Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


CBA -- What exactly happens.

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2006, 12:32 AM   #1
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,218
CBA -- What exactly happens.

I'll be the first to admit I'm completely ignorant as to what happens if the CBA is(nt) signed. I'd like some explanation to what exactly happens if it is signed and if it isn't. Thanks!
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-04-2006, 08:55 AM   #2
Special Teams
 
shallyshal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 336
Re: CBA -- What exactly happens.

i do not think anyone knows for certain right now. it is all speculation. inthe end, the nfl has too much to lose by not coming to an agreement, but the biggest schism is internal with the richer teams (houston, dallas, wash, new england, philly) not wanting to share the excess profits with teams not having those extra revenue streams
shallyshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:00 AM   #3
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,515
Re: CBA -- What exactly happens.

2006 becomes really tight with a modest cap increase,then 2007,the uncapped era begins.gene upshaw has made it clear that if the players reach 2007 uncapped,the salary cap as we know it is over.there are 7 teams holding up the c.b.a.with dallas,washington and philly being 3 of them.these 7 teams are grossing the most money among all n.f.l. teams and dont think its fair to have to share all revenues evenly amongst their peers
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:23 AM   #4
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: CBA -- What exactly happens.

I don't have a clue what it all means, either. One thing I don't want to see though, is another strike.

That's what killed the NHL, and it took Major League Baseball quite awhile to recover from their strike as well. Some say that Mark MacGuire and Sammy Sosa's single season home-run record breaking race is what saved baseball.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:29 AM   #5
Thank You, Sean.
 
Gmanc711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Age: 28
Posts: 7,499
Re: CBA -- What exactly happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven
I don't have a clue what it all means, either. One thing I don't want to see though, is another strike.

That's what killed the NHL, and it took Major League Baseball quite awhile to recover from their strike as well. Some say that Mark MacGuire and Sammy Sosa's single season home-run record breaking race is what saved baseball.

Actually, the NHL is doing QUITE nicley compared to the seasons before the strike. Attendance is up, the TV deal is dead which is a killer. Dont know if you're a hockey fan or not, but the way the game is played under the "new rules", I think its actually quite good and I was a really "Fringe" fan before the strike, and I've probably sat down and actually watched more hockey games this year than I have in my life combined.. Just my opinion though.
__________________
#21
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 11:00 AM   #6
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: CBA -- What exactly happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711
Actually, the NHL is doing QUITE nicley compared to the seasons before the strike. Attendance is up, the TV deal is dead which is a killer. Dont know if you're a hockey fan or not, but the way the game is played under the "new rules", I think its actually quite good and I was a really "Fringe" fan before the strike, and I've probably sat down and actually watched more hockey games this year than I have in my life combined.. Just my opinion though.
For the record, no, I'm not a hockey fan. Football is the ONLY sport I watch on television. And I don't go to sporting events, either.

I've heard from 'sports fans' in general who have said that hockey over the past several years is losing ground as America's 4th major sport. While apparently the rule changes have helped hockey regain some momentum, I'd say it's still well behind the NFL, college football, college basketball, the NBA, Major League Baseball, and NASCAR.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 11:37 AM   #7
Playmaker
 
BrudLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rehoboth Beach, DE
Posts: 3,494
Re: CBA -- What exactly happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shallyshal
i do not think anyone knows for certain right now. it is all speculation. inthe end, the nfl has too much to lose by not coming to an agreement, but the biggest schism is internal with the richer teams (houston, dallas, wash, new england, philly) not wanting to share the excess profits with teams not having those extra revenue streams
Interesting. According to Gene Upshaw, the Redskins aren't a big part of the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maske in the WaPo
Upshaw placed blame for the lack of progress in both sets of deliberations on a group of owners of wealthy teams (he mentioned that the Washington Redskins' Daniel Snyder was an exception) who don't want to spend enough of the money they're generating on their players, in the union's view. "When you are trying to change the mindset of owners who don't want to share -- not only with the players, but with each other -- you have a problem," Upshaw said.
__________________
There's nowhere to go but up. Or down. I guess we could stay where we are, too.
BrudLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 11:42 AM   #8
Thank You, Sean.
 
Gmanc711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Age: 28
Posts: 7,499
Re: CBA -- What exactly happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven
For the record, no, I'm not a hockey fan. Football is the ONLY sport I watch on television. And I don't go to sporting events, either.

I've heard from 'sports fans' in general who have said that hockey over the past several years is losing ground as America's 4th major sport. While apparently the rule changes have helped hockey regain some momentum, I'd say it's still well behind the NFL, college football, college basketball, the NBA, Major League Baseball, and NASCAR.
Oh yes, you're right. Its actually already way out of the #4 sport. I'd put Golf, College/Football&Basketball, NBA, and NFL, Nascar in front of it. I was just saying htat its actually doing better.

