Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Are the recievers getting open

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2006, 09:10 AM   #16
The Starter
 
redsk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,351
Re: Are the recievers getting open

In order for us to become a good offensive team we are going to have to get the ball in our playmakers hands. We have great WR's. Let's not overthink this. JC is young and is learning but is having a hard time getting the ball out to the WR's consistently. We have turned the corner in regards to running the ball now we've got to improve in the explosive play of our WR's.

IMO, it's not that their not open.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-25-2006, 03:00 PM   #17
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,513
Re: Are the recievers getting open

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggoraider View Post
Although Cooley is a very good receiving "tight end" he is NOT a receiver nor do he possess receiver skills. He is coming off blocks which limits his abilities and does not have receiver speed.

I am a huge Moss fan but in football it is not all about the "deep pass" and we need an intermediate receiver to compliment Moss' deep ball threat or defenses are going to concentrate only on him which is going to take away from some of the big plays that he can possibly make.

Options is the key and at the receiver position we do not have many at this point.
Sorry, but I disagree. We have enough talent at wide receiver. I think we covered that pretty well last year in free agency.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 04:02 PM   #18
Special Teams
 
riggoraider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: D.C. area
Posts: 179
Re: Are the recievers getting open

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Sorry, but I disagree. We have enough talent at wide receiver. I think we covered that pretty well last year in free agency.
LOL...I think that you need to see the numbers that our receivers have put up this year

Just because we paid lots of money for receivers does not mean it was a wise investment. Our receivers are the jokes of the league but as I said in another thread, there is nothing wrong with disagreeing.
riggoraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:17 AM   #19
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,422
Re: Are the recievers getting open

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
We've got the possession receiver that we need. He wears #47.

As for the small receivers not being big targets, Santana Moss plays the deep ball better than many many (most?) larger receivers.

I don't think a thing needs to be changed with the receivers. Just let them gel with 17. Continuity is key.
I agree here. As much as I would like to see a 6'4 WR I think a full offseason with the same group would help out a ton. Moss and JC are just not on the same page.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:29 AM   #20
Special Teams
 
gabe1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 372
Re: Are the recievers getting open

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggoraider View Post
Although Cooley is a very good receiving "tight end" he is NOT a receiver nor do he possess receiver skills. He is coming off blocks which limits his abilities and does not have receiver speed.

I am a huge Moss fan but in football it is not all about the "deep pass" and we need an intermediate receiver to compliment Moss' deep ball threat or defenses are going to concentrate only on him which is going to take away from some of the big plays that he can possibly make.

Options is the key and at the receiver position we do not have many at this point.
I disagree with what you are saying. Part of the reason why Moss is so dangerous is his ability to turn short catches into big gains; I think we all saw him do it many times last year and even a few time this year. I don't think of him as just a deep ball guy at all. In addition, I also disagree with you when you say that we do not have many options at receiver. I'm really not sure what you mean by that; Moss, ARE, and Lloyd have loads of talent. I don't think we really need to get a big receiver. Moss is strong for his size, he manages to break tackles and get out of situations where it looks like he's going to get tacked a lot. Look at other receiving groups, our receivers are really not that small.
Lloyd- 6 ft. 192lbs
Moss- 5'10 185lbs
ARE - 5'10 192lbs

Marvin Harrison - 6ft 185
Reggie Wayne - 6ft -198

Chad Johnson - 6'1 192lbs
TJ whosyourmama - 6'1 199lbs

So we are a little small, but what they lack in size they make up for in other skills. I am not totally trying to discount having a big receiver, all of KC's receivers were close to 200lb or more, so maybe Saunders is used to working with big guys, and on the Cardinals LJ weighs 226 and Boldin weighs 223, freakin huge. Plus we used to have a big guy at receiver, his name is Rod Gardner, he didn't do much.
gabe1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 01:19 PM   #21
Special Teams
 
riggoraider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: D.C. area
Posts: 179
Re: Are the recievers getting open

