Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Carlos Rogers (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=9294)

12thMan 11-28-2005 10:24 AM

Carlos Rogers

Yes, I know we are all upset and bitter about a multitude of things after yesterday's lost.

But I felt one bright spot yesterday was the play of Carlos Rogers. Although he has a ways to go, I think we have nothing to lose by starting him for the remainder of the season.

Unlike Walt Harris has been, Rogers was in position more than a few times yestrday to make plays and his run support was very decent. I think his development is very encouraging for a defense that may face yet another off-season of transition.

It's really mind boggling to think that our first interceptions by our corners came in week 11.

Daseal 11-28-2005 10:27 AM

Re: Carlos Rogers

He almost beat LT in a footrace, that says something too.

56FAN 11-28-2005 10:41 AM

What has happened to harris? he was doing real well in the beginning. now look at him.carlos should be starting. harris is playing like he is scared.

EternalEnigma21 11-28-2005 12:37 PM

harris is a great nickel corner, and I think he'll start shining again against slot guys. He just gets exposed on the outside, and his tackling needs some work. Rogers did impress me yesterday being in position to make plays and getting there on the run support.

BDBohnzie 11-28-2005 12:48 PM

Carlos Rogers will start next week. He took over as the #2 CB at one point during the game, and will ride it out. Harris is a good nickel cover guy, just not dependable to be a go-to guy. This is crucial, considering the speed of the receivers in the next 2 games (Rams, Cardinals).

FirstandTen 11-28-2005 12:50 PM

[QUOTE=BDBohnzie]Carlos Rogers will start next week. He took over as the #2 CB at one point during the game, and will ride it out. Harris is a good nickel cover guy, just not dependable to be a go-to guy. This is crucial, considering the speed of the receivers in the next 2 games (Rams, Cardinals).[/QUOTE]

Rogers played a good game and it did appear he took over the #2 spot towards the end of the game... Its funny how fast things change. I remember Threads last week proclaiming him a BUST....

TheMalcolmConnection 11-28-2005 12:53 PM

Man, he was all over the field. He looked like a different guy, like someone playing with some confidence.

12thMan 11-28-2005 01:11 PM

I think Rogers will begin to settle in and show us good things. Hopefully he'll help the run defense down the road as well.

Seems like he's pretty good getting accross the line of scrimage and forcing plays. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 11-28-2005 01:11 PM

I can deal with losses and I'm with this team until I'm dead and buried. What frustrates me more than anything else are calls for half our roster to be overturned, Gibbs to be shot, or anything else that sounds like Madden/fantasy team owner talk.

12thMan 11-28-2005 01:22 PM

[QUOTE=Ramseyfan]I can deal with losses and I'm with this team until I'm dead and buried. What frustrates me more than anything else are calls for half our roster to be overturned, Gibbs to be shot, or anything else that sounds like Madden/fantasy team owner talk.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on that one. As frustrated as I am, I'm still convinced we have a solid team that tends to lose it's bearing at the end of games. We will rebound, but I don't think wholesale changes are the remedy.

I could see if we're talking about our neighbors 30 minutes up the road!!!

That Guy 11-28-2005 07:17 PM

he did play well, but not as well as marcus did... that must have been his best game ever. It was nice that rodgers didn't get beat like a rented mule this week, but the SD receivers are very average. He'll definately show where he's at the next two weeks though. bad teams, below average QBs, but great WR tandems.

jdlea 11-28-2005 07:28 PM

While I was encouraged by his improvement, he did get beat a couple of times and Brees missed or he just flat out got beat. I think he is coming along and I think he should start. However, I still think, at this point, he's not a huge improvement over Harris. He did give up the 3rd and 14, but he made other nice plays on deep balls.

I think, all in all, he's the better of the 2. I like that we're not getting carried away just because he looked pretty good for part of the game. He does have a long way to go, but this week was encouraging. He still needs to play a little closer to wideouts on short routes, but he looked alright against the deep ball. Basically, he'll be an upgrade, but he won't shut down that side of the field. Not that they necessarily need him to.

dblanch66 11-28-2005 08:19 PM

Coverage is something that most rookie corners have to improve upon. Very rarely does a guy come out of college and dominate at the corner position (see Charles Woodson). BUT...Rogers is a very strong tackler and when he has some experience under his belt, he will be better than Champ Bailey. Book it.

Big C 11-28-2005 10:03 PM

rogers looked good yesterday. he will be a big part of this defense for a long time

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 11-28-2005 10:32 PM

No thoughts of regret? I thought a lot of people were upset by the Rogers pick. Just last week people were bashing him for not cracking the starting lineup.