Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Why I feel there is reason for concern:

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2006, 01:49 AM   #31
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,245
Re: Why I feel there is reason for concern:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS View Post
--Mike Sellers--I had wondered if he was just a flash in the pan sensation last year. But he actually might be better now than he was when last season ended. He's been a pleasant surprise

He's been NFL-ready since he was about 19. personal circumstances then and again with the browns sent him to the CFL for two stints, but neither was for lack of talent. the guy has always been quality on the field.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-23-2006, 02:48 AM   #32
Special Teams
 
mike340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 57
Posts: 269
Re: Why I feel there is reason for concern:

Not too worried. I haven't seen any worried players yet, and I think they're a proud enough bunch to be pissed off if they weren't accomplishing what they were setting out to do. This tells me they're just trying stuff out and not worrying about ANYTHING. While I feel this is too lackadaisical (and I guess Gibbs does too), it's the only way I can reconcile their attitude to what's happening on the field.

And, surprisingly, (especially since nobody has mentioned it), Collins looked good except for when he had time to think. I felt he was under a lot of defensive pressure on many plays and was able to quickly and find the outlet receiver.
mike340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:05 AM   #33
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,210
Re: Why I feel there is reason for concern:

Quote:

Mattyk72's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY
Age: 33
Posts: 14,712
Send a message via AIM to Mattyk72

Re: Why I feel there is reason for concern:
Found this on another board,

Quote:
Per Chris Cooley on the Riggins show

said laughingly (paraphrase)

Panic? over PRESEASON?... no the team is not panicing about anything so far about preseason. We haven't been gameplanning, or showing anything...

talked about the offense is really moving along in Saunders offense, in practice, they are doing things dirfferent (Vanilla) in preseason games

just want to see how players can do, without showing anything we can do

because they "DON'T COUNT!!!!!!!"
You really think Cooley would say anything else even if the team was terrified that they couldn't do anything right. Nope, not on ESPN Radio that's the home of the Redskins. Not saying anything huge, but you can take players comments for a grain of salt. It's like expecting to get the news from a coach and it not being totally slanted.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:17 AM   #34
Camp Scrub
 
DrFaust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Your basement
Posts: 22
Re: Why I feel there is reason for concern:

Maybe this was mentioned already...

From 1994 to 2003, the Superbowl champions had a preseason winning percentage of .714 ... I hate to say it, but the preseason DOES matter (if you want to win the SB).

NFL.com - NFL News

Last edited by DrFaust; 08-23-2006 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Added link
DrFaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:23 AM   #35
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,409
Re: Why I feel there is reason for concern:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
You really think Cooley would say anything else even if the team was terrified that they couldn't do anything right. Nope, not on ESPN Radio that's the home of the Redskins. Not saying anything huge, but you can take players comments for a grain of salt. It's like expecting to get the news from a coach and it not being totally slanted.
Do you really think this team is terrified or hitting the panic button at Redskins Park right now??
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:37 AM   #36
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: Why I feel there is reason for concern:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFaust View Post
Maybe this was mentioned already...

From 1994 to 2003, the Superbowl champions had a preseason winning percentage of .714 ... I hate to say it, but the preseason DOES matter (if you want to win the SB).

NFL.com - NFL News
Go back and look at Gibbs's winning percentage in the preseason compared to his regular season winning percentage and tell me if you still think so.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:43 AM   #37
Camp Scrub
 
DrFaust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Your basement
Posts: 22
Re: Why I feel there is reason for concern:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
Go back and look at Gibbs's winning percentage in the preseason compared to his regular season winning percentage and tell me if you still think so.
It's not about winning in the regular season. Those stats are about winning the Superbowl.
DrFaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:46 AM   #38
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: Why I feel there is reason for concern:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFaust View Post
It's not about winning in the regular season. Those stats are about winning the Superbowl.
Yes, I know. Gibbs won 3 of them.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:59 AM   #39
Camp Scrub
 
DrFaust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Your basement
Posts: 22
Re: Why I feel there is reason for concern:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
Yes, I know. Gibbs won 3 of them.
What was Gibbs' preseason record for the three years he won the Superbowl?
DrFaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:00 AM   #40
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,463
Re: Why I feel there is reason for concern:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
You really think Cooley would say anything else even if the team was terrified that they couldn't do anything right. Nope, not on ESPN Radio that's the home of the Redskins. Not saying anything huge, but you can take players comments for a grain of salt. It's like expecting to get the news from a coach and it not being totally slanted.
I dunno. I'd expect Cooley to be a bit more candid though and at least say something like, "Sure, we're a little concerned, but come September 11th, ___________."

Of course it's slanted, but I would think if anyone would put at least a shred of truth in it, it would be him.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:00 AM   #41
Camp Scrub
 
DrFaust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Your basement
Posts: 22
Re: Why I feel there is reason for concern:

I thought this was interesting:

"People who think preseason football is meaningless don't know anything about football."
--Bill Parcells
DrFaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:11 AM   #42
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: Why I feel there is reason for concern:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFaust View Post
What was Gibbs' preseason record for the three years he won the Superbowl?
16-21 The nine seasons he went to the playoffs.
0-4 for the 82 Super Bowl season.
1-3 for the 91 Super Bowl season.
3-1 (1988) & 3-2 (2004) the two losing seasons he had.

I couldn't find stats for the 83 or 87 Super Bowl years.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:15 AM   #43
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: Why I feel there is reason for concern:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFaust View Post
I thought this was interesting:

"People who think preseason football is meaningless don't know anything about football."
--Bill Parcells
I don't think anyone here is saying that preseason football is meaningless. What's meaningless are the records and the knee-jerk reactions that it causes. From a superficial standpoint, going 0-4 during the preseason is cause for concern. If you delve deeper into the scenarios, situations, play calling, players utilized, etc etc etc etc etc etc, you start to realize that the only meaningful things gained from preseason football in most cases are the case by case player evlauations that are being made.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:18 AM   #44
Camp Scrub
 
DrFaust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Your basement
Posts: 22
Re: Why I feel there is reason for concern:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
16-21 The nine seasons he went to the playoffs.
0-4 for the 82 Super Bowl season.
1-3 for the 91 Super Bowl season.
3-1 (1988) & 3-2 (2004) the two losing seasons he had.

I couldn't find stats for the 83 or 87 Super Bowl years.
Thanks for the stats.

It would be nice to have those stats for 83 and 87. Without them, it is hard to say that Gibbs' preseason record doesn't matter. But if you just want to go to the playoffs, then we have nothing to worry about. If you want to win the Superbowl, then there might be reason for concern.
DrFaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:24 AM   #45
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,409
Re: Why I feel there is reason for concern:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
I don't think anyone here is saying that preseason football is meaningless. What's meaningless are the records and the knee-jerk reactions that it causes. From a superficial standpoint, going 0-4 during the preseason is cause for concern. If you delve deeper into the scenarios, situations, play calling, players utilized, etc etc etc etc etc etc, you start to realize that the only meaningful things gained from preseason football in most cases are the case by case player evlauations that are being made.
cpayne speaking the truth as always, preach on brother!
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31217 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25