Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Betts or Portis debate (merged)

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2006, 11:19 AM   #46
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,626
Re: Here! I'm going to say it and wait for all of you to crush me because of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
We're going to have to make the most of what picks we have, and maybe we'll look to pick up additional picks as well.

They key again will be free agency and re-signing the key guys that we have such as Dockery.

I think Gibbs and company will have learned a lesson after last season's free agent haul and will be much more careful this year.
Apart from Archuleta, I really don't think we did bad in free agency. But you know me, I'm just a yes man
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-04-2006, 11:26 AM   #47
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,110
Re: Here! I'm going to say it and wait for all of you to crush me because of it!

Arch was a costly mistake that we will pay for this offseason.

I think he's as good as gone, we'll bite his bullet.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:34 AM   #48
Impact Rookie
 
The Zimmermans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Woodley Park, Washington DC
Age: 30
Posts: 937
Re: Here! I'm going to say it and wait for all of you to crush me because of it!

what did we truly expect outta ARCH with the amount of money we paid for him? absolutely rediculous. He wasn't a proven successful player, that defense in St. Louis has one decent year, and they won the superbowl, all downhill from there.
__________________
Dan Snyder is a Cancer, Joe Gibbs is the Cure
The Zimmermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:49 AM   #49
Special Teams
 
gabe1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 372
Re: Here! I'm going to say it and wait for all of you to crush me because of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlielyons View Post
so i guess he was the one with 1500 rec yards and 23 passing tds.... and he returned the fumbles into the endzone and plays def.
do you seriously think we would of had 1500rec yards and 23 passing TDs without portis making defenses respect our running attack?
gabe1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:11 PM   #50
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,422
Re: Here! I'm going to say it and wait for all of you to crush me because of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zimmermans View Post
Depth is not a league-wide issue, it's a team to team issue depending on their past drafts. Eagles draft many players, but so many of them suck.......giants draft decisions are also questionable. However, Baltimore, San Diego, and Chicago build consistent defenses through the draft by creating depth at every position
Exactly. And I hate to say it but you can add Dallas in that mix too. Parcells has built a nice young defense with draft picks. If they can keep those players together, they are going to be really good for a long time. So with that being said I would move Portis ASAP if someone gave us the right deal. It should be an interesting off season at the RB position becasue I don't think we can keep both Betts and Portis.
skinsfan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:15 PM   #51
Special Teams
 
61cad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Reston, VA
Posts: 296
Re: Here! I'm going to say it and wait for all of you to crush me because of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Exactly. And I hate to say it but you can add Dallas in that mix too. Parcells has built a nice young defense with draft picks. If they can keep those players together, they are going to be really good for a long time. So with that being said I would move Portis ASAP if someone gave us the right deal. It should be an interesting off season at the RB position becasue I don't think we can keep both Betts and Portis.
I would think Portis and Moss are looking to be on a Super Bowl bound team ASAP and might be happy to get out.
__________________
DAMN YOU SAM HUFF, F****ING NEW YORK GIANT!
61cad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:37 PM   #52
Impact Rookie
 
hail_2_da_skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 58
Posts: 863
Re: Here! I'm going to say it and wait for all of you to crush me because of it!

I wouldn't give up on Clinton Portis. He is the Redskin's frachise player. Not unless the Redskins are going to get a Hershall Walker trade, I wouldn't trade Portis.

For those of you that may be too young to remember The Trade, here it is.

The Herschel Walker Trade

It is simply referred to as "The Trade." It was the largest player trade in NFL history, and it led to a Super Bowl caliber Vikings squad being decimated, a 2-time Super Bowl champion Cowboys team being built, and Vikings GM Mike Lynn being perhaps the most hated man in the world by Vikings fans. The Trade took place on October 12, 1989. Believing the Vikings to be only a big-time RB away from winning it all, Lynn acquired Herschel Walker from the Cowboys and new owner Jerry Jones and new coach Jimmy Johnson for 5 roster players (LB Jesse Solomon, DB Issiac Holt, RB Darrin Nelson, LB David Howard, DE Alex Stewart), and 6 assorted draft picks (conditional 1st & 2nd round in '90 and '91; 1st round and conditional 3rd in '92).
__________________
"HAIL TO THE SKINS"
hail_2_da_skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:58 PM   #53
Special Teams
 
BeastsoftheNFCeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 331
How much better is Portis than Betts

Basically what I'm trying to get at is should we keep Portis with his huge ass contract, or Betts for a small amount. I think we should keep portis, but if we got the right deal for portis, I wouldn't be too disapointed if betts became our featured guy, he is really proving himself, and besides people do better when they know they are the guy and not just filling in for someone, it's something I learned in psychology, they are more confident and comfortable. So betts would do even better then he is if he were the guy.
BeastsoftheNFCeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:00 PM   #54
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,110
Re: How much better is Portis than Betts

Portis is a much better all around player especially when it comes to blocking and picking up blitzes, I think that's one area we really miss right now.

