep up the offensive intensity. i think it's a better team than last year.

CooleyAsCanBe 10-06-2005 08:56 PM

Yeah, Larry was great but that was way too much money. I would be willing to pay Amare double what I would pay Larry. That guy is amazing.

Now if we can just keep our players from getting car-jacked.

That Guy 10-07-2005 12:19 AM

cleveland got desperate and felt they had to make a move to keep james happy... so they overpaid for a good, but not great, player.

itvnetop 10-07-2005 05:23 AM

yup, they're doing everything in their power to keep the king... this is, i think it's out of their hands... i have a feeling lebron's going to resurrect the garden after his contract runs out in cleveland.

CooleyAsCanBe 10-07-2005 09:09 AM

itvnetop, I see you are in L.A. You a Clippers or a Lakers fan? If you are a Lakers fan, thanks for Butler and Atkins. I can't remember...why did the Lakers give them to us for nothing?

Oh, right. Kwame. Man what a great day when that "trade" was announced.

That Guy 10-07-2005 06:41 PM

some people in LA were actually excited too... just like some people were excited about getting gardner for a 6th round pick (has he played a single down yet?).

CooleyAsCanBe 10-07-2005 07:12 PM

There are stunning similarities between Kwame's inability to hold onto the ball and Gardner's.

itvnetop 10-08-2005 08:54 AM

[QUOTE=CooleyAsCanBe]itvnetop, I see you are in L.A. You a Clippers or a Lakers fan? If you are a Lakers fan, thanks for Butler and Atkins. I can't remember...why did the Lakers give them to us for nothing?
[/QUOTE]

Wiz fan all the way (I just happen to live in LA nowadays)... not really a fan of the Clippers, but i can't stand the Lakers. I'm happy the Lakers got Kwame off our hands... I hope he fights with Kobe all year.

CooleyAsCanBe 10-08-2005 10:36 AM

[QUOTE=itvnetop]Wiz fan all the way (I just happen to live in LA nowadays)... not really a fan of the Clippers, but i can't stand the Lakers. I'm happy the Lakers got Kwame off our hands... I hope he fights with Kobe all year.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear. I also root for the Clippers at times. I think it has to do with my "always back the underdog" mentality from being a DC sports fan for so long. I can't stand the Lakers either.

CooleyAsCanBe 11-02-2005 02:56 PM

Tonight is the night!!!! I can't wait to see how all the off-season acquisitions mesh with our hold-overs form last year. Anyone else going to watch the game?

I love this time of year, when I can watch the Skins and the Wiz. CALVIN BOOOOOOOOOOOTH!!!!!!

Redskins_P 11-02-2005 03:15 PM

I'm really excited about tonight as well. I really think that Arenas is going to take it to the next level this year....possibly MVP status. I'm also excited about Butler, Daniels, and Atkins........

theBIGC_1982 11-02-2005 10:51 PM

[QUOTE=Redskins_P]I'm really excited about tonight as well. I really think that Arenas is going to take it to the next level this year....possibly MVP status. I'm also excited about Butler, Daniels, and Atkins........[/QUOTE]

And it's a nice win to start the season. Watch out for Jarvis Hayes. He dropped 17 points tonight. He had his stroke. People forget about him 'cause he's quiet, but the guy can shoot. If he stays healthy...

Jamison 29 & 9 boards; Arenas 21 & 7, yes 7, assists.

itvnetop 11-03-2005 03:06 AM

what a game tonight! daniels and butler are going to fit in fine (clutch assists at the end).

lebron is going for MVP this season.

BigSKINBauer 11-03-2005 01:20 PM

daniels did great, 1-0 bitch

CooleyAsCanBe 11-03-2005 01:44 PM

Watching the Raptors game, I always felt confident that we were the better team. We have some great pieces, but it was obvious by our play that we are still figuring out how to put it together. Jarvis did better than I had expected and Butler looked solid. Jamison did a great job of picking up the slack when Gil wasn't hitting his shots. In the first half it looked like Gil was trying too hard to make amazing moves. All he needs to do it speed past defenders, but he seemed to be forcing double move highlight reel wanna-be moves and losing the ball. In the second half he calmed down and looked like the man we all know and love. This is going to be a fun season.

It is great to have something else to watch during the week between Skins games.

SmootSmack 11-05-2005 11:07 PM

Nice start for the Wizards. 3-0 and giving up the fewest points per game in the league

That Guy 11-06-2005 03:35 AM

quality depth from 1-10 ;) that can't hurt...

BigSKINBauer 11-06-2005 10:14 AM

[QUOTE=TAFKAS]Nice start for the Wizards. 3-0 and giving up the fewest points per game in the league[/QUOTE]
that is wierdiest part, how are we doing anything on defense. i mean in the knicks game we blew a 18 point lead but that was our offense moreso than our defense i felt. If our defense is really any good we might be going far, arenas said that he worked specifically on his defense over the past frew months. larry gone is a huge bitch slap in our face to our defense but we have been winning with less than 90 points which never would happen last year. Agreed we have not played a nearly good offense but we are doing well, lets hope this continues

That Guy 11-06-2005 10:50 AM

everyone thinks larry is amazing on D just because he gets a lot of steals, but that's not necessarily true. I think we're missing his 20+ppg more than his defense.

AJ's stepped up though so far, and arenas is our guy... hopefully the others can figure out how to get some numbers up though.

itvnetop 11-06-2005 05:15 PM

the post D is definitely improved. there were 10 or more blocks last night against the magic. haywood's defense has directly led to fast break points.

BigSKINBauer 11-22-2005 07:26 PM

man the past week has been sports hell, the skins losing and the wizards losing. The thing is it really can not get worse, if the teams were absolutly horrible it is something you get used to but they both are playoff caliber teams and in the past couple weeks they have really hurt themselves. Lets hope we stop them damn nuggets

wiz down by 10 early in the game :( little man earl boykins just got behind arenas and stole the ball. Earl being 5'5 inthe NBA gives the rest of us no excuse

BigSKINBauer 11-23-2005 09:50 AM

BOTH MY TEAMS ARE 5-5 after starting off amazing. PLEASE O PLEASE WIN TONIGHT WIZ, if the wiz win it will be a good sign for sunday. I think the wiz play orlando, at orlando

BigSKINBauer 11-25-2005 11:37 PM

The wiz lost to the magic, i see that like the skins losing to the raiders, when a team is in a slump they sometimes just can't get anything to work out, the wiz played the pistons tonight a great team, and away at that, and the skins play a great team in san diego. The wiz needed just to play a big team to break out of their slump and go out not thinking about anything but that one HARD game, they showed it by going head to head against the number 1 team in the NBA into a double overtime game. I hope the skins can break out their slump as they haven't played good in 6 of their last 7 games