Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Darren Howard

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2006, 03:05 PM   #16
What will Shanny do this offseason?
 
diehardskin2982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,413
Re: Darren Howard

I think we need three thing to be great:

1. A possession reciever.
2. Pass rushing DE
3. Solid Kicker

I 've said this before, but I think we should address the 2nd reciever problem by either taking Koren Robinson, or trading Ramsey for Charles Rogers of the Lions. I'd also add Az Hakim for special teams and a 4th options.

Pass Rushing D-end I think we should draft Daryll Tapp with our first pick. He remind me of Dwight Freeny and would be an execellent component to our D. Howard given his age I wouldn't take him because I think he may be another Bruce Smith.

As for a Kicker I'd take Vanderjek (how ever you spell his name), Or take a fella in the draft with a big leg.
__________________
That got ugly fast
diehardskin2982 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-07-2006, 04:17 AM   #17
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 16,289
Re: Darren Howard

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982
I think we need three thing to be great:

1. A possession reciever.
2. Pass rushing DE
3. Solid Kicker

I 've said this before, but I think we should address the 2nd reciever problem by either taking Koren Robinson, or trading Ramsey for Charles Rogers of the Lions. I'd also add Az Hakim for special teams and a 4th options.

Pass Rushing D-end I think we should draft Daryll Tapp with our first pick. He remind me of Dwight Freeny and would be an execellent component to our D. Howard given his age I wouldn't take him because I think he may be another Bruce Smith.

As for a Kicker I'd take Vanderjek (how ever you spell his name), Or take a fella in the draft with a big leg.
freeney is WAY WAAY faster and slightly stronger than tapp. At the senoir bowl he got pushed around a lot and never got very close to the QB (and he played almost the entire game since MK was out). Vander doesn't kickoff and is definately not a character guy, and for the contract he wants i doubt we'll pursue him. longwell is much younger and he's cheaper without issues. KR i like, rogers already has drug suspensions and has a TERRIBLE contract, so you absolutely would not want to trade for him.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:23 AM   #18
JUST LIVIN
 
htownskinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: houston,tx
Age: 52
Posts: 3,526
Re: Darren Howard

Kyle Vanden Bosch looked great in the probowl,I wonder what his price tags gonna be

Late in the first quarter, Vanden Bosch burst past NFC left offensive tackle Chris Samuels with an up-field move and sacked quarterback Matt Hasselbeck for a 7-yard loss. On the ensuing possession, he disengaged from a block by tight end Alge Crumpler, worked his way inside with a nice counterspin, and then wiggled beyond tackle Orlando Pace to dump Michael Vick for a loss of 5 yards. In the same series, he flushed Vick from the pocket and forced a wayward pass that was nearly intercepted in the end zone, .

He's a deceptive guy," Samuels said. "You don't think he looks that strong or that quick, but he's got plenty of both those [elements] in his game. And he just keeps on coming. I didn't know much about him, but you had to be impressed."
htownskinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:50 AM   #19
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 16,289
Re: Darren Howard

they didn't get a lot of time to scout out bosch's tendencies, but he had double digits sacks, so yeah... bring him in. His price may be too high though.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:34 PM   #20
What will Shanny do this offseason?
 
diehardskin2982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,413
Re: Darren Howard

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
freeney is WAY WAAY faster and slightly stronger than tapp.
Tapp is also a rookie comming out of college who's play you are only talking about in 1 game. He was a dominating force in the college game and usually players like that make it far in the league
__________________
That got ugly fast
diehardskin2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:11 PM   #21
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 16,289
Re: Darren Howard

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982
Tapp is also a rookie comming out of college who's play you are only talking about in 1 game. He was a dominating force in the college game and usually players like that make it far in the league
like desmond howard? like any of the 200 QBs (akili smith, ryan leaf, tim couch, etc)...

when he played better competition he had problems. He was in the right place, but he's short (for deflecting passes) won't win foot races (so no, i don't think he'll ever play OLB) and he got pushed bac a lot (though that's an easy problem to fix). He could be successful, but i highly doubt it'll be this season or even the next. He probably needs to bulk up too.

also in my last post that you quoted i didn't say anything negative about tapp, just the fact that freeney IS much faster and a bit stronger than him so that projecting one's success on the other is a huge mistake.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:07 PM   #22
Special Teams
 
56FAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: MANASSAS VA
Age: 52
Posts: 323
Re: Darren Howard

Shallyshal brings up a good point. but we need to begin to get ready to move springs because he's great but not getting any younger. he did have an injury issue at seattle. and he got injured this year too.something to think about
56FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:18 PM   #23
Special Teams
 
shallyshal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 336
Re: Darren Howard

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
like desmond howard? like any of the 200 QBs (akili smith, ryan leaf, tim couch, etc)...

when he played better competition he had problems. He was in the right place, but he's short (for deflecting passes) won't win foot races (so no, i don't think he'll ever play OLB) and he got pushed bac a lot (though that's an easy problem to fix). He could be successful, but i highly doubt it'll be this season or even the next. He probably needs to bulk up too.

also in my last post that you quoted i didn't say anything negative about tapp, just the fact that freeney IS much faster and a bit stronger than him so that projecting one's success on the other is a huge mistake.

