Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


rooting for Goliath

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2006, 12:53 PM   #46
The Starter
 
PSUSkinsFan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Age: 37
Posts: 1,340
Re: rooting for Goliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddle
Well, I was responding to your opening: "What success?"...as though there were none. So, we're talking past each other here.

Snyder, in the past, has been willing but not able to buy us a Super Bowl. The Philly organization has been able but not willing.
I guess it depends our definition of "success" then, because to me if your goal is a championship and you fail to reach that goal, you haven't succeeded. In any event, I don't think we actually disagree on anything substantive here.
__________________
"Hail to the Redskins!" and "Fight on State!"
PSUSkinsFan21 is offline  

Advertisements
Old 03-27-2006, 02:07 PM   #47
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: rooting for Goliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddle
Your take on the Eagles sounds like its right on the money to me with the exception of your final point about Hutchinson.

Let's say that X represents the team's payroll limit determined by the salary cap. If you overpay your roster by ten per-cent overall, you end up with a roster with a value of .9X.

If instead, you bargain-hunt for personnel and underpay your roster by ten per-cent overall, you end up with a roster with a value of 1.1X.

I think bargain hunting is the key to building the best roster in this salary cap era. Hutchinson isn't a bargain.

On the other hand, a policy of being continually under the cap doesn't cut it either.
you don't mention that only 11 players are on the field at a time, so maxing those 11 (or 22) is more important than value at RB #4, and leaving 25mill unspent means you start at 0.75 instead of 1.00.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline  
Old 03-27-2006, 02:13 PM   #48
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: rooting for Goliath

I think if the skins won a SB, they'd get slurped just like every other SB winner and danny would become a good owner (magically) and a lot of the bashing would turn into "that's just how he works" stuff. Winning fixes everything.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline  
Old 03-27-2006, 02:34 PM   #49
Special Teams
 
Huddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 352
Re: rooting for Goliath

That Guy

Quote:
you don't mention that only 11 players are on the field at a time, so maxing those 11 (or 22) is more important than value at RB #4,
I explained a basic strategy in a couple of sentences. There were lots of lesser points omitted

Quote:
...and leaving 25mill unspent means you start at 0.75 instead of 1.00.
I said this: "The best strategy for a team is to spend the payroll limit, but to spend it wisely...on players who might be worth more than their market value."

I think that covers your point but in a different way.

Incidentally, I think this "bargain strategy" applies to the draft as well. One study I saw concluded that the best values in the draft happen between picks 25 to 75. I didn't look at their data but I can understand logically why their conclusion might be valid.
Huddle is offline  
Old 03-27-2006, 03:07 PM   #50
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: rooting for Goliath

Quote:
Quote:
you don't mention that only 11 players are on the field at a time, so maxing those 11 (or 22) is more important than value at RB #4,

I explained a basic strategy in a couple of sentences. There were lots of lesser points omitted
please point it out. I see you said its important to spend to the limit after someone else brought it up, but i definately didn't see anything about how talent at starting positions are more important even if it rubs against the price/performance thing a bit.

Quote:
Incidentally, I think this "bargain strategy" applies to the draft as well. One study I saw concluded that the best values in the draft happen between picks 25 to 75. I didn't look at their data but I can understand logically why their conclusion might be valid.
if leinhart or bush bust, you're out at least 20million. if pick #30 busts,
you're out less than 5$mill. Starting LBs, RBs, #2/possible #1 CBs, OGs, Cs, FS/SSs, FBs, Ks, Ps, TEs, DTs can all be found easily in the 2nd round.

starting/#1 WRs, QBs, DEs, OTs (especially LTs), solid #1 CBs and stars at other positions are what can't be easily found outside round 1. These positions also tend to earn the most money. sometimes you get lucky and pull a QB in the 6th that turns into a HoF player, but its not that likely.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline  
Old 03-27-2006, 03:31 PM   #51
Special Teams
 
Huddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 352
Re: rooting for Goliath

That Guy

Quote:
please point it out. I see you said its important to spend to the limit after someone else brought it up, but i definately didn't see anything about how talent at starting positions are more important even if it rubs against the price/performance thing a bit.
Did you read my response? How am I supposed to point out something that was omitted (along with dozens of other points less important than the basic strategy)?

As for the spending limit, I made two references to it BEFORE you brought it up as though it had never been discussed.
Huddle is offline  
Old 03-27-2006, 05:11 PM   #52
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: rooting for Goliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddle
That Guy



Did you read my response? How am I supposed to point out something that was omitted (along with dozens of other points less important than the basic strategy)?

