Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Coaching Issue (I Hate to say it)

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
Camp Scrub
 
Butzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4
Coaching Issue (I Hate to say it)

First of all I spent the last few months proclaiming my faith in Gibbs and telling everyone that would listen that we don't need a pro bowl quarterback in Gibbs' system.

I think part of the problem is Gibbs built the roster around his system, then he gave Saunders all the play calls. It looks like Saunders is not on the same page as Gibbs. He seems to be calling plays for a different team.

A good example is that Randel EL and Lloyd were supposed take the pressure off of Moss. This only works if you have all three on the field.

If Saunders is going to keep calling the plays, we need a play maker as quarterback, and that is not Brunell. If Gibbs takes the play calling over we can still use Brunell. One or the other has to change.
Butzfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-20-2006, 11:26 AM   #2
Special Teams
 
DaveyFoSho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Potomac, MD
Age: 27
Posts: 304
Re: Coaching Issue (I Hate to say it)

i say...we concede the season and start fresh next year....
__________________
DaveyFoSho
DaveyFoSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:37 AM   #3
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Coaching Issue (I Hate to say it)

OK.

Bring back Spurrier!

Jeff George is sitting at home right now (the Raiders came to their senses)!

Call Ricky Ervins!

Where's Leslie Sheppard? Albert Connell? Skip Hicks!?!?!?
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:41 AM   #4
Impact Rookie
 
Stacks42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Arlington Va.
Age: 37
Posts: 667
Re: Coaching Issue (I Hate to say it)

Which one was it Leslie Sheppard or Albert Connell, that had the sticky fingers? One of them was caught stealing out of other players lockers, like nfl players dont make enought already.
__________________
The NEXT special teams coordinator
Stacks42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:46 AM   #5
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,485
Re: Coaching Issue (I Hate to say it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks42 View Post
Which one was it Leslie Sheppard or Albert Connell, that had the sticky fingers? One of them was caught stealing out of other players lockers, like nfl players dont make enought already.
Albert "the Playmaker" Connell
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:54 AM   #6
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Coaching Issue (I Hate to say it)

Yeah, Sheppard was the guy who was all legs, no hands. Fast but couldn't catch.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:57 AM   #7
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Coaching Issue (I Hate to say it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butzfan View Post
First of all I spent the last few months proclaiming my faith in Gibbs and telling everyone that would listen that we don't need a pro bowl quarterback in Gibbs' system.

I think part of the problem is Gibbs built the roster around his system, then he gave Saunders all the play calls. It looks like Saunders is not on the same page as Gibbs. He seems to be calling plays for a different team.

A good example is that Randel EL and Lloyd were supposed take the pressure off of Moss. This only works if you have all three on the field.

If Saunders is going to keep calling the plays, we need a play maker as quarterback, and that is not Brunell. If Gibbs takes the play calling over we can still use Brunell. One or the other has to change.
Did Saunders come in before El and Loyd or after? If it was before he had a say in those two picks.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:10 PM   #8
The Starter
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. MD
Age: 35
Posts: 1,314
Re: Coaching Issue (I Hate to say it)

I also think Saunders could be causing some friction within the coaching staff. My main problem with him is his view that "It's not my system, it's the players". That doesn't seem like the type of coaching attitude that a player would respect. God forbid you adapt to the talent you have at your disposal, you self righteous prick!
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:20 PM   #9
Franchise Player
 
ArtMonkDrillz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 7,971
Re: Coaching Issue (I Hate to say it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
I also think Saunders could be causing some friction within the coaching staff. My main problem with him is his view that "It's not my system, it's the players". That doesn't seem like the type of coaching attitude that a player would respect. God forbid you adapt to the talent you have at your disposal, you self righteous prick!
Did he actually say that?
__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
@Scott_Did_It is bored. Bother him.
ArtMonkDrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:34 PM   #10
The Starter
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. MD
Age: 35
Posts: 1,314
Re: Coaching Issue (I Hate to say it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
Did he actually say that?
When asked in preseason about the offensive struggles, he made the comment that his system is proven and the players just aren't executing. When asked about Brunell's struggles, he said the Kurt Warner won a Super Bowl in his first year in the system. Not that I mind him slamming Brunell, but that's still a dumbass comment to make to the media.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:37 PM   #11
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Coaching Issue (I Hate to say it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
When asked in preseason about the offensive struggles, he made the comment that his system is proven and the players just aren't executing.
Well, I think he's mostly right with that comment...not that he should've said it, but it IS tough to disagree with.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:42 PM   #12
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Coaching Issue (I Hate to say it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
When asked in preseason about the offensive struggles, he made the comment that his system is proven and the players just aren't executing. When asked about Brunell's struggles, he said the Kurt Warner won a Super Bowl in his first year in the system. Not that I mind him slamming Brunell, but that's still a dumbass comment to make to the media.
Do you have a link to these comments? I'm not saying that he did not say them but I would think that we would have heard about these comments in the form of a thread or something like that. Those are not comments you make as a coach about your players that gets swep under the rug. You hear about it from one of the thousands of media sources and it then gets blown up as they ask the players what they think about the comments.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:46 PM   #13
The Starter
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. MD
Age: 35
Posts: 1,314
Re: Coaching Issue (I Hate to say it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Do you have a link to these comments? I'm not saying that he did not say them but I would think that we would have heard about these comments in the form of a thread or something like that. Those are not comments you make as a coach about your players that gets swep under the rug. You hear about it from one of the thousands of media sources and it then gets blown up as they ask the players what they think about the comments.
I did not hear the comment about the players not executing first hand, but I heard it discussed on the John Riggins Show during the preseason. They didn't make a big deal about it, because they mostly agreed, and said the offense was still learning the huge playbook.

I actually heard the sound bite of the Kurt Warner comment early this week. I'll see if I can find it somewhere.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:49 PM   #14
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,515
Re: Coaching Issue (I Hate to say it)

Well, he's just pointing out the obvious. His system has a long and successful track record in this league. What did he say that was so bad?

I swear the players and coaches can't win. If they don't say anything they get blasted for not calling people out and covering things up, if they reveal a bit too much they get blasted for calling people out and not covering things up.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:50 PM   #15
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,506
Re: Coaching Issue (I Hate to say it)

It seems like a combination of coaching and player adaptibility that is wrong here. Saunders is sure of his stand-in-the-pocket/timing based offensive philosophy because he has enjoyed great success. Brunell has been a scrambling, play-making QB that enjoyed one of his best seasons last year. One or the other is going to have to adjust to the others style in order for this season to go any further.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30089 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25