Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Gas in the tank: Brunell (sponsored by big oil)

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: How much gas does Brunell have left in his tank?
Plenty, Super Bowl here we come 30 31.58%
He might have enough, but Campbell better be ready 57 60.00%
He's running on empty 8 8.42%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2006, 03:03 PM   #46
Impact Rookie
 
Bushead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 780
Re: Gas in the tank: Brunell (sponsored by big oil)

Guys! What more would you want form Mark Brunnell!? He was good in the clutch, made great long throws, crafty runs, managed games well, didn't make stupid mistakes often, and was overall a good player. Look at his stats last year and say to yourself "If I was told a Redskins quaterback would do this well this year, what would i think about this?"
Bushead is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-23-2006, 03:08 PM   #47
Camp Scrub
 
Drago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Severn MD.
Age: 59
Posts: 43
Re: Gas in the tank: Brunell (sponsored by big oil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrudLee
The wealth of weapons we have will afford Brunell more time than he had last year - no one is sending the house and leaving (Portis, Moss, Randle El, Lloyd) uncovered.

I want Campbell ready for more than just age-related issues, though. Injury strikes old and young players without mercy.
I totally agree ,last year defenses could send the house, if they do that this year they will get burned. the best part of the article was Al Saunders take on Brunell.
He can get the ball out of his hands extremely fast, Saunders said. Hes more accurate than I expected him to be ... .Hes adjusted to the offense quicker than I thought. Hes probably one of the guys Im most excited about.
You cant give him [anything] that he cant handle, Saunders said
__________________
You got Skins to the left, Skins to the right and your the only game in town
Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:57 PM   #48
The Starter
 
PWNED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ZOMGZZZ!!111
Age: 22
Posts: 1,153
Re: Gas in the tank: Brunell (sponsored by big oil)

hahahaha, probably.
__________________
143 lbs of twisted steel and sex appeal.
PWNED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:28 PM   #49
The Starter
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. MD
Age: 36
Posts: 1,319
Re: Gas in the tank: Brunell (sponsored by big oil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins4me58203
I have a question. Is every posting that Southpaw makes totally
ridiculous? This guy would get on his knees for Ramsey.
Nice first post. Please find a post that I have ever made that is any more ridiculous than "Every pass Mark Brunell threw last year was amazing!!1!1!".

And at least the majority of my posts include some actual thought and a reasonable basis in fact. If the rest of yours are anything like this one, I don't imagine you'll be in this community very long.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:36 PM   #50
The Starter
 
mheisig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Southeast
Age: 30
Posts: 2,119
Re: Gas in the tank: Brunell (sponsored by big oil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw
Nice first post. Please find a post that I have ever made that is any more ridiculous than "Every pass Mark Brunell threw last year was amazing!!1!1!".

And at least the majority of my posts include some actual thought and a reasonable basis in fact. If the rest of yours are anything like this one, I don't imagine you'll be in this community very long.
Wouldn't you say that's a bit of a stretch? BAH-Zing!

No, seriously, most of your posts are well thought out. You just don't hold the majority view that Ramsey sucked donkey balls, so you get harassed for it.

And rightfully so I might add. BAH-Zow!

I'm on fire!
__________________
Your post count, reputation score, popularity ranking, VIP tag or funny signature has no bearing on how I value you as an individual.
mheisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:45 PM   #51
The Starter
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. MD
Age: 36
Posts: 1,319
Re: Gas in the tank: Brunell (sponsored by big oil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheisig
Wouldn't you say that's a bit of a stretch? BAH-Zing!

No, seriously, most of your posts are well thought out. You just don't hold the majority view that Ramsey sucked donkey balls, so you get harassed for it.

And rightfully so I might add. BAH-Zow!

I'm on fire!
I don't mind going against the majority. I've never been much of a sheep... Bah-Zing!

Seriously though, I don't mind getting singled out since I don't hold the majority view on the Ramsey issue, but when someone makes an account just to slam me in a thread and send me retarded private messages, I get a little agitated. But like Mike Golic said, the internet is the beer courage of the 21st century.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:55 PM   #52
The Starter
 
mheisig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Southeast
Age: 30
Posts: 2,119
Re: Gas in the tank: Brunell (sponsored by big oil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw
I don't mind going against the majority. I've never been much of a sheep... Bah-Zing!

Seriously though, I don't mind getting singled out since I don't hold the majority view on the Ramsey issue, but when someone makes an account just to slam me in a thread and send me retarded private messages, I get a little agitated. But like Mike Golic said, the internet is the beer courage of the 21st century.
Well we're not ALL retards on this board. I mean there's the weird new guy, and TMC, but what can I say.

