Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Next years CASH!!!!

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2006, 02:20 AM   #16
The Starter
 
dgack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The ATX (formerly Balmer)
Posts: 1,125
Re: Next years CASH!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyHeismann7 View Post
I think the signings were good, but it boils down to as much as i dont wanna say this..Gibbs just isnt that good of a coach anymore! The game is way to different now from what it was back in the day..That being said I still think Gibbs is a GREAT coach..1 of the best who's ever roamed our sidelines. I think its time me hangs it up. Smashmouth football of the 80's dont cut it anymore! It just kind hurts me and Im sure all of you to see Gibbs not suceed!
Uhm, yeah. Thanks for playing. The game isn't way different, but the personnel evaluation Joe has at his disposal sure is. Bobby Beathard and (even though he was nowhere near as good) Charlie Casserly were two of the key reasons the Redskins were so consistent back in the good 'ol days.

To respond to the post that said that last year we were all cheering for FA and this year we're dogging it, I guess the problem with buying pieces for a team is that if those pieces don't work out (injury, or if they totally Arch Out), you've got no reliable young developmental talent in the hopper. That's the single biggest concern I have right now. Even if we were in the playoff hunt, I'd be worried that we aren't building on a plan for a stronger organization that is going to be a perennial contender again.

One and done isn't good enough, and we aren't even there yet.
dgack is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-08-2006, 02:33 AM   #17
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,975
Re: Next years CASH!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyHeismann7 View Post
I think the signings were good, but it boils down to as much as i dont wanna say this..Gibbs just isnt that good of a coach anymore! The game is way to different now from what it was back in the day..That being said I still think Gibbs is a GREAT coach..1 of the best who's ever roamed our sidelines. I think its time me hangs it up. Smashmouth football of the 80's dont cut it anymore! It just kind hurts me and Im sure all of you to see Gibbs not suceed!
Let's not forget Gibbs was instrumental in the offensive success of the Chargers and their Air Coryell attack in the 1980s. He knows how to open things up when need be.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 07:24 AM   #18
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,519
Re: Next years CASH!!!!

all this talk of signing betts. anyone know what the numbers are?
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:19 AM   #19
The Starter
 
backrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 36.28 x 76.22
Age: 63
Posts: 1,812
Re: Next years CASH!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Amazing what a year does to you.
Last year we were all saying, "Damn, these free agents really paid off, good job front office!" This year, even though we have had more key injuries than ANY team in football, we are saying "free agents don't work" because we're 4-8.
Brunell was a problem, he's been benched. Campbell is learning.
We have holes in the CB areas because Rogers and more importantly, Springs have been injured most of the season.
Had we gotten a ket free agent CB in the offseason and allowed Campbell to be the man from day 1, I bet we'd be sitting at around .500. Yes, 6-6! Even with all the injuries! It's only as bleak as it is because of a couple problems, and alot of injuries. Our bad luck should be all gone and we'll start next season fresh and ready to kick ass.

The above is the best assessment of the situation I've seen. Throw in the discontent, finger-pointing, and criticism coming from both sides, and you have a picture of the current B&G offering on the field.
__________________
'37, '42, '83, '88, '92. Championship!
backrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:50 AM   #20
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: Next years CASH!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Actually I think the one thing this front office does very well is managing the cap.
If being able to shell out big bonuses for free agents while staying under the cap is managing "very well" then yes, they can do that.
But managing the cap this way created the turmoil we had at the end of the old cba. Remember the scenarios we faced if there was no cba last march? We would've had to purge the roster or get guys like lavar to not only restructure, but take a cut.
You could also argue that the real reason we didn't re-sign Smoot (though he is overpaid in Minn.) & Pierce was because cap hell loomed a year away. Add to that the Coles debacle, though it turned out well that we got santana, we ate a lot of dead cap space. The team didn't learn & signed AA & Loyd to deals which we're stuck with, whether they are here or not.
I guess you can say that Eric Schaffner (sp?) & the Dannay et al find creative ways to spend money w/in the cap, but their spending eventually catches up & we'll see that in a few years at the end of this cba if they continue like this.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:53 AM   #21
Special Teams
 
gabe1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 372
Re: Next years CASH!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyHeismann7 View Post
I think the signings were good, but it boils down to as much as i dont wanna say this..Gibbs just isnt that good of a coach anymore! The game is way to different now from what it was back in the day..That being said I still think Gibbs is a GREAT coach..1 of the best who's ever roamed our sidelines. I think its time me hangs it up. Smashmouth football of the 80's dont cut it anymore! It just kind hurts me and Im sure all of you to see Gibbs not suceed!
Joey, I disagree with you when you say that the smashmouth football of the 80s doesn't cut it anymore. Did u watch the Superbowl last year? I may be wrong, but it seemed to me that Steelers won the Superbowl using smashmouth running with Jerome Bettis, and smashmouth defense. In addition, they had the ability to go deep because of Ward and ARE. Plus, much of the reason why Ward is so valuable is because he is a great blocker; we have great skill player blockers too in Portis, Cooley, and even TO junior (Lloyd). I don't see any reason why we shouldn't be successful playing football like that; it worked last year. I think if all the players and the coaches better prepare themselves physically and mentally for next year's battles, we will be a better team who can win with that style of football.
gabe1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:19 AM   #22
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,553
Re: Next years CASH!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
If being able to shell out big bonuses for free agents while staying under the cap is managing "very well" then yes, they can do that.
But managing the cap this way created the turmoil we had at the end of the old cba. Remember the scenarios we faced if there was no cba last march? We would've had to purge the roster or get guys like lavar to not only restructure, but take a cut.
You could also argue that the real reason we didn't re-sign Smoot (though he is overpaid in Minn.) & Pierce was because cap hell loomed a year away. Add to that the Coles debacle, though it turned out well that we got santana, we ate a lot of dead cap space. The team didn't learn & signed AA & Loyd to deals which we're stuck with, whether they are here or not.
I guess you can say that Eric Schaffner (sp?) & the Dannay et al find creative ways to spend money w/in the cap, but their spending eventually catches up & we'll see that in a few years at the end of this cba if they continue like this.
Alot of teams were going to be in hot water if the new CBA didn't go through.

We've been hearing about the impending cap hell since 2000. They're obviously doing something right when it comes to working the numbers, that's all I'm saying.

I'm not trying to say all the moves have been wise ones, but they do have a great understanding of how the cap works and how to massage it to their advantage.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:51 AM   #23
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Next years CASH!!!!

On the surface, the numbers seem to work, but the players that make up those numbers don't.

Since Gibbs has been calling the personnel shots, there has been a hideous misallocation of resources.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.23325 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25