Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Adam Archuleta

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2006, 10:23 PM   #16
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,792
Re: Adam Archuleta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim21Reaper View Post
Smoot knocked the crap out of our guys when he played and he can catch the ball. Rogers has had two huge drops and he has only been with us for 21 games.

Marshall is great but Pierce is better.

Archuletta has been garbage in the pre-season and regular season. He is the highest paid safety in the league. He needs to step it up.
If Williams loved Smoot so much don't you think we would have tried harder to keep him?

Look at the corners Williams likes. Big, physical guys that hit and cover. Sorry but Smoot doesn't fit that description.

Marshall is a TON cheaper than what Pierce would have cost us, therefore letting him go was the wiser move.

AA does need to step up, but people calling for him to be traded or benched is insane. He's still settling into this system, give the man a break.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-26-2006, 10:28 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Pocket$ $traight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 4,261
Re: Adam Archuleta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
If Williams loved Smoot so much don't you think we would have tried harder to keep him?

Look at the corners Williams likes. Big, physical guys that hit and cover. Sorry but Smoot doesn't fit that description.

Marshall is a TON cheaper than what Pierce would have cost us, therefore letting him go was the wiser move.

AA does need to step up, but people calling for him to be traded or benched is insane. He's still settling into this system, give the man a break.
My original point was that the defense would have been better last year and this year with those guys. The defense with Pierce was 3rd in the NFL. They were top 10 last year and a disappointment this year. I would rather have the 2004 version. If you don't agree, argue with the numbers.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:33 PM   #18
Impact Rookie
 
CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: va
Age: 47
Posts: 890
Re: Adam Archuleta

should have kept clark better player and would have been alot cheaper. but ol'danny had to sign someone else instead of keeping someone you already had producing for the skins. and carter was another waste of money,hey at least we have all of our picks in the draft next year to look for a pass rusher. what your kidding me we dont have a second third or fourth next year wow that surprising.
CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:41 PM   #19
Special Teams
 
JankySpanky80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 267
Re: Adam Archuleta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR View Post
should have kept clark better player and would have been alot cheaper. but ol'danny had to sign someone else instead of keeping someone you already had producing for the skins. and carter was another waste of money,hey at least we have all of our picks in the draft next year to look for a pass rusher. what your kidding me we dont have a second third or fourth next year wow that surprising.
I agree with you but Danny opened the wallet b/c Gibbs and crew told him too, so they are just as much at fault as Snyder
__________________
JANK-e SPANK-e
JankySpanky80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:43 PM   #20
Impact Rookie
 
CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: va
Age: 47
Posts: 890
Re: Adam Archuleta

that true maybe danny should get a real gm to keep him from making mistakes. danny been doing this since 2000 except when marty was here. Marty keep him in line on signing all kinds of big fa.
CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:52 PM   #21
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,524
Re: Adam Archuleta

Well heck...since Gibbs' return, everybody had been yelling new O.C......draft a QB...etc....I wouldn't doubt if Snyder didn't try to get Casserly back into the fold. Of course he's worked wonders for the Texans (smirk.)
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:59 PM   #22
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,792
Re: Adam Archuleta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim21Reaper View Post
My original point was that the defense would have been better last year and this year with those guys. The defense with Pierce was 3rd in the NFL. They were top 10 last year and a disappointment this year. I would rather have the 2004 version. If you don't agree, argue with the numbers.
That's all speculative on your part, nobody can say for sure what would have happened had we kept them.

I still don't understand the logic of wanting to keep Pierce at a much higher price tag for a job that was done almost as equally well by Marshall at a much lower figure.

As for Smoot, Rogers became his replacement and is a better fit. He's still young, but his upside is much larger.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:23 PM   #23
Registered User
 
Pocket$ $traight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 4,261
Re: Adam Archuleta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
That's all speculative on your part, nobody can say for sure what would have happened had we kept them.

I still don't understand the logic of wanting to keep Pierce at a much higher price tag for a job that was done almost as equally well by Marshall at a much lower figure.

As for Smoot, Rogers became his replacement and is a better fit. He's still young, but his upside is much larger.
If upside is getting torched on a weekly basis than he has plenty of it. You would think that opposing teams would go after Wright or Rumph. Instead they victimize our new #1 corner. I have seen some great coverage and nice hits by Rogers but until he shows that he can catch the ball he is going to continue to get abused.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:40 PM   #24
The Starter
 
jamf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego Ca
Posts: 2,331
Re: Adam Archuleta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim21Reaper View Post
Don't worry. Wait until Taylor holds out during the offseason. Making Archuleta the highest paid safety is arguably the worst roster move that I have ever seen from them. Let's think about this. You have guys like Antonio Pierce, Smoot and Clark. These guys were developed, very effective in your system, and wanted to stay. So what does the team do? They lowball every one of them.

