Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2006, 11:12 AM   #31
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,416
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
When Washington is playing well and winning, I'm as fanatical as the next fan. When they're playing like ass, I don't have the ability to tell myself that they're going to beat a far superior team. To me, that's just seems like setting yourself up for heartbreak.
Well, they played well and won last week. Yeah I know it was the Texans but still, good teams pound on the bad teams, the Skins shouldn't have to apologize for beating who was next on the schedule.

Regarding this week, I don't see where there is a huge divide between the Redskins and the Jags.

I think it's going to be a close game, I don't see the Jags walking into FedEx and just having their way with the Skins.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-27-2006, 11:23 AM   #32
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I think it's going to be a close game, I don't see the Jags walking into FedEx and just having their way with the Skins.
Not without buying the Skins dinner first. I just hope we don't order the lobster.
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:48 AM   #33
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesscl34 View Post
Oohhhh, sounds like I pushed a button....
You're seriously surprised that calling someone a "so called fan" because they took a realistic view of our chances of winning "pushed a button"?

I dunno - I have to go with SouthPaw on this one, in terms of the benefits of looking at the game realistically (although I come to a different conclusion than he does). Personally, I think we have a good shot at winning if we bring a solid game plan and execute, but I can see how someone would conclude that the Jags are going to shut us down offensively.

There certainly are different types of fans, so I guess Matty said it well - the different types may never understand the others.

Last edited by onlydarksets; 09-27-2006 at 11:49 AM. Reason: clarification - typing thoughts is hard...
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:48 AM   #34
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,584
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
When Washington is playing well and winning, I'm as fanatical as the next fan. When they're playing like ass, I don't have the ability to tell myself that they're going to beat a far superior team. To me, that's just seems like setting yourself up for heartbreak.
I hear what you're saying. The problem is when someone says I'm as fanatical as the next fan when they win, yet I can't risk getting my heart broken by picking them to beat a better team then it's hard not to think "well how convenient for this bandwagoner"

Understand that I'm not saying you are jumping off and on a bandwagon, I'm just saying it can give that impression
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:50 AM   #35
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

Where's illdefined and his sig when you need him?
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:54 AM   #36
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,416
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

Being a fan and getting your heart broke, or sometimes ripped out, is part of the game. But nothing beats the ultimate payoff. And we've been waiting too long for it.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:00 PM   #37
Playmaker
 
illdefined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: nyc
Age: 38
Posts: 2,631
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

aw man, even when we are playing lousy, i'm always hoping the next game is where everything magically gets fixed.

i'm one of the most critical cats on this board, but i can honestly say i've never missed a play hoping for that improbable comeback. i mean Dallas happened last year you know?

being a Skins fan is hard, because it always feels like we're so CLOSE. but you gotta be there when it does, finally, happen.
__________________
a fan. not a cheerleader.
illdefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:01 PM   #38
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Being a fan and getting your heart broke, or sometimes ripped out, is part of the game.
Why would you say that realizing your team is overmatched and is more likely to lose than to win means that it doesn't hurt when they do lose? That doesn't make any sense.

Maybe we're talking about two different things - faith versus expected outcomes. My faith in the Skins (as an organization) is unwavering - I want the Skins to win every game and to do everything they need to in order to win every game. However, I don't always expect that they will win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
But nothing beats the ultimate payoff. And we've been waiting too long for it.
Amen to that!
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:08 PM   #39
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesscl34 View Post
We all have doubts, we just don't voice them. We need postive vibes on game day!!!
lol - I'm not sure I can respond to that with anything other than

Go Skins!
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:20 PM   #40
The Starter
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. MD
Age: 35
Posts: 1,311
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS View Post
I hear what you're saying. The problem is when someone says I'm as fanatical as the next fan when they win, yet I can't risk getting my heart broken by picking them to beat a better team then it's hard not to think "well how convenient for this bandwagoner"

Understand that I'm not saying you are jumping off and on a bandwagon, I'm just saying it can give that impression
For the record. I am NOT anything close to a bandwagon fan. I was positive they could beat the Seahawks last year in the playoffs, and I was crushed when they lost. Just like I was sure they were going to beat the Vikings in the opener, and I was just as crushed when they lost that game. I'm loyal to the point that it confuses me when other fans are like "the NFC East is back!!!". Why would any Redskins fan be happy about that? I hate the rest of the NFC East, and I wish they all played like the Texans.

Anyway, It's not at all that I'm scared to pick Washington, for fear of being heartbroken. I just try to look at the game realistically, and realistically, they're overmatched. It'll take near perfect execution and a good amount of luck for Washington to beat Jacksonville. I don't think having that frame of mind makes me a bandwagoner.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:23 PM   #41
The Starter
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. MD
Age: 35
Posts: 1,311
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesscl34 View Post
You just gotta know Southpaw. He is always pessimistic, and more often that not he picks the Skins to lose... and he knows I rib him for it regularly!
I play a few football pools, and I'm actually 2-1 in picking Skins games. The only time I was wrong was when I picked them to beat the Vikings...
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:28 PM   #42
Playmaker
 
illdefined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: nyc
Age: 38
Posts: 2,631
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesscl34 View Post
UM, AND when you picked them to lost to the Texans 17-10!!!

ouch is that true?
__________________
a fan. not a cheerleader.
illdefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:29 PM   #43
The Starter
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. MD
Age: 35
Posts: 1,311
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesscl34 View Post
UM, AND when you picked them to lost to the Texans 17-10!!!

I picked them to beat the Texans, 17-10. I was wrong about the score, but I was right about the victory. I admit they played better, than I expected in that game.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:50 PM   #44
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

For the record, I predicted a sqeaker of a win against the Vikings, a loss to the Cowboys, and another squeaker of a win in Houston.

My best week so far in picking the games straight up was Week 2 ... I was 11-4. I sucked with my picks in Weeks 1 and 3.

Yeah, I'm pessimistic this week. I look at what the Jags did to Pittsburgh's "Fast" Willie Parker and that vaunted Steeler O-line -- held them to 26 yards rushing. Then, take a look at what they did to Peyton Manning and the Colts in Indy: 48 yards rushing, and limited Manning's production to a very un-Peyton like 14 for 31 and 219 yards passing.

Now tell me, what in anyone's right mind could convince me that our offense -- which struggled against the Vikings, was stopped cold in Dallas, with all the penalties they've racked up -- can run the ball, and pass it effectively against Stroud, Henderson and the other guys that make up one of the top defenses in the league?

I've seen nothing to make me believe otherwise. The only thing I can hope for is for the Jags to have an "off" day.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:56 PM   #45
Playmaker
 
illdefined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: nyc
Age: 38
Posts: 2,631
Re: Reason for (Cautious) Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
I've seen nothing to make me believe otherwise. The only thing I can hope for is for the Jags to have a "off" day.
thats why the NFL is great. any given sunday. the belief that any team on an "on" day is better than any team on an "off" day.

while you're right Jax looks super tough, i would honestly just be happy to see this team play to their potential even if its during a squeaker loss.
__________________
a fan. not a cheerleader.
illdefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31446 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25