Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Betts better than Portis?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2006, 11:19 PM   #46
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Betts better than Portis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
That's a really good point. I never even thought about it.
You might want to read my earlier post, and rethink your thought of it being a good point...it's not when you examine the facts.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-10-2006, 11:23 PM   #47
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Betts better than Portis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsLove24/7 View Post
You my friend, have jumped on the Ladell Betts bandwagon big time. Not that its not a good wagon but one wagon runs this town. That would be Clinton Portis' wagon.....Which I am on.....Not Leaving.
Actually, that's not true. Look at my first post on the first page.
Portis is the better back, I just like to think outside the box. We all get into this warm and fuzzy area of our brains, and if anyone challenges us to get out of it, resistance occurs. Check out how many people got their panties in a wad over a simple thread. You can always tell who the thinkers are and who the reactors are.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:44 PM   #48
Special Teams
 
Winskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Wheaton, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 282
Re: Betts better than Portis?

Nice thread jsarno. Interesting topic and a well-backed argument. This is good old school Warpath. I like the fact that this topic stirs debate, but am a little upset about people asking for the thread to be closed or calling the topic ridiculous. I have always seen this site as one that fosters lively and interesting debate about controversial issues and I think that we should all make it our jobs to ensure that it remains that way.

With that being said, the fact that this debate can reasonably exists makes me pretty happy about our backfield and our running game for next year. Betts and Portis are both superior backs!

HTTR
__________________
The Skins will make the Cowboys their woman...and they're gonna enjoy it!
Winskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:55 PM   #49
Special Teams
 
BeastsoftheNFCeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 331
Re: Betts better than Portis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Actually, that's not true. Look at my first post on the first page.
Portis is the better back, I just like to think outside the box. We all get into this warm and fuzzy area of our brains, and if anyone challenges us to get out of it, resistance occurs. Check out how many people got their panties in a wad over a simple thread. You can always tell who the thinkers are and who the reactors are.
Exactly man, I like you, I've started a bunch of threads that are like this one where you make it just for debate and to brainstorm, and everyone always jumps all over them. Portis is the better back due to his better ability in the Red Zone, his more physical style of play, and his ability to block but I wouldnt mind giving Portis up and keeping Betts if the right deal came along.
BeastsoftheNFCeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:58 PM   #50
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,963
Re: Betts better than Portis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
its all about wins and losses. lets talk about those numbers when betts starts, as compared to when clinton starts. its not even close
Are you saying we have a better chance to win the game when Clinton Portis runs for 100 yards than we do if Ladell Betts runs for 200 yards?

If so, I think you're way off on this one.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:04 AM   #51
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,963
Re: Betts better than Portis?

Jsarno presents a very simple question, and a very valid one. Is Ladell Betts a better runner for this offense than Clinton Portis is? Don't dismiss the question, answer it!

It's hard for me to see Betts being a better runner than Portis in ANY offense. Truth is that Al has had much success running the ball no matter who was in the game. When we had both Portis and Betts, we had the carries being realtively split, so neither of them collected many 100 yard games. This season alone, they have been almost dead equal in effectiveness when in the game. But next year when Portis is a) healthy and b) fresh, I think that Portis will post a much better 07 than Betts will.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:12 AM   #52
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,963
Re: Betts better than Portis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
this is getting fucking rediculous. saying that portis wins games and betts doesnt? i mean lets be real here. i dont see how on earth betts didnt do everything he could to win that game for us...171 yards. when portis was playing last year we had a top defense and an experienced qb, something betts doesnt have right now. give the guy some credit
Amen man. The players who are real winners are the ones who play better to help their team win. If you are an inferior player who happens to be on a winning team, are you a better player than a superior player on a worse team?

Obviously you aren't because I used the terms "superior" and "inferior," but there will be arguements til the end of time which try to prove the guy on the winning team is better, even in clear cut situations.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:52 AM   #53
The Starter
 
budw38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern,Va.
Posts: 2,362
Re: Betts better than Portis?

If JC developes and the O- Line improves , through depth and better feel for the offence , we may have two backs very capable of running over and around most defence's . Glad we have both ! Lets hope we can find a nasty DE , another cover corner and maybe we are in the hunt for the playoffs nextyear . I just hope that they do NOT pay some average cb big bucks , they better resign Taylor first .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:37 AM   #54
Playmaker
 
celts32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hackettstown NJ
Age: 42
Posts: 2,656
Re: Betts better than Portis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Betts pulled off 430 yards in 3 games.
Portis has never done that for us, in fact Portis' best 3 game streak this year was 274 yards.
In 05 was 353 yards.
In 04 was 388 yards.

Is Betts a better fit in this offense than Portis is?

Portis best receiving season was 236 yards for us, Betts already passed that with 315 yards right now with 3 games remaining.

(just for the record I do not beleive Betts is better at this point, but these numbers mean a lot.)
You kidding right?