You cannot tell me that the defense wouldn't have been better last year and this year with these guys. (And don't get me started on what could have been if we had drafted Merriman instead of Rogers)
I agree. Another downside is that we have to draft replacements. Why let smoot go is we are going to draft another corner #1? We could've used the pick at another position. I like rogers and I think he could be better than smoot but I would rather use the pick depth somewhere else. Why Draft McIntosh? If we kept pierce, Marshall would be our weakside LB. We couldve used the McIntosh PICKS(we gave away more picks to move up...) for reserve Linemen and DB's

Archuleta Needs to grasp the defence a little better. I still have hope for him but he reminds me alot of Stanley Richards

The one thing I dont agree with you on is drafting merriman over rogers. If we didnt have rogers we would have Rumph and Wright starting right now...
Merriman is a system linebacker who is only good at Filling a gap. He would never get on the field as a redskin. He is doing in San Diego what Lavar did for us when Schotty was coaching the skins. Put him on another team, He is just a solid big ass linebacker kinda like Kirkland of the steeler( 90's). You will never see his slow ass in coverage.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:40 PM   #25
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,792
Re: Adam Archuleta

By upside I mean future.

Rogers is in his 2nd year and clearly not ready to be a #1 corner yet which he's been forced into, what do you really expect?? Jeez can we just give the kid some time?
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:49 PM   #26
Wildcard Bitches
 
RobH4413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 2,488
Re: Adam Archuleta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim21Reaper
If upside is getting torched on a weekly basis than he has plenty of it. You would think that opposing teams would go after Wright or Rumph. Instead they victimize our new #1 corner. I have seen some great coverage and nice hits by Rogers but until he shows that he can catch the ball he is going to continue to get abused.
The reason they're throwing at Rogers is because

1) HE is not a number 1 corner...
2) He's guarding their best receiver.

It makes total sense why they aren't throwing to their lesser receivers, because they can throw to their best one... duh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim21Reaper
My original point was that the defense would have been better last year and this year with those guys. The defense with Pierce was 3rd in the NFL. They were top 10 last year and a disappointment this year. I would rather have the 2004 version. If you don't agree, argue with the numbers.
Actually I'll follow your advice and argue with the numbers. Those numbers don't mean anything. The league changes every year... teams get better... teams get worse. I'm positive a team has been ranked high, improved, and the following year was ranked lower. The line of reasoning is flawed. Those numbers should be used as a guideline, and not a rule. Especially when your talking about 5 or 6 places.
__________________
This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!
RobH4413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:10 AM   #27
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,951
Re: Adam Archuleta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim21Reaper View Post
My original point was that the defense would have been better last year and this year with those guys. The defense with Pierce was 3rd in the NFL. They were top 10 last year and a disappointment this year. I would rather have the 2004 version. If you don't agree, argue with the numbers.
And our offense would have no weapons. We were able to sign some FAs because they replaced Pierce with a lower cost alternative with similar production. They were able to replace Smoot with a lower cost alternativeand more upside.

You can't have everything. If we pay Pierce and Smoot then we have no ARE or BL. Maybe one of them. Maybe. On top of that we probably are enduring another year os LA's drama since letting him go would have been more difficult.

The made decisions to not pay a #2 corner #1 money and thought they had a good replacement for Pierce for 1/4 the cost. Now Marshall can't be quibbled with. He has been fine. Letting Smoot go has been difficult but lets be honest...he didn't totally fit the system and he would have cost an arm and a leg.

The Clark/AA move seems off to me since it doesn't follow the value/production model they usually use. They must obviously think AA is a big upgrade or they wouldn't have let Clark go. I am willing to trust them a few more games on AA. I think 3 games is nowhere near enough to judge.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:13 AM   #28
Playmaker
 
illdefined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: nyc
Age: 38
Posts: 2,631
Re: Adam Archuleta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
By upside I mean future.

Rogers is in his 2nd year and clearly not ready to be a #1 corner yet which he's been forced into, what do you really expect?? Jeez can we just give the kid some time?

not to be too contrary but the future is exactly what us "post-Brunell"ers are thinking of when we talk about the upside of Jason Campbell.

back to the subject, the Pierce/Marshall/$ debate could be applied to Ryan Clark and Farce-uleta in reverse. will Arch be $30 mill worth of improvement?

also, what round was Rogers drafted? was something closer to Champ Bailey reasonable to expect?
__________________
a fan. not a cheerleader.
illdefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:17 AM   #29
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,951
Re: Adam Archuleta

Quote:
Originally Posted by illdefined View Post
not to be too contrary but the future is exactly what us "post-Brunell"ers are thinking of when we talk about the upside of Jason Campbell.

back to the subject, the Pierce/Marshall/$ debate could be applied to Ryan Clark and Farce-uleta in reverse. will Arch be $30 mill worth of improvement?

also, what round was Rogers drafted? was something closer to Champ Bailey reasonable to expect?
Champ Bailey is the best cover cornr in football so something close to him is probably in the top 3 or 4. Sorry but a quality corner is the best you can hope for really. He hasn't shown anything to lead us to believe he won't be a #1 at some point. He has struggled somewhat but he hasn't gotten torn apart. A few bad plays really. If he was constantly getting ripped apart I would be nervous. He justs seems inexperienced to me.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:20 AM   #30
Playmaker
 
illdefined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: nyc
Age: 38
Posts: 2,631
Re: Adam Archuleta

did Champ need "breaking in" time? didn't he start at no. 1 corner rather quickly? honestly don't remember.
__________________
a fan. not a cheerleader.
illdefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33489 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25