Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Another Draft/Trade Rumor (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=957)

silent1903 04-23-2004 01:23 PM

[QUOTE=celts32]I agree completely. We constantly add stars, but it's the gaping holes in outher areas that always come back to ahunt them. I like the idea of trading down for multiple picks. I would try and squeeze one more later round pick out of New England and then make this deal. I would also look to then trade down from #21 to accumulate more picks. The Redskins have ignored the draft for years they should take this opportunity to infuse the roster with youth in many areas as opposed to adding one more star.

Don't get me wrong Taylor & Winslow are great but after adding one of them the team still would have gaping holes elsewhere with no more high picks left to fill them.[/QUOTE]

Don't agree with this. In that case, why don't we trade all higher picks away for lower ones - perhaps we could get 10 or 12 4th or 5th rounders? The risk increases of players not making the grade in the NFL the lower the pick. Take as much of a certainty as we can, on defense, DRAFT TAYLOR!!!

jasonskin 04-23-2004 02:01 PM

NO NO NO NO NO. We take sean taylor at the 5 next year will there be another sean taylor NO.Next year will there be d-line help YES and a lot. Joe gots a 5 year deal not a 1 year deal.you can not build a superbowl team in one year but you can get a bad ass player in sean taylor

jermus22 04-23-2004 02:13 PM

Get Taylor

I agree! A guy like Taylor comes along only once in a blue moon. Our corners will need help in the secondary, especially with T.O. now in Philly and Keyshawn in Dallas. Taylor can help in coverage and also intimidate as a hitter and blitzer. Gibbs himself said we can't expect the 'Skins to be a playoff team in one season. We'll need time to build our d-line.

SmootSmack 04-23-2004 02:18 PM

Welcome to the Warpath Jermus....tell us about yourself

SKINSnCANES 04-23-2004 03:22 PM

I dont like the trade at all. Look at the last five NFL drafts and compare 20 and 21, to the 5th pick. Ill list all the players taken below and see if you can pair up a 20 and a 21 from any of the years and make them better than any player taken at 5.

2003: 20-George Foster, 21-Jeff Faine, 5- Terrance Newman
2002: 20-Jevon Walker, 21-Daniel Graham, 5-Quentin Jammer
2001: 20-Adam Archuleta 21-Nate Clements, 5-Ladanian Tomlinson
2000: 20-Stocker McDougle, 21-Slyvester Morris, 5-Jamal Lewis
1999: 20-Ebenizer Ekuban, 21- LJ Shelton, 5- Ricky Williams

SKINSnCANES 04-23-2004 03:24 PM

dlinemen have the highest bust rate of any position and are the hardest to scout. Taken a chance on the 5th or 6th one taken doesnt increase your odds to much. We added a lot of players in free agency, we need the impact guy to come in, start and make a difference.

kingerock 04-23-2004 05:21 PM

A high pick isn't always a promised star. He could turn out to be another Ryan Leaf or Drew Brees. Take the lower picks for depth.

On a side note, my life is so much more complete now that I have a whole forum of Redskins fans to argue with rather than just my wife and 4 year old daughter. I love you guys!!! :-)

RedskinRat 04-23-2004 05:25 PM

I'll trust in whatever Coach Gibbs chooses to do. Now if it was just Dan, Vinnie and Steve......

joecrisp 04-23-2004 05:30 PM

[QUOTE=kingerock]On a side note, my life is so much more complete now that I have a whole forum of Redskins fans to argue with rather than just my wife and 4 year old daughter. I love you guys!!! :-)[/QUOTE]
Thanks, kingerock! We're happy to have you as part of the Warpath family!

Gmanc711 04-23-2004 05:46 PM

Who wants to hear this one... some idiot just IMed me saying were trading Portis to Oakland. Why , would you ask? Because we wouldnt give him #26. This crap is out of control. I cant wait until we pick tomamrow so this garbage is over.

skinsfanthru&thru 04-23-2004 08:19 PM

[QUOTE=Gmanc711]Who wants to hear this one... some idiot just IMed me saying were trading Portis to Oakland. Why , would you ask? Because we wouldnt give him #26. This crap is out of control. I cant wait until we pick tomamrow so this garbage is over.[/QUOTE]

that would be the absolute dumbest reason to trade a perinial(sp?) probowl stud of a running back. that guys a dillhole.

SKINSnCANES 04-23-2004 09:40 PM

Im surprised none of you had more to say about those stats I put up about the last five number five picks compared to the talent at 20 and 21. There are always busts in the top five to, but if you look at the last five years it seems like the fifth pick is the spot to be at. The top four always draft QBs because teams are always looking for their future QB. Most of the time the QB isnt even rated as teh highest players but you have to try and take the best ones. Pick five is where the best talent in the draft has been taken in recent years. Even this year, peopel think Sean Taylor is one of the most talented players, peopel think that of Winslow to. And both have a chance to go at 5.

skinsfanthru&thru 04-24-2004 12:42 AM

[QUOTE=SKINSnCANES]Im surprised none of you had more to say about those stats I put up about the last five number five picks compared to the talent at 20 and 21. There are always busts in the top five to, but if you look at the last five years it seems like the fifth pick is the spot to be at. The top four always draft QBs because teams are always looking for their future QB. Most of the time the QB isnt even rated as teh highest players but you have to try and take the best ones. Pick five is where the best talent in the draft has been taken in recent years. Even this year, peopel think Sean Taylor is one of the most talented players, peopel think that of Winslow to. And both have a chance to go at 5.[/QUOTE]

well 2001 and 2002's drafts at those spots compare pretty well in my opinion cuz it's like jammer has played great and 2001's archuleta is a heck of a safety and nate clements is a very solid cb. i say this and i think LT is the best running back in the league but the two players talked about combined aren't shabby either. i think at the end of vick and LT's careers, tomlinson will have had the better one between the two because as spectacular as vick is, he's not a qb who can take a lot of hits especially with his eagerness to run from the pocket.

BrudLee 04-24-2004 12:57 AM

[QUOTE=SKINSnCANES]Im surprised none of you had more to say about those stats I put up about the last five number five picks compared to the talent at 20 and 21. There are always busts in the top five to, but if you look at the last five years it seems like the fifth pick is the spot to be at. The top four always draft QBs because teams are always looking for their future QB. Most of the time the QB isnt even rated as teh highest players but you have to try and take the best ones. Pick five is where the best talent in the draft has been taken in recent years. Even this year, peopel think Sean Taylor is one of the most talented players, peopel think that of Winslow to. And both have a chance to go at 5.[/QUOTE]
Three of those five picks were rb's, and in at least two of those cases were projected to go higher. I know where you're coming from, but the comparison may not be valid here. Drafting a safety at #5 (which I wholeheartly advocate), is a lot different than drafting a tailback.

SKINSnCANES 04-24-2004 01:00 AM

either way, look at the players at 20 and 21