Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Betts better than Portis?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2006, 08:08 PM   #31
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 3,087
Re: Betts better than Portis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf85 View Post
Yeah its not like Portis had 1500 yds last year and 11 tds.I have said this before and i guess i have to say it again.Look at the carries guys and wake up.Portis never got more than 23 carries in one game this year.He was getting 14 to 17 carries a game.Betts has got 24,28 and now 33.Give Portis that many carries and you will see better numbers.
That's a really good point. I never even thought about it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-10-2006, 08:25 PM   #32
The Starter
 
dgack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The ATX (formerly Balmer)
Posts: 1,125
Re: Betts better than Portis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
its all about wins and losses. lets talk about those numbers when betts starts, as compared to when clinton starts. its not even close
We've covered this already, but we the team hasn't even posted a winning record with Portis starting, so it's a pretty lame (IMO) way to make your argument.
dgack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:25 PM   #33
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: Betts better than Portis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
its all about wins and losses. lets talk about those numbers when betts starts, as compared to when clinton starts. its not even close
That's what it comes down to. Plus, like others have said, Betts has had some nice blocking the last few games. The announcers even noted that anyone could have run through some of those holes today. Not to take away from Betts, but he has yet to put the team on his shoulders and carry them through a game (let alone 6 in a row like CP did last year).
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:32 PM   #34
The Starter
 
dgack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The ATX (formerly Balmer)
Posts: 1,125
Re: Betts better than Portis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf85 View Post
Look at the carries guys and wake up.Portis never got more than 23 carries in one game this year.He was getting 14 to 17 carries a game.Betts has got 24,28 and now 33.Give Portis that many carries and you will see better numbers.
Another questionable argument, since we know he was hurt pretty bad and Joe didn't want to kill him by over-using him. He was so beaten up that he ran out of gas entirely in the playoffs last year, so what does that tell you?

Betts is more of a pounder, Clinton's more of a slasher, I don't understand the problem here. It's pretty clear to me that we could have been using Betts as a workhorse and uncorking Clinton for a big play threat for a year now.
dgack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:36 PM   #35
The Starter
 
dgack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The ATX (formerly Balmer)
Posts: 1,125
Re: Betts better than Portis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
We've actually talked about this about 1 million times. However, I'll get into this thread...

Portis is a harder runner. Portis wasn't getting the holes that Betts is now getting. Yes, Betts is looking better than Portis did, however, Portis wasn't 100% and, like I said, he didn't get the same O Line play. Up until this season, Clinton has been far more durable. Betts is a guy who can has a history of injuries. He hasn't had much of a shot to carry the load because he hasn't been reliable very often. Also, how many tds did he score? None. How many does he have this year? 2. Portis has had way more than that this year. I don't wanna hear about TJ being a goal line back because he wasn't when Clinton was healthy. Clinton was the goal line back.

I'm so sick of talking about this.
Then stop talking *shrug*. I'm a monster CP fan, but you guys act like it's heresy to suggest that he could be more productive if we weren't so busy trying to ram him down everyone's throat to prove how "tough" he is. That's insanity, and a sure way to "Earl Campbellize" our marquee player.

PS, a lot of people were down on CP's rushing TD's in '04, too. I seem to recall a lot of playcalling that looked like this:

1-5 OPP 5: Portis OT no gain.
2-5 OPP 5: Portis OT no gain.
3-5 OPP 5: Portis OT no gain.
4-5 OPP 5: John Hall 23 yd FG is good.
dgack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:53 PM   #36
Special Teams
 
SkinsLove24/7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bowie, MD
Age: 27
Posts: 423
Re: Betts better than Portis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
To some extent I disagree with that. Portis could have easily got stuffed behind or at the line of scrimmage due to his "dancing" nature. Betts just hits 4th gear going through the hole. Which is why I asked if he is a better fit for this offense.
Portis is spectacular, and should always be our guy, but the way Betts is playing is more like what Gibbs wanted out of Portis all along.

You my friend, have jumped on the Ladell Betts bandwagon big time. Not that its not a good wagon but one wagon runs this town. That would be Clinton Portis' wagon.....Which I am on.....Not Leaving.
SkinsLove24/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:56 PM   #37
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Betts better than Portis?

I really don't see where it matters which one is better. I'm delighted we have them both on the team, and look foreward to good things from them both in the future.
__________________
A revolution is coming and it will be televised.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:08 PM   #38
Mr. Brightside
 
Big C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Age: 28
Posts: 4,439
Re: Betts better than Portis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
I really don't see where it matters which one is better. I'm delighted we have them both on the team, and look foreward to good things from them both in the future.
i agree. we are going to use both a lot so i dont see the what the arguing is about. this is an awesome "problem" to have
__________________
"I don't care what nobody say I'm a be me, stay hood stay real, cause I'm out here grindin'" -Joe Gibbs
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:56 PM   #39
Special Teams
 
Skins_4_Lyfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upper Marlboro, MD/Greensboro, NC
Age: 26
Posts: 482
Re: Betts better than Portis?

