Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


What about our secondary?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2006, 10:21 PM   #1
Impact Rookie
 
theJBexperience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boone, NC
Posts: 579
What about our secondary?

What should the Skins do about the cornerback position? Carlos Rogers looks like he's going to be the man. Unfortunately, Springs was banged up during some important games last season and that was a problem for him in Seattle. Then, there's a huge drop off with Walt Harris, who blew so many assignments last year and gave up TDs. Ade Jimoh's alright but still unproven really.

Who should we go after in free agency? Will there be any worth wild corners in the draft? Is it really as big a need as I think. Clearly, a pass rushing DE is the biggest defensive need.
theJBexperience is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-07-2006, 10:32 PM   #2
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,257
Re: What about our secondary?

Jonathon Joseph or Gerrick mcpherson will be available to us in the draft (2nd/4th rounders). will blackmon (WR/CB but raw) will also be there in the 3rd.

in FA there's dyson, but we probably wont have any money and he's had recent injury problems.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:50 PM   #3
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,627
Re: What about our secondary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJBexperience
What should the Skins do about the cornerback position? Carlos Rogers looks like he's going to be the man. Unfortunately, Springs was banged up during some important games last season and that was a problem for him in Seattle. Then, there's a huge drop off with Walt Harris, who blew so many assignments last year and gave up TDs. Ade Jimoh's alright but still unproven really.

Who should we go after in free agency? Will there be any worth wild corners in the draft? Is it really as big a need as I think. Clearly, a pass rushing DE is the biggest defensive need.
Welcome to the board! Don't think we need to worry about Harris since he's gone.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:09 PM   #4
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,288
Re: What about our secondary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJBexperience
What should the Skins do about the cornerback position? Carlos Rogers looks like he's going to be the man. Unfortunately, Springs was banged up during some important games last season and that was a problem for him in Seattle. Then, there's a huge drop off with Walt Harris, who blew so many assignments last year and gave up TDs. Ade Jimoh's alright but still unproven really.

Who should we go after in free agency? Will there be any worth wild corners in the draft? Is it really as big a need as I think. Clearly, a pass rushing DE is the biggest defensive need.
Nice first post. We definitely need to hope for a new CBA so we can sign someone. I'd like to see a younger guy come into the fold to serve as nickel, and possibly step in once Springs is done around these parts. Not sure who's available.

If there's not a CBA extension, we might be dealing with the Ade as our nickel. I believe the words oh sh*t come to mind.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:26 PM   #5
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: What about our secondary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10
Nice first post. We definitely need to hope for a new CBA so we can sign someone. I'd like to see a younger guy come into the fold to serve as nickel, and possibly step in once Springs is done around these parts. Not sure who's available.

If there's not a CBA extension, we might be dealing with the Ade as our nickel. I believe the words oh sh*t come to mind.
I still like Dyson. He's only 26 years old, has good upside, and won't break the bank. Kid was pretty good before he got injured last season and I see no reason why to hold that injury against him. He certainly doesn't have a history of being injured.

As for the draft, I'm not sure I'm willing to bet on the draft for a corner given how much Williams relies on DBs. I would prefer to see someone more proven. Dyson is exactly that, a proven and young corner.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:26 PM   #6
Special Teams
 
mcalderone10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bethesda MD
Posts: 193
Re: What about our secondary?

i dunno if pass rushing DE is our biggest concern once we got healthy our Dline did pretty well. Everyone for the skins did pretty well those last 5 games. I think 2ndary is goin to be rough. Is any news on ryan clark's status or everything just waiting for the CBA?
mcalderone10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:48 AM   #7
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,257
Re: What about our secondary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramseyfan
I still like Dyson. He's only 26 years old, has good upside, and won't break the bank. Kid was pretty good before he got injured last season and I see no reason why to hold that injury against him. He certainly doesn't have a history of being injured.

As for the draft, I'm not sure I'm willing to bet on the draft for a corner given how much Williams relies on DBs. I would prefer to see someone more proven. Dyson is exactly that, a proven and young corner.
after seeing how much ade has improved in 3 years and seeing how well 3rd round picks did in starting roles from last year, i'm pretty confident a good nickel corner will available as late as the 4th round (UMD, mcpherson, latest round where you can get a really fast guy).

dyson would cost too much to be used as a #3.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:00 AM   #8
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: What about our secondary?

Ade is a great special teamer and a nice dimeback, but I'm not sure that I would rely on him as the nickelback. Given Springs' age and recent injuries, I also wouldn't feel comfortable with the prospect that Ade, as the nickelback, would be one hit away from the starting lineup.

