Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Starting Campbell Now Makes Cap Sense

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2006, 02:50 AM   #16
Thank You, Sean.
 
Gmanc711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Age: 28
Posts: 7,499
Re: Starting Campbell Now Makes Cap Sense

Its a good point about the muinty of Fed Ex.... I wonder how much the crowd impacts decision making.. I know everyone will be quick to say "not at all"...but if you really think about it, just looking at the Brunell/Ramsey 04' debacle...I'd think that they impact it somewhat, seriously.
__________________
#21
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-16-2006, 10:46 AM   #17
Propane and propane accessories
 
JWsleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Age: 45
Posts: 4,587
Re: Starting Campbell Now Makes Cap Sense

Good post, Schneed. And I agree--if Campbell is really NFL QB material, he should be able to play. He looked like he has the tools in preseason. Maybe he WONT be worse than MB.
__________________
Hail from Houston!
JWsleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:01 AM   #18
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,479
Re: Starting Campbell Now Makes Cap Sense

Regardless of how Brunell plays, he'll never be good enough to lead this team to the Super Bowl, so I can let's cut our losses now. I mean, we go out, get the receiving talent, and he still can't hit the open man. He's done.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:08 AM   #19
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Starting Campbell Now Makes Cap Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
This is a Campbell vs Brunell discussion, like so many others already on this board. But I wanted to take a salary cap angle at this situation, which I felt may be deserving of it's own thread.

With the team 2-4 and needing to go 8-2 from here on in order to make the playoffs, it doesn't make sense to let Mark Brunell continue to run the team.

Brunell will count $6.6 million against the cap if he's on the roster in 2007. If we cut him before June 1, he'll have a dead cap hit of 4.3 million in 2007, representing a savings of $2.3 million. If we cut him after June 1, he'll count only $1.5 million (approx) in 2007, a savings of about $5 million compared to the $6.6 million he'd count if on the roster.

Given the opportunity to gain cap space next season, and given his inability to lead the offense to victories, the Redskins would be wise to turn to Jason Campbell and allow him to learn the offense in the 10 remaining games this season. He'd hopefully be more prepared to run a more cohesive unit next year that can consistently threaten the deep and center seam portions of the field.

Brunell's career as a Redskin should end now. I'm officially off the Brunell bandwagon. Give me JC. And use Brunell's cap space for a CB who can cover worth a darn.
You make a good point here. I think that barring a deep playoff run, we should hand the reins to Campbell next year, and Brunell should either restructure or be let go. The one part I don't agree with is saying that because of this, Campbell should play now. Whats wrong with giving him an extra training camp with a team that is going to win some games down the stretch. Once we are mathematically eliminated, might as well make the change, but until then go with what brought the high expectations in the first place.

2-4 isn't the end of the world. It's 2-4. The division leader is 4-2. We play them twice. Rather than give up, let's see if we can turn this thing around. Our best football is still ahead of us.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:10 AM   #20
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,479
Re: Starting Campbell Now Makes Cap Sense

But the question now is, can Brunell make the plays to get us out of this hole? I think Campbell might make more bad decisions that Brunell, but I bet he'll make more PLAYS than Brunell too.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:12 AM   #21
The Starter
 
#56fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Age: 40
Posts: 1,788
Re: Starting Campbell Now Makes Cap Sense

if they make the change to Campbell at somepoint this year, they have to let Brunell go! you saw what happened with Ramsey. the moment Joe had a reason to put him in, he stuck with him. Watching that chicago game last year Ramsey looked sharp (aside from the one pick) He was delivering the ball nicely. If we keep Brunell, Gibbs will be searching for reasons to put him in. CUT THE OLD GUY!! We go and sign a vet back up or keep Collins. Brunell is not going to be doing anything but hurting the develpment of our supposed future. I have a hard time thinking that if we start out 2-5, that brunell will stay the starter. Like I said in another thread, QB is the only position change that could light a spark in the team.

Did anyone watch the locker room video on Redskins.com? Lloyd said a couple things 1) we aren't worried about the Redskin fans right now, we are worried about ourselves?? not a good thing to say at this point. 2) someone asked a question about playcalling and he said ask the coaches. we do what ever we are told to do. I think he too is questioning some of the play calls coming frm Mr Saunders.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:12 AM   #22
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 4,465
Re: Starting Campbell Now Makes Cap Sense

if any changes will be made, it'll most likely be after the Indy game, during the bye week. That would give Campbell or Collins (Lord help us) 2 solid weeks of practice to get ready.

No matter if Brunell is the man or not, something has to be done to reenergize the offense. They aren't pressing downfield, and that hurts the run attack. If defenses know that Brunell won't go deep, they can push up.

