Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Who starts at QB?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2006, 09:17 AM   #16
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,330
Re: Who starts at QB?

We'll open the season like this:

1. Brunell
2. Campbell
3. Collins

Whether we'll close the season like that is the question.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-15-2006, 09:20 AM   #17
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Who starts at QB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLeurope
I apologize in advance to anyone this post might annoy or if this momentarily brings back to life...the old ass tired Ramsey-Brunell debate.

but let me just say that if Cambell is truly gonna remain our number 3 then i dont know wtf they brought in todd collins for.

It is my personal belief that Ramsey given the weapons we now have...could...(and i think and have thought for a long time) should be the guy to lead us deep into the playoffs. I just really wish he had gotten a shot here.

But i feel that every single thing that has been done with Ramsey has been done completely backwards... Like even now, regarding his impending departure from the skins...the skins have now signed a 3rd QB...making it painfully obvious around the league that Ramsey will not be here next year.

This sends a message to potential trade partners that they can offer next to nothing or even nothing at all for ramsey...because they now believe we will just release him soon anyway. So what ever happend to getting fair value for the kid.

i personally believe he is better than Brunell (though i understand and of course respect people who disagree with me on that point). However, i dont think it is far fetched to assert that he is probably better than Jason Cambell at this point. And certainly better than freaking Todd Collins...

So all in all, i guess as a final mini tribute to Ramsey...i just wanted to say one last time that i really liked and believed in the kid...and i really wish we would keep our 3 QB's from last year...and actually allow Ramsey to compete with Brunell for the starting job next season. I truly believe he could lead this new and improved team to a fantastic season, and an exciting playoff chase...

Ok, sorry once again to those who didnt want to have to read that...but thats just my two cents...and i guess if you dont appreciate reading about ramsey...well you can take comfort in the fact that these "silly" arguments wont be around for very much longer as i imagine ramsey will be gone in the coming days.
If everyone in the league saw what you might see in Ramsey he would be gone by now. He is a low price pick up for another team and they are not going after him. I thought that a team by now might have picked up Ramsey just to bring in a QB that could compete for the starting job and if not the starter a solid back up. Maybe other teams see what Gibbs see in Ramsey and are not willing to take the chance on him. He will find a new team but I think it will be as a back up for the first year atleast.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:20 AM   #18
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,330
Re: Who starts at QB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLeurope
I apologize in advance to anyone this post might annoy or if this momentarily brings back to life...the old ass tired Ramsey-Brunell debate.

but let me just say that if Cambell is truly gonna remain our number 3 then i dont know wtf they brought in todd collins for.

It is my personal belief that Ramsey given the weapons we now have...could...(and i think and have thought for a long time) should be the guy to lead us deep into the playoffs. I just really wish he had gotten a shot here.

But i feel that every single thing that has been done with Ramsey has been done completely backwards... Like even now, regarding his impending departure from the skins...the skins have now signed a 3rd QB...making it painfully obvious around the league that Ramsey will not be here next year.

This sends a message to potential trade partners that they can offer next to nothing or even nothing at all for ramsey...because they now believe we will just release him soon anyway. So what ever happend to getting fair value for the kid.

i personally believe he is better than Brunell (though i understand and of course respect people who disagree with me on that point). However, i dont think it is far fetched to assert that he is probably better than Jason Cambell at this point. And certainly better than freaking Todd Collins...

So all in all, i guess as a final mini tribute to Ramsey...i just wanted to say one last time that i really liked and believed in the kid...and i really wish we would keep our 3 QB's from last year...and actually allow Ramsey to compete with Brunell for the starting job next season. I truly believe he could lead this new and improved team to a fantastic season, and an exciting playoff chase...

Ok, sorry once again to those who didnt want to have to read that...but thats just my two cents...and i guess if you dont appreciate reading about ramsey...well you can take comfort in the fact that these "silly" arguments wont be around for very much longer as i imagine ramsey will be gone in the coming days.
Ugh, no offense man and my rant isn't directed at you specifically, but when can we finally drop this debate??

Ramsey is on his way out, his time here is done. He wasn't drafted by Gibbs, and Gibbs obviously doesn't think as highly of Ramsey as some of his fanboys do. Why do we have to keep rehashing this every other day?
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:24 AM   #19
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Who starts at QB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown
If everyone in the league saw what you might see in Ramsey he would be gone by now. He is a low price pick up for another team and they are not going after him. I thought that a team by now might have picked up Ramsey just to bring in a QB that could compete for the starting job and if not the starter a solid back up. Maybe other teams see what Gibbs see in Ramsey and are not willing to take the chance on him. He will find a new team but I think it will be as a back up for the first year atleast.
some teams (like cinncy) HAVE gone after him, but he's refused to visit them.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:30 AM   #20
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,316
Re: Who starts at QB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby
I believe it was this afternoon. I was watching total access, about the time culpepper was traded to miami, and he was talking about qb movings and such around the league. I thought that Campbell would be our #2 this season too, that's why i'm not positively sure this true, but i do remember him saying that "sources say that campbell is not ready to be a #2 at this point".
I don't think this report by Shefter is the least bit accurate. Gibbs gave a glowing review of Campbell's progress when the season ended, and has told him that next year he better be ready to earn his keep.

I don't think there's any way Campbell will be the #3 this year. No way in hell. I think it's quite possible that Campbell is ready to START, not just be the 2nd stringer.

I don't trust Schefter's "sources". He doesn't have a reputation for being a great NFL insider. If Mort was saying this, I might buy into it a little more. But I think this is complete bullcrap.

