Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


ESPN: Archuleta: 'I don't like getting lied to'

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2006, 10:58 AM   #61
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,836
Re: ESPN: Archuleta: 'I don't like getting lied to'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSkins! View Post
They did for Randle El. He was brought in to be a situational guy that they hoped could be made into a number three receiver, and payed the same.
Yeah, but with ARE you had a multi-dimensional guy who could impact the offense in several different ways, which was especially important given what Saunders was trying to implement. I'm not saying they didn't overpay, but at least it was clear from the start what they were going to use him for. If you bring in a safety to be a blitz specialist, you are insane. While I concede they clearly they are insane, it still doesn't make any sense to suggest that the brought Arch in for this purpose, because they ended up using him in coverage and benched him when it became clear how bad he was at that. If he was really brought in to be a blitzer, why doesn't he get on the field on blitzing downs? Why doesn't he get on the field at all? Obviously it's because he can't cover, and because his skill set is below what they expected. People make it sound as if Proileau starting in the opener was part of the plan, and I'm sorry, the front office is crazy and stupid but not so crazy and stupid as to pay 10 mil in guaranteed money for a backup safety.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-29-2006, 11:06 AM   #62
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: ESPN: Archuleta: 'I don't like getting lied to'

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
Yeah, but with ARE you had a multi-dimensional guy who could impact the offense in several different ways, which was especially important given what Saunders was trying to implement. I'm not saying they didn't overpay, but at least it was clear from the start what they were going to use him for. If you bring in a safety to be a blitz specialist, you are insane. While I concede they clearly they are insane, it still doesn't make any sense to suggest that the brought Arch in for this purpose, because they ended up using him in coverage and benched him when it became clear how bad he was at that. If he was really brought in to be a blitzer, why doesn't he get on the field on blitzing downs? Why doesn't he get on the field at all? Obviously it's because he can't cover, and because his skill set is below what they expected. People make it sound as if Proileau starting in the opener was part of the plan, and I'm sorry, the front office is crazy and stupid but not so crazy and stupid as to pay 10 mil in guaranteed money for a backup safety.
I agree with you on your point about Prielou (this guy has the hardest damn name to spell!). If anyone thinks they had him slated as a starter when the season started, I don't think so.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:30 AM   #63
Impact Rookie
 
Bill B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 721
Re: ESPN: Archuleta: 'I don't like getting lied to'

Well at least we only have to live one more game with him wearing the burgundy and gold. I want players here who have a desire to wear the burgundy and gold with pride. I would think on the pro level hand holding is not a requirement and most players are smart enough to figure out they are not playing up to standards and have to do something about it - heck my high school coach never had to address us verbally - it was all right on film when we reviewed it together as a team.
Let hope if the Redskins have to go out and pay a lot of money to replace AA they get someone with coverage skills in mind first and run stuffing ability second.
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:41 AM   #64
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: ESPN: Archuleta: 'I don't like getting lied to'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B View Post
Well at least we only have to live one more game with him wearing the burgundy and gold. I want players here who have a desire to wear the burgundy and gold with pride. I would think on the pro level hand holding is not a requirement and most players are smart enough to figure out they are not playing up to standards and have to do something about it - heck my high school coach never had to address us verbally - it was all right on film when we reviewed it together as a team.
Let hope if the Redskins have to go out and pay a lot of money to replace AA they get someone with coverage skills in mind first and run stuffing ability second.
I don't think Arch is asking anybody to hold his hand, where did you get that from? And I might add, I wouldn't question his committment to the Burgundy and Gold either, he's just asking for the common courtesy of being told one thing or another...anything in fact. Remember, we knocked on his door and asked him to cancel his flight to Chicago.

It's the lack of communication between players and coaches that has obviously been one of the many downfalls of this franchise for the last several years. We don't talk to the media, and appearantly we don't talk to the players either. How can you succeed in that environment?

If he was the first to come up with this type of story, then you'd have to say, okay this is an isolated incident with Arch and the staff. No biggie, let's move on without this guy.

The more this story unfolds, the more it's playing out like LaVar's bitter departure.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:51 AM   #65
The Starter
 
wolfeskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: chesapeake,va.
Posts: 2,160
Re: ESPN: Archuleta: 'I don't like getting lied to'

AA needs no explanation from the coaches as to why he was benched. here is how it probably went.

GW- "ok adam, i want you to cover player 0,just keep him in front of you, no matter what, just keep him in front of you. if he catches the ball, make the tackle".

GW probably told this to AA a thousand times.

AA- "ok coach, i got it. player 0 will not get past me"!

what happens in the game? AA constantly lets player 0 get past him.

AA gets benched, no explanation needed.
__________________
Hail to Allen/Shanahan .... bring in some baby hogs and load up on diesel fuel !!! (budw38)
wolfeskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:10 PM   #66
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: ESPN: Archuleta: 'I don't like getting lied to'

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
Yeah, but with ARE you had a multi-dimensional guy who could impact the offense in several different ways, which was especially important given what Saunders was trying to implement. I'm not saying they didn't overpay, but at least it was clear from the start what they were going to use him for. If you bring in a safety to be a blitz specialist, you are insane. While I concede they clearly they are insane, it still doesn't make any sense to suggest that the brought Arch in for this purpose, because they ended up using him in coverage and benched him when it became clear how bad he was at that. If he was really brought in to be a blitzer, why doesn't he get on the field on blitzing downs? Why doesn't he get on the field at all? Obviously it's because he can't cover, and because his skill set is below what they expected. People make it sound as if Proileau starting in the opener was part of the plan, and I'm sorry, the front office is crazy and stupid but not so crazy and stupid as to pay 10 mil in guaranteed money for a backup safety.


