Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


rooting for Goliath

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2006, 01:51 AM   #16
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 16,594
Re: rooting for Goliath

didn't jerry win a SB ? I figure that can take some pressure off you.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline  

Advertisements
Old 03-27-2006, 04:04 AM   #17
Special Teams
 
Huddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 352
Re: rooting for Goliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25
a win is a win is a win.to me,winning cures everything.i really dont care what other fans think
Yours is the thick-skinned attitude Redskins fans will need.

My remarks are meant for those more sensitive to criticism. We aren't going to be admired if we win; we will be laughed at if we lose. Let's get used to it.
Huddle is offline  
Old 03-27-2006, 04:46 AM   #18
Special Teams
 
Huddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 352
Re: rooting for Goliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kope
Goliath - shmoliath. Like NYG/NYJ, DaBears, Pats and Fish have no poplulation to draw from; paaalease. Snyder is pulling his weight...what about the other owners?
It isn't good for the league if the small market teams run losses as they did in the NHL.

Bear in mind, it's not the cap limit that counts but the actual payroll limit. Are all the owners with lower payrolls than the Redskins simply tight-fisted? Probably not.

But the real issue for Redskins' fans is not whether the criticism our team gets is fair or unfair. The point is that we are not going to be admired if we win and we'll be trashed if we have the league's highest payroll and still lose. That being the case, a thick-skinned attitude for Skins' fans works best.
Huddle is offline  
Old 03-27-2006, 05:12 AM   #19
Special Teams
 
Huddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 352
Re: rooting for Goliath

Sociofan

Quote:
Okay, as a Red Sox fanatic, I immediataly resent any comparisons of the Redskins to the Yankees.
Relax. I used the Yankees as an analogy to help explain the reasons for the public attitude. The use of an analogy does not imply that its author is drawing comparisons beyond the idea presented.

Quote:
Jack Kent Cooke used to spend money like he was printing it and would routinely have one of (if not THE) highest payrolls in the NFL. Yet people loved him and the Skins.
Free agency makes Snyder's spending more obvious.

The Skins were criticized for keeping the most players on IR year after year (there was no limit then).
Huddle is offline  
Old 03-27-2006, 05:18 AM   #20
Special Teams
 
Huddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 352
Re: rooting for Goliath

angryssg says:

Quote:
Yet we criticize him [Snyder] constantly. One day all of that spent money is going to translate into a Super Bowl. So stop complaining about his open pockets, and welcome them. We will thank him later!
I don't think you'll find too many Redskins fans complaining but that's not what we're talking about here.
Huddle is offline  
Old 03-27-2006, 06:33 AM   #21
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,525
Re: rooting for Goliath

i live in the heart of eagle country and they despise dan snyder.they will not admit to it,but the reason is pure jealousy.year after year us redskin fans know that our owner will spend every nickel that he is allowed to put the best,most competitive team on the field.in the eagles situation,they know that their owner will try to shortcut the cap,make low ball offers to players,and really not be a major player in free agency.they are happy to be 10-12 million under the cap every year(im not sure why?)
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline  
Old 03-27-2006, 06:42 AM   #22
Pro Bowl
 
BigSKINBauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 27
Posts: 5,637
Re: rooting for Goliath

I'll find the numbers later but the "cheap" eagles outspent the skins last year. The skins cannot spend money every year. OVer a course of 5 years the spend the same amount as all teams. They, however, decide to spend extra one year and less another. Just a system, no advantage. This system has yet to prove itself.
__________________
"For there is nothing half so glorious
As to see our team victorious"



BSB
BigSKINBauer is offline  
Old 03-27-2006, 06:49 AM   #23
Special Teams
 
Huddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 352
Re: rooting for Goliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25
in the eagles situation,they know that their owner will try to shortcut the cap,make low ball offers to players,and really not be a major player in free agency.they are happy to be 10-12 million under the cap every year(im not sure why?)
With the on-field success the Eagles have enjoyed in recent years, their fans have no reason to be unhappy. They will sing a different tune if their team suffers some lean years.
Huddle is offline  
Old 03-27-2006, 07:28 AM   #24
Special Teams
 
NAVYSKINSFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Norfolk va
Age: 33
Posts: 150
Re: rooting for Goliath

I agree the eagles have been the beast of the east for a few years now. But that is about to change!
NAVYSKINSFAN is offline  
Old 03-27-2006, 07:44 AM   #25
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,525
Re: rooting for Goliath

they have been very lucky as far as drafting and plugging holes after some of their people left.i think their window is closing and they are heading towards the eagles of old(we all remember the years not long ago when they SUCKED)
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline  
Old 03-27-2006, 08:22 AM   #26
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 36
Posts: 8,743
Re: rooting for Goliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddle
With the on-field success the Eagles have enjoyed in recent years, their fans have no reason to be unhappy. They will sing a different tune if their team suffers some lean years.
I live in the Philly suburbs, and I think what gets to the fans around here more than anything is that no pro sports team here has won a title since the Phillies in 1980. The town has been teased by the 1983 Phillies, 1993 Phillies, 2001 Sixers, and 2004 Eagles all making it to the finals and losing. They're upset because they get so close to winning it all and then lose it.

