Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


postgame comments from Portis

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2006, 08:14 PM   #76
Playmaker
 
illdefined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: nyc
Age: 38
Posts: 2,631
Re: postgame comments from Portis

Portis said he was trying to hit him square, and he moved at the last minute and had to arm tackle. he's well aware of his shoulders, he showed a scar on the other one at the press conference. he doesnt have to prove anything to anybody, much less show off to an away crowd.

jeez, aside from running record yards, blowing up blitzers way bigger than him, throwing TDs and finding new costumes for the locker room and the fans, he also has to work on his TACKLING technique? what's next, field goals?
__________________
a fan. not a cheerleader.
illdefined is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-14-2006, 08:30 PM   #77
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,893
Re: postgame comments from Portis

Quote:
Originally Posted by illdefined View Post
Portis said he was trying to hit him square, and he moved at the last minute and had to arm tackle. he's well aware of his shoulders, he showed a scar on the other one at the press conference. he doesnt have to prove anything to anybody, much less show off to an away crowd.

jeez, aside from running record yards, blowing up blitzers way bigger than him, throwing TDs and finding new costumes for the locker room and the fans, he also has to work on his TACKLING technique? what's next, field goals?
The hang time on Portis' punts leave a lot to be desired
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:35 PM   #78
Playmaker
 
illdefined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: nyc
Age: 38
Posts: 2,631
Re: postgame comments from Portis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS View Post
The hang time on Portis' punts leave a lot to be desired
and he needs to work on the high horn note on "Hail To The Redskins" when he runs over to join the band..
__________________
a fan. not a cheerleader.
illdefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:04 PM   #79
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,893
Re: postgame comments from Portis

B. Lloyd gives his take on preseason in his latest journal entry:

Brandon Lloyd Training Camp Journal
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:09 PM   #80
Wildcard Bitches
 
RobH4413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 2,490
Re: postgame comments from Portis

does he volunteer to submit this journal entry, or was it some contract stipulation?
__________________
This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!
RobH4413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:12 PM   #81
Franchise Player
 
ArtMonkDrillz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Age: 32
Posts: 8,004
Re: postgame comments from Portis

I heard they asked him to stop after the second one but he just flat out refuses. The man loves to blog
__________________
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." The Dude
ArtMonkDrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:27 AM   #82
Special Teams
 
mike340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 58
Posts: 269
Re: postgame comments from Portis

CP made some ill-advised comments in the heat of the moment. He was obviously worried about his injury. While he made a spectacular tackle, he could have left me with the feeling I was watching football and not the WWF.

From what I've seen, playing in a game is "faster" than what happens in practice. So, to get used to it (again), It's better for the players to see a little bit of that early in the preseason than for them to see it for the first time the week before the regular season. So, given the choice, who would you prefer to have CP face in an early full-on scrimmage: the Cincinnati defense, or Sean Taylor?

That being said, on the whole, this is a time for experimentation with personnel. This is what the coaching staff did. It's only at the end of preseason where you see how your (whole) offense is gelling.

As far as what Joe Gibbs said, of course he took responsibility. He always does when something goes wrong. By taking the hit for the team, he gets tremendous loyalty from his players, and they are willing to sublimate their individual goals in order to achieve the team goals.
mike340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:04 AM   #83
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,703
Re: postgame comments from Portis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyJoeGibbs View Post
He wasnt injured running he went out of his way on his own and got hurt. Hes not paid to tackle in preseason is all Im saying.
I agree 100%. This was not week 14 when the team is trying to get into the playoffs, its preseason and it does not matter. He would not have been coming back into the game. This was a stuipd move on his part and then to blame everyone except himself is typical of today's pro athlete. Luckily he has a gracious coach that will take the heat because he knows if he does it will diffuse the situation.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:55 AM   #84
The Starter
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. MD
Age: 36
Posts: 1,319
Re: postgame comments from Portis

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
This was a stuipd move on his part and then to blame everyone except himself is typical of today's pro athlete. Luckily he has a gracious coach that will take the heat because he knows if he does it will diffuse the situation.
So some of you guys think he should just keep his mouth shut and run to he can get used to contact again, but he shouldn't react to a play the same way he would in a game situation? You're basically saying it was his fault for playing hard. That's a ridiculous statement, because you know if he had walked off the field after the turnover, he would have been slammed for that too.

And to say Portis is "typical of today's pro athlete" is absurd. He's basically the face of the team, and he does whatever is required of him with pride, whether it's running hard up the gut or stoning a blitzing linebacker. He's 100% hustle. Lumping him in with players like TO and Randy Moss is just stupid.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:24 AM   #85
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,703
Re: postgame comments from Portis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
So some of you guys think he should just keep his mouth shut and run to he can get used to contact again, but he shouldn't react to a play the same way he would in a game situation? You're basically saying it was his fault for playing hard. That's a ridiculous statement, because you know if he had walked off the field after the turnover, he would have been slammed for that too.

And to say Portis is "typical of today's pro athlete" is absurd. He's basically the face of the team, and he does whatever is required of him with pride, whether it's running hard up the gut or stoning a blitzing linebacker. He's 100% hustle. Lumping him in with players like TO and Randy Moss is just stupid.

I'm not ripping him for playing hard, I am saying he should be aware he is in a meaningless game and when not running the ball or blocking in pass protection, act accordingly.

All the same stuff I heard about LA for all the time he was here and now that he's gone most people on this site cant rip him enough.

FYI, Joe Gibbs is the face of this team.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:52 AM   #86
The Starter
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. MD
Age: 36
Posts: 1,319
Re: postgame comments from Portis

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
All the same stuff I heard about LA for all the time he was here and now that he's gone most people on this site cant rip him enough.
Yeah, that's a typical Warpath response to any good player that leaves to play somewhere else. They were never any good, and we're better off, blah blah... And there's no doubt in my mind that it will happen to Portis when he's used up. I just wasn't expecting this kind of response to a couple "heat of the moment" comments from the most talented player on the offense.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 01:06 PM   #87
Thank You, Sean.
 
Gmanc711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 7,505
Re: postgame comments from Portis

I think CP's comments are being taken as they were directed to the coaching staff, and while it sounded like they were, I think what he intended to do is gear them towards the NFL and them having preseason games to begin with. I'm not that upset with CP's comments, you can tell he's pissed about the situation and I dont blame him. He, like alot of NFL Vets want the NFL to just can preseason for the Vets and give the rookies two games or somthing. I'm not completley opposed to that either.

That being said, I think the injury to Chris Clemons is being slightly overlooked, he was very good in his role coming off the edge last year.
__________________
#21
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:58 PM   #88
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: postgame comments from Portis

Sometimes out of frustration we say things that we shouldn't say. I'm sure much of what Clinton had to say was out of frustration. However, there's an old saying "A drunk man speaks a sober man's mind." I will have to agree with the poster who stated he could have taken a little more precaution in protecting himself knowing he's playing in a meaningless game. I'm going to remember this thread for the future when or if adversity arises again while he's a Redskin whether it be injury or contract. I think in this instance more than anything else, it's the statement he made about playing in a game he shouldn't have been playing in anyway that rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. All the rest of his team-mates were playing in the same game, neither did we hear him make any statements about not wanting to play in the game beforehand. When Jon Jansen was hurt in pre-season and missed the year I dont recall his attitude being comprable to Portis's
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28898 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25