Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


The Spitting Ejection

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2006, 01:27 PM   #181
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,292
Re: The Spitting Ejection

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RINGS
IF he actually spit on Pittman, - I have watched the replay four times and i can't see anything - then 17k and no suspension is a small fine.

IF he actually spit on Pittman, I really don't see how anyone can defend that action.
I don't think anyone in this entire thread has defended the action of spitting. Most people here are wondering whether he actually spat, others (like me) are focusing on the inconsistency in the punishments levied by the refs. Just makes no sense to me how a guy who spits in someone's face receives a harsher punishment than someone who takes a swing at someone's face. There's disrespect and then there's intent to cause bodily harm.

Nobody's defending the act of spitting though.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-10-2006, 03:17 PM   #182
The Starter
 
dgack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The ATX (formerly Balmer)
Posts: 1,125
Re: The Spitting Ejection

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic
You guys are killing me. So if Roy Williams came over and spat on Santana Moss, you would look the other way and say well, he is a safety that is ok.
Unfortunately, Roy Williams does not play for the Redskins.

Any Redskins player that helps us win, I am a fan of.

Any Redskins player that hurts us more than he helps, is on my $%^! list.


Some of you guys are so used to losing and taking it sitting down it's not even funny. Do you even remember what it was like to cheer for a winning team? Has it really come to this, hating your own team so much that other team's fans make fun of us for not holding the faith for our own guys?
dgack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:19 PM   #183
The Starter
 
dgack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The ATX (formerly Balmer)
Posts: 1,125
Re: The Spitting Ejection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10
I don't think anyone in this entire thread has defended the action of spitting. Most people here are wondering whether he actually spat, others (like me) are focusing on the inconsistency in the punishments levied by the refs. Just makes no sense to me how a guy who spits in someone's face receives a harsher punishment than someone who takes a swing at someone's face. There's disrespect and then there's intent to cause bodily harm.

Nobody's defending the act of spitting though.
Well, to be fair, I'm saying I don't care whether he spat or not because he helped us win the game.

I'm tired of all the high and mighty, "football is a gentleman's game", "that's disrespectful" hogwash.

Taylor is a maniac on the field, and that's why we love him. It turns out he may have problems turning that part of his brain off between downs and/or games, and now everybody wants to disown him.

I think that's far lamer than the issue of whether he spit on a wifebeater.
dgack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:33 PM   #184
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,292
Re: The Spitting Ejection

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgack
Well, to be fair, I'm saying I don't care whether he spat or not because he helped us win the game.

I'm tired of all the high and mighty, "football is a gentleman's game", "that's disrespectful" hogwash.

Taylor is a maniac on the field, and that's why we love him. It turns out he may have problems turning that part of his brain off between downs and/or games, and now everybody wants to disown him.

I think that's far lamer than the issue of whether he spit on a wifebeater.
Actually I'm pretty much in your corner. I don't think players should be allowed to spit on each other, and they should get flagged for a 15 yard penalty for it. But not ejected, not so long as players are allowed to physically fight on the field.

As far as Taylor goes, I lose no respect for the guy just because he spit on somebody. I'm just glad to see the Redskins starting to exude a little toughness for once, after being a bunch of pansies under Spurrier. I'd prefer Taylor not spit, but only because spitting means he'll be ejected, not because he flies in the face of some moral standard I set. In fact, I'll go so far as to say I'll gain respect for him if he spat in T.O.'s face on the field, because I friggin hate T.O.

It's kind of odd for us to root for Sean Taylor to knock the socks off of guys when they're coming over the middle, and then chastize him for something like this. You don't have to like that he spat, you don't have to defend him, you can be grossed out, you can view him as a punk, but as long as you still want the guy on your defense, you can't act all high and mighty and self-righteous.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:34 PM   #185
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,597
Re: The Spitting Ejection

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgack
Well, to be fair, I'm saying I don't care whether he spat or not because he helped us win the game.

I'm tired of all the high and mighty, "football is a gentleman's game", "that's disrespectful" hogwash.

Taylor is a maniac on the field, and that's why we love him. It turns out he may have problems turning that part of his brain off between downs and/or games, and now everybody wants to disown him.

I think that's far lamer than the issue of whether he spit on a wifebeater.
If you dont think spitting on someone is disrespectful, I cant imagine what you think is.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:39 PM   #186
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,292
Re: The Spitting Ejection

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish
If you dont think spitting on someone is disrespectful, I cant imagine what you think is.
His main point was that you're kidding yourself if you would truly place your moral values regarding spitting above your desire to have Sean Taylor play this weekend.

Raise your hand if you want Sean Taylor off the team.

Is your hand up? No? Then get off his back.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:50 PM   #187
The Starter
 
dgack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The ATX (formerly Balmer)
Posts: 1,125
Re: The Spitting Ejection

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish
If you dont think spitting on someone is disrespectful, I cant imagine what you think is.
Why do people insist on confusing the real world with the football field? NFL players are not held responsible for playing by the rules the rest of us are. Deal with it.

I think it's disrespectful to call someone else's wife a whore, but I have no doubt that kind of stuff gets said across the line of scrimmage all day long.

Spitting is no different than any other insult, and I dont think it means anything in the game of football.

On the street is a totally different thing and what doesn't fly for you and me is completely irrelevant to the NFL.
dgack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:51 PM   #188
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: The Spitting Ejection

I think all of us would agree that spitting is disrespectful, and to a person we all would pretty much agree that this has gone on for God knows how long in the NFL.

No, this doesn't obsolve Sean Taylor in any way. It was a shameful act.

