Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


How Will Campbell Be Handled?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2006, 10:31 AM   #61
Special Teams
 
Huddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 352
Re: How Will Cambell Be Handled?

PSUSkinsFan21

Quote:
First of all, it's not irrelevant just because you say so.
Of course not. It's irrelevant because the Spurrier rotation had nothing to do with preparing a rookie QB for the NFL which is what the discussion on the table is about.

Quote:
Furthermore, I'd like for you to explain to me why the Browns QB platoon is relevant, but the Redskins QB platoon is not relevant.
The Brown's situation is relevant because the platooning was intended to prepare a young QB for the NFL...which is what we're discussing. Charlie Frye performed very well by most accounts.

Quote:
I mean I really hate to be the one to break this to you, but your points are no more valid than anyone else's on this site.
You're making this personal already?
Huddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-29-2006, 10:39 AM   #62
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,278
Re: How Will Cambell Be Handled?

Didn't we have a rookie QB in 2002 by the name of Patrick Ramsey??

Besides, Campbell is not a rookie so comparing him to Frye is irrelevant as you would say.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:40 AM   #63
The Starter
 
PSUSkinsFan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Age: 37
Posts: 1,340
Re: How Will Cambell Be Handled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
Didn't we have a rookie QB in 2002 by the name of Patrick Ramsey??
That's irrelevant because his last name didn't start with an "F".
__________________
"Hail to the Redskins!" and "Fight on State!"
PSUSkinsFan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:44 AM   #64
The Starter
 
PSUSkinsFan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Age: 37
Posts: 1,340
Re: How Will Cambell Be Handled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddle
PSUSkinsFan21



Of course not. It's irrelevant because the Spurrier rotation had nothing to do with preparing a rookie QB for the NFL which is what the discussion on the table is about.



The Brown's situation is relevant because the platooning was intended to prepare a young QB for the NFL...which is what we're discussing. Charlie Frye performed very well by most accounts.



You're making this personal already?
The Browns had the luxury of making their preparation of a young QB a primary goal because the Browns had nothing else to play for. The Skins have a playoff caliber team and a team that is potentially a Super Bowl contender. So the Browns are in a completely different situation than the Skins, so your Browns example is completely irrelevant. Unless you're suggesting we should strive for a sub-par season with zero chances of making the playoffs.

The Ramsey point has already been made by Matty.
__________________
"Hail to the Redskins!" and "Fight on State!"
PSUSkinsFan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:45 AM   #65
Special Teams
 
Huddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 352
Re: How Will Cambell Be Handled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
Huddle, when was the last successful QB platoon that resulted in a playoff and or Super Bowl appearance??
It wouldn't be a platooning situation for the entire season. Did you not understand that when I spoke of working Campbell in gradually?

Campbell and the Skins represent a unique situation. Not too many young QBs have been in a position to take over control of a good offense ala Rothlesburger.
Huddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:47 AM   #66
Impact Rookie
 
memphisskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Nashville, TN
Age: 42
Posts: 960
Re: How Will Cambell Be Handled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
How do you suggest they do this? By having a QB platoon?

This isn't college, as long as Brunell is playing and playing well, he will be the unquestioned starter. Campbell is going to have to get ready as he can by learning on the bench and soaking up as much as he can with mental reps. I just don't see him playing much this year especially if Brunell is playing well and the team is in the playoff hunt.

Two years of holding a clipboard makes sense if you have a capable veteran ahead of him and the team is geared up for a Super Bowl run.

Coming out of college Campbell was considered a bit of a project who could benefit by sitting for a year or two. I just don't understand why some people feel the need to rush him along, like if he's not playing this year he's already a bust.

Let's also remember that Gibbs is an old school coach who isn't afraid to let his QBs sit and learn.
I agree that the team is gearing up for a Super Bowl run, however doesn't Jason Campbell figure to be the qb who ultimately gets us there?

There are definitely different ways to develop a quarterback, and I agree that Ramsey's confidence was perhaps shattered playing behind the makeshift offensive protection that Spurrier gave him. But I don't know of anything that you can get better at doing just by watching. I don't know if Campbell should be made the unquestioned #1 right now, but he should definitely play more this season. He's going to have to learn on the job at some point, and there is no debating the argument that we could use some improved play at the quarterback position if we are going to challenge for a Super Bowl.
memphisskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:48 AM   #67
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,635
Re: How Will Cambell Be Handled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddle
It wouldn't be a platooning situation for the entire season. Did you not understand that when I spoke of working Campbell in gradually?
So how would you bring in Campbell? What do you mean by "gradually"
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:49 AM   #68
The Starter
 
PSUSkinsFan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Age: 37
Posts: 1,340
Re: How Will Cambell Be Handled?