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe1984 View Post
I disagree with what you are saying. Part of the reason why Moss is so dangerous is his ability to turn short catches into big gains; I think we all saw him do it many times last year and even a few time this year. I don't think of him as just a deep ball guy at all. In addition, I also disagree with you when you say that we do not have many options at receiver. I'm really not sure what you mean by that; Moss, ARE, and Lloyd have loads of talent. I don't think we really need to get a big receiver. Moss is strong for his size, he manages to break tackles and get out of situations where it looks like he's going to get tacked a lot. Look at other receiving groups, our receivers are really not that small.
Lloyd- 6 ft. 192lbs
Moss- 5'10 185lbs
ARE - 5'10 192lbs

Marvin Harrison - 6ft 185
Reggie Wayne - 6ft -198

Chad Johnson - 6'1 192lbs
TJ whosyourmama - 6'1 199lbs

So we are a little small, but what they lack in size they make up for in other skills. I am not totally trying to discount having a big receiver, all of KC's receivers were close to 200lb or more, so maybe Saunders is used to working with big guys, and on the Cardinals LJ weighs 226 and Boldin weighs 223, freakin huge. Plus we used to have a big guy at receiver, his name is Rod Gardner, he didn't do much.
Moss is a good receiver but he can not do it by himself. I do not know how you get the idea that, besides Moss that we have anything else at the receiver position. Our receivers are like 27th in the league and would not be that high if our tight end stats were not put in with theirs.

And we had another big guy and his name was Arthur Monk. Remember him?
riggoraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 01:30 PM   #22
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: Are the recievers getting open

Before we blame the recievers, let's remember that JC is developing on the job. I recall reading that he still throws too late on many routes, waits for recievers to get open & then throws, rather than throwing in their break they way the play is designed. Sometimes recievers are only open for a short window before the play breaks down. That said, our wr's don't seem to do a good job of coming back to the ball when the route is over. I would've expected ARE to get more short passes coming back for the ball.
Unless Loyd shows great improvement next year, I don't see him as being a dependable wr. He'll make a big catch now & then, but doesn't seem to be in tune w/the O most of the time.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 01:43 PM   #23
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Are the recievers getting open

Their size is not the problem its the fact that the coaches pulled Brunell just when he was starting to hit his WR's for a QB with no experence.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 01:52 PM   #24
Special Teams
 
riggoraider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: D.C. area
Posts: 179
Re: Are the recievers getting open

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Their size is not the problem its the fact that the coaches pulled Brunell just when he was starting to hit his WR's for a QB with no experence.
Please take a look at successful passing team receiver mix a bigger receiver is a definite need. I think that pulling Brunell was a mistake also. Some people are riding high on Campbell and knocking Brunell when Brunell was actually having a better season that Campbell is producing for us, which proves to me that beauty IS in the eye of the beholder.
riggoraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 02:50 PM   #25
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Are the recievers getting open

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggoraider View Post
Please take a look at successful passing team receiver mix a bigger receiver is a definite need. I think that pulling Brunell was a mistake also. Some people are riding high on Campbell and knocking Brunell when Brunell was actually having a better season that Campbell is producing for us, which proves to me that beauty IS in the eye of the beholder.
I was joking about Brunell and he may have been pulled a game or two too early but this is very god experence that JC needs. Its better that he makes the mistakes now when they do not count as much then having him making them next season. Yes he will still have alot to learn next year but every snap this year helps him become a better QB next year. I would say Cooley is our big WR and can be that large target for JC and that is not one of our problems right now. I was trying to watch this week to see if JC was missing open WR's but its hard to tell on TV. I have seen a few he has missed but that is another reason why these games are so important for him to learn. It also gives the coaches film for them to review with him pointing out stuff he missed or thing he could have done better.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 02:59 PM   #26
Special Teams
 
gabe1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 372
Re: Are the recievers getting open

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggoraider View Post
Moss is a good receiver but he can not do it by himself. I do not know how you get the idea that, besides Moss that we have anything else at the receiver position. Our receivers are like 27th in the league and would not be that high if our tight end stats were not put in with theirs.

