Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   movies (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=906)

skinsfanthru&thru 04-21-2004 02:48 AM

movies

I'm a bigtime movie lover and i was wondering what r some of your guy's favorite films that in your mind weren't really blockbuster hits or well known movies, but still great movies to you?

SmootSmack 04-21-2004 03:05 AM

Well here's my list of favorite movies of all time, no particular order:

The Ice Storm
Swingers
Big Night
Memento
Crouching Tiger
Young Frankenstein
Ocean's Eleven
Toy Story 1 and 2
The General (Buster Keaton flick)
Almost any Chaplin flick
Back to the Future Trilogy

I know a lot of these were hits. They don't make my all time faves list, but I always thought The Fifth Element and Gattaca were undderrated

skinsfanthru&thru 04-21-2004 03:17 AM

[QUOTE=smootsmack]Well here's my list of favorite movies of all time, no particular order:

The Ice Storm
Swingers
Big Night
Memento
Crouching Tiger
Young Frankenstein
Ocean's Eleven
Toy Story 1 and 2
The General (Buster Keaton flick)
Almost any Chaplin flick
Back to the Future Trilogy

I know a lot of these were hits. They don't make my all time faves list, but I always thought The Fifth Element and Gattaca were undderrated[/QUOTE]

never saw gattaca but love fifth element. "Super Green." the only reason i watched ice storm was because of christinia ricci. i've heard a lot of good things about memento and need to check that out and i completely agree about young frankenstein and the toy story movies being great movies. i think blazing saddles is funnier than young frankenstein a little bit but the ending of blazing saddles kinda sucks. of course i love pretty much every mel brooks movie ala men in tights, high anxiety as well, and of course space balls.

Ghost 04-21-2004 03:55 AM

Not sure if these qualify ... some were "hits" but maybe not everyone has seen or heard of them.

True Romance -- great Tarantino-inspired gangster/big score film featuring Christopher Walken, Dennis Hopper and Gary Oldman in some of the best performances of their careers.

Killing Zoe -- cool bank robbery flick set in Paris. Julie Delpy gets naked.

Diner -- an underrated classic.

When We Were Kings -- documentary of the Rumble in the Jungle. Shows why Ali, in his prime, was possibly the coolest and baddest dude who ever lived.

Run Lola Run -- German film featuring multiple realities, chase scenes, unique cinematic techniques, good music.

Seven Samurai -- Akira Kurosawa's masterpiece, the inspiration for The Magnificant Seven. Samurai defending village, dying brilliantly. If you like this, check out Ran and also Throne of Blood.

American History X -- Ed Norton is almost unrecognizable as a reformed nazi skinhead, a really powerful film, one scene in particular is disturbingly violent.

Barfly -- Hardcore drunks in love. Mickey Rourke plays Charles Bukowski's alter ego, the poet/brawler Henry Chinaski: "Another drink for my friends!"

Hedwig and the Angry Inch -- Great music, funny, bizzare, original.

Das Boot ("The Boat") -- A German U-Boat crew going through hell ... you really feel the claustrophobia.

Go -- ravers do drugs, have adventures, almost get killed, etc. Borrowing from Kurosawa and others, it tells a story from three different perspectives. Great sequence in Vegas.

MTK 04-21-2004 08:24 AM

Memento
The Matrix
Goodfellas
American History X
Last of the Mohicans
Office Space
A Bronx Tale
Heat
Braveheart
Gladiator
Coming to America
Swingers
Roger and Me
Hoosiers
Oceans' Eleven
Goodwill Hunting
Insomnia
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
The Shining

JoeRedskin 04-21-2004 08:45 AM

Casablanca
Spiderman
Treasure Planet
Shrek
Hoosiers
Goodwill Hunting
Pulp Fiction
Young Frankenstein
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Hunt For Red October
Kelly's Heroes
Crimson Tide
Patton
Bridge over the River Kwai
Key Largo
Lifeboat
To Have and Have Not
A Bridge to Far
Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back
Indiana Jones
Finding Forrester
Dead Poet's Society

skinsfanthru&thru 04-21-2004 12:27 PM

[QUOTE=Ghost]American History X -- Ed Norton is almost unrecognizable as a reformed nazi skinhead, a really powerful film, one scene in particular is disturbingly violent.[/QUOTE]

are you talking about the prison scene or what he does to that guy on the curb? both were pretty gruesome in my opinion, but overall that was a really good movie even though it's about a part of our society i'd like to ignore.

some of my favorite films that to some extent i don't think they really got the recognition they deserved.

-Dogma-one of the funniest movies i've ever seen(kevin smith is a genuis)
-Tomcats
-Dragon:The Bruce Lee Story
-the evil dead series but mainly Army of Darkness
-Any Given Sunday
-Equillibrium-interesting storyline somewhat in the same tone as farenheit 451 but with awesome ass gun play and a sword fighting scene.
-Wild Things- for several obvious reasons but it had a suprising good plot with good acting
-Stir of Echoes
-Benny and Joon
-Ed Wood
-13th Warrior
-Le Pacte des loups (brotherhood of the wolf) interesting storyline and awesome fight scenes.
-Spirited Away
-Spriggan
-Starship Troopers
-Tombstone
-Pitch Black
-Seven
-The Secret of NIMH
-Neverending Story
-Clash of the Titans

I'm sure I'll think of some more when i get my stuff out of storage when we finish our move.

