Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Where is Santana Moss? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=9580)

Stacks42 12-12-2005 03:06 PM

Where is Santana Moss?

Can anyone figure out why we are not getting the ball to Santana? I know people say his is double and triple covered, and that we have no credible #2, but I bet most people dont know who the #2 in Carolina is, Steve Smith lights it up week in and week out, I personally think that it is Brunell. He looks to dump the ball off way too soon, there was a replay yesterday where Farris was wide open accross the middle and Brunell throws the ball away when he had plenty of time. I have also seen Moss open and Brunell either runs out of the pocket (with no pressure) and then dumps it to Cooley or Royal. I just want some action in the passing game, we have been able to run the ball the past couple of weeks (but that was against mediocre D's) if we cant get a credible downfield passing attack, sooner than later Portis is going to get shut down. All of the papers are crediting the skins D with making the Cards offense one dimensional, didnt they do the exact same thing to us?

saden1 12-12-2005 03:15 PM

Re: Santana

Santana isn't going to be given the deep route plays anymore, but I'm puzzled as why the coaches aren't calling his number for more medium 15-20 yard plays. Perhaps they are protecting him from taking a licking in the middle?

redsk1 12-12-2005 03:33 PM

I don't think there is one thing you can put your finger on. I think defenses are double teaming Moss deep, so the only thing left is the wr screens, quick outs, etc. They are trying to get the ball to him, but it seems to be for minimal yards. I think he had 7 catches yesterday. This combined w/ the hot and cold play of the offensive line and Brunell's tendency to fumble, the way the defense plays, the coaches think the conservative approach is the best way for this team to win games. People call Joe Gibbs conservative all the time, but forget that his 91 team set an NFL record for the most points scored in a season all time.

illdefined 12-12-2005 03:44 PM

[QUOTE=saden1]Santana isn't going to be given the deep route plats anymore, but I'm puzzled as why the coaches aren't calling his number for more medium 15-20 yard plays. Perhaps they are protecting him from taking a licking in the middle?[/QUOTE]

pretty much. that's the one knock on Santana that he's small. and imagine where we would be right now if Santana got hurt? shudder to think. right now Moss is best served doing what he's doing, taking safeties away from the line of schrimmage and softening up the middle for Portis and Cooley.

EXoffender 12-12-2005 05:00 PM

Moss sees a lot of double teams because of the formations we use too. If Brunell would throw the ball to Farris or if Jacobs would get open and make a play, teams would have to respect them. Lining up with Sellars, Royal, Portis, and Cooley too often doesn't exactly open up the passing game.

#56fanatic 12-12-2005 05:24 PM

You cant compare the way Steve Smith is used to the way Moss is used. The routes may be totally different used in Carolina to what we run. Brunell is not going to risk throwing the ball up for grabs like Delhome does quite often. Also look at the number of INTs for Delhome compared to Brunell. There is a risk factor also in the way Delhome slings the ball around to Smith. Brunell is not going to do that. It could turn out that Moss would have bigger games if we took the risk of throwing up for grabs, but gibbs is not one to allow that type of play.

Texanskin 12-12-2005 05:56 PM

Moss just needs a compliment receiver. David Patten(hopfully) can be a solid #3 next year. But what about these two along with a #2 like...Charles Rodgers or Eric Moulds?

VishsSkins 12-13-2005 12:01 AM

Re: Where is Santana Moss?

I think it does have a lot to do with Brunell's decisions to dump the ball off or throw it away. He does not like to make the long throws unless he is absolutely sure he can get it in.

We dont need to sling the ball all over the place like they do in Carolina. The way we will win ball games is by pounding the ball and running to set up the play actions, bootlegs, and occassional deep balls. Thats all we need to do to win and thats what we have been doing lately.

redrock-skins 12-13-2005 12:38 AM

He was at T.O.'s B-Day party:

[url]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051213/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_owens_party[/url]

"Exiled from the Philadelphia Eagles last month, the All-Pro wide receiver known for his flamboyant end zone theatrics hosted a birthday party Monday night at rapper Jay-Z's 40-40 club. T.O. turned 32 on Dec. 7.

Former Cowboys wide receiver Michael Irvin, former Bears coach Mike Ditka, [B]Redskins running back Clinton Portis and Redskins wide receiver Santana Moss also were invited.[/B] Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis was a surprise name on the list — he and Owens feuded last year when Owens spurned a trade from San Francisco to Baltimore."

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 12-13-2005 12:48 AM

[QUOTE=Texanskin]Moss just needs a compliment receiver. David Patten(hopfully) can be a solid #3 next year. But what about these two along with a #2 like...Charles Rodgers or Eric Moulds?[/QUOTE]

Both Moulds and Rogers fails the Gibbs' character test, both will be expensive and Moulds is 33.

Luxorreb 12-13-2005 07:23 AM

Just because Moss was invited, doesn't mean attended... We got proof?
Moss continues to help our team whether he's drawing triple coverage or catching the ball. Brunell and Gibbs play to win, not to pad stats or throw the game into question by an 'up for grabs' ball.

As for Owens...

"Owens was kicked out of training camp for one week after a heated dispute with coach Andy Reid that followed a shouting match with offensive coordinator Brad Childress.

Owens also annoyed the Eagles by violating the dress code on road trips, parking in coaches' spots at the team's practice facility and sleeping through one team meeting, not bringing his playbook to another and refusing to open the playbook at another meeting. "

TO will never be a Redskin as long as Gibbs is here!
-(same article [url]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051213/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_owens_party[/url])