Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/)
-   -   If M. Williams is ruled out of draft, does Washington benefit? (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/883-if-m-williams-ruled-out-draft.html)

skins93 04-19-2004 03:27 PM

If M. Williams is ruled out of draft, does Washington benefit?

It looks like there is a good possiblity that Mike Williams will not be eligible for this draft and could go into the supplemental draft. If this happens, I believe the Skins benefit tremendously.

Many teams were hoping for one of the stud WR's (the Williams, Fitzgerald). So if a team was hoping one of them would drop to them, one of them might be more desperate to trade up giving up more to get Washington's #5.

Some of the teams that would be interesting are:

-Atlanta #8 (we could still get Harris, Wilfok, maybe Taylor)
-Jaqs #9 (ditto)
-Jets #12 (ditto)

What do you guys think?

BleedBurgundy 04-19-2004 03:29 PM

I'd say it benefits us in the following way. Williams is a big, possession style receiver. We have one of those that we might be willing to part with (Gardner) in exchange for the right draft pick...

skinsfanthru&thru 04-19-2004 03:33 PM

it is official that a stay has been granted in the case of the nfl vs. clarrett and those deemed underclassmen.

i dont think we'd be able to get taylor if we trade down past detroit or cleveland. it may have been a rumour but we still need to remember the proposed new england deal with detroit. i think we stand pat and get taylor or winslow, i keep swaying from which one i want us to draft. they made a point on the nfl draft show on espn that I hadn't thought of and that's if we draft winslow and put him in motion or in the slot, it would open up even more holes for portis.

skinsfanthru&thru 04-19-2004 03:35 PM

would anyone be against us using our supplemental pick if we get a chance to draft mike williams and thus lose our 1st rounder next year? i know wr isn't really a weakness right now but how can u pass on talent like that in a secondary draft.

BleedBurgundy 04-19-2004 03:35 PM

[QUOTE=skinsfanthru&thru]i dont think we'd be able to get taylor if we trade down past detroit or cleveland. it may have been a rumour but we still need to remember the proposed new england deal with detroit.[/QUOTE]

ESPN Insider is reporting that the New England/ Detroit rumour was really exaggerated.

I agree about not trading down. We need more picks but not at the expense of drafting Taylor or Winslow.

BleedBurgundy 04-19-2004 03:37 PM

[QUOTE=skinsfanthru&thru]would anyone be against us using our supplemental pick if we get a chance to draft mike williams and thus lose our 1st rounder next year? i know wr isn't really a weakness right now but how can u pass on talent like that in a secondary draft.[/QUOTE]

We could use him as a receiving tight end. That's what some of the NFL scouts are projecting him as H-back/tight end. We could pick up Taylor and still get a great talent at H-back. Not sure how the picking order for the supplemental draft goes though...

skins93 04-19-2004 03:38 PM

I would be all in favor of getting Williams in the supplemental draft. Obviously we lose our 1st rounder next year, but how can you pass on a guy who could potentially be a T.O. without the BS.

With our depth at WR, we could bring him along slowly and let him grow, mature, etc.

How many WR are 6'5, a solid 230? How can a CB who weighs generally 180-200 lbs cover a guy like that? Even Boston when he decided to play last year was spectacular.

BleedBurgundy 04-19-2004 03:42 PM

I don't think Williams is fast enough to ever be a number one WR. Am I wrong on this? The reports I read said that he ran a 4.59 on a fast surface, in spiked track shoes, so scouts are "projecting that time to a 4.7." However they do that...

skins93 04-19-2004 03:48 PM

Williams isn't the fastest WR, but I think he could eventually become a great #1 wideout. Fitzgerald was only clocked in the 4.5 in the 40. Plus, look at a guy like T.O. who isn't the fastest WR on the field but he makes plays. Same thing about Williams. I think with that body, defenses would have a hard time covering or even tackling a guy like that.

If speed was the only factor judging a #1, then Jerry Rice would have been a #2 all his life.

SKINSnCANES 04-19-2004 03:50 PM

Anyone know what type of salary he might demand if he goes in the supplemental draft? A lot of people have had issues with is speed. He just finished the most intensive speed training program and still barely broke 4.6 after intense training and on a speedy surface. Hes not going to keep up that training all the time, it was solely for his 40 time. We'll see hwat happens in the court case first. I dont think we should give upa first round choice for him.

skinsfanthru&thru 04-19-2004 03:51 PM

[QUOTE=BleedBurgundy]I don't think Williams is fast enough to ever be a number one WR. Am I wrong on this? The reports I read said that he ran a 4.59 on a fast surface, in spiked track shoes, so scouts are "projecting that time to a 4.7." However they do that...[/QUOTE]

that's one thing that goes against him though because what some reports have said is that he's two different players when it comes to practice(scouting tryouts) and his play during an actual game. i know practice stands for something but his gametime talent is way up there. plus he's only what 20 years old and I'm sure he wouldn't be the first wr without blazing speed to be a team's #1 wr. and if he came here the highest he'd most likely be as long as coles is on the team is the #2 wr.

and for the way the picks r done in the supplemental draft from what I understand is kind of like the NBA's draft lottery. teams with 6 or less wins are randomly selected to determine the order. so we have a one in 13 chance I believe to get the first selection. the worst problem i could see with us drafting him in the supplemental is the contract debate since he was arguablly a top 15 pick in the real draft.

skinsfanthru&thru 04-19-2004 03:53 PM

and i have no idea how they tabulate a players speed from turf to grass and vice versa.

BleedBurgundy 04-19-2004 03:54 PM

[QUOTE=skinsfanthru&thru]that's one thing that goes against him though because what some reports have said is that he's two different players when it comes to practice(scouting tryouts) and his play during an actual game. [/QUOTE]

Good point. I'll take game performance over practice any day of the week, but it can't be a good sign when more and more scouts are talking about turning him into a tight end.

SKINSnCANES 04-19-2004 03:56 PM

Hes going to aruge to get the big paycheck still. And because of that I dont knwo if any team would select him in the first round of the supplemental draft. Well, im sure someone would but I dont think we should. Giving up next years draft choice might be an ok idea if we get somethign we need. Why waste the pick on something we dont need. Then we dont have a first round pick to fill a hole next year.

BleedBurgundy 04-19-2004 03:58 PM

With our depth at WR, we would have to be retarded to give up our first round pick next year... unless Gibbs comes through like we all hope and it's the 32nd pick in the draft!