Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Peter King still doesn't get it

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2006, 08:12 PM   #1
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 28
Posts: 14,423
Peter King still doesn't get it

Another anti-Art Monk for the Hall article by, you guessed it, Peter King.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...bte/index.html
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-14-2006, 09:25 PM   #2
Playmaker
 
70Chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manassas
Age: 43
Posts: 3,048
Re: Peter King still doesn't get it

The Pro Bowl defense doesn't cut it with me. He points out that Carson had 9 Pro Bowls in 13 seasons and I will again point out that Chris Hanburger had 9 Pro Bowls in 14 seasons. Does anyone ever remember Chris being touted for the hall. There are posters on this site who are saying "Chris Who?" even as they read this. King should just come out and say that he's giving bonus points for New York.
__________________
This Monkey's Gone to Heaven
70Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:36 PM   #3
Pro Bowl
 
BigSKINBauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 26
Posts: 5,635
Re: Peter King still doesn't get it

I have a chris Hanburger autograph.

King is also a d-bag
__________________
"For there is nothing half so glorious
As to see our team victorious"



BSB
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:52 PM   #4
The Starter
 
GoSkins!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yorktown, Va
Age: 45
Posts: 1,587
Re: Peter King still doesn't get it

I clicked on the link and after reading half the article I came to the conclusion that the best thing I can say is that King is a really fat guy.
__________________
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts. A. Einstien
GoSkins! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:11 PM   #5
Camp Scrub
 
gusbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 58
Re: Peter King still doesn't get it

He's an idiot and the reason why HOF voting should not be left to the writers. One point is that Monk is a very quiet guy an dprobably didn't grant the fat A** an interview at some point. Second don't the fans do the voting for the Pro Bowl. So Monk wasn't voted to a lote of PBs so what back then the internet wasn't available for people to vote sorry a**e* like M. Vick to the PB. They had to do it at the stadium. RFK was sold out every game by the same fans and they probably only filled out the ballot once and then away games it was always Monk who killed their hopes on 3rd and long. Back to M. Vick if you use fat a**es method of voting M. Vick has been to the PB, I believe, every year of his career. This year he threw for like 2400 yards and was rated, I think 26/27 QB in the NFL. But I guess since he went to the PB he had a HOF season.

Peter King is full of it. Here are the numbers:
Rank Yrs Catches Yards Avg TD
1(1)JERRY RICENFL
20
1,549
22,895
14.8
197

5(5)Art MonkNFL
16
940
12,721
13.5
68

9(8)Steve Largent *NFL
14
819
13,089
16.0
100


14(11)James Lofton *NFL
16
764
14,004
18.3
75
16T(13T)Michael IrvinNFL
12
750
11,904
15.9
65
gusbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 03:41 AM   #6
Special Teams
 
shallyshal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 336
Re: Peter King still doesn't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359
Another anti-Art Monk for the Hall article by, you guessed it, Peter King.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...bte/index.html

the only positive thing you can say is if he keeps having to defend his position he is getting heat for it.

but he is right that there are others who feel the same way he does
shallyshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 03:42 AM   #7
Special Teams
 
shallyshal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 336
Re: Peter King still doesn't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Chip
The Pro Bowl defense doesn't cut it with me. He points out that Carson had 9 Pro Bowls in 13 seasons and I will again point out that Chris Hanburger had 9 Pro Bowls in 14 seasons. Does anyone ever remember Chris being touted for the hall. There are posters on this site who are saying "Chris Who?" even as they read this. King should just come out and say that he's giving bonus points for New York.
if carson plays anywhere else other than ny he never gets inthe hall of fame
shallyshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:03 AM   #8
The Starter
 
backrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 36.28 x 76.22
Age: 62
Posts: 1,808
Re: Peter King still doesn't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusbus
He's an idiot and the reason why HOF voting should not be left to the writers. One point is that Monk is a very quiet guy an dprobably didn't grant the fat A** an interview at some point. Second don't the fans do the voting for the Pro Bowl. So Monk wasn't voted to a lote of PBs so what back then the internet wasn't available for people to vote sorry a**e* like M. Vick to the PB. They had to do it at the stadium. RFK was sold out every game by the same fans and they probably only filled out the ballot once and then away games it was always Monk who killed their hopes on 3rd and long. Back to M. Vick if you use fat a**es method of voting M. Vick has been to the PB, I believe, every year of his career. This year he threw for like 2400 yards and was rated, I think 26/27 QB in the NFL. But I guess since he went to the PB he had a HOF season.

