Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Abraham for Ramsey/picks still possible?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2006, 12:03 PM   #1
Playmaker
 
illdefined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: nyc
Age: 38
Posts: 2,631
Abraham for Ramsey/picks still possible?

hey guys, has there been any new word on this? Jets seem to be the only ones who remember Ramsey; Miami much less so now cuz of Culpeper...

do we have the cap room/cash to sign another big FA contract? do we even have any picks left to give?

we've been starved at DE for so long, i don't think thats a position we can upgrade ENOUGH. Jets could certainly use Ramsey's arm. does signing Carter dead this scenario?
__________________
a fan. not a cheerleader.
illdefined is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-16-2006, 12:07 PM   #2
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,349
Re: Abraham for Ramsey/picks still possible?

Last word was Abraham was looking for a monster bonus, in the $16M - $18M range. I think that's too high even for Snyder's taste.

I think Carter solved our DE issue and a deal for Abraham isn't likely anymore.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:12 PM   #3
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,297
Re: Abraham for Ramsey/picks still possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
Last word was Abraham was looking for a monster bonus, in the $16M - $18M range. I think that's too high even for Snyder's taste.

I think Carter solved our DE issue and a deal for Abraham isn't likely anymore.
Agreed. Plus I think it's quite possible nobody will trade anything for Ramsey at this point. Teams with QB needs are pretty much satisfied with their signings at this point. The Jets have mild interest to add him as insurance for Pennington, but if they're the only team with interest they have no reason to rush into trading any picks. They can just wait us out until we need his cap room and release him.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:13 PM   #4
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,297
Re: Abraham for Ramsey/picks still possible?

Plus Aaron Brooks might come on the market sometime soon.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:16 PM   #5
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,638
Re: Abraham for Ramsey/picks still possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10
Plus Aaron Brooks might come on the market sometime soon.
And Joey Harrington.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:27 PM   #6
Playmaker
 
illdefined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: nyc
Age: 38
Posts: 2,631
Re: Abraham for Ramsey/picks still possible?

eh that sux. everybody knows Pennington throws like a girl. Ramsey would open up the whole other half of the field for them and he's proven he isn't near as fragile.

too bad about Abraham, that deal would've matched the 2 big gains on offense we made for the defense. so the best we can hope for is a 4th round pick?
__________________
a fan. not a cheerleader.
illdefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:32 PM   #7
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: Abraham for Ramsey/picks still possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10
Agreed. Plus I think it's quite possible nobody will trade anything for Ramsey at this point. Teams with QB needs are pretty much satisfied with their signings at this point. The Jets have mild interest to add him as insurance for Pennington, but if they're the only team with interest they have no reason to rush into trading any picks. They can just wait us out until we need his cap room and release him.
The more I think about the Ramsey situation, the more I think that since the redskins have had him this long, the redskins would gain more leverage the more they wait in trying to trade him. At this point, the market for him is ice cold and has the worst trade value from this point on. The way I look at it, it couldn't get worse, only better. There are some advantages to waiting: qb is a need position, which compared to other positions is the most critical. If another team would lose a starter or highly dependable 2nd stringer, it would increase his value. The chances of someone losing a qb due to injury is pretty good. They could, at the very least, keep ramsey until they signed their higher draft choice(s). That way they could reserve that cap space and roster spot for the rookie(s).

The disadvantages for the redskins would be- taking up a roster spot if they keep him after they sign their rookies. And the draft may hurt his value a little with an influx of rookie qbs hitting the nfl - the impact would be minimal because hopefully teams would view any rookie qb differently from Ramsey in at least experience (which I would expect to count a lot) and they would view them in different roles to fill on the team (because of experience).
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:53 PM   #8
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,266
Re: Abraham for Ramsey/picks still possible?

brooks is already on the market. harrington is complaining, and if the lions get another average QB (like mccown) they'll ditch him to avoid his 4$mill bonus (june 15th).