Maybe we don't need a guy of Dyson's caliber at nickel, but I'd like to see a nickel who is solid and capable of stepping into the starting lineup if necessary. I'm not sure that I'd rely on a 4th rounder to fulfill that role; especially given our recent inability to draft well in the later rounds.

Just my 2 cents.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:10 AM   #9
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,257
Re: What about our secondary?

yeah, well, as of right now we don't have a 4th rounder anyways. and i don't really think our #2 or #3 are worth using on a corner (better values at OG/LB/TE/possible #3DT or situational pass rusher), so i guess i agree, due to the logistics.

sam madison might be cheap enough... the FA market isn't exactly brimming with CB talent this year.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:27 AM   #10
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: What about our secondary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
yeah, well, as of right now we don't have a 4th rounder anyways. and i don't really think our #2 or #3 are worth using on a corner (better values at OG/LB/TE/possible #3DT or situational pass rusher), so i guess i agree, due to the logistics.

sam madison might be cheap enough... the FA market isn't exactly brimming with CB talent this year.
Good point about the 4th rounder. I forgot that was part of the deal with the Broncos. I also agree about the fact that we could get better value out of our #2 and #3 at the TE or LB positions (which are very deep in the draft this year). I don't know much about the guard or defensive tackle prospects.

Madison could be cheap. I don't know. Unfortunately, it appears the Giants are targeting him and they have more money and could offer him a starting job (given that Allen is leaving and Peterson is recovering from an injury).

Dyson won't be cheap, but he won't break the bank. Last season, he signed a 5-year deal worth $17.5 million with a mere $1.5 million signing bonus. Even though the FA pool of cornerbacks is shallow, I can't imagine he'll be worth a lot more now given that he spent much of last season injured.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:14 AM   #11
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,257
Re: What about our secondary?

that isn't an excessive contract for a starting corner, but averaging 3mill for a backup is probably more than the skins can afford (without a new cba). I think most nicklebacks make closer to 1.5mill (if they're good, otherwise, vet min).

since he did have an injury the price may be down. the problem is once an NFL player gets injured its more likely they'll continue to miss time in the future. he may not have missed a ton of games, but there were a few times where i saw him leaving in the middle of games (like philly where he barely played) due to all kinds of troubles (asthma?), so playing time incentives would be a must.

Once smoot left last year, dyson was the guy i wanted to get, so i don't doubt his ability, and his age is pretty good too. I just wonder what his price will be.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:49 AM   #12
Camp Scrub
 
frenchdiehardskinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: romans,france
Posts: 6
Re: What about our secondary?

I really would opt for 2 options; either draft a CB like mcphearson (cause joseph will probably not be there in the second) or if the cba is done which i hope it will be, sign a guy like madison.

Ps:the skins may get into the first round without trading a draft pick to get vernon Davis
frenchdiehardskinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:34 AM   #13
Impact Rookie
 
theJBexperience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boone, NC
Posts: 579
Re: What about our secondary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchdiehardskinsfan
I really would opt for 2 options; either draft a CB like mcphearson (cause joseph will probably not be there in the second) or if the cba is done which i hope it will be, sign a guy like madison.

Ps:the skins may get into the first round without trading a draft pick to get vernon Davis
How might we get into the first round?

I agree that Dyson is probably our best option in free agency, but since the CB market is so thin, there will most likely be other teams willing to inflate his price.

What about Ty Law? I really wanted the Skins to go after him last offseason instead of Samari Rolle. Most people thought there wasn't much gas left in his tank, but he had 10 picks with the Jets. Yes, he's old, but he's a great vet and would benefit guys like Carlos Rogers and Ade Jimoh. I'm thinking Springs will miss some games next season, so splitting time with Ty Law would be nice.
theJBexperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:31 PM   #14
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,257
Re: What about our secondary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJBexperience
How might we get into the first round?

I agree that Dyson is probably our best option in free agency, but since the CB market is so thin, there will most likely be other teams willing to inflate his price.

What about Ty Law? I really wanted the Skins to go after him last offseason instead of Samari Rolle. Most people thought there wasn't much gas left in his tank, but he had 10 picks with the Jets. Yes, he's old, but he's a great vet and would benefit guys like Carlos Rogers and Ade Jimoh. I'm thinking Springs will miss some games next season, so splitting time with Ty Law would be nice.
I also don't see how the %$^& we'd get into the first round.

love ty law, but we got two starting corners already and he'd be WAY too expensive (he just had a 10 int season).
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:48 PM   #15
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,479
Re: What about our secondary?

Thing is, it might be one of those situations of saturation where theres quite a few available older CBs and with the CBA extension (or not) the prices may go down.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31509 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25