Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Would You Want Cowher To Replace Gibbs?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2007, 08:36 PM   #31
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Would You Want Cowher To Replace Gibbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncskinsfanec View Post
You people just make me want to knock my head against the wall! Fire Gibbs, are you kidding me???? You are the most unpatient people in the world!!! Why don't you people take a deep breath, okay. Have a little faith in a man who's been to the promised land three times and to the second round of the playoffs last year! This year was bad but let's have a little faith here folks!! Cowher is a very good coach, but he's no Joe Gibbs! Now if you say Cowher could take over for Gibbs once he retires again, then it might be a thought then. As far as I'm concerned Gibbs can stay with the Redskins for life, he's darn well earned it!!! I guess most of you people are either too young are too stupid to remember or realize what a darn good coach he is!!


You must not forget (because I'm sure you're old enough to remember) during Gibbs's first tenure here when he was winning super bowls, he was blessed with one of the greatest front office's ever assembled. We had a great owner (one of the wisest men in the sports world), plus, for most of his tenure, he had one of the best GM's assembling his talent for him.

Please don't get me wrong, I love Joe Gibbs, and there's no one I can think of at this moment I'd rather have coaching the team. However, I think where Gibbs is catching most of the flack from, is his atempt at being both coach & GM. Many choose to believe he would not be critisized in the manner in which he has been if he were just "the "coach". What they're saying is, they prefer Joe Gibbs the coach, as opposed to Joe Gibbs the personell man.

As far as I'm concerned Gibbs could coach the team for life because he has earned it. However, if you recall, we have heard him on more than one ocasion say "the past does not buy you anything"...........up here.....
__________________
A revolution is coming and it will be televised.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-02-2007, 09:16 PM   #32
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,499
Re: Would You Want Cowher To Replace Gibbs?

I'm hearing alot of "we don't want to have Joe Gibbs fired, but ...." and then "remember, he had a great front office, a great GM..."

This to me is saying Gibbs isn't the problem, so why get rid of the person who ISN'T the problem? If getting a GM is the life line to our next glory years, then just do that. If Gibbs can't get it all done himself, nobody else will be able to. Why? Because it's saying no matter how good the coach is, if he doesn't have a good front office with a GM, he's not going to be successful.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:39 PM   #33
JUST LIVIN
 
htownskinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: houston,tx
Age: 52
Posts: 3,396
Re: Would You Want Cowher To Replace Gibbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
I'm hearing alot of "we don't want to have Joe Gibbs fired, but ...." and then "remember, he had a great front office, a great GM..."

This to me is saying Gibbs isn't the problem, so why get rid of the person who ISN'T the problem? If getting a GM is the life line to our next glory years, then just do that. If Gibbs can't get it all done himself, nobody else will be able to. Why? Because it's saying no matter how good the coach is, if he doesn't have a good front office with a GM, he's not going to be successful.
well thats a great thought but its not going to happen,gibbs is going to try to straighten this mess up himself,as far as cowher is concerned,if we still suck next yr and we havent hired a gm and gibbs doesnt step down,if cowher wants the job I'm for firing gibbs to hire cowher,i dont think Snyder would fire gibbs though
preferably I would rather have Joe finish out his contract with winning seasons,a new gm who hires cowher when gibbs tenure is over
__________________
Ho
Lee
Chit
htownskinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:46 PM   #34
Special Teams
 
ncskinsfanec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 432
Re: Would You Want Cowher To Replace Gibbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
You must not forget (because I'm sure you're old enough to remember) during Gibbs's first tenure here when he was winning super bowls, he was blessed with one of the greatest front office's ever assembled. We had a great owner (one of the wisest men in the sports world), plus, for most of his tenure, he had one of the best GM's assembling his talent for him.

Please don't get me wrong, I love Joe Gibbs, and there's no one I can think of at this moment I'd rather have coaching the team. However, I think where Gibbs is catching most of the flack from, is his atempt at being both coach & GM. Many choose to believe he would not be critisized in the manner in which he has been if he were just "the "coach". What they're saying is, they prefer Joe Gibbs the coach, as opposed to Joe Gibbs the personell man.

As far as I'm concerned Gibbs could coach the team for life because he has earned it. However, if you recall, we have heard him on more than one ocasion say "the past does not buy you anything"...........up here.....
Great post! Yes, Daniel Synder can't hold a candle to Jack Kent Cooke, everyone can certainly agree about that, and Vinny Cerato isn't even in Bobby Bethard's league. I agree totally that Gibbs probably isn't nearly the GM or Team President (what have you) that he is coach. In that regard I agree that some of his personnel decisions have been questionable at times. Cut him a little slack though, he has also made some pretty good decisions as well, Campbell appears to be working well, Randle-El's pretty good, and Portis was a great pick-up, just to name a few. I think adding an accomplished GM would make Gibbs job much less stressful though. Great to hear from someone who knows what he's talking about too, very refreshing!
ncskinsfanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:58 PM   #35
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
Re: Would You Want Cowher To Replace Gibbs?