PS Nothing is better than tuning into WIP (Philly's sports talk radio station) the day after they lose a title game. Grown men call in and break down in tears over the air. Some sound like they're ready to jump off a building. It's fantastic.
Schneed10 is offline  
Old 03-27-2006, 08:28 AM   #27
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 36
Posts: 8,743
Re: rooting for Goliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddle
With the on-field success the Eagles have enjoyed in recent years, their fans have no reason to be unhappy. They will sing a different tune if their team suffers some lean years.
If I were an Eagle fan I'd actually be extremely upset right now. They have major problems along both their offensive and defensive lines. They got Darren Howard which helps a lot, but they needed to do some things along the offensive line big time. They didn't land LeCharles Bentley and they didn't even try for Steve Hutchinson. They resigned Runyan which helps, but they're still going to be starting Artis Hicks, Hank Fraley, and Shawn Andrews in the interior of the line. That's terrible, considering how much cap room they have.

Eagles fans are very frustrated because they know their team is not what it once was, and yet the team isn't willing to pay for upgrades despite ample cap room. I'd be very frustrated with that too. It shows arrogance on the part of Eagles' management, they seem to be convinced that what they have on hand is good enough, and that they don't have to spend the extra money to compete. It's like they think a guard (Hutchinson) isn't worth $49 million a year. My response to that is WHO CARES WHAT IT COSTS WHEN YOU HAVE $25 MILLION IN CAP ROOM. And a lot of Eagles fans feel the same way.
Schneed10 is offline  
Old 03-27-2006, 08:56 AM   #28
The Starter
 
PSUSkinsFan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Age: 38
Posts: 1,340
Re: rooting for Goliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddle
With the on-field success the Eagles have enjoyed in recent years, their fans have no reason to be unhappy. They will sing a different tune if their team suffers some lean years.
What success? The only thing Philly cares about is finally getting a championship again......and it's a pretty bitter pill to swallow when you come up just short for four straight years and you look at your cap situation and realize that you're 15 million under the cap. Then the "what if's" start coming into play. What if they had actually spent some of that money on getting a 2nd top-rate WR, or a better pass rushing DE opposite Kearse, or keeping Trotter the first time around, or getting a stud RB, or .....

The "what if's" are neverending because the fans all know that their owner is not doing everything he can to get over that final hump. If you lose in the super bowl, and spent every last dime you had on getting the best talent available, then you can't point the finger at the greedy owner. However, if you lose in the Super Bowl in a close game with cap room left, you can't help but wonder if that cap space could have gotten you those one or two players that could have made the difference between winning and losing.
__________________
"Hail to the Redskins!" and "Fight on State!"
PSUSkinsFan21 is offline  
Old 03-27-2006, 09:00 AM   #29
The Starter
 
PSUSkinsFan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Age: 38
Posts: 1,340
Re: rooting for Goliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10
I live in the Philly suburbs, and I think what gets to the fans around here more than anything is that no pro sports team here has won a title since the Phillies in 1980.
Actually, didn't the Sixers win in 1983? Your point still stands though, its been over 2 decades......the worst drought of any city with the four major sports teams.

Oh, and for the burbs, you can always count Villanova's last championship too (1985? I think). How sad is that though? Even when you throw in the colleges in the area you're still over 20 years.
__________________
"Hail to the Redskins!" and "Fight on State!"
PSUSkinsFan21 is offline  
Old 03-27-2006, 09:01 AM   #30
The Starter
 
PSUSkinsFan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Age: 38
Posts: 1,340
Re: rooting for Goliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10
If I were an Eagle fan I'd actually be extremely upset right now. They have major problems along both their offensive and defensive lines. They got Darren Howard which helps a lot, but they needed to do some things along the offensive line big time. They didn't land LeCharles Bentley and they didn't even try for Steve Hutchinson. They resigned Runyan which helps, but they're still going to be starting Artis Hicks, Hank Fraley, and Shawn Andrews in the interior of the line. That's terrible, considering how much cap room they have.

Eagles fans are very frustrated because they know their team is not what it once was, and yet the team isn't willing to pay for upgrades despite ample cap room. I'd be very frustrated with that too. It shows arrogance on the part of Eagles' management, they seem to be convinced that what they have on hand is good enough, and that they don't have to spend the extra money to compete. It's like they think a guard (Hutchinson) isn't worth $49 million a year. My response to that is WHO CARES WHAT IT COSTS WHEN YOU HAVE $25 MILLION IN CAP ROOM. And a lot of Eagles fans feel the same way.
Agree 100% on all counts.
__________________
"Hail to the Redskins!" and "Fight on State!"
PSUSkinsFan21 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31536 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25