Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rome on the Portis/Bailey Deal (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=98)

redwagonskins 02-27-2004 12:11 AM

Rome on the Portis/Bailey Deal

On Rome is Burning tonight, Rome was all over the Broncos for trading Portis away. Two 1500 yard seasons and a potential 2000 yard season in the future and you can't pay him? On NFL total access they said about the same: shut down corner is nice but a guy touching the ball 20-30 times a game at 5.5 yards a carry is nicer!

offiss 02-27-2004 02:15 AM

Well how bout champ for mike anderson he's rushed for 1500, is he an elite back? I don't believe you can judge a back in a conventional sense running in the bronco system, it's like trying to judge a hitter playing for the rockies they are star's in colorado but also-ran's everywhere else.

Shane 02-27-2004 02:37 AM

Do people think about the possibility that the Broncos are good at evaluating running back talent?

But if you want more evidence of the extraordinary rare talent of Clinton Portis:

From Dave Krieger in Rocky Mountain News:

"But back to Shanahan's argument that he can get 1,500 yards out of anyone he sticks back there. The year Anderson ran for 1,487 yards, the Broncos had a scary passing game, ranked third in the league. Last year, the Broncos' passing game scared only their own fans. Sharpe and Ed McCaffrey are at or very near the end of the line. Rod Smith remains an excellent player, but he, too, is getting on.

The passing game was ranked 22nd in the league last season. The running game, with Portis, was second. Portis was the offense.

It's not his total yards so much as the average - 5.5 yards per carry - that tells you Portis is one of a kind. Of the top 20 rushers in NFL history, only two averaged 5 yards a carry - Brown (5.2) and Sanders (5.0)."

Gmanc711 02-27-2004 06:45 AM

Mortenson said on ESPN, that everything should be offical by the end of the working day Friday, hey thats today.

Daseal 02-27-2004 06:53 AM

I'm curious to see if a #2 is in the works. Shanihan seems upset with Porits, maybe Cerrato will smell that and withdraw the 2nd. I'd be ok with a 3rd next year, I just think we need to fill a hole this year!

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 02-27-2004 07:59 AM

As much as I hate to throw away next year's picks, I'd much rather give them a #2 or #3 next year than a pick this year.

MTK 02-27-2004 08:08 AM

Also keep in mind Portis ran for over 1500 yards last year despite missing 3 games. He definitely has 2000 yard potential.

Portis is clearly not a "system" back. Everyone knew coming out of college he had this sort of potential, but since he doesn't have that prototypical size of 6-0, 220 that every team wants he slipped down. The Broncos loss will be our gain.

CrazyLikeAFox87 02-27-2004 08:29 AM

Portis/Bailey

I agree that if we are going to trade away a pick, it should be next year's. There's a lot of talent still going to be available high in the 2nd.

I'm looking forward to seeing Portis as a Redskin though.

redwagonskins 02-27-2004 10:33 AM

Some seem to think that The Denver Post first reported the #2and it may not necessarily be true. We'll see.

BrudLee 02-27-2004 01:06 PM

[QUOTE=Ramseyfan]As much as I hate to throw away next year's picks, I'd much rather give them a #2 or #3 next year than a pick this year.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, the rule of thumb for GM's in trades is a second round this year is a first round next year. If a team wants a player in a specific round enough, they'll mortgage the future to get him.

azskinsfan2 02-27-2004 03:58 PM

They may make the deal today but I thought they couldn't officially announce it until March 3rd. Of course I'm sure some annonymous source will set the record straight. I just want to know something for sure. The suspence is killing me!!!!!!!!

johnnyredskin63 02-27-2004 07:49 PM

i really do'nt care what jim rome thinks because he is a big horse's ass in my view.i put him right down there with the original fatboys peter king and lenny p,which is one step lower than crocodile piss. :D i do'nt understand how the broncos can trade away a potential 2000 yard rusher like portis away,no matter who they are getting.

Gmanc711 02-27-2004 08:15 PM

OOOHHH common johnnyredskins, how can you not like rome?? The guy is freaking halarious. Oh well, since it comes from you, I wont take it perosonally, lol.

johnnyredskin63 02-27-2004 08:25 PM

i think he just rubbed me wrong way when i saw jim everett go after his ass a few years back.if it makes you feel better my friend,i'll give him a second look because you like him. ;) hey,coming from a skinfan in a new york state of mind,how can i refuse?(lol)

Daseal 02-27-2004 10:42 PM

I must say I really don't like Jim Rome. I very rarely agree with him on issues, I've noticed I'm not the conventional sports fan either. I'm a bit crazy, that's why most of you want me to go away 8)

johnnyredskin63 02-28-2004 12:54 AM

[QUOTE=Daseal]I must say I really don't like Jim Rome. I very rarely agree with him on issues, I've noticed I'm not the conventional sports fan either. I'm a bit crazy, that's why most of you want me to go away 8)[/QUOTE]

he's just irratting to me,much like rush linbaugh,james carville,ted kennedy
and former president non-gratia hitlery clinton do.

saden1 02-28-2004 01:18 AM

[QUOTE=johnnyredskin63]he's just irratting to me,much like rush linbaugh,james carville,ted kennedy
and former president non-gratia hitlery clinton do.[/QUOTE]

out of the four people you can't stand rush linbaugh seems to stand out...i mean at least the rest of them have something in common. I'm I missing something?