Although, our woes can't be squarely put on the shoulders of Brunell. There is no way in hell that Travis Henry should have had the type of day he had.
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:15 AM   #23
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 3,087
Re: Starting Campbell Now Makes Cap Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Regardless of how Brunell plays, he'll never be good enough to lead this team to the Super Bowl, so I can let's cut our losses now. I mean, we go out, get the receiving talent, and he still can't hit the open man. He's done.
That's the point! Under Brunell they're not going to win a Super Bowl. A lot of us have been saying that since he got here, but that's beside the point. Super Bowl teams don't start out 2 - 4 with losses to no win teams. The Redskins are not a great team. I don't even think they're a particularly good team. I don't care if the loss was Brunell's fault. He won't lead us anywhere with the team that's around him. I don't think putting in Campbell is going to turn the season around. The season is pretty much over. Why not play Campbell? Why keep him sitting on the bench? Eating up cap room with whatever cap number he has. He's supposed to be the future of the team, well it's time for them to find out.

If everyone wants to wait for 2 more losses then I guess I could deal with that. But they're gonna lose to Indy and they'll be lucky to beat Dallas, then what? I say the latest Jason should start is against Dallas. He'd have the bye week to prepare and then be fine.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:18 AM   #24
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Starting Campbell Now Makes Cap Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
But the question now is, can Brunell make the plays to get us out of this hole? I think Campbell might make more bad decisions that Brunell, but I bet he'll make more PLAYS than Brunell too.
Of course he's capable. I really don't think he's a problem. I guess it depends on the indiviuduals defination of problem, but I'll take a guy who is completing 60% on the year for 6+ yards an attempt and 3 INTs in 6 games any day of the week to be my QB. I watched him(Brunell) consistently keep drives alive in the first half yesterday. I remember Santana dropping a first down catch on 3rd and medium in the 2nd half, so I guess he's a problem too...

The Redskins offense isn't great just yet, but its really not that far from it. I think the solution is time, not a QB change.

It's an absolute crime that the defense can play this horribly and the only thing we can talk about is a QB change.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:24 AM   #25
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Starting Campbell Now Makes Cap Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
That's the point! Under Brunell they're not going to win a Super Bowl. A lot of us have been saying that since he got here, but that's beside the point. Super Bowl teams don't start out 2 - 4 with losses to no win teams. The Redskins are not a great team. I don't even think they're a particularly good team. I don't care if the loss was Brunell's fault. He won't lead us anywhere with the team that's around him. I don't think putting in Campbell is going to turn the season around. The season is pretty much over. Why not play Campbell? Why keep him sitting on the bench? Eating up cap room with whatever cap number he has. He's supposed to be the future of the team, well it's time for them to find out.

If everyone wants to wait for 2 more losses then I guess I could deal with that. But they're gonna lose to Indy and they'll be lucky to beat Dallas, then what? I say the latest Jason should start is against Dallas. He'd have the bye week to prepare and then be fine.
Well, the key to the rest of the season lies beyond the bye week. Looking at the schedule, the toughest post-bye game is @ Phili, and every other game is winnable. If they play like the team they were supposed to be preseason, why not?

The Colts game means almost nothing. Think about it. If you lose the game, and ended up winning out (all but the road Phili game), you would likely hold the tiebreaker at 10-6. If you won the game, you still have the same conference record, meaning that you would likely not have the tiebreaker (If the Eagles or Cowboys or whoever also went 11-5). Either way, the only way they get back in this thing is to get hot AFTER the bye. Savior is a bad role to put Jason Campbell in. The defense has to step up or its not happening.

EDIT-That doesnt matter statement is only from a divisional perspective. From a Wild Card perspective, we need all the wins we can get.

Last edited by GTripp0012; 10-16-2006 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Clarification
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:27 AM   #26
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 3,087
Re: Starting Campbell Now Makes Cap Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Of course he's capable. I really don't think he's a problem. I guess it depends on the indiviuduals defination of problem, but I'll take a guy who is completing 60% on the year for 6+ yards an attempt and 3 INTs in 6 games any day of the week to be my QB. I watched him(Brunell) consistently keep drives alive in the first half yesterday. I remember Santana dropping a first down catch on 3rd and medium in the 2nd half, so I guess he's a problem too...

The Redskins offense isn't great just yet, but its really not that far from it. I think the solution is time, not a QB change.