Betts is good, but Portis is great.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:01 PM   #55
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: How much better is Portis than Betts

There is a thread where this is being discussed.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:05 PM   #56
Franchise Player
 
ArtMonkDrillz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 7,980
Re: How much better is Portis than Betts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Portis is a much better all around player especially when it comes to blocking and picking up blitzes, I think that's one area we really miss right now.

Betts is good, but Portis is great.
Good Matty, I'm glad we're in agreement on something today!


Portis has 6453 rushing yards and 56 total touchdowns since he broke into the league. Over the same amount of time Betts has 1914 rushing yards and 15 total touchdowns. I think those numbers speak for themselves.

Plus, Betts might get all cocky and ask for more money than he's worth after this season. So there's that.
__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
@Scott_Did_It is bored. Bother him.
ArtMonkDrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:09 PM   #57
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,110
Re: Betts or Portis debate (merged)

I will be honest though, given their contracts if I was a GM and I had to make a choice, I would probably take a back of Betts' quality and use that extra $$ elsewhere.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:11 PM   #58
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Betts or Portis debate (merged)

I can't we are even thinking about trading future HoF-er Portis, notwithstanding Betts' great game yesterday.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:14 PM   #59
The Starter
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. MD
Age: 35
Posts: 1,316
Re: How much better is Portis than Betts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastsoftheNFCeast View Post
Basically what I'm trying to get at is should we keep Portis with his huge ass contract, or Betts for a small amount. I think we should keep portis, but if we got the right deal for portis, I wouldn't be too disapointed if betts became our featured guy, he is really proving himself, and besides people do better when they know they are the guy and not just filling in for someone, it's something I learned in psychology, they are more confident and comfortable. So betts would do even better then he is if he were the guy.
There's some flawed points in your comments. First of all, Betts will not have anything close to a small contract next season if he keeps playing like he did Sunday. His contract will be less than Portis', but it'll more than likely be starting halfback money. And Betts is proving that he can do what he's always done; run edge plays and dump offs well, but suck at blocking and getting decent yards between the tackles. Two 100 yard games doesn't mean that Betts is all of the sudden a top tier running back. Portis is.

And I'm interested to know what psychology class teaches the thought proccesses of the backup NFL tailback. Unless your major is sports psychology or coaching, I'd get my money back.

All these Bett > Portis threads are retarded. When he's 100%, Portis is probably one of the top five most complete players in the league. The "What have you done for me lately" attitude that the fans of this team seem to have(a reflection of its owner) disgusts me. Portis is a team leader, an unselfish top tier back, and the face of the team. Why so many of you are ready to cast him aside is beyond me.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:20 PM   #60
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,110
Re: How much better is Portis than Betts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
There's some flawed points in your comments. First of all, Betts will not have anything close to a small contract next season if he keeps playing like he did Sunday. His contract will be less than Portis', but it'll more than likely be starting halfback money. And Betts is proving that he can do what he's always done; run edge plays and dump offs well, but suck at blocking and getting decent yards between the tackles. Two 100 yard games doesn't mean that Betts is all of the sudden a top tier running back. Portis is.

And I'm interested to know what psychology class teaches the thought proccesses of the backup NFL tailback. Unless your major is sports psychology or coaching, I'd get my money back.

All these Bett > Portis threads are retarded. When he's 100%, Portis is probably one of the top five most complete players in the league. The "What have you done for me lately" attitude that the fans of this team seem to have(a reflection of its owner) disgusts me. Portis is a team leader, an unselfish top tier back, and the face of the team. Why so many of you are ready to cast him aside is beyond me.
We heard the same thing 2 years ago when he ran for 118 against the Vikings. People were ready to dump Portis and crown Betts. (by the way I love Denny Green making 'crowning' such a hip comment)

I'm really not surprised we're hearing it again.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33636 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25