Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Gibbs needs help

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2006, 10:47 PM   #46
The Starter
 
wolfeskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: chesapeake,va.
Posts: 2,160
Re: Gibbs needs help

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooleyFan
We did open it up more, but you do gotta understand halfway through the season, teams were studying Santana Moss in the videorooms, and had all the plays and everything called. It was very hard to get single man-man defense on Santana, so it was hard for him to get open. They all shut him down pretty good after that Dallas game. Hard to open it up when you have two safeties and a CB on Santana Moss, suffocating him. Cooley isn't that fast, but he has JUST enough to get into the secondary, past the linebackers. Weapons are precious. Once a team nabs your style, you gotta do other things just to get it done.


yea, i agree with you. read what i said in post #24, it sums up my feelings better than my other quote that you used.
__________________
Hail to Allen/Shanahan .... bring in some baby hogs and load up on diesel fuel !!! (budw38)
wolfeskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-23-2006, 01:02 AM   #47
Camp Scrub
 
CooleyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Springfield, Va
Posts: 28
Re: Gibbs needs help

Let's just not forget what I said... 2 weeks before it happened. GIBBS NEEDS AN OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR, RIGHT? WHAT HAPPENED? Who started this thread? Whats the title of this thread? When's the date of the first post? I'm the foolish fairweather fan, right? Gibbs de-throned himself, and gave up the offense just to bring this franchise back to glory. If I'm fairweather, so is Gibbs. Thanks. I'll be here all week.
__________________
"I want to give George Steinbrenner fellatio!" - D. Snyder
CooleyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:34 AM   #48
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,456
Re: Gibbs needs help

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooleyFan
Let's just not forget what I said... 2 weeks before it happened. GIBBS NEEDS AN OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR, RIGHT? WHAT HAPPENED? Who started this thread? Whats the title of this thread? When's the date of the first post? I'm the foolish fairweather fan, right? Gibbs de-throned himself, and gave up the offense just to bring this franchise back to glory. If I'm fairweather, so is Gibbs. Thanks. I'll be here all week.
Thing is your original post was a little off base.

We weren't running a west coast offense this year, Norv Turner isn't a west coast guy, and neither is Saunders. Other than that you're right on.

And I don't think Gibbs' age has anything to do with it, Saunders basically comes from the same school of thought that Gibbs does. Gibbs' offensive philosophies and schemes are alive and well across the league with several different teams. His brand of football works. By bringing in Saunders I think Gibbs is just looking for that extra edge to get this team over the hump, when you have the opportunity to go out and get one of the best offensive minds in football you'd have to be crazy or an egomaniac not to.
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:55 PM   #49
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Gibbs needs help

Looks like Joe Gibbs agreed with CooleyFan.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:05 PM   #50
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,364
Re: Gibbs needs help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven
Looks like Joe Gibbs agreed with CooleyFan.
Luckily Joe Gibbs is a lot more likeable than CooleyFan.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:12 PM   #51
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,666
Re: Gibbs needs help

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooleyFan
Let's just not forget what I said... 2 weeks before it happened. GIBBS NEEDS AN OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR, RIGHT? WHAT HAPPENED? Who started this thread? Whats the title of this thread? When's the date of the first post? I'm the foolish fairweather fan, right? Gibbs de-throned himself, and gave up the offense just to bring this franchise back to glory. If I'm fairweather, so is Gibbs. Thanks. I'll be here all week.
Nice guess! However, what is up with this West Cost offense thing?
__________________
"Fire Up That Diesel!"
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 04:06 PM   #52
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Gibbs needs help

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy
Nice guess! However, what is up with this West Cost offense thing?

The whole "West Coast" offense thing is thoroughly confusing, even for football fans who pay attention. I, myself didn't fully understand exactly which offense it was -- Bill Walsh's in San Fransisco? Or Don Coryell's in San Diego? Anyway, it was an old article by Dr. Z in SI that TAFKAS linked to that finally explained it.

Everyone thinks of it today as short passing, slants, halfback and fullback lined up close together in the backfield, blah, blah, blah ... we all associate it with what Joe Montana and Steve Young ran with the 49ers, and the long line of coaches who studied under Walsh that followed it -- Mike Holmgren, Mike Shanahan, Jon Gruden, and Andy Reid.

