Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Does the Eagles run remind you of anything???

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2006, 02:39 PM   #31
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Does the Eagles run remind you of anything???

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurrykaine View Post
Hate to eulogize the Eagles, but what they've done this year is a heck of a lot more impressive than what we accomplished last year. They've beaten 3 division rivals all on the road.

That said, they will probably exit in the first round of the playoffs.
We were 5-1 in division last year!!! Our only loss was to a pumped up giants team that just lost their owner.
The Eagles are 5-1 in division...same!
The Eagles are 8-3 in NFC, we were 10-2 last year.
Their run is no more impressive at all.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-27-2006, 02:41 PM   #32
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,813
Re: Does the Eagles run remind you of anything???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS View Post
I think most true fans of that era give Bones his due. He did have some great players though beyond DG though-Mann, Manley, Marshall, Butz. Whether he made them great or they just were great I don't know.
Yes those were great players but not Hall of Famers. RP never had an LT or the pure talent of the 85 Bears.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:58 PM   #33
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,520
Re: Does the Eagles run remind you of anything???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
We were 5-1 in division last year!!! Our only loss was to a pumped up giants team that just lost their owner.
The Eagles are 5-1 in division...same!
The Eagles are 8-3 in NFC, we were 10-2 last year.
Their run is no more impressive at all.
Agreed.

I don't know why some seem so intent on pissing on our playoff run last year.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:13 PM   #34
Special Teams
 
ncskinsfanec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 432
Re: Does the Eagles run remind you of anything???

That playoff run last year stirred memories of the glory years! If Gibbs can't get it turned around (which I believe he will) we'll always have fond memories of the 2005 season, that was fun stuff!
ncskinsfanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:25 PM   #35
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Does the Eagles run remind you of anything???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Agreed.

I don't know why some seem so intent on pissing on our playoff run last year.
It might have something to do with how well that playoff run carried over this year.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:13 PM   #36
Impact Rookie
 
hurrykaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington, D.C.
Age: 41
Posts: 762
Re: Does the Eagles run remind you of anything???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
We were 5-1 in division last year!!! Our only loss was to a pumped up giants team that just lost their owner.
The Eagles are 5-1 in division...same!
The Eagles are 8-3 in NFC, we were 10-2 last year.
Their run is no more impressive at all.
Beating 3 division rivals all on the road in back to back weeks isn't more impressive?
hurrykaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:31 PM   #37
Special Teams
 
ncskinsfanec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 432
Re: Does the Eagles run remind you of anything???

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurrykaine View Post
Beating 3 division rivals all on the road in back to back weeks isn't more impressive?
Yeah, that was impressive. But they were pretty fortunate to beat us, if we weren't so incompetent we would've won that one. Coulda, shoulda, woulda though.
ncskinsfanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:58 AM   #38
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,520
Re: Does the Eagles run remind you of anything???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
It might have something to do with how well that playoff run carried over this year.
According to most that shouldn't matter though. Last year is last year, this year is this year. Just ask the Steelers, Panthers, Giants, etc., what last year means now.

By that logic I guess the 1991 season should be tainted by what happened in 1992.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:33 AM   #39
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Does the Eagles run remind you of anything???

That '92 team still made the playoffs. There's absolutely no comparison between that squad and the '06 collection of bozos.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:45 AM   #40
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,520
Re: Does the Eagles run remind you of anything???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
That '92 team still made the playoffs. There's absolutely no comparison between that squad and the '06 collection of bozos.
I wasn't comparing the two teams... I'm talking about the flawed logic of saying that a down year should somehow taint the accomplishments of the year before.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:43 AM   #41
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Does the Eagles run remind you of anything???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I wasn't comparing the two teams... I'm talking about the flawed logic of saying that a down year should somehow taint the accomplishments of the year before.
And I'm saying that the 5-0 run last year was an anomoly, a facade. There has been no resemblance of that team before or after. I think there were fortunate teams lined up for us, -- some of them with key players that were missing, Marc Bulger, Donovan McNabb, Brian Westbrook -- and in some of those games we had to mount a comeback to win.

To me, those circumstances, and the state we find ourselves in now can somewhat diminish the accomplishments of '05. It tells me that the blip on the radar screen that was the famed 5-0 run was just that -- a blip. It ultimately had no impact on what this team truly is, or where it's headed.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:57 AM   #42
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,520
Re: Does the Eagles run remind you of anything???

I still fail to see how you can draw any direct comparisons between two completely different teams and circumstances. Last year this was a good team. Good enough to win 6 in a row including the playoffs, good enough to go 5-1 in the division. Two feats that aren't exactly earned by luck in this league. Last year is what it is, a good season. Why can't we just evaluate this season based on this season? Last year really doesn't have anything to do with this year.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:57 PM   #43
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Does the Eagles run remind you of anything???