JA is whiny and wants monster cash. ramsey doesn't have enough value and JA i wasted money. you can only go so crazy in FA before the signings really start forcing you to cut people (not this year, but in 2007 or 2008). daniels is a decent #2, carter is a good #1. once evans re-signs (:P) our DL will be set for the year.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:02 PM   #9
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: Abraham for Ramsey/picks still possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath
The more I think about the Ramsey situation, the more I think that since the redskins have had him this long, the redskins would gain more leverage the more they wait in trying to trade him. At this point, the market for him is ice cold and has the worst trade value from this point on. The way I look at it, it couldn't get worse, only better. There are some advantages to waiting: qb is a need position, which compared to other positions is the most critical. If another team would lose a starter or highly dependable 2nd stringer, it would increase his value. The chances of someone losing a qb due to injury is pretty good. They could, at the very least, keep ramsey until they signed their higher draft choice(s). That way they could reserve that cap space and roster spot for the rookie(s).

The disadvantages for the redskins would be- taking up a roster spot if they keep him after they sign their rookies. And the draft may hurt his value a little with an influx of rookie qbs hitting the nfl - the impact would be minimal because hopefully teams would view any rookie qb differently from Ramsey in at least experience (which I would expect to count a lot) and they would view them in different roles to fill on the team (because of experience).
yeah, if we hold on to him like we did Gardner last year, there might be a qb injury that makes a team step up w/a higher draft pick. I don't know if cap-wise that's feasible, but I agree, at this point nobody's gonna give us anything.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:15 PM   #10
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Abraham for Ramsey/picks still possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by illdefined
eh that sux. everybody knows Pennington throws like a girl. Ramsey would open up the whole other half of the field for them and he's proven he isn't near as fragile.

too bad about Abraham, that deal would've matched the 2 big gains on offense we made for the defense. so the best we can hope for is a 4th round pick?

Ramsey's situation is comprable to a used car with tremendous value to the owner but little in terms of blue book value. It's hard to phantom Ramsey not garnering more interest around the league. I know hindsight is 20/20 but I'm reminded of a time (maybe early last year) when the Dolphins were considering a 1st rounder for him. My! how things have changed, and Ramsey has fallen.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:27 PM   #11
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,349
Re: Abraham for Ramsey/picks still possible?

The market for Ramsey is getting colder by the minute.

At this point it looks like the Skins might get stuck having to release him.

Ramsey obviously isn't as coveted as some of us may believe.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:39 PM   #12
Playmaker
 
illdefined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: nyc
Age: 38
Posts: 2,631
Re: Abraham for Ramsey/picks still possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan
I know hindsight is 20/20 but I'm reminded of a time (maybe early last year) when the Dolphins were considering a 1st rounder for him. My! how things have changed, and Ramsey has fallen.
it wasn't all hindsight. Ramsey's trade value was a big issue for many of us at the time of the fateful Brunell switch.
__________________
a fan. not a cheerleader.
illdefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:43 PM   #13
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: Abraham for Ramsey/picks still possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by illdefined
it wasn't all hindsight. Ramsey's trade value was a big issue for many of us at the time of the fateful Brunell switch.
I thought about that too, but at the time, gibbs decided that it would be too much of risk to trade Ramsey at that point and not have a veteran qb already familiar with the system to back up Brunell.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:44 PM   #14
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Abraham for Ramsey/picks still possible?

IMHO, Ramsey is going to get a 7th rounder or be released and there is no way we get Abraham.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:52 PM   #15
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: Abraham for Ramsey/picks still possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha
IMHO, Ramsey is going to get a 7th rounder or be released and there is no way we get Abraham.
I would release him rather than get a 7th rounder from the jets, just on principle alone. But if it were me, I'd be patient and wait it out - things in the nfl change in a flash. Just think about what was going on just 7 days ago and then 14 days ago, I know there's a big difference because cba and fa starting, but my point is the nfl landscape is always changing. It's starting to slow down a bit, but that's kinda what we might want.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28618 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25