Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Are the networks just trying to hype up the Super Bowl?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2006, 03:57 PM   #1
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,729
Are the networks just trying to hype up the Super Bowl?

It seemed at the beginning of the week all the experts were saying that it was going to be pretty easy for the Steelers to win the Super Bowl. However now between commercial breaks (Jaws and Hodgie) it seems like the experts are trying to paint a picture of why the Seahawks have a chance.

Personally I don't agree. I think the Steelers are too hot right now and after seeing them dominate quality teams like Indy, Cinci, and Denver I don't see how the Seahawks have much of a prayer. IMO the 3-4 will prevent Shaun from gettting to the outside forcing him to get pounded between the tackles. With Alexander neutralized the Steelers will get pressure on Hassleback and shut down the Hawks passing game. Big Ben will take it from there. Hell there might even be some of those Razzle dazzle plays that the Steelers have recently become known for.

Anyway do the Seahawks really have a chance or are the experts just shying away from predicting a blowout for the sake of the Ratings?
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-04-2006, 04:14 PM   #2
Karma Chameleon
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 3,098
Re: Are the networks just trying to hype up the Super Bowl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359
It seemed at the beginning of the week all the experts were saying that it was going to be pretty easy for the Steelers to win the Super Bowl. However now between commercial breaks (Jaws and Hodgie) it seems like the experts are trying to paint a picture of why the Seahawks have a chance.

Personally I don't agree. I think the Steelers are too hot right now and after seeing them dominate quality teams like Indy, Cinci, and Denver I don't see how the Seahawks have much of a prayer. IMO the 3-4 will prevent Shaun from gettting to the outside forcing him to get pounded between the tackles. With Alexander neutralized the Steelers will get pressure on Hassleback and shut down the Hawks passing game. Big Ben will take it from there. Hell there might even be some of those Razzle dazzle plays that the Steelers have recently become known for.

Anyway do the Seahawks really have a chance or are the experts just shying away from predicting a blowout for the sake of the Ratings?
I see where you're coming from with this thread, however, I don't think that anyone has anything to worry about when it comes to ratings for the Super Bowl. It's going to be watched by a billion people worldwide no matter how good the game is. I don't think that this year is as cut and dry as people would like to think. Hasselbeck has been playing out of his head during the playoffs. With that said, I think the Steelers are gonna blow em out, but I'm the same guy that thought that the Panthers would beat the Pats in that Super Bowl. Although, for the record, I had the Pats over the Rams...lol.

I'm usually pretty close on Super Bowls, I was just pulling for Stephen Davis against the Pats.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:53 PM   #3
Camp Scrub
 
ParkerGibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 61
Re: Are the networks just trying to hype up the Super Bowl?

keep in mind, we are listening to the opinions of guys who said there was "no way" the redskins could make the playoffs this year. i take everything that comes out of their mouth with a grain of salt.
ParkerGibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:01 PM   #4
Special Teams
 
skindogger47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 33
Posts: 262
Re: Are the networks just trying to hype up the Super Bowl?

They are definately overhyping it. Just this morning Berman tried to explain how it was going to be one of the best SBs ever.

The thing that's killing me about the media coverage is that they only mention like 5 players for each team. My friend, who is a Steelers fan, couldn't name the starting defense for the Steelers. All they talk about is Bettis, Polamalu, Roethlisburger, and Cowher. They have barely covered the Steelers and Seahawks ridiculous O and D lines, and I haven't heard a mention of any Seahawk defender outside of Tatupu and Rocky Bernard, and that's only because the name "Rocky" makes for some good underdog headlines. The coverage of this game is thinner than any regular season game I watched this year. Has anyone mentioned Alan Faneca this week, possibly the best offensive lineman in football? Or Jeff Reed, the not-so-clutch Pittsburgh kicker? No. All hype, no substance. That is why people act like this will be a close game. The Steelers are going to CRUSH the puny Seahawks, who put up a lame 13 points the only other time they faced a 3-4 defense, a home game against the Cowgirls.
skindogger47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:37 PM   #5
Special Teams
 
skin4Life28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Age: 28
Posts: 447
Re: Are the networks just trying to hype up the Super Bowl?

I think the people who are giving the Seahawks no chance at winning are going to in for a big surprise. This is a very talented team regaurdless of what you think or who they played. They earned the right to be called NFC Champs in my book. Now I do not think there going to win, but I can't see it being a blowout. I think Seattle's D is able to matchup really well with Pitt. Pitt hasn't gone up against a very solid secondary in the playoffs. Cinci has no one, Indy just has run stoppers plus Harper there best corner was hurt, and Denver other than Champ who do they have and don't say Lynch cause he can't cover anymore like he used too. Seattle has young agile defenders in there secondary. I just think it'll be a better game then what people are expecting.
skin4Life28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:49 PM   #6
Playmaker
 
70Chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manassas
Age: 43
Posts: 3,048
Re: Are the networks just trying to hype up the Super Bowl?

These guys are getting so much air time, they can change sides two or three times without anyone noticing. I'm sticking with my pick of Seahawks over Steelers BIG.
__________________
This Monkey's Gone to Heaven
70Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:53 PM   #7
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 44
Posts: 4,930
Re: Are the networks just trying to hype up the Super Bowl?