And we had another big guy and his name was Arthur Monk. Remember him?
How I'm getting the idea that we have anything besides Moss at the receiver position is that we are playing with a first year starting quarterback. I believe that once he is more comfortable in the offense he will be able to hit our other receivers more frequently and they will be able to make plays. And yes, I do remember Art Monk. My opinion is that the size of the receiver does not really matter that much and I think that next year Lloyd and ARE will be more used to the offense and will run better routes and produce more.
gabe1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 03:02 PM   #27
Special Teams
 
riggoraider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: D.C. area
Posts: 179
Re: Are the recievers getting open

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I was joking about Brunell and he may have been pulled a game or two too early but this is very god experence that JC needs. Its better that he makes the mistakes now when they do not count as much then having him making them next season. Yes he will still have alot to learn next year but every snap this year helps him become a better QB next year. I would say Cooley is our big WR and can be that large target for JC and that is not one of our problems right now. I was trying to watch this week to see if JC was missing open WR's but its hard to tell on TV. I have seen a few he has missed but that is another reason why these games are so important for him to learn. It also gives the coaches film for them to review with him pointing out stuff he missed or thing he could have done better.
Being that JC is going to be our QB of the future I really hope that he is just going through growing pains but right now he is reminding me of Andre Ware. I agree that the move to Campbell was a move for the future but it should of been made when we were eliminated from all playoff hopes. The NFC had some awful records this year and with Brunell I think that we would have had more wins than with Campbell and maybe would have made the playoffs because of the improved line play late in the season.

And oh by the way Cooley is not a WR
riggoraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 03:09 PM   #28
Special Teams
 
riggoraider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: D.C. area
Posts: 179
Re: Are the recievers getting open

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe1984 View Post
How I'm getting the idea that we have anything besides Moss at the receiver position is that we are playing with a first year starting quarterback. I believe that once he is more comfortable in the offense he will be able to hit our other receivers more frequently and they will be able to make plays. And yes, I do remember Art Monk. My opinion is that the size of the receiver does not really matter that much and I think that next year Lloyd and ARE will be more used to the offense and will run better routes and produce more.
The size of a receiver defiNITEly matters. Let's hope that Lloyd and ARE produce more next season but ARE is not a natural receiver and Lloyd is not one who has proven himself to be a very good NFL receiver as of yet. A good possession receiver will open up these guys for longer passes and make them more valuable assets to the team as of right now both have been liabilitites.
riggoraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 04:09 PM   #29
Impact Rookie
 
Bill B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 721
Re: Are the recievers getting open

Here is a guy to ponder - Sydney Rice - 6'4" 215 lbs - who was an all freshman reciever out of South Carolina last year and had good stats this year as well, pretty darn fast and he has great hands and he did it against SEC competition. Opposing teams were double teaming him because the Gamecocks did not have another good option at WR. If he decides to come out he is projected as a late first round pick, so with all the glaring needs on defense this is most likley a pipe dream for the Skins to take. I will say he is way better than fellow Gamecock reciever Troy Williamson who went to the Vikings early and was supposed to replace Moss.
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 04:14 PM   #30
Special Teams
 
gabe1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 372
Re: Are the recievers getting open

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggoraider View Post
The size of a receiver defiNITEly matters. Let's hope that Lloyd and ARE produce more next season but ARE is not a natural receiver and Lloyd is not one who has proven himself to be a very good NFL receiver as of yet. A good possession receiver will open up these guys for longer passes and make them more valuable assets to the team as of right now both have been liabilitites.
Ok, the size of a receiver is important, but that doesnt make a receiver. Once again, look at the Colts. If size is so dire, then why didnt the Skins go after Jevon Walker?
gabe1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.43741 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25