But I think, perhaps I'm being presumptuous, some of us are a little embarrassed and disappointed about the fact that the sport which we hold so high and esteem and such a despicable and shameful act could co-exist at the same time.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:03 PM   #189
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Angry Re: The Spitting Ejection

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish
Could you explain to me how anything that goes on on this site helps the team? I know some people actually believe they are part of the team because they wear gear and yell loudly at games but to think or suggest that anything discussed on this site helps the team is absurd.
You mean what is discussed on this site does not help the team? I demand my donation back!! and all this time I thought Gibbs was reading my post and thats why Brunell was playing instead of Ramsey
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:06 PM   #190
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,292
Re: The Spitting Ejection

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan
But I think, perhaps I'm being presumptuous, some of us are a little embarrassed and disappointed about the fact that the sport which we hold so high and esteem and such a despicable and shameful act could co-exist at the same time.
If you are right about this, 12thMan, then those people are extremely naive. Anyone who thinks dirty and nasty things aren't said and done every game, they've got their head in the clouds. Awful stuff happens at the bottom of the pile. At the bottom of piles, guys shove fingers in eyes, ears, noses, buttholes (no joke), they scratch, they pinch, they hit in the privates, and when they can they hit in the face. They call names and insult family members to provoke other players. All of this goes on in the game we all love. I hope all of us realize this, and I think we all do realize it.

And as long as you're still a fan of a game where this kind of thing knowingly goes on, you have no business getting bent out of shape about a loogie in someone's grill.

IMO, spitting is mild compared to a thumb up my ass under a pile.

Should all of the above be punished with a 15-yard penalty if caught by the ref? Yes. But nobody has any business being morally outraged by a loogie. I find that ridiculous.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:06 PM   #191
The Starter
 
#56fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Age: 40
Posts: 1,788
Re: The Spitting Ejection

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgack
Unfortunately, Roy Williams does not play for the Redskins.

Any Redskins player that helps us win, I am a fan of.

Any Redskins player that hurts us more than he helps, is on my $%^! list.


Some of you guys are so used to losing and taking it sitting down it's not even funny. Do you even remember what it was like to cheer for a winning team? Has it really come to this, hating your own team so much that other team's fans make fun of us for not holding the faith for our own guys?
Like I said previously it isn't even about football. Its about a classless act from a Redskin. Do you think Joe was happy about it. NO. I guess if Joe came out and went off about it and said how wrong and ignorant it was, then you all would fall in line.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:09 PM   #192
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,635
Re: The Spitting Ejection

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown
You mean what is discussed on this site does not help the team? I demand my donation back!! and all this time I thought Gibbs was reading my post and thats why Brunell was playing instead of Ramsey
He was, don't let anyone tell you otherwise! The Redskins do have a General Manager, his name is TheWarpath.net!!
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:10 PM   #193
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,292
Re: The Spitting Ejection

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic
Like I said previously it isn't even about football. Its about a classless act from a Redskin. Do you think Joe was happy about it. NO. I guess if Joe came out and went off about it and said how wrong and ignorant it was, then you all would fall in line.
If Sean Taylor continues to spit on people and he is not caught by refs (and therefore does not hurt the team), do you want him to stay on the team? Or do you want to boot him?
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:12 PM   #194
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,938
Re: The Spitting Ejection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10
Actually I'm pretty much in your corner. I don't think players should be allowed to spit on each other, and they should get flagged for a 15 yard penalty for it. But not ejected, not so long as players are allowed to physically fight on the field.

As far as Taylor goes, I lose no respect for the guy just because he spit on somebody. I'm just glad to see the Redskins starting to exude a little toughness for once, after being a bunch of pansies under Spurrier. I'd prefer Taylor not spit, but only because spitting means he'll be ejected, not because he flies in the face of some moral standard I set. In fact, I'll go so far as to say I'll gain respect for him if he spat in T.O.'s face on the field, because I friggin hate T.O.

It's kind of odd for us to root for Sean Taylor to knock the socks off of guys when they're coming over the middle, and then chastize him for something like this. You don't have to like that he spat, you don't have to defend him, you can be grossed out, you can view him as a punk, but as long as you still want the guy on your defense, you can't act all high and mighty and self-righteous.
Amen Amen Amen!


For anyone who thought I was defending the act of spitting on someone let me clear up my thoughts. I wouldn't spit on someone for any reason (well i can think of a few situations that involve my family and such but in those cases if all I did was spit then the other guy ought to feel lucky). But in my opinion it is not nearly as bad as some of you think. It has been suggested that it is the most disrespectful thing that a football player could do. That is simply ridiculous when you consider that players can end other players careers whenever they want basically. Don't tell me that spitting in someone's face, while gross and disrepspectful, is MORE disrespectful than what Romo did to that guy when he ended his career(in practice no less).

Is spitting in someone's face classless? Maybe. Can somone have a moment of classlessness and still be an ok guy? Even a classy guy? Yeah I think so. I would imagine just about everyone here has done something that is classless at one time or another. Maybe not as bad as spitting in someone's face or maybe worse but something nonetheless. So let's not act like we can universally castigate Taylor for spitting in someone's face like some holier-than-thou group or morally unchalleneged fans.

Some of you have expressed displeasure that his actions were detrimental to the team because he got ejected and I think as fans of the Skins this is where our concerns shoud lay. Not with whether he marginally(my word) disrespected a guy by spitting on him. I don't think what he did merited ejection. Just my opionion but I think enagaging in fights is worse.

Does everyone think he ought to be ejected for spitting if he did it? If so then be mad that he alledgedly did something so stupid as to get caught. It wasn't stupid because he spit it was stupid because he got caught.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:13 PM   #195
Special Teams
 
FirstandTen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bristow VA
Age: 37
Posts: 254
Re: The Spitting Ejection

This thread is rediclous
FirstandTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33083 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25