It's an absolute crime that the defense can play this horribly and the only thing we can talk about is a QB change.
What makes you think he's capable? His great success in Super Bowls past? He doesn't make plays. Period. He threw one ball deep yesterday. There was a pick dropped by a linebacker yesterday and I sent a text to my brother saying "wtf did he read?" You try to act like all this talk is ridiculous...based on what? I've acknowledged 1 million times that the defense is bad, but guess what? They're gonna be bad all year. You can't replace all of them. Brunell is playing poorly, you can replace 1 guy.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:31 AM   #27
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 3,087
Re: Starting Campbell Now Makes Cap Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Well, the key to the rest of the season lies beyond the bye week. Looking at the schedule, the toughest post-bye game is @ Phili, and every other game is winnable. If they play like the team they were supposed to be preseason, why not?

The Colts game means almost nothing. Think about it. If you lose the game, and ended up winning out (all but the road Phili game), you would likely hold the tiebreaker at 10-6. If you won the game, you still have the same conference record, meaning that you would likely not have the tiebreaker (If the Eagles or Cowboys or whoever also went 11-5). Either way, the only way they get back in this thing is to get hot AFTER the bye. Savior is a bad role to put Jason Campbell in. The defense has to step up or its not happening.
I've said over and over Jason Campbell does not equate to wins. It means that the kid will learn how to play in this league. If they win out? They'll just reel off 9 straight wins? That's insane! They have:

@Indy
Dallas
@ Eagles
@ Bucs
Panthers
Falcons
Eagles
@ Saints
@ Rams
Giants

I could see them beating maybe the Bucs and Falcons. The rest of those teams can throw. The Skins will get torched by them. I don't care who the receivers are, Brunell isn't gonna magically start winning shootouts.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:37 AM   #28
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,479
Re: Starting Campbell Now Makes Cap Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Of course he's capable. I really don't think he's a problem. I guess it depends on the indiviuduals defination of problem, but I'll take a guy who is completing 60% on the year for 6+ yards an attempt and 3 INTs in 6 games any day of the week to be my QB. I watched him(Brunell) consistently keep drives alive in the first half yesterday. I remember Santana dropping a first down catch on 3rd and medium in the 2nd half, so I guess he's a problem too...

The Redskins offense isn't great just yet, but its really not that far from it. I think the solution is time, not a QB change.

It's an absolute crime that the defense can play this horribly and the only thing we can talk about is a QB change.
Oh, I'm not absolving the defense by any means, but I think with the defense fully healthy again (hoepfully next week), things will improve because players can play in their natural positions.

I'm just saying that the odds of us turning this season around are just about done, and it's time to look at the future. Should Brunell REALLY be our QB next season? I mean we could back in time, get Rice in his prime at WR and he'd still look for Moss or Cooley. We need someone who MAKES PLAYS at QB and doesn't play not to lose. I mean really, it's like Moss or Cooley are the only people who catch passes for the Skins.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:52 AM   #29
Special Teams
 
Yellow31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 123
Re: Starting Campbell Now Makes Cap Sense

I kind of agree with the entire Brunell being benched deal but the more I think about it, if the skins scored 22 points last year it was basically a "W", with the great D they played last year. This was the first game back for springs, who looked ok, just a little rusty and we were without our 2 main D linemen and started not 1 but 2 rookies in their place.

The one that everyone seems to be missing is Warrick Holdman, where the hell was he at all day??? the only time I saw him was when he missed tackles. If you will all recall last year he started the season, stunk it up got benched and the skins started winning!

I am calling for Brunell to continue starting(for now it is a long season), bench Holdman and start the other Rock, McIntosh. Lets get some more speed out there on D along with Taylor, and now springs is back come lets go out and hit somebody!!! the only player that has hit anybody hard all year is Taylor, bring in Rocky and lets see what he can do, can't be any worse than Holdman!!
Yellow31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:07 PM   #30
The Starter
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. MD
Age: 35
Posts: 1,316
Re: Starting Campbell Now Makes Cap Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
The Colts game means almost nothing. Think about it. If you lose the game, and ended up winning out (all but the road Phili game), you would likely hold the tiebreaker at 10-6. If you won the game, you still have the same conference record, meaning that you would likely not have the tiebreaker (If the Eagles or Cowboys or whoever also went 11-5).
How can you still be so homerish? Win out after the bye? What team have you been watching for the last 14 years? They will absolutely not win eight out of the next ten. They'll be LUCKY to win four of the next ten with Brunell running the show.

And earlier you made a comment about Brunell completeing 60% of his passes and only have three int's all season. Great, but when 85% of your completions are dumpoff's you're not scaring anyone. Just look how well the Titans defended the dink and dunks yesterday. It's because everyone know's it's coming.

And yes, three interceptions is nice, but what about five touchdowns threw six games? That puts him on pace for about 14 for the season. Niiiice... That's with a group of receivers(Moss, Lloyd, Cooley, Randle El, Sellers) who had 29 combined touchdown catches last season.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.37788 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25