Betts is a pretty good player....Portis is a gamebreaker. How many of those plays yesterday where Betts got to the second level of the defense only to have a DB tackle him would Portis have taken to the house. Betts doesn't make many people miss...when Portis gets to the 2nd level it's over.
__________________
Section 115 Row 23

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

http://victorybeer.com/
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:43 AM   #55
Impact Rookie
 
The Zimmermans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Woodley Park, Washington DC
Age: 29
Posts: 937
Re: Betts better than Portis?

Bett's improvements are a great sign, this gives us two legitimate backs for next season..........such a waste with the defense in its current state. I'm worried about Jansen however, how long can he tolerate this pain before he hangs it up for the season. But the O-line is on fire right now......bugel has got these boys rolling, I hope they carry this into next season. They are playing like they did at the end of last season, too bad the defense isnt doing the same
__________________
Dan Snyder is a Cancer, Joe Gibbs is the Cure
The Zimmermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:37 AM   #56
Playmaker
 
artmonkforhallofamein07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Charleston , SC
Posts: 4,549
Re: Betts better than Portis?

Wouldn't it cost us in cap money if we traded Portis, and one other thing I wouldn't trade Portis because in the NFL you need 2 backs. This is also the first year Betts hasn't missed any time due to injury.
__________________
Robert Griffin III welcome to the Washington Redskins!

Year 1 - NFC EAST Champions at 10-6

Year 2 - 3-10... Benched 14 weeks to late.....

Year 3 - Pure Awesomeness!!

http://site.fandangoracinginc.com/
artmonkforhallofamein07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:04 AM   #57
The Starter
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. MD
Age: 35
Posts: 1,311
Re: Betts better than Portis?

Wow. So Betts has a nice streak of games, and everyone wants to dismiss the fact that he's been on the team for five seasons, and never had anything close to this level of production. Yes, he's better than Portis. That's why Portis has as many yards in the last two seasons as Betts has in his career. Portis also has as many touchdowns this season, as Betts has in his career. So yeah, let's all act like Betts decent string of games makes him better than one of the most complete players in the league. Talk about a knee jerk. Stupid question, no matter whatever circumstantial scenario you want to throw out.

I do however think Betts is a nice compliment to Portis, and he might even have better vision than Portis. The problem with Betts is if the hole isn't there, he's almost completely ineffective. Portis can turn nothing into something better than most backs in the league, and his speed and big play ability are above average also. And Portis is arguably the best blocking halfback in the league; something that Betts is sub par at. While I think having both of them in the backfield will be a very nice situation next season, debating who is the better football player isn't even and argument.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:15 AM   #58
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 79,418
Re: Betts better than Portis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmonkforhallofamein07 View Post
Wouldn't it cost us in cap money if we traded Portis, and one other thing I wouldn't trade Portis because in the NFL you need 2 backs. This is also the first year Betts hasn't missed any time due to injury.
Don't even worry, the trade CP talk comes from those with severe and incurable Maddenitis.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:48 PM   #59
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 3,087
Re: Betts better than Portis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgack View Post
Then stop talking *shrug*. I'm a monster CP fan, but you guys act like it's heresy to suggest that he could be more productive if we weren't so busy trying to ram him down everyone's throat to prove how "tough" he is. That's insanity, and a sure way to "Earl Campbellize" our marquee player.

PS, a lot of people were down on CP's rushing TD's in '04, too. I seem to recall a lot of playcalling that looked like this:

1-5 OPP 5: Portis OT no gain.
2-5 OPP 5: Portis OT no gain.
3-5 OPP 5: Portis OT no gain.
4-5 OPP 5: John Hall 23 yd FG is good.
Nobody's acting like that at all. I was pointing out some facts about the situation. Not some hypothetical bs based on 3 starts and other limited action about a player who hasn't been healthy enough to prove anything over the course of his 5 year career other than the fact that he's a good 2nd option.

BTW, as far as telling me to "stop talking" excuse the hell outta me for not feeling talking about the same shit year after year. Wow, now I see exaclty what Daseal was saying.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:52 PM   #60
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 3,087
Re: Betts better than Portis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by budw38 View Post
How much harder does CP run than Betts ? How many tds does CP have in three years , less than LT has in thirteen games this year ? And , was that CP that had 5 carries inside the 4 against dallas and got ,,,, 0 ? Betts may never be CP , but CP is not bruning up the NFL either . Just be glad we have them both .
Oh really? The fastest guy to 6000 yards ever isn't exactly burning up the NFL?! They announced that during the Texans game. The fastest player ever to 6000. He had 11 td's last year and 7 this year in 9 games, a couple of which he was used very little. Betts has 2 this year. That's a big dropoff. That's how much harder of a runner he is.

And also, I think Tomlinson is the best runner in the NFL and maybe the best back of all time. So, I don't think saying Portis isn't as good at getting to the end zone as Tomlinson isn't exactly an insult.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33444 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25