So what youíre saying is, there can never be any reasonable expectation of improvement from one season to the next? If I recall correctly, your prediction for the year was 11-5, then you downgraded that after watching the preseason and looking at our schedule. Upon what did you base those expectations?

Hereís my basic point: If a sick, twisted, vicious, psychotic serial murderer one day decides to help an old lady cross the street, it doesnít change who he really is. Heís still a sick, twisted, vicious, psychotic serial murderer.

Similarly, the Redskins, despite that 5-0 run last year, were 11-16 before, and are 5-10 since. Remember the serial murderer parallel. Even when you include that oh-so wondrous playoff run, they will finish 22-26 at best over the last three seasons, or 21-27 if they lose to the Giants. Though sprinkled with occasional success, either way you slice it, thatís the mark of losers.

You and I will probably go to our graves with this -- you say they were a good team last year; I say they were good enough to take advantage of weakling opponents and fortunate events by the skin of their teeth. I'm not saying they were garbage. They just weren't all they were cracked up to be, and maybe our hopes this season were based on a false premise.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:10 PM   #44
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Does the Eagles run remind you of anything???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
So what youíre saying is, there can never be any reasonable expectation of improvement from one season to the next? If I recall correctly, your prediction for the year was 11-5, then you downgraded that after watching the preseason and looking at our schedule. Upon what did you base those expectations?

Hereís my basic point: If a sick, twisted, vicious, psychotic serial murderer one day decides to help an old lady cross the street, it doesnít change who he really is. Heís still a sick, twisted, vicious, psychotic serial murderer.

Similarly, the Redskins, despite that 5-0 run last year, were 11-16 before, and are 5-10 since. Remember the serial murderer parallel. Even when you include that oh-so wondrous playoff run, they will finish 22-26 at best over the last three seasons, or 21-27 if they lose to the Giants. Though sprinkled with occasional success, either way you slice it, thatís the mark of losers.

You and I will probably go to our graves with this -- you say they were a good team last year; I say they were good enough to take advantage of weakling opponents and fortunate events by the skin of their teeth. I'm not saying they were garbage. They just weren't all they were cracked up to be, and maybe our hopes this season were based on a false premise.
Let's say it all was a fluke...so what? They still did what they did. You can't take that away from them. Last year, some things went our way and we ended up with a good record. This year, some things have not gone our way and we will end up with a poor record. That's the ups and downs of the NFL. You can't tell me Pittsburgh was the best team last year, you can't! But they won it all! So while they weren't the best team, they played the best and had things go their way. That's football. As poor as our team has been, had we had just a handful of plays go our way, we'd be in the playoffs. That's football. Had Campbell had a full season under center, we'd have a better record, had we not been decimated with injuries, we'd be better. That's football. I feel we underacheived last year, so a 10-6 record was not what we were capable of, but about what we were overall. This year, the way we've played we deserve our 5-6 win season, cause that's the way we've played. Oh well. You can't compare the two seasons, they are totally different.
Should Pittsburgh's superbowl be taken away because they sucked this year? That is just the most flawed logic I've ever heard. You can't expect momentum to carry over from season to season, it never does. Ask all the previous superbowl winners minus the patriots.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:24 PM   #45
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,520
Re: Does the Eagles run remind you of anything???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
So what youíre saying is, there can never be any reasonable expectation of improvement from one season to the next? If I recall correctly, your prediction for the year was 11-5, then you downgraded that after watching the preseason and looking at our schedule. Upon what did you base those expectations?

Hereís my basic point: If a sick, twisted, vicious, psychotic serial murderer one day decides to help an old lady cross the street, it doesnít change who he really is. Heís still a sick, twisted, vicious, psychotic serial murderer.

Similarly, the Redskins, despite that 5-0 run last year, were 11-16 before, and are 5-10 since. Remember the serial murderer parallel. Even when you include that oh-so wondrous playoff run, they will finish 22-26 at best over the last three seasons, or 21-27 if they lose to the Giants. Though sprinkled with occasional success, either way you slice it, thatís the mark of losers.

You and I will probably go to our graves with this -- you say they were a good team last year; I say they were good enough to take advantage of weakling opponents and fortunate events by the skin of their teeth. I'm not saying they were garbage. They just weren't all they were cracked up to be, and maybe our hopes this season were based on a false premise.
The analogy is cute but it doesn't account for the fact that this is not the same exact team that did what they did last year and totally different circumstances. We have a new offense, new players, a new QB now, different injuries, different schedule, and on and on. Your serial killer is a different person.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33262 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25