I have been thinking this for a while now... I noticed that Betts is a smarter runner than Portis, the only thing that Portis has that is better than Betts is his speed (which is important in this league). I love the patience that Betts runs with and the way he reads his blocks. When I see Betts make his move and get into the open-field, I think to myself "If that were Portis it would have been a TD". But at the same time Portis would have never been Patient enough to open up that run.

So yes if you ask me Betts is a better "Player" than Portis, but certainly not a better athlete. Don't get me wrong...I love Portis, but I also love the "underdog"...maybe thats why I'm a Redskins fan.
__________________

Skins_4_Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:08 PM   #40
The Starter
 
budw38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern,Va.
Posts: 2,381
Wink Re: Betts better than Portis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantsSuck703 View Post
Wow, Ladell betts rushed for 171 yards and we lost, tell me exactly what he did. Pretty much everytime Clinton runs for 100 yards we win, and dont forget he almost single handidly ran us into the playoffs last year
Ya , 171 yds ,,,, big deal ? So if Portis runs for 110 yds , 3.9 yd avg ,,, HE wins for us , If Betts gets near 200 it is the line doing it ? Guess the line likes blocking for Betts , and they let CP do it all by himself ? Maybe the question should be what have a dozen draft picks , Campbell , Brunell , Loyd , L. Coles , Cooley ,Duckett and the millions we paid for the others do for us ? We won those games last year because of our defence , our offence with CP could not find the endzone against Arizona and Oakland ,, lucky our D bailed us out vs Philly , maybe Portis played as # 21 and ran back the fumble for a td , not Taylor ?
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:21 PM   #41
The Starter
 
budw38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern,Va.
Posts: 2,381
Re: Betts better than Portis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
We've actually talked about this about 1 million times. However, I'll get into this thread...

Portis is a harder runner. Portis wasn't getting the holes that Betts is now getting. Yes, Betts is looking better than Portis did, however, Portis wasn't 100% and, like I said, he didn't get the same O Line play. Up until this season, Clinton has been far more durable. Betts is a guy who can has a history of injuries. He hasn't had much of a shot to carry the load because he hasn't been reliable very often. Also, how many tds did he score? None. How many does he have this year? 2. Portis has had way more than that this year. I don't wanna hear about TJ being a goal line back because he wasn't when Clinton was healthy. Clinton was the goal line back.

I'm so sick of talking about this.
How much harder does CP run than Betts ? How many tds does CP have in three years , less than LT has in thirteen games this year ? And , was that CP that had 5 carries inside the 4 against dallas and got ,,,, 0 ? Betts may never be CP , but CP is not bruning up the NFL either . Just be glad we have them both .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:23 PM   #42
Mr. Brightside
 
Big C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Age: 28
Posts: 4,439
Re: Betts better than Portis?

this is getting fucking rediculous. saying that portis wins games and betts doesnt? i mean lets be real here. i dont see how on earth betts didnt do everything he could to win that game for us...171 yards. when portis was playing last year we had a top defense and an experienced qb, something betts doesnt have right now. give the guy some credit
__________________
"I don't care what nobody say I'm a be me, stay hood stay real, cause I'm out here grindin'" -Joe Gibbs
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:38 PM   #43
Impact Rookie
 
81forHOF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mt Holly Springs, PA
Age: 41
Posts: 542
Re: Betts better than Portis?

Half of me likes Portis better.......because he wears silly costumes.
But the other half of me likes Betts better............because Portis wears silly costumes.
__________________
81 is where he belongs!
81forHOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:39 PM   #44
Special Teams
 
Skins_4_Lyfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upper Marlboro, MD/Greensboro, NC
Age: 26
Posts: 482
Re: Betts better than Portis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81forHOF View Post
Half of me likes Portis better.......because he wears silly costumes.
But the other half of me likes Betts better............because Portis wears silly costumes.
LOL...
__________________

Skins_4_Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:17 PM   #45
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Betts better than Portis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf85 View Post
Yeah its not like Portis had 1500 yds last year and 11 tds.I have said this before and i guess i have to say it again.Look at the carries guys and wake up.Portis never got more than 23 carries in one game this year.He was getting 14 to 17 carries a game.Betts has got 24,28 and now 33.Give Portis that many carries and you will see better numbers.
Sorry, that theory doesn't fly.
Portis averaged 4.1 yards a carry this season, 4.3 last season, and 3.8 two years ago. Betts is averaging 4.7 yards a carry this season after today. So obviously if you gave Portis the same amount of carries, he would not get the same numbers. Call it injuries, call it better blocking, I don't care, but betts needs to be given his props.

ps- portis had 1516 yards last season (a redskins record) on 352 carries. If Betts had the same amount of carries this year as Portis last year he'd have 1654 yards. Just a thought.
Also, if you take away his two injury games (philly and minn.) Portis averaged over 21 attempts per game. Again, just a thought.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33124 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25