As for the spending limit, I made two references to it BEFORE you brought it up as though it had never been discussed.
you don't think its important to max out your starters talent? and if someone else brings it up, they should be shot down for it? please don't start this pointless bickering crap again.

and i never said you didn't bring it up before I said something, but you didn't bring it up before someone else did. You're always on people for twisting your words, so let's not do that.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline  
Old 03-27-2006, 05:30 PM   #53
Special Teams
 
Huddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 352
Re: rooting for Goliath

That Guy

Quote:
you don't think its important to max out your starters talent? and if someone else brings it up, they should be shot down for it? please don't start this pointless bickering crap again
.

I "shot you down" for asking me to point out something that I had already told you that I had intentionally omitted. Why can't you simply admit that you mis-read my post? It's not a sin.

Quote:
and i never said you didn't bring it up before I said something, but you didn't bring it up before someone else did. You're always on people for twisting your words, so let's not do that.
Actually, I DID bring up the spending limit before Schneed mentioned it. In fact, he put the sentence in bold type and quoted me on it. So, you were wrong in your first post on this nitpicky point and wrong again in the one I've quoted here.
Huddle is offline  
Old 03-27-2006, 06:05 PM   #54
Playmaker
 
gibbsisgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: 129 W 81st street
Age: 35
Posts: 3,503
Re: rooting for Goliath

Spend it danny!!!!
gibbsisgod is offline  
Old 03-27-2006, 06:16 PM   #55
Playmaker
 
gibbsisgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: 129 W 81st street
Age: 35
Posts: 3,503
Re: rooting for Goliath

Every fan in the NFL would want his or her owner to do what Danny is doing. this shit about rooting for goliath is . every fan does want his team to do whatever it takes to make the TEAM better. Danny does not get outbid for players we want . every fan wishes his owner would or could? do the same.if other owners dont spend the money to get the good players, it shows the fans that they will not do the very most to get the very best talent on their team.every team can do what we do its just that the other owners dont want to spend the cash.
gibbsisgod is offline  
Old 03-27-2006, 06:29 PM   #56
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: rooting for Goliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddle
That Guy

.

I "shot you down" for asking me to point out something that I had already told you that I had intentionally omitted. Why can't you simply admit that you mis-read my post? It's not a sin.



Actually, I DID bring up the spending limit before Schneed mentioned it. In fact, he put the sentence in bold type and quoted me on it. So, you were wrong in your first post on this nitpicky point and wrong again in the one I've quoted here.
first gtrip is the one that mentioned before you edited your post, so you may think thats nitpicking, but it alsso means you were wrong.

and nowhere is it articulated or mentioned that you intentionally omitted anything, nor was that point stated anywhere else. I'm glad no one is allowed to add anything onto anything you say without having you do this retarded shit on them. I most clearly did not mis read your post and you never said anything regarding that point and for some reason you're acting like i insulted your family.

get a life.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline  
Old 03-27-2006, 06:31 PM   #57
Playmaker
 
gibbsisgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: 129 W 81st street
Age: 35
Posts: 3,503
Re: rooting for Goliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
first gtrip is the one that mentioned before you edited your post, so you may think thats nitpicking, but it alsso means you were wrong.

and nowhere is it articulated or mentioned that you intentionally omitted anything, nor was that point stated anywhere else. I'm glad no one is allowed to add anything onto anything you say without having you do this retarded shit on them. I most clearly did not mis read your post and you never said anything regarding that point and for some reason you're acting like i insulted your family.

get a life.
gibbsisgod is offline  
Old 03-27-2006, 06:35 PM   #58
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: rooting for Goliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsisgod
yeah, well, i think its ****ing retarded too, but if he's going to start with that point by point bullshit and assume i'm insulting him or that I'm not allowed to post without his permission, he can kiss off.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline  
Old 03-27-2006, 06:38 PM   #59
Playmaker
 
gibbsisgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: 129 W 81st street
Age: 35
Posts: 3,503
Re: rooting for Goliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
yeah, well, i think its ****ing retarded too, but if he's going to start with that point by point bullshit and assume i'm insulting him or that I'm not allowed to post without his permission, he can kiss off.
true, very true
gibbsisgod is offline  
Old 03-27-2006, 06:52 PM   #60
Special Teams
 
Huddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 352
Re: rooting for Goliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsisgod
Every fan in the NFL would want his or her owner to do what Danny is doing. this shit about rooting for goliath is . every fan does want his team to do whatever it takes to make the TEAM better. Danny does not get outbid for players we want . every fan wishes his owner would or could? do the same.if other owners dont spend the money to get the good players, it shows the fans that they will not do the very most to get the very best talent on their team.every team can do what we do its just that the other owners dont want to spend the cash.
I think you're over-simplifying.

It's true that fans wants their owners to do their best to field a winner but I suspect you'd get varying opinions if they were asked whether they wanted their team to emulate the Redskins approach.

Right now New England and Pittsburgh would be the models they'd choose I think.
Huddle is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.36786 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25