Peter King is full of it. Here are the numbers:
Rank Yrs Catches Yards Avg TD
1(1)JERRY RICENFL
20
1,549
22,895
14.8
197

5(5)Art MonkNFL
16
940
12,721
13.5
68

9(8)Steve Largent *NFL
14
819
13,089
16.0
100


14(11)James Lofton *NFL
16
764
14,004
18.3
75
16T(13T)Michael IrvinNFL
12
750
11,904
15.9
65

Great Post! The Statistics do not lie!
__________________
'37, '42, '83, '88, '92. Championship!
backrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:32 AM   #9
Special Teams
 
skinsttw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 174
Re: Peter King still doesn't get it

Monk definitely deserves HOF. He is just so soft-spoken and has no big ego, that most non-skins fans don't recognize his greatness.
__________________
Go skins!
skinsttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:33 AM   #10
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: Peter King still doesn't get it

The other thing Priscilla King doesn't mention is that, if Monk's peers were in charge of selecting HOF members, THEY WOULD VOTE MONK IN. PK's arguments are complete bunk. Unfortunately, he is one of those people who would rather defend an incorrect position to his grave than admit he might be wrong about something. It's unfortunate that Monk is the one getting hurt as a result.
__________________
Stop reading my signature.
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:57 AM   #11
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: Peter King still doesn't get it

The other thing that seems to be lost some in all of this is that King seems to be one of the more vocal writers on the issue, which leads me to believe perhaps he wields quite a bit of influence upon the other voters.

While he seems to deflect a lot of attention to his other so called peers who aren't voting Monk in as well, with the exception of a few, we really don't know who they are on a national level for the most part. But it is King, in my opinion, who arguably has one of the biggest platforms to voice his opinion from could very well sway others in their voting when it's all said and done.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:20 AM   #12
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: Peter King still doesn't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan
The other thing that seems to be lost some in all of this is that King seems to be one of the more vocal writers on the issue, which leads me to believe perhaps he wields quite a bit of influence upon the other voters.
He is lying through his teeth when he says he has no influence. He and Pastabelly are the most (in)famous of the selectors.

The "at large" (I'm sure they mean "national", not "pant size") selectors are:
David Elfin
Jarrett Bell
Dave Goldberg
Peter King
Bob Oates
Len Pasquarelli
Mike Wilbon

I don't know any of the regional selectors other than John Clayton (and, of course, Shapiro):
Kent Somers
Furman Bisher
Scott Garceau
Mark Gaughan
Charles Chandler
Don Pierson
Chick Ludwig
Tony Grossi
Rick Gosselin
Jeff Legwold
Jerry Green
Cliff Christl
John McClain
Mike Chappell
Sam Kouvaris
Bob Gretz
Edwin Pope
Sid Hartman
Ron Borges
Pete Finney
Vinny DiTrani
Paul Zimmerman
Frank Cooney
Paul Domowitch
Ed Bouchette
Bernie Miklasz
Jerry Magee
Ira Miller
John Clayton
Ira Kaufman
David Climer
Len Shapiro
__________________
Stop reading my signature.
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:24 AM   #13
Camp Scrub
 
C.B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4
Re: Peter King still doesn't get it

Usually I don't get too worked up about guys like King, but the Monk HOF debate seems to strike a cord with me. I actually ripped off this email after reading the article. Since King will never read it someone might as well, so here it is:




Dear Mr. King,



Let me begin by saying that I cannot believe I am writing this. Composing an email to a sports columnist is the absolute height of lunacy, but the cold shoulder the HOF voters give Art Monk frustrates me more than anything in sports. Even if you never read this, writing it should at least be cathartic for me. On to the crazy…



My first inclination is to shove statistics in front of a no vote for Monk. He set the record for single season receptions, career receptions, and consecutive games with a reception. I know that this tactic is of little use. Many no voters have said in the past that Monk clearly has the numbers.



The next thing I want to remind them that he was a winner, played for a winner, and enjoyed as much success on his team as almost any player in the history of the league. The team he played for won three Superbowls and four NFC Championships. They accomplished that with average quarterbacks. If their run had fallen neatly into one decade as opposed to stretching a year into the 90’s they would have to be in the argument with the Niners as the team of the 80’s. They went 16-5 in the postseason during that stretch.



The records and winning aside, the next thing I might have to remind the voters is that receivers were judged by a different ruler before Art came along. 100 catches or 1,000 yards before Art Monk were huge numbers and often unattainable. He was one of the first of today’s ‘big receivers.’ His records have fallen, but it cannot be ignored that they were his records for a time. He had more catches than any man before him. What else are you asking a great receiver to do?



