Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2006, 12:08 PM   #31
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,456
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
[hesscl34 Filter] Washington is going to beat Jacksonville because Mark Brunell completed 22 straight passes last week. He is the best player to ever wear a Redskins uniform, and OMG!1!!, Mr. Gibbs is the king of the greatest coaches ever. My prediction: Washington wins 52-3. I know all this because I'm a good, and intelligent fan. Heil Gibbs!!!1! [/hesscl34 Filter]

Is that better?
Well now you're just taking it to the extreme. Or is that your true view of optimistic fans?
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-27-2006, 12:11 PM   #32
The Starter
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. MD
Age: 36
Posts: 1,319
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Well now you're just taking it to the extreme. Or is that your true view of optimistic fans?
That's my view of hess, but it's exaggerated. Just a little ribbing.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:12 PM   #33
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,456
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
When Washington is playing well and winning, I'm as fanatical as the next fan. When they're playing like ass, I don't have the ability to tell myself that they're going to beat a far superior team. To me, that's just seems like setting yourself up for heartbreak.
Well, they played well and won last week. Yeah I know it was the Texans but still, good teams pound on the bad teams, the Skins shouldn't have to apologize for beating who was next on the schedule.

Regarding this week, I don't see where there is a huge divide between the Redskins and the Jags.

I think it's going to be a close game, I don't see the Jags walking into FedEx and just having their way with the Skins.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:23 PM   #34
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I think it's going to be a close game, I don't see the Jags walking into FedEx and just having their way with the Skins.
Not without buying the Skins dinner first. I just hope we don't order the lobster.
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:23 PM   #35
Registered User
 
hesscl34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 2,782
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
[hesscl34 Filter] Washington is going to beat Jacksonville because Mark Brunell completed 22 straight passes last week. He is the best player to ever wear a Redskins uniform, and OMG!1!!, Mr. Gibbs is the king of the greatest coaches ever. My prediction: Washington wins 52-3. I know all this because I'm a good, and intelligent fan. Heil Gibbs!!!1! [/hesscl34 Filter]

Is that better?
Oohhhh, sounds like I pushed a button....

I don't make game day predictions. I just cheer on the Skins and hope for the best. I have NEVER made predictions. I'm just a faithful fan, period.
hesscl34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:25 PM   #36
Registered User
 
hesscl34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 2,782
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Seriously, why would you think the Jags would beat the Skins?!? I mean one of the best offenses in the league, led by the best passing quarterback in the league(Peyton Manning) just hung 14 points on that soft Jags defense this weekend. AND Washington held the offensively mediocre Cowboys to 27.

Jags over the Skins?! That's just ridiculous...
You need anger managment.
hesscl34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:48 PM   #37
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesscl34 View Post
Oohhhh, sounds like I pushed a button....
You're seriously surprised that calling someone a "so called fan" because they took a realistic view of our chances of winning "pushed a button"?

I dunno - I have to go with SouthPaw on this one, in terms of the benefits of looking at the game realistically (although I come to a different conclusion than he does). Personally, I think we have a good shot at winning if we bring a solid game plan and execute, but I can see how someone would conclude that the Jags are going to shut us down offensively.

There certainly are different types of fans, so I guess Matty said it well - the different types may never understand the others.

Last edited by onlydarksets; 09-27-2006 at 12:49 PM. Reason: clarification - typing thoughts is hard...
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:48 PM   #38
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,965
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
When Washington is playing well and winning, I'm as fanatical as the next fan. When they're playing like ass, I don't have the ability to tell myself that they're going to beat a far superior team. To me, that's just seems like setting yourself up for heartbreak.
I hear what you're saying. The problem is when someone says I'm as fanatical as the next fan when they win, yet I can't risk getting my heart broken by picking them to beat a better team then it's hard not to think "well how convenient for this bandwagoner"

Understand that I'm not saying you are jumping off and on a bandwagon, I'm just saying it can give that impression
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:50 PM   #39
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

Where's illdefined and his sig when you need him?
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:54 PM   #40
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,456
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

Being a fan and getting your heart broke, or sometimes ripped out, is part of the game. But nothing beats the ultimate payoff. And we've been waiting too long for it.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:58 PM   #41
Registered User
 
hesscl34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 2,782
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

[quote=onlydarksets;220673]You're seriously surprised that calling someone a "so called fan" because they took a realistic view of our chances of winning "pushed a button"?

You just gotta know Southpaw. He is always pessimistic, and more often that not he picks the Skins to lose... and he knows I rib him for it regularly!
hesscl34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:00 PM   #42
Playmaker
 
illdefined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: nyc
Age: 38
Posts: 2,631
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

aw man, even when we are playing lousy, i'm always hoping the next game is where everything magically gets fixed.

i'm one of the most critical cats on this board, but i can honestly say i've never missed a play hoping for that improbable comeback. i mean Dallas happened last year you know?

being a Skins fan is hard, because it always feels like we're so CLOSE. but you gotta be there when it does, finally, happen.
__________________
a fan. not a cheerleader.
illdefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:01 PM   #43
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Being a fan and getting your heart broke, or sometimes ripped out, is part of the game.
Why would you say that realizing your team is overmatched and is more likely to lose than to win means that it doesn't hurt when they do lose? That doesn't make any sense.

Maybe we're talking about two different things - faith versus expected outcomes. My faith in the Skins (as an organization) is unwavering - I want the Skins to win every game and to do everything they need to in order to win every game. However, I don't always expect that they will win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
But nothing beats the ultimate payoff. And we've been waiting too long for it.
Amen to that!
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:04 PM   #44
Registered User
 
hesscl34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 2,782
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
Why would you say that realizing your team is overmatched and is more likely to lose than to win means that it doesn't hurt when they do lose? That doesn't make any sense.

Maybe we're talking about two different things - faith versus expected outcomes. My faith in the Skins (as an organization) is unwavering - I want the Skins to win every game and to do everything they need to in order to win every game. However, I don't always expect that they will win.
We all have doubts, we just don't voice them. We need postive vibes on game day!!!
hesscl34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:08 PM   #45
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesscl34 View Post
We all have doubts, we just don't voice them. We need postive vibes on game day!!!
lol - I'm not sure I can respond to that with anything other than

Go Skins!
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.49134 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25