Archuleta was not brought in to be just a third down safety. He was to be an overall part of the defensive rotation with emphasis placed on his ability to blitz the QB, not just on third down. They invisioned using him much like they did Matt Bowen before he got hurt. Bowen was not that great at coverage either, but the way GW uses his secondary people, they are in many instances interchangable depending on the defense and based on down, and distance. His safeties would blitz throughtout the course of the game. If you recall the GW defense of 04, they were a blitz machine, not limited to any particular down. Had not we sustained so many injuries in the secondary so early in the year, maybe we could have gotten more use out of Archuleta because they would have been able to use him the way they had origionally intended too.

If you want to credit the stupidity to anyone in particular, you can lay it at the feet of GW. He's the one who wanted him, and with his knowledge of defense, he also knew he was "not" a cover guy, and he knew it before he came here.
__________________
A revolution is coming and it will be televised.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:24 PM   #67
Impact Rookie
 
Bill B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 721
Re: ESPN: Archuleta: 'I don't like getting lied to'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I don't think Arch is asking anybody to hold his hand, where did you get that from? And I might add, I wouldn't question his committment to the Burgundy and Gold either, he's just asking for the common courtesy of being told one thing or another...anything in fact. Remember, we knocked on his door and asked him to cancel his flight to Chicago.

It's the lack of communication between players and coaches that has obviously been one of the many downfalls of this franchise for the last several years. We don't talk to the media, and appearantly we don't talk to the players either. How can you succeed in that environment?

If he was the first to come up with this type of story, then you'd have to say, okay this is an isolated incident with Arch and the staff. No biggie, let's move on without this guy.

The more this story unfolds, the more it's playing out like LaVar's bitter departure.
Why would talking to the media make the organization any better? Sure it would give us fans more insight but just because one talks to the media doesn't make the entity any better. What is wrong with trying to keep issues in house and thus avoiding a media circus?
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:34 PM   #68
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: ESPN: Archuleta: 'I don't like getting lied to'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B View Post
Why would talking to the media make the organization any better? Sure it would give us fans more insight but just because one talks to the media doesn't make the entity any better. What is wrong with trying to keep issues in house and thus avoiding a media circus?
Maybe I didn't make my point clearly. I'n saying we should vent everything to the media and make a big deal out of it. What I'm saying is it looks like we don't communicate well in public or private.

If we're keeping so much 'in house', how come AA wasn't a part of those in house conversations about his standing with the team? To be clear, I'm not saying Gibbs or Williams should be kissing Archuletta's a**. But he was brought here under the guise of being a very intregal part of the defense and then is relegated to riding the pine.

My issue with all of this, isn't really about AA or whoever, it's just that this seems to be a re-ocurring thing with the Skins. Personally, I hope he's gone next year.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:39 PM   #69
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 33
Posts: 17,594
Re: ESPN: Archuleta: 'I don't like getting lied to'

He's just going to laugh all the way to the bank and his wife's cooch.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:44 PM   #70
Special Teams
 
Blue Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tampa
Posts: 176
Re: ESPN: Archuleta: 'I don't like getting lied to'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncskinsfanec View Post
Happy trails you overpaid underachiever!! I don't like guys who don't live up to a fat contract!!
which is a common thing when players get signed to the Redskins.
Blue Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:45 PM   #71
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 33
Posts: 17,594
Re: ESPN: Archuleta: 'I don't like getting lied to'

Everyone says that about the Redskins, but you can easily say that about a lot of other teams draft picks as well. Tomato, tomatoe.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:47 PM   #72
The Starter
 
wolfeskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: chesapeake,va.
Posts: 2,160
Re: ESPN: Archuleta: 'I don't like getting lied to'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
which is a common thing when players get signed to the Redskins.

sad but true.
__________________
Hail to Allen/Shanahan .... bring in some baby hogs and load up on diesel fuel !!! (budw38)
wolfeskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:50 PM   #73
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,023
Re: ESPN: Archuleta: 'I don't like getting lied to'

Not really... the failures are just more memorable.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:51 PM   #74
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: ESPN: Archuleta: 'I don't like getting lied to'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
which is a common thing when players get signed to the Redskins.
Kinda like T.O. How's he working out for you? Causing any distractions lately?
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:58 PM   #75
Special Teams
 
Blue Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tampa
Posts: 176
Re: ESPN: Archuleta: 'I don't like getting lied to'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
Kinda like T.O. How's he working out for you? Causing any distractions lately?
there both are causing distractions but ones produced and the other has well regressed

the 10 million dollar signing bonus of TO came with 70+ catches, 12 TDs, and 1000+ yards with two games missed worked out ok, could of been better.

the 10 million dollar signing bonus of archuleta got you blow coverage, missed tackles, 1 pass defended, and 1 sack and a hitter for special teams, which worked out terrible.
Blue Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32502 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25