In fact, the real "West Coast" offense was originally the very same offensive scheme that Joe Gibbs, Norv Turner, Ernie Zampese, Mike Martz all run today who followed Don Coryell while he coached the Chargers before Bill Walsh ever coached at San Fran. According to the article, when Bill Walsh first heard the term, "West Coast", he didn't care for it, because he picked it up under Paul Brown in Cincinnati.

So CooleyFan, yet again, is actually correct in referring Norv Turner's attack as "West Coast" offense, at least in its original and literal sense.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 04:39 PM   #53
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,364
Re: Gibbs needs help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven
So CooleyFan, yet again, is actually correct in referring Norv Turner's attack as "West Coast" offense, at least in its original and literal sense.
Yes but he's being a total douche.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:22 PM   #54
Camp Scrub
 
Gibbs is God's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Richmond,VA
Age: 22
Posts: 20
Re: Gibbs needs help

yeah, david patten isnt cuttin it, we need someone to free up santana moss a little more. cooley has showed great hands but that is sad when your tight end is 2nd on your team with recieving yards, and your running back is 3rd.
Gibbs is God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:24 PM   #55
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 33
Posts: 17,643
Re: Gibbs needs help

Seems like Patten freed up Moss just fine when Moss was on pace to break the single-season receiving record.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:26 PM   #56
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,456
Re: Gibbs needs help

When someone says 'West Coast', sorry but Norv Turner doesn't come to mind, neither does Gibbs. I think Walsh, Holmgren, Reid, Mariucci, etc.

If we want to be technical about it and trace the roots and all that crap fine, but I doubt that's what the original post was referring to.
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:33 PM   #57
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,456
Re: Gibbs needs help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs is God
yeah, david patten isnt cuttin it, we need someone to free up santana moss a little more. cooley has showed great hands but that is sad when your tight end is 2nd on your team with recieving yards, and your running back is 3rd.
Sad when your TE is 2nd in yards?

How about guys like Gates, Gonzalez, Witten, etc.?

If you have a talented TE there's nothing wrong with feeding him the ball, but we do need more of a threat from the #2 WR so defenses can't focus on Moss and Cooley as much.
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:39 PM   #58
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,666
Re: Gibbs needs help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven
The whole "West Coast" offense thing is thoroughly confusing, even for football fans who pay attention. I, myself didn't fully understand exactly which offense it was -- Bill Walsh's in San Fransisco? Or Don Coryell's in San Diego? Anyway, it was an old article by Dr. Z in SI that TAFKAS linked to that finally explained it.

Everyone thinks of it today as short passing, slants, halfback and fullback lined up close together in the backfield, blah, blah, blah ... we all associate it with what Joe Montana and Steve Young ran with the 49ers, and the long line of coaches who studied under Walsh that followed it -- Mike Holmgren, Mike Shanahan, Jon Gruden, and Andy Reid.

In fact, the real "West Coast" offense was originally the very same offensive scheme that Joe Gibbs, Norv Turner, Ernie Zampese, Mike Martz all run today who followed Don Coryell while he coached the Chargers before Bill Walsh ever coached at San Fran. According to the article, when Bill Walsh first heard the term, "West Coast", he didn't care for it, because he picked it up under Paul Brown in Cincinnati.

So CooleyFan, yet again, is actually correct in referring Norv Turner's attack as "West Coast" offense, at least in its original and literal sense.
Semantics.
__________________
"Fire Up That Diesel!"
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:42 PM   #59
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Gibbs needs help

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy
Semantics.
Right. So why all the fuss over CooleyFan calling Norval's scheme West Coast?
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:48 PM   #60
Camp Scrub
 
Gibbs is God's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Richmond,VA
Age: 22
Posts: 20
Re: Gibbs needs help

I dont know what the hell u r smokin CooleyFan but Gibbs scheme is working, we DONT need Norv back!!!
how can u doubt the staff (Joe Gibbs, Gregg Williams, Joe Bugel, Don Breaux, and Earnest Byner maybe the best running back's coach in the league) ???
Joe is stubborn with his QB's but im sure Jason Campbell will impress him this offseason. Brunell is old (sorry but someone had to say it) i love the guy but its jason's turn to run this team.

By the Way...doesnt jason Campbell remind you guys of another redskins QB???

Doug Williams!!!
Gibbs is God is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28526 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25