Gibbs would not give a glowing review of Campbell if he wasn't ready to step it up next season. Gibbs doesn't make things up like that. He follows the "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all policy." With Ramsey he often finds little nice to say, and instead dances around the questions. He doesn't do that with Campbell, he has plenty of nice things to say.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:45 AM   #21
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: Who starts at QB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
We'll open the season like this:

1. Brunell
2. Campbell
3. Collins

Whether we'll close the season like that is the question.
I agree 100%. Barring injury of course. I can't see Gibbs goin to Campbell to start the season, but as we've seen these last couple years, Brunell's health is an issue over the course of 16 games.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:55 AM   #22
Camp Scrub
 
aussieskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bundaberg Queensland Australia
Posts: 4
Re: Who starts at QB?

Joe Gibbs likes to raise his QBs over a long time, the longer the better, Jason will be #3 next season, he will continue to learn by observing, hopefully if we get a game that will be a blowout Jason will get some snaps to see where he is at in his training.
aussieskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:59 AM   #23
The Starter
 
scowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: KY
Age: 45
Posts: 1,524
Re: Who starts at QB?

Guys, I will try to find the link, but I read something online yesterday about the Todd Collins signing that his agent stated that the team informed Collins that he would be the number 2 guy going into the season. Of course that could all change after the Preseason next August. Collins being the #2 is most probably based on him knowning the offense better than Campbell at this point.
scowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:01 AM   #24
Special Teams
 
Huddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 352
Re: Who starts at QB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown
If everyone in the league saw what you might see in Ramsey he would be gone by now. He is a low price pick up for another team and they are not going after him. I thought that a team by now might have picked up Ramsey just to bring in a QB that could compete for the starting job and if not the starter a solid back up. Maybe other teams see what Gibbs see in Ramsey and are not willing to take the chance on him. He will find a new team but I think it will be as a back up for the first year atleast.
Ramsey wants to go somewhere where he has the chance to start. He isn't going to sign an extension with a team that doesn't suit him...and without that extension...there's not much value in picking up the last year of his contract. Particularly when he's probably going to be released if the team can't find someone who wants him for only one year.
Huddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:12 AM   #25
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Who starts at QB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10
I don't think this report by Shefter is the least bit accurate. Gibbs gave a glowing review of Campbell's progress when the season ended, and has told him that next year he better be ready to earn his keep.

I don't think there's any way Campbell will be the #3 this year. No way in hell. I think it's quite possible that Campbell is ready to START, not just be the 2nd stringer.

I don't trust Schefter's "sources". He doesn't have a reputation for being a great NFL insider. If Mort was saying this, I might buy into it a little more. But I think this is complete bullcrap.

Gibbs would not give a glowing review of Campbell if he wasn't ready to step it up next season. Gibbs doesn't make things up like that. He follows the "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all policy." With Ramsey he often finds little nice to say, and instead dances around the questions. He doesn't do that with Campbell, he has plenty of nice things to say.
really? so i guess that means that jacobs really is an amazing receiver after all, and that royal is a super smart guy fighting his guts out and has great hands. or that brunell (circa 2004) wasn't doing anything at all wrong, even though he couldn't hit wide open guys 6 yards down the field.

gibbs has a bad habit of publicly blowing sh*t up his player's @$$es on a regular basis. people just believe it cause they want to.

I hope campbell is amazing, but being talked up by this staff is worthless and means nothing based on past experiences.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:13 AM   #26
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,330
Re: Who starts at QB?

As of right now Collins probably is the #2, but that will change with a strong camp by Campbell. If Campbell can't beat out Collins on the depth chart we might have a problem on our hands.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:13 AM   #27
Special Teams
 
Skins_4_Lyfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upper Marlboro, MD/Greensboro, NC
Age: 26
Posts: 482
Re: Who starts at QB?

Brunell will get us to the Super Bowl...if he fails to produce with the talent he's surrounded by then we can start talking about making a change. Until then Brunell is our guy, he's got about one more good season left in the tank.
I also heard during the end of last season that Campbell was having a hard time learning the offense and that he wasn't ready.
__________________

Skins_4_Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:29 AM   #28
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,792
Re: Who starts at QB?

All you Salary Cap Gurus out there, is Jason Campbell due any kind of bonus for playing as early as 2006 that the Redskins would avoid by not playing him until 2007?

I'm not saying that that's going to decide who will play in '06, I'm just curious.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:32 AM   #29
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Who starts at QB?

i heard he does have playing time incentives back when he was signed... no idea on the accuracy or numbers though.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:35 AM   #30
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,316
Re: Who starts at QB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
really? so i guess that means that jacobs really is an amazing receiver after all, and that royal is a super smart guy fighting his guts out and has great hands. or that brunell (circa 2004) wasn't doing anything at all wrong, even though he couldn't hit wide open guys 6 yards down the field.

gibbs has a bad habit of publicly blowing sh*t up his player's @$$es on a regular basis. people just believe it cause they want to.

I hope campbell is amazing, but being talked up by this staff is worthless and means nothing based on past experiences.
I don't remember Gibbs ever saying that Jacobs was a great receiver, I remember him saying that he had a lot of potential. You'll have to show me that comment. Royal did fight his guts out, worked really hard, and had good hands except for that one game. Gibbs just didn't mention the things that limit him, like his speed, strength, and agility which affects blocking skills. But Royal did work really hard. Brunell circa 2004 wasn't doing anything wrong man, it was his injury causing the problems. That's what Gibbs was getting at with that comment.

He doesn't blow smoke. He chooses his comments very carefully. He says positive things when he can, and doesn't talk about the players' limitations.

His comments regarding Campbell have pretty much covered the gamut of every skill and attribute you'd want in your QB. It was glowing.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33554 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25