Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Portis Threatening to Break Club's Single-Season Rushing Record (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=9453)

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 12-06-2005 10:06 PM

Portis Threatening to Break Club's Single-Season Rushing Record

In the 2001 season, tailback Stephen Davis set the franchise single-season rushing record (by breaking his previous record of 1,405 rushing yards in the 1999 season) with 1,432 yards on 356 carries, averaging 4.0 yards per carry.

Currently, Clinton Portis has 1,079 yards on 243 carries, averaging 4.3 yards per carry. So, Portis needs just 327 rushing yards over the next four games to break Stephen Davis’ single-season rushing record. My question to you is, will Portis do it?

My predictions:
130 yards against the Cardinals
85 yards against the Cowboys
55 yards against the Giants
115 yards against the Eagles
Total: 385 yards in the next four games, totaling 1,437 yards on the season and beating Davis’ record by 5 yards.

onlydarksets 12-06-2005 10:07 PM

Re: Portis Threatening to Break Club's Single-Season Rushing Record

I agree - he'll beat it. However, I think he'll get more yards against the Giants and fewer against the Cowgirls.

BigSKINBauer 12-06-2005 10:29 PM

eagles are capable of shutting down runners, i think that the giants will be a game where he can break open but cowboys will be tough. He is on pace for 1438 and he has some easier run defenses than before
The teams we have played averages

Chicago 93.2
Dallas 101.8
Seahawks 104.7
Denver 86.5
KC 91.8
9ers 115.1
Giants 92.7
e-girls 111.8
BUcs 93.8
Raiders 118.8
Chargers 79.4
Rams 138.8

Total Average:102.3336
Remaining games
Arizona 112.5
Dallas 101.8
Giants 92.7
e-girls 111.8
Average 105.9

He was already on pace with slightly harder teams and now with the remaining schedule he should stay on track

YES

onlydarksets 12-06-2005 10:37 PM

I'd love to see him break 1500 just so the commentators will stop talking about how he rushed for over 1500 yards in each his first two seasons and then didn't do it with the Skins.

SmootSmack 12-06-2005 10:40 PM

He'll break it...then we can start a new thread "Is it Portis or the Offensive Line-Part 2?"

skinsfanthru&thru 12-07-2005 02:37 AM

if he get's into a groove I could easily see him getting more than half of that in one game, but he needs atleast 25 carries a game. I'm going way out on a limb and saying he either gets 180+ vs Arizona or returns the favor against the giants that Barber dished out to our defense. It'd be kewler though if he was close to beating Riggins td record :headbange

That Guy 12-07-2005 04:58 AM

he could have already had close to 1500, but gibbs pulls him pretty fast (150 more with the 49ers and another 100 with the rams)... hopefully he can pull it out, iggles and giants can shut runners down if that's their focus though.

he ran well on chicago and tampa of all people... is there some flaw with cover 2 that no one else knows about?

Southpaw 12-07-2005 11:59 AM

How could he possibly beat the Redskins single season rushing record when he doesn't fit into Gibbs' offensive scheme? Betts fits into the scheme sooo much better... he's only averaging 3.7ypg against the division... blah blah...

firstdown 12-07-2005 12:02 PM

I voted yeas because I think as a team we will need everyone of those yards to win our next four games. If Rock keeps running the way he has it could make it tougher for Portis to hit that mark. What I mean is that Gibbs will give Portis more time to stay freash if we don't have a drop off in Rock. I would realy like to see him have more two TD days that would help most of all.

MTK 12-07-2005 12:06 PM

He should be able to run it up pretty good on the Cards this week. I'm saying at least 125 and a TD this week.

Dallas, NY & Philly obviously will be tougher tasks.

onlydarksets 12-07-2005 12:22 PM

I'd like to see him get at least 10 TDs this year as well. However, I think getting him 1500 yards would be a huge psychological boost for CP (not that he hasn't been playing well).

dmek25 12-07-2005 02:48 PM

i not really sure what skins fans expected when c portis came here.i think people saw him running for 70 yard touchdowns everytime he touched the ball.i think he is a stud running back in this league,that will do whatever it takes to win.i think next year,giving our line one more year together,will be a monster year for all skins.as far as this year,playoffs for the skins,and portis to the pro bowl

memphisskin 12-07-2005 03:31 PM

Getting him to 1500 would be great bevause if he gets that many yards then that means that we have a shot to win each of the remaining games.

VTSkins897 12-07-2005 04:28 PM

[QUOTE=dmek25]i not really sure what skins fans expected when c portis came here.i think people saw him running for 70 yard touchdowns everytime he touched the ball.i think he is a stud running back in this league,that will do whatever it takes to win.i think next year,giving our line one more year together,will be a monster year for all skins.as far as this year,playoffs for the skins,and portis to the pro bowl[/QUOTE]

yeah i agree. it's beem shown that anyone can run in denver and good for them. CP hasn't been what we've thought but i think it's mainly because of lofty expectations. he still has sweet runs here and there and due to overall offensive improvement he's playing near to what can be reasonably expected from a gibbs system.

railcon56 12-07-2005 05:21 PM

He's ready to run wild ..I just have that feeling....