things run in cycles.. like large receivers now.. guys like freeney are rare. just because someone like tapp is similar in size does not mean he will end up the same player
shallyshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:19 PM   #24
Special Teams
 
shallyshal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 336
Re: Darren Howard

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
thanks for the link.. i knew the DEs, but that seems to have a good rundown of every other position too. Too bad it doesn't have stats and such though :/

If we sign howard I think it might end up like hugh douglas, where he'd only work on 3rd downs, he'd be useless on counters and against many running plays and he'd be retired in a year.

fiore, vaghn, barrow, harris, springs, noble... those are the injury history guys we've gotten in the last few years. first 3 never played a down, next three had a great 1st seasons and very spotty 2nd seasons (noble never played, harris was awful, and springs was still good, but missed a good amount of playing time). Also once coles got injured he went from a great #1 to an average #1 (kennison level).

Its just a risk I wouldn't take on an older player. If he were 25 it'd be different. Lavar has missed 2 years due to an injury and just now is starting to look like he can be effective again. Daniels missed a year and came back to play the best ball of his career (while slightly out of shape) though, so there's always a chance he could be good. If he's near vet min its much easier to justify it cause if he sucks it up in camp he can be tossed without much thought. He's had 4.5 good years out of 6 though.

I'd want this guy:
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302065

how many DEs get 80+ tackles in a year?
kampman is a very fine young player.

but howard can be a 3 down player as well.he can play inside and has done it.

the only questions are his health and the size of his contract
shallyshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 05:19 PM   #25
What will Shanny do this offseason?
 
diehardskin2982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,413
Re: Darren Howard

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
like desmond howard? like any of the 200 QBs (akili smith, ryan leaf, tim couch, etc)...
also in my last post that you quoted i didn't say anything negative about tapp, just the fact that freeney IS much faster and a bit stronger than him so that projecting one's success on the other is a huge mistake.
First~ Your comparing offensive failures to a defensive player. If I would compare him to anyone, it could be people like Zach Thomas, David Pollack, Kenechi Udeze,Troy polomalo Dwight Freeny... Players on defense who were undersized at their position and had the reputation similar to Tapp in college. ~Hard workers with high motors that always produced.

Second~ Dwight Freeny is 6-1 268, and has played in the NFL for 4 years ofcourse he is stronger and faster its a step up! At Syracuse Freeny emassed 34 sacks in college career. Tapp has 29.5 only, Freeny only has 4.5 more sacks than Tapp. To think Tapp was in the stronger division ACC and did this is a true accomplishment. These guys are very comparable especially given that Tapp has posted a 4.75 40 time. Is Tapp going to do what Freeny has done? I have no idea, but Tapp is worth a nod during draft time.
__________________
That got ugly fast
diehardskin2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 05:04 AM   #26
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 16,289
Re: Darren Howard

Quote:
Originally Posted by shallyshal
things run in cycles.. like large receivers now.. guys like freeney are rare. just because someone like tapp is similar in size does not mean he will end up the same player
grr, i wish people read better. I was saying not to project him as the next freeney cause I had seen other people saying that in the media and in forums. freeney works on pure speed, something tapp doesn't have, hence a huge difference that renders that sspecific comparision worthless.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 05:15 AM   #27
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 16,289
Re: Darren Howard

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982
First~ Your comparing offensive failures to a defensive player. If I would compare him to anyone, it could be people like Zach Thomas, David Pollack, Kenechi Udeze,Troy polomalo Dwight Freeny... Players on defense who were undersized at their position and had the reputation similar to Tapp in college. ~Hard workers with high motors that always produced.

Second~ Dwight Freeny is 6-1 268, and has played in the NFL for 4 years ofcourse he is stronger and faster its a step up! At Syracuse Freeny emassed 34 sacks in college career. Tapp has 29.5 only, Freeny only has 4.5 more sacks than Tapp. To think Tapp was in the stronger division ACC and did this is a true accomplishment. These guys are very comparable especially given that Tapp has posted a 4.75 40 time. Is Tapp going to do what Freeny has done? I have no idea, but Tapp is worth a nod during draft time.
they may be comparable in records, but not in projected success. Freeney is VERY fast, tapp can't make up ground on qbs, he's very average speed. Freeney posted a 4.38 40 time, thats a world of difference. Freeney has the speed to play safety, tapp would struggle at OLB (he's got a good initial burst though). Pollack and udeze have had average stats at best (and that being generous), and i would definately NOT classify those two as always producing. There's a reason he's not a first round pick, he's not terrible, but comparing him to freeney is insane though. freeney works on pure speed, something tapp just doesn't have.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:48 AM   #28
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,519
Re: Darren Howard

howard is a good team player thats injury prone.maybe coming here and fitting into a rotation would keep him healthy but exactly what kind of money are we talking?too much above the veterans mininmum and i say no
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 02:42 PM   #29
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 16,289
Re: Darren Howard

this staff is VERY willing to extended low price contract to injruy risk players... overall it hasn't worked out great, but we haven't been burned either. springs, harris and noble gave us an insane year and then all got hurt and missed time this year :/ springs contract is below his healthy play though, when you're paying people to sit on IR though... fiore/vaughn/barrow were guys that just never worked.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31593 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25