Finally, you and many others acknowledge his numbers and the team success are there. It is impossible to argue that the offense he played for wasn’t one of the all time greats. In your response to emails before this you have said that his presence wasn’t enough on that offense to warrant the pick. In response to that let me say that to Redskins fans of that era, Art Monk was the man. More than Theismann, Riggins, Clark, Mann, Marshall, Bostic, Grimm, or Jacoby - Art Monk was beloved. As a kid who walked to RFK 7 or 8 times a year (and a few more most of those years), I wanted an Art Monk jersey. If you think there were many kids clamoring for a Gary Clark, Ricky Sanders, Gerald Riggs, or even a Doug Williams jersey over Art Monk, you weren’t paying attention. Do you think he needed to pretend to row a boat or dance an Irish jig after scoring to get your attention?



I cannot say for sure, but it feels like the man is punished for being quiet, working hard, and playing for a team that is now run by a guy the media generally dislikes. How else can you consistently not vote for the guy based on your ‘feeling’ about his impact? How many other guys in sports set the career mark for production at their position and have an uphill fight into the hall? Does that even make sense to you?
C.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:29 AM   #14
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: Peter King still doesn't get it

C.B. - welcome, and well said!
__________________
Stop reading my signature.
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:54 AM   #15
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: Peter King still doesn't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.B.
Usually I don't get too worked up about guys like King, but the Monk HOF debate seems to strike a cord with me. I actually ripped off this email after reading the article. Since King will never read it someone might as well, so here it is:




Dear Mr. King,



Let me begin by saying that I cannot believe I am writing this. Composing an email to a sports columnist is the absolute height of lunacy, but the cold shoulder the HOF voters give Art Monk frustrates me more than anything in sports. Even if you never read this, writing it should at least be cathartic for me. On to the crazy…



My first inclination is to shove statistics in front of a no vote for Monk. He set the record for single season receptions, career receptions, and consecutive games with a reception. I know that this tactic is of little use. Many no voters have said in the past that Monk clearly has the numbers.



The next thing I want to remind them that he was a winner, played for a winner, and enjoyed as much success on his team as almost any player in the history of the league. The team he played for won three Superbowls and four NFC Championships. They accomplished that with average quarterbacks. If their run had fallen neatly into one decade as opposed to stretching a year into the 90’s they would have to be in the argument with the Niners as the team of the 80’s. They went 16-5 in the postseason during that stretch.



The records and winning aside, the next thing I might have to remind the voters is that receivers were judged by a different ruler before Art came along. 100 catches or 1,000 yards before Art Monk were huge numbers and often unattainable. He was one of the first of today’s ‘big receivers.’ His records have fallen, but it cannot be ignored that they were his records for a time. He had more catches than any man before him. What else are you asking a great receiver to do?



Finally, you and many others acknowledge his numbers and the team success are there. It is impossible to argue that the offense he played for wasn’t one of the all time greats. In your response to emails before this you have said that his presence wasn’t enough on that offense to warrant the pick. In response to that let me say that to Redskins fans of that era, Art Monk was the man. More than Theismann, Riggins, Clark, Mann, Marshall, Bostic, Grimm, or Jacoby - Art Monk was beloved. As a kid who walked to RFK 7 or 8 times a year (and a few more most of those years), I wanted an Art Monk jersey. If you think there were many kids clamoring for a Gary Clark, Ricky Sanders, Gerald Riggs, or even a Doug Williams jersey over Art Monk, you weren’t paying attention. Do you think he needed to pretend to row a boat or dance an Irish jig after scoring to get your attention?



I cannot say for sure, but it feels like the man is punished for being quiet, working hard, and playing for a team that is now run by a guy the media generally dislikes. How else can you consistently not vote for the guy based on your ‘feeling’ about his impact? How many other guys in sports set the career mark for production at their position and have an uphill fight into the hall? Does that even make sense to you?
Good article. I do think when it's all said and done Monk will get in.
Even if the ghost of Jack Kent Cooke has to visit these guys!

It would be a shame, however, if Michael Irvin get's in before he does.

To me, it's interesting that King is making this out to be some battle between the "locals" and the voting media. But it's the same "locals" that really haven't gotten upset by the ommission of other deserving Redskins from the Hall; Not to the extent of Monk's.

He's funny, I think politics would serve him much better than covering sports, because he's such a good bullshitter!
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.38660 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25