MTK 04-21-2004 12:34 PM

American History X is a tough movie to watch, but I think the message is great. The scene where Norton and his brother are taking down the nazi stuff off his bedroom walls is pretty powerful.

RedskinRat 04-21-2004 12:58 PM

In no particular order:

Fight Club
Your Friends and Neighbors
Happiness
Pulp Fiction
Enter the Dragon
Rapid Fire
Blazing Saddles
Airplane
Se7en
12 Monkeys
The Bourne Identity
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Monty Python's Life of Brian
Monty Python's Meaning of Life
Blade I & II
The Road To .....with Crosby and Hope.
Kagemusha
Swingers
High Society
The Mask
Lord of the Rings trilogy

SmootSmack 04-21-2004 05:51 PM

By the way, if you guys haven't seen "Comedian" I definitely recommend it. It's a documentary primarily featuring Seinfeld, Colin Quinn, and Ray Romano. Just following them along on their stand up act, good stuff to watch

RedskinRat 04-21-2004 06:00 PM

And any films that the Marx Brothers did.

NY_Skinsfan 04-21-2004 07:28 PM

Not in any order...
Rudy
Hoosiers
Gladiator (with Cuba Gooding Jr., not Russell Crowe)
Eight men Out
The Natural
The Jerk
Kung Pow
Say Anything
Legend
The Princess Bride
Enemy Mine
Diggstown
Cadence
High Fidelity (actually, most John Cusack films)

skinsfanthru&thru 04-21-2004 07:41 PM

[QUOTE=NY_Skinsfan]Not in any order...
Rudy
Hoosiers
Gladiator (with Cuba Gooding Jr., not Russell Crowe)
Eight men Out
The Natural
The Jerk
Kung Pow
Say Anything
Legend
The Princess Bride
Enemy Mine
Diggstown
Cadence
High Fidelity (actually, most John Cusack films)[/QUOTE]

i don't know how the heck i forgot the princess bride and i agree with gladiator
(the one with and the one without crowe.) i watched it the other night. i think that was right before cuba became a big time name.

JWsleep 04-21-2004 08:12 PM

Impossible to really pin it down, but:

Casablanca
His Gal Friday
Maltese Falcon
Godfathers 1 and 2
Starwars
Apocalypse Now
All the Coen Bros. flicks (the Big Lebowski rules)
Jaws
Raiders of the lost Ark
Marx bros
Drunken Master 2
Sleeper
Its a wonderful life
Reservoir Dogs
A Clockwork Orange
Brazil
THIS IS SPINAL TAP!!!!

I've really been grooving on the following 4 flicks:
Being John Malcovich
Adaptation
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

All written by Charlie Kaufman. Very trippy indeed.

There are a million more...

Ghost 04-21-2004 09:31 PM

[QUOTE=skinsfanthru&thru]are you talking about the prison scene or what he does to that guy on the curb? [/QUOTE]

What he does to that guy on the curb. Sick. Spirited Away is one of the best animated films I've ever seen, though nothing can touch the original Fantasia.

joecrisp 04-21-2004 09:32 PM

I agree with a lot of the films you guys have posted. I have one in particular that I'd like to add: [i]Bottle Rocket[/i].

It was the film that introduced brothers Owen and Luke Wilson to the world, and was co-written by Owen Wilson. It's one of the most well-written comedies I've ever seen. Most of the truly funny moments are so subtle that a lot of people miss them on the first go-round. It's one of those films that gets better with each and every viewing.

Definitely not for those who like to be hit over the head with their comedy. It seems like everyone I've ever introduced to this movie has either loved it or was completely underwhelmed by it. I guess it depends on your sense of humor.

If you liked Rushmore and The Royal Tennenbaums, you'll probably like Bottle Rocket, as all three were directed and written/co-written by Wes Anderson. Personally, I think Bottle Rocket blows the other two away. I guess it's a little like falling in love with your favorite band's first album, and any subsequent material can't seem to measure up to the initial work. Bottle Rocket was Anderson's and Wilson's first significant work, and to me it is the quintessential expression of their respective artistic visions.

Daseal 04-21-2004 09:54 PM

So NYSkinsFan, you were the one guy that went to see Kung Pow eh!

I must say I love American History X. Definitly a big screen movie, as far as I'm concerned.

I love goofy comedys for the most part:
Night at the Roxbury
Another teen movie
scary movies
american pies
zoolander (really funny if you haven't seen it)
Monty Python
many others.

I also love 'nam movies!
FULL METAL JACKET!!!
Apocalypse Now
Platoon

those are my 3 favorites!

NY_Skinsfan 04-21-2004 10:11 PM

[QUOTE=Daseal]So NYSkinsFan, you were the one guy that went to see Kung Pow eh!
[/QUOTE]

Someone gave me the DVD...Man, I think it is hilarious.

skinsfanthru&thru 04-22-2004 01:36 AM

[QUOTE=NY_Skinsfan]Someone gave me the DVD...Man, I think it is hilarious.[/QUOTE]

my best friend and i saw it on it's opening weekend and there were only 3 or 4 other people in the theater but it was funny as hell.