Yes.
__________________
Challenge Greatness! Be A Leader! Make A Difference!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 08:34 PM   #8
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,228
Re: Are the networks just trying to hype up the Super Bowl?

While I don't think this will be a best-ever super bowl, I think it could be the best one since the Rams vs Titans. I think we have good matchups on every side of the ball, I simply think that Seattles O line will, for the most part, dominate Pittsburgh, and I still don't feel if Pitt. gets behind Big Ben can lead a comeback. Hasselbeck on the otherhand I think can lead a comeback effort. I say 'hawks win it in a good game. Someone might pull away late, but Im taking hawks.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 08:50 PM   #9
The Starter
 
wolfeskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: chesapeake,va.
Posts: 2,160
Re: Are the networks just trying to hype up the Super Bowl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
While I don't think this will be a best-ever super bowl, I think it could be the best one since the Rams vs Titans. I think we have good matchups on every side of the ball, I simply think that Seattles O line will, for the most part, dominate Pittsburgh, and I still don't feel if Pitt. gets behind Big Ben can lead a comeback. Hasselbeck on the otherhand I think can lead a comeback effort. I say 'hawks win it in a good game. Someone might pull away late, but Im taking hawks.

i tend to agree with you mr.D.
seattle's offense does match up well with pitts defense, remember pitts d was getting beat fairly badly in the early to mid regular season. i also think the extra week off before the super bowl hurts the steelers. pitt was on a hot streak and this "time off" will hurt them, it hurts their momentum.
having said all that, i still think it will be a close game.
__________________
Hail to Allen/Shanahan .... bring in some baby hogs and load up on diesel fuel !!! (budw38)
wolfeskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:52 PM   #10
Impact Rookie
 
ST21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 519
Re: Are the networks just trying to hype up the Super Bowl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea
I see where you're coming from with this thread, however, I don't think that anyone has anything to worry about when it comes to ratings for the Super Bowl. It's going to be watched by a billion people worldwide no matter how good the game is. I don't think that this year is as cut and dry as people would like to think. Hasselbeck has been playing out of his head during the playoffs. With that said, I think the Steelers are gonna blow em out, but I'm the same guy that thought that the Panthers would beat the Pats in that Super Bowl. Although, for the record, I had the Pats over the Rams...lol.

I'm usually pretty close on Super Bowls, I was just pulling for Stephen Davis against the Pats.
Trust me, it will be the lowest rank Superbowl in 15 yrs......this Super is being so over hyped...its better to plug in you PS2 or Xbox and watch the Similation version............people or more interested in the comercials.......
__________________
SAY HELLO TO THE BAD GUY........
ST21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:04 PM   #11
The Starter
 
wolfeskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: chesapeake,va.
Posts: 2,160
Re: Are the networks just trying to hype up the Super Bowl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST21
Trust me, it will be the lowest rank Superbowl in 15 yrs......this Super is being so over hyped...its better to plug in you PS2 or Xbox and watch the Similation version............people or more interested in the comercials.......

there is no way it will be worse than superbowl XXXV, 2001. ravens vs. giants. that game sucked.
__________________
Hail to Allen/Shanahan .... bring in some baby hogs and load up on diesel fuel !!! (budw38)
wolfeskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 11:45 PM   #12
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,023
Re: Are the networks just trying to hype up the Super Bowl?

I think the Steelers are way overhyped and Seattle isn't getting enough credit.

Seattle beat the Skins without Alexander and they absolutely manhandled Carolina who were red hot at the time.

I think it's a battle of two very evenly matched teams but Pittsburgh is the bandwagon favorite.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 05:38 PM   #13
Impact Rookie
 
LongTimeSkinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: LaVale MD
Age: 52
Posts: 515
Re: Are the networks just trying to hype up the Super Bowl?

I'm pulling for the Steelers because if I don't, I'm liable to be mauled by every kid in my house and worse, it might get awful cold in bed for a week. With that said, I'd like to remind everyone on the board that the last team to beat the 'Skins in a playoff game (TB) went on to win the Super Bowl that year (2000, I think).
__________________
...skins fan since 72 and still breathin'!
LongTimeSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 05:39 PM   #14
Impact Rookie
 
LongTimeSkinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: LaVale MD
Age: 52
Posts: 515
Re: Are the networks just trying to hype up the Super Bowl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeskins
there is no way it will be worse than superbowl XXXV, 2001. ravens vs. giants. that game sucked.
The only one in recent memory that sucked more was 49ers vs Chargers. It was like watching the 49ers summer camp.
__________________
...skins fan since 72 and still breathin'!
LongTimeSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:38 AM   #15
Special Teams
 
bigm29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mt. Laurel, NJ
Age: 26
Posts: 353
Re: Are the networks just trying to hype up the Super Bowl?

They over hype it every year and they get an extra week to do it too because of the dumb bye week they get now. This makes it so you can only be disapointed most of the time because it is talked about like it will be the greatest game of all time. I personally think its bad for the sport
bigm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29107 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25