However, if you can belive it, the NFL is soon going to be taken over as the #1 sport by....NASCAR! IF you can belive that. Nascar is currently the #2 behind the NFL and gaining ground rapidly.
__________________
#21
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:25 PM   #9
Special Teams
 
Sociofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Gainesville, VA
Age: 49
Posts: 380
Re: CBA -- What exactly happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711
Oh yes, you're right. Its actually already way out of the #4 sport. I'd put Golf, College/Football&Basketball, NBA, and NFL, Nascar in front of it. I was just saying htat its actually doing better.

However, if you can belive it, the NFL is soon going to be taken over as the #1 sport by....NASCAR! IF you can belive that. Nascar is currently the #2 behind the NFL and gaining ground rapidly.
NASCAR is NOT a sport...unless you count competitions like chess and bowling as "sports".

The real problem with revenue sharing at this point is what exactly constitutes revenue? Should that include parking fees? Concessions? Local radio revenues? The other teams in the league want a broader interpretation because they argue that "large market" teams have an advantage with their larger fan bases contributing to more "local" revenues. The NFLPA and smaller market owners want those extra dollars counted toward revenues and ultimately, salary caps.

And as for hockey...here is a secret: it's actually more exciting to watch live than football. GO CAPS!
Sociofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 01:01 PM   #10
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,218
Re: CBA -- What exactly happens.

I can't see how anyone can put NASCAR before hockey.

NFL, NBA, Hockey, Soccer (world cup moves right behind NFL), College Sports, Curling, Womens Sports, Womens college sports, Baseball, Nascar.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 01:05 PM   #11
Pro Bowl
 
BigSKINBauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 26
Posts: 5,635
Re: CBA -- What exactly happens.

I watched a whole hockey game yesterday. I plan on watching a whole hockey game today.
__________________
"For there is nothing half so glorious
As to see our team victorious"



BSB
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 01:34 PM   #12
Playmaker
 
gibbsisgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: 129 W 81st street
Age: 35
Posts: 3,503
Re: CBA -- What exactly happens.

Non Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks.
gibbsisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 01:56 PM   #13
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,520
Re: CBA -- What exactly happens.

What I get from all this CBA stuff or whatever the abbreviation is - is that the larger market owners want to basically keep ALL of their revenue for their own teams, instead of having to dispurse a certain precentage out to cover what the smaller market teams cannot make. Add into having a salary cap equal for all teams, you have supposedly an equal playing field. If this contract doesn't go through, then our team, along with other teams, will basically be in danger of being "disbanned" so to speak. However, after a crappy '06 season, we'd be able to spend as much as we want to get the players we want.....and would be able to keep them longer, because we could pay them to stay without having to worry with a salary cap. Basically, for the most part, we'd revert back to how it was in the '80's. I kind of have mixed emotions with it: I wouldn't mind things being like they were in the 80's assuming that we could build a team that could be potiential contenders every year (like we did back then.) We would have more assurance that we could keep the same group of players around for most of their careers. I might be completely wrong, but that is what I get out of this whole deal and the big market owners aren't going to sign any contract extension for a salary cap if they feel that eventually they'll be in the driver's sit to spend whatever they want to get whomever they want.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 06:31 PM   #14
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: CBA -- What exactly happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711
However, if you can belive it, the NFL is soon going to be taken over as the #1 sport by....NASCAR! IF you can belive that. Nascar is currently the #2 behind the NFL and gaining ground rapidly.
I've heard this as well. But #1 in terms of what? Attendance? TV deals and ratings? Nobody's coming close the NFL's $3.7 billion deal, I'm pretty sure of that. While NASCAR has over 100,000 people in the seats in just about every race, there are way more NFL games all together. I'd be interested to see how it breaks down proportionately.

I love what Bill Maher said about NASCAR -- you can't convince me that people don't watch NASCAR in hopes of witnessing a devastating multi-car crash. Otherwise, you're just watching traffic.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:39 PM   #15
Impact Rookie
 
LongTimeSkinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: LaVale MD
Age: 51
Posts: 515
Re: CBA -- What exactly happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociofan
NASCAR is NOT a sport...unless you count competitions like chess and bowling as "sports".

It is a sport once an accident of significant proportions occurs, then all the beer-swilling ball cap donned fans hollar out, "They blowed up reeeeeeaaaaaalllll good". This is a similar to the effect seen in NHL where a certain percentage attend the game in hopes a fight will break out and total chaos erupts. People are paying the ticket price for the potential of bodily injury and destruction of property.
__________________
...skins fan since 72 and still breathin'!
LongTimeSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29254 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25