Everyone's a bully on "teh intarwebs."
__________________
Your post count, reputation score, popularity ranking, VIP tag or funny signature has no bearing on how I value you as an individual.
mheisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:09 PM   #53
The Starter
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. MD
Age: 36
Posts: 1,319
Re: Gas in the tank: Brunell (sponsored by big oil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheisig
Everyone's a bully on "teh intarwebs."
LOLZ!1!!1! I don't feel "bullied" in the least, but I agree.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:58 PM   #54
Franchise Player
 
ArtMonkDrillz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Age: 32
Posts: 8,004
Re: Gas in the tank: Brunell (sponsored by big oil)

Southpaw, I have no problem with you and your thoughts that Ramsey never really got a fair shake. I used to like him a lot; hell, I bought his jersey after his rookie year and I used to tell people that in a few years people would call him Brett Favre-like (mainly because of his toughness and arm). I thought he'd be great for Gibbs because of his strong arm, but I guess I forgot about the questionable throws that he's capable of when he's under pressure.
I think that people like Carr and Harrington have had longer to try to get better because their team owners didn't have the urge to win right away. Carr is at the helm of a new franchise with a terrible O-line, so the blame gets shifted away from him. And Harrington was on a team ran by Matt Millan, so again, the blame was typically shifted away from him. Now, Harrington voluntarily went to a team where he knows he'll probably just be a backup, and Carr is probably in his last season if he doesn't step up. So, really, they're not in that much of a different situation than Ramsey.
I just feel like, at this point, Ramsey's been so beat down and confused by all the changes and whatnot that he'll be nothing better than a good backup for some team for the rest of his career, and that kind of sucks.

PS - I've been drinking
__________________
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." The Dude
ArtMonkDrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:02 PM   #55
Special Teams
 
mike340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 58
Posts: 269
Re: Gas in the tank: Brunell (sponsored by big oil)

Last year, until the last 5 weeks, every game was close. Only 2 games in the first 11 were decided by more than a touchdown (SF, Giants#1). So Brunell had to stay in. At the end, we finally started putting teams away. This year I think we should be able to get a healthy lead in a number of games. Since Joe Gibbs probably sees what we do (i.e., Brunell has more chance to be hurt for the playoffs if he's left in more time) he (and Saunders) may start putting in Campbell (and Betts) to preserve Brunell and Portis, as well as seasoning Campbell. In his first few chances, I expect Campbell to pass little, but if he shows ability, they'll probably let him pass more. That way, if something does happen to Brunell, they have someone who can replace him (assuming Campbell or Collins appear good enough.)

As far as Brunell in 2004, I'd have to say that Coles was our best receiver after the catch...he sure could tackle those defensive backs!

I also think that Thrash may have been more injured than he let on last year (like Brunell in 2004), and he may once again be a good 3rd down receiver, since he always knows where the first-down line is.
mike340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 10:51 AM   #56
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,621
Re: Gas in the tank: Brunell (sponsored by big oil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw
Sorry, but I don't consider 50% completion percentage and 76.9 QB rating on third down's last year "phenomenal". By comparison, Drew Bledsoe and Michael Vick had better third down numbers than Mark Brunell last year.

And the exact comment I was calling a joke was the remark that "Every pass was amazing".
This biggest thing you're ignoring is the fact that we made the playoffs, and neither the two quarterbacks you mentioned did. So, considering the argument of stats vs. playoff appearances, I'd take playoff appearances anyday of the week.

It's a joke to assume any quarterback in the league is going to throw a pretty pass on every attempt.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 02:16 PM   #57
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Gas in the tank: Brunell (sponsored by big oil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowan
I think Brunell is tougher than you guys are giving him credit for. He knows this year is probably his best opportunity ever to get to a Super Bowl. He know Campbell is waiting in the wings, and my bet is that he plays his butt off this year.
When your biggest offseason worry is how a seasoned vet will perform at QB, it's time to buy those SB tickets.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 03:01 PM   #58
The Starter
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. MD
Age: 36
Posts: 1,319
Re: Gas in the tank: Brunell (sponsored by big oil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy
This biggest thing you're ignoring is the fact that we made the playoffs, and neither the two quarterbacks you mentioned did. So, considering the argument of stats vs. playoff appearances, I'd take playoff appearances anyday of the week.
I'm not ingnoring the fact that Brunell performed adequately enough for the Redskins to make the playoffs last season. What I'm disputing is everyone talking about him like he's a world beater. Yes, he kept the F-ups to a minimum, but when it was time to put up or shut up(ie. 3rd down), he got the job done only half of the time. I do think he'll be able to improve on 3rd downs this season, if he's able to remain upright, but that's a big if.

And if any part of this team deserves props for making the playoffs, it's the defense which was on fire for the late season run, and actually put points onto the board, while Brunell and the offense limped into the playoffs.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 07:19 PM   #59
Karma Chameleon
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 3,098
Re: Gas in the tank: Brunell (sponsored by big oil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy
This biggest thing you're ignoring is the fact that we made the playoffs, and neither the two quarterbacks you mentioned did. So, considering the argument of stats vs. playoff appearances, I'd take playoff appearances anyday of the week.

It's a joke to assume any quarterback in the league is going to throw a pretty pass on every attempt.
That is a good point. However, a lot of the people on this board were angry because Brunell didn't make the Pro Bowl and Vick did. A lot of people were arguing that Bledsoe or Brunell should have gone in ahead of Vick. So, Brunell was naturally being compared to those two. I can see why the comparison was made.

I, however, have made it clear that I think this team could be in trouble with Brunell at the helm. I think his time is really running out and I do think the offense is better, I just don't think he'll be considerably better than last season which may not be good enough to make the playoffs this year.
jdlea is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31399 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25