Sniper 1 02-28-2004 06:21 AM

Jim Rome is a complete ass. I'm thrilled that he was replaced with Dan Patrick on 980AM, and kicked down to the couldn't-hear-it-across-the-street 1260AM. Good riddance.

johnnyredskin63 02-28-2004 09:53 AM

[QUOTE=saden1] rush linbaugh seems to stand out.[/QUOTE]
he has the most annoying rhetoric in the world.he just babbles and babbles on and on like a windup idiot doll or something.i understand most of the other talk show guys,but he seems like he is very angry about something 24/7-365.

Gmanc711 02-28-2004 10:09 AM

Man, how can you not like JR? Have you ever heard the Howard Dean rant?!? It will change your mind, haha. Does anyone listen to Mike and Mike int he morning, I like that show alot

Daseal 02-28-2004 10:20 AM

What station GMAC? If you're from the DC area.

I hate Bill O'Reilly. He has to lie about book sales to make himself feel better.

Gmanc711 02-28-2004 10:24 AM

Naw I'm from Rochester NY. It is , however on ESPN Radio, so whatever your local ESPN Radio station is, it would be on there I would presume. I know your around the twenty age like me, so I dont know when you get up, haha. But Its on from 6-9am(est), I just listen to it on the way to/from school. Its a good show however, I suggest checking it out. One of the hosts, Mike Greenberg, is exactly like all of us, a crazy sports fan. Somtimes he goes off on these rants about how personal people take sports and how its good for the game, and they are really awsome speeches. Oh well, just passing it along, ESPN Radio 6-9.

cpayne5 02-28-2004 10:30 AM

Every now and then, I can pull in ESPN1000 AM (out of Chicago). It's hilarious to listen to those guys say how good the Bears are gonna/should be.

Daseal 02-28-2004 12:21 PM

Almost as funny as how good the 'skins are on paper every year =p

I really feel bad for Dick Jeraun (sp?) the ex-bears headcoach. I really thought he was starting to pull that team around at the end of the year. Did he ever get a job?

MTK 02-28-2004 12:42 PM

I love Rome, I don't get to listen to him as much as I used to but I'm still a big fan. Yes he can be irritating especially when he goes on and on about something, but I can usually respect his opinions.

Dan Patrick is really boring to me, just too vanilla.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 02-28-2004 01:05 PM

Sorry Matty, I've gotta disagree with you on this one. I wish Rome WOULD Burn, he is about the most obnoxious announcer/anchor in my mind. I'd prefer to watch Al Gore's knitting channel.

SmootSmack 02-28-2004 01:16 PM

When Jim Rome acts serious and conducts interviews he's really good. When he tries to appeal to his "clones" and acts like a jackass then he sucks.

I really like listening to Dan LeBatard. I think he's on Sunday mornings on ESPN radio. And I'm starting to listen a lot to Kevin Wheeler on Sporting News Radio, weekdays from 2-6 am. He's really low key but he knows sports and knows the show isnt' about him it's about sports. Every now and then it's refreshing just to hear some plain and simple sports talke

Paintrain 02-28-2004 01:45 PM

I can't stand Rome and his clones.. He's annoying and the people that call in and try to sound like him are more annoying.. I think the most I''ve ever been able to stomach of his show is about 15 minutes at a time.. I've given him many chances, but I don't like the guy.. He comes across as an arrogant twerp.

Gmanc711 02-28-2004 05:57 PM

Its me and matty vs the world here it looks like haha. He cant appeal to everyone I guess, but I think his radio show is halaroius. When he does his takes on serious issues, (ex. Jamal Lewis drug stuff ) I can see where someone dosent like it. The show really perfers to me with subjects such as the " Rock/Scissors/Paper Championship " I just think they are halarious. Oh well, its not for everyone

Daseal 02-28-2004 06:32 PM

Gmac, he's not joking: [URL=http://www.worldrps.com/]Rock Paper Scissors!![/URL]

I just don't like him being obnoxious.

backrow 02-29-2004 06:42 AM

I'll take vanilla!

I'll take vanilla! Much preferred over Rome any day! Just glad I get M/M in the a.m., Tony K, from 10-1 (and whoever will replace him!) and Dan Patrick & Rob Dibble from 1-3 in the afternoon. When on business and I have to listen to Rome, I am even more thankful that I live in an area that doesn't carry him! His "takes" can last the whole show! His "clones" try to sound like him, but end up reading excessively long takes. I can only handle Rome for short periods. The most enjoyable show is Mel Kiper & Andy Pollen on Saturdays! When Mel kicks in his "Draft" info!