Would I want Cowher to replace Gibbs? Well, not yet. If Cowher is out of coaching in 2007 and comes back in 2008, I would say hell yes, IF and only IF Gibbs has another losing season next year. Three losing seasons in four years would be enough proof to me that this league passed him by and it just isn't working. Also, it seems to me that Cowher's biggest issue with the Steelers at this point is money. He's only 49 years old, and wins consistently despite the Rooney's not shelling out big money for players. You know damn well Snyder would give him any salary he wanted if Gibbs called it quits. I tell you one thing, at this point I sure don't want Saunders or Williams taking over....
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:13 PM   #36
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Would You Want Cowher To Replace Gibbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
I'm hearing alot of "we don't want to have Joe Gibbs fired, but ...." and then "remember, he had a great front office, a great GM..."

This to me is saying Gibbs isn't the problem, so why get rid of the person who ISN'T the problem? If getting a GM is the life line to our next glory years, then just do that. If Gibbs can't get it all done himself, nobody else will be able to. Why? Because it's saying no matter how good the coach is, if he doesn't have a good front office with a GM, he's not going to be successful.


Joe Gibbs the "coach" is not the problem, and we do not want to get rid of Joe Gibbs the "coach". I would not go as far to say he will not be successful, but I am convinced he would not have enjoyed his previous success here as a "coach" had he not had Bobby Bethard, who at the time he arived in Washington was considered one of the very best GM's in the league. Gibbs coached those players, he did not pick them. The main reason why he is being so highly scrutinized during this tenure is not because he is not a good coach, but because he now has a hand in choosing the talent he's coaching, and many feel some of his decisions have left a lot to be desired. I don't know of any football coaches who have doubled as GM and it worked out successfully. If we had a GM, then Gibbs would only have to be blamed for his coaching failures (if indeed he does fail) and not coupled with personell failures as well...........It would have to be Dan Snyder's decision to hire a GM, and based on his past history, that seems highly unlikely.
__________________
A revolution is coming and it will be televised.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:19 PM   #37
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,614
Re: Would You Want Cowher To Replace Gibbs?

Up until this year, Andy Reid doubled as head coach/general manager (actually EVP football operations) for the Eagles. And even though Tom Heckert is the official General Manager now, Reid is apparently still making the personnel calls.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:26 PM   #38
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
Re: Would You Want Cowher To Replace Gibbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS View Post
Up until this year, Andy Reid doubled as head coach/general manager (actually EVP football operations) for the Eagles. And even though Tom Heckert is the official General Manager now, Reid is apparently still making the personnel calls.
But Reid can't ever seem to win the most important games, Shanahan has won all of 1 playoff game since Elway retired, and Holmgren had mediocre teams while acting as GM in Seattle. The year they stripped him of his GM duties? They won the NFC Championship, and save for some AWFUL calls should have been Super Bowl Champs. The overall track record of coach/GM isn't a good one. Gibbs put his ego aside when he brought in Saunders to "modernize" the offense. He should use that same humility with the personnel decisions.
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:34 PM   #39
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,614
Re: Would You Want Cowher To Replace Gibbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
But Reid can't ever seem to win the most important games, Shanahan has won all of 1 playoff game since Elway retired, and Holmgren had mediocre teams while acting as GM in Seattle. The year they stripped him of his GM duties? They won the NFC Championship, and save for some AWFUL calls should have been Super Bowl Champs. The overall track record of coach/GM isn't a good one. Gibbs put his ego aside when he brought in Saunders to "modernize" the offense. He should use that same humility with the personnel decisions.
Only one team each year wins the most important game. I understand the argument for splitting the coach/GM responsibilities. All I'm saying is a lot of people say it never works (and at the same time talk about what a great organization Philly is) so I just wanted to point out their structure. A lot of us would kill to have the "success" the Eagles have had the past five years.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:36 PM   #40
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: Would You Want Cowher To Replace Gibbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
Joe Gibbs the "coach" is not the problem, and we do not want to get rid of Joe Gibbs the "coach". I would not go as far to say he will not be successful, but I am convinced he would not have enjoyed his previous success here as a "coach" had he not had Bobby Bethard, who at the time he arived in Washington was considered one of the very best GM's in the league. Gibbs coached those players, he did not pick them. The main reason why he is being so highly scrutinized during this tenure is not because he is not a good coach, but because he now has a hand in choosing the talent he's coaching, and many feel some of his decisions have left a lot to be desired. I don't know of any football coaches who have doubled as GM and it worked out successfully. If we had a GM, then Gibbs would only have to be blamed for his coaching failures (if indeed he does fail) and not coupled with personell failures as well...........It would have to be Dan Snyder's decision to hire a GM, and based on his past history, that seems highly unlikely.

LTF, I admire your loyalty first of al. But this 'aint the 80s, and Gibbs can't stay for as long as he wants. And you better bet your bottom dollar that if he doesn't turn it around next year, all the way around, chances are he won't be back.

Today's culture in the NFL is about the now. We just watched two coaches get canned, and Sabin is waffling only after two seasons. Tom Couglin is one the hot seat too, and may have bought himself another season, but that's it.

And please, for the love of God, let's stop bashing Snyder. He's receded into the background and let these guys make the major decisions regarding the team, the system and so forth. So in my mind, he's not entirely responsible for the current debacle.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:17 AM   #41
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,571
Re: Would You Want Cowher To Replace Gibbs?

I would not want Cowher in DC