And before you start playing the "I'm being attacked" card again, I will repost my entire paragraph so as not to be taken out of context by the selective quoting you so love to do:

"I mean I really hate to be the one to break this to you, but your points are no more valid than anyone else's on this site. We are all offering our OPINIONS. You can't prove the QB platoon will work or that it is a good idea for the Skins in the long run. And I can't prove that it's a bad thing (although I can point out that it's never worked in the NFL to any degree of appreciable success). So, what we are doing here is arguing, and offering support for our arguments. You think the Browns are a worthwhile example to support your stance, I think the Skins are a worthwhile example to support my stance. My example is no less relevant than yours just because it stands in opposition to your opinion. Are you starting to see how this whole thing works here?"

What's frustrating about your posts is your desire to discount others' arguments as "irrelevant" and give them no credence, while you go forward with the misconception that all of your points are "relevent". Relevancy is not a determination of what most convinces you one way or another. So please stop confusing "irrelevant" posts with posts that you simply are not convinced by.
__________________
"Hail to the Redskins!" and "Fight on State!"
PSUSkinsFan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:49 AM   #69
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,278
Re: How Will Cambell Be Handled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddle
It wouldn't be a platooning situation for the entire season. Did you not understand that when I spoke of working Campbell in gradually?

Campbell and the Skins represent a unique situation. Not too many young QBs have been in a position to take over control of a good offense ala Rothlesburger.
You did mention working him in gradually, but then I said

Quote:
How do you suggest they do this? By having a QB platoon?
And you responded with:

Quote:
Why not? The Frye/Dilfer platoon worked out well. When you have to pay the price for inexperience sooner or later, this is a way to minimize the disadvantage.
So from the sounds of that, you seemed to be in favor of a platoon. Did you not understand what you were saying?
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:49 AM   #70
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,506
Re: How Will Cambell Be Handled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
That's a pretty safe assumption IMO.
all of my assumptions are safe
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:54 AM   #71
Special Teams
 
Huddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 352
Re: How Will Cambell Be Handled?

Mattyk72

Quote:
Didn't we have a rookie QB in 2002 by the name of Patrick Ramsey??
Yes but the rotation we had was not designed to prepare Ramsey for the NFL. It was not platooning with a plan to make it easier for him to adjust.

Quote:
Besides, Campbell is not a rookie so comparing him to Frye is irrelevant as you would say.
That Frye didn't spend a year holding a clipboard strengthens my argument. Campbell should do even better.
Huddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:55 AM   #72
Impact Rookie
 
memphisskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Nashville, TN
Age: 42
Posts: 960
Re: How Will Cambell Be Handled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSkinsFan21
The Browns had the luxury of making their preparation of a young QB a primary goal because the Browns had nothing else to play for. The Skins have a playoff caliber team and a team that is potentially a Super Bowl contender. So the Browns are in a completely different situation than the Skins, so your Browns example is completely irrelevant. Unless you're suggesting we should strive for a sub-par season with zero chances of making the playoffs.

The Ramsey point has already been made by Matty.
Playing a rookie qb may mean a sub-par season, but there's too much evidence of young qbs succeeding to hold Campbell back just because "the stakes may be too high." The longer we hold Campbell back, the longer it will take for him to adjust to playing qb. I could see holding him back if the offensive line couldn't protect him, but our line is a team strength and our qb isn't going to have to carry our offense anyway.
memphisskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:56 AM   #73
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,278
Re: How Will Cambell Be Handled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddle
Mattyk72



Yes but the rotation we had was not designed to prepare Ramsey for the NFL. It was not platooning with a plan to make it easier for him to adjust.



That Frye didn't spend a year holding a clipboard strengthens my argument. Campbell should do even better.
Irrelevant
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:56 AM   #74
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,486
Re: How Will Cambell Be Handled?

Right, and if he doesn't get a lot of game experience, how will we ever know?
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:58 AM   #75
Special Teams
 
Huddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 352
Re: How Will Cambell Be Handled?

Mattyk72

Quote:
So from the sounds of that, you seemed to be in favor of a platoon. Did you not understand what you were saying?
You seem to be saying that platooning can't be done gradually. Is that it?
Huddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.35518 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25