Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


The Portis move in hindsight

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2006, 01:17 PM   #31
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: The Portis move in hindsight

Let me throw this out there: If we put Portis on the trading block, can we fetch a first round pick for him?
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-08-2006, 01:18 PM   #32
The Starter
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. MD
Age: 35
Posts: 1,314
Re: The Portis move in hindsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Ok. I agree with you on that. Betts had not shown much. So let Rock C. and Kenny Watson be the back ups. Remember Kenny W? He ran well and so did Rock during the Spurrier years. I just think that you can win with average RB's. But you can't win with a bad defense. You can't hide that. I always believe that you keep the draft picks and stockpile.
So the defense has been bad for the first time since Portis has been here and Betts had one exceptional game and all of the sudden(three years later) getting Portis was a bad move... talk about a knee jerk.

And I can't even comment on a Kenny Watson reference...
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:23 PM   #33
Playmaker
 
celts32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hackettstown NJ
Age: 43
Posts: 2,656
Re: The Portis move in hindsight

I never liked the trade because I thought we gave up to much by adding a draft pick along with the best CB in the league...but Portis has been a great player for the redskins so it's long overdue to let this debate go.
__________________
Section 115 Row 23

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

http://victorybeer.com/
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:25 PM   #34
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: The Portis move in hindsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32 View Post
I never liked the trade because I thought we gave up to much by adding a draft pick along with the best CB in the league...but Portis has been a great player for the redskins so it's long overdue to let this debate go.

As it was stated earlier, good point I might add, the pick was kind of a moot point, because Champ was leaving anyway. The second round pick jus ensured that Portis was more or less really coming to D.C.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:28 PM   #35
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,368
Re: The Portis move in hindsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
You couldn't have made the argument about the D till this year. They were fine with Smoot and Springs. They were okay with Springs and Harris last year and they were better with Springs and Rogers till this year. If they had drafted a defensive guy, he wouldn't have seen the field anyway, because apparently Williams doesn't care how a vet is playing, he won't pull him for a rookie.
Your correct. BUT A GM would have saw this coming. Springs has a history of not staying healthy and it started to catch up with him last year. And it sure caught him this year. So a young corner OR TWO was in need. They got Joe S. off the scrap heap. Wynn was getting and is old. Same for Daniels. Where are the drafted young quality replacements that are being groomed in the system? We don't have any and that's why teams like TB run us over.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:30 PM   #36
The Starter
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. MD
Age: 35
Posts: 1,314
Re: The Portis move in hindsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Your correct. BUT A GM would have saw this coming. Springs has a history of not staying healthy and it started to catch up with him last year. And it sure caught him this year. So a young corner OR TWO was in need. They got Joe S. off the scrap heap. Wynn was getting and is old. Same for Daniels. Where are the drafted young quality replacements that are being groomed in the system? We don't have any and that's why teams like TB run us over.
And a single second round draft pick two years ago would have fixed all those problems?
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:31 PM   #37
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 3,087
Re: The Portis move in hindsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
And a single second round draft pick two years ago would have fixed all those problems?
That was gonna be my reply exactly.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:31 PM   #38
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,368
Re: The Portis move in hindsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Let me throw this out there: If we put Portis on the trading block, can we fetch a first round pick for him?
He might be on the block because Betts is now getting paid starter money. He would command more than a 1st rounder. I would trade him for a 1st rounder and a starter. Texans would be a perfect team. Kubiak coached him in Den.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:31 PM   #39
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,506
Re: The Portis move in hindsight

We knew Champ wanted to leave which meant everyone who we would be trading with knew as well. The "other team" had the upper hand in negotiations.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:31 PM   #40
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,616
Re: The Portis move in hindsight

Golston, Montgomery, Evans, Boschetti...we have some decent young talent.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:33 PM   #41
Playmaker
 
celts32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hackettstown NJ
Age: 43
Posts: 2,656
Re: The Portis move in hindsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
As it was stated earlier, good point I might add, the pick was kind of a moot point, because Champ was leaving anyway. The second round pick jus ensured that Portis was more or less really coming to D.C.
Yes, champ was leaving but we did own his rights and could have held out for a more fair trade from Denver or someoen else. When the redskins decide they want something they throw in whatever is necessary to make sure it happens that instant. All of the Redskins problems since Snyder came aboard have involved a general lack of patience. Snyders wants to win yesterday which is what we like most about him but that mindset has been a cloud over the Redskins decision making process.
__________________
Section 115 Row 23

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

http://victorybeer.com/
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:37 PM   #42
Impact Rookie
 
The Zimmermans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Woodley Park, Washington DC
Age: 30
Posts: 937
Re: The Portis move in hindsight

Denver is desparate for a quaility back right now like portis. If they had portis I think they would have at least 1 or 2 more wins. I really would like to hold on to both portis and betts considering how much of a "running team" the redskins are supposed to be. Running the ball 30+ times a game is gonna require more than one QUALITY back.
__________________
Dan Snyder is a Cancer, Joe Gibbs is the Cure
The Zimmermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:38 PM   #43
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,368
Re: The Portis move in hindsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
That was gonna be my reply exactly.
Of course not. But you don't give up two starters for one. If your going to make that trade then we are the ones who should have gotten the better end of the deal. If not then Gibbs should have sat Bailey down and told him things are gonna change. Or they should have just paid the man and not traded him at all. Some of it was over money. They pay everyone else so why not Bailey? You already know he can ball. So you go out and pay AA and AC but not the best corner in the league? C'mon.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:42 PM   #44
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,368
Re: The Portis move in hindsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS View Post
Golston, Montgomery, Evans, Boschetti...we have some decent young talent.
Are u kidding me? Golston has played OK. He's a rookie so he's a keeper. Evans has totally regressed. No pass rush pressure which is his strength. Montgomery and Boschetti? No thanks.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:44 PM   #45
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 3,087
Re: The Portis move in hindsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Of course not. But you don't give up two starters for one. If your going to make that trade then we are the ones who should have gotten the better end of the deal. If not then Gibbs should have sat Bailey down and told him things are gonna change. Or they should have just paid the man and not traded him at all. Some of it was over money. They pay everyone else so why not Bailey? You already know he can ball. So you go out and pay AA and AC but not the best corner in the league? C'mon.
First of all, stop comparing now to 3 years ago. Second, he didn't wanna be here. He was tired of all of the coaching changes. I think he also saw what LaVar has said a lot, we just don't like to hear it. They also weren't in the business of paying their own guys and keeping them then. And, if you think Archuletta, Randle El, Carter, Lloyd, Portis, or anyone they gave big contracts to will see the end of them you're completely out of your mind. That's "the business side of football" that everyone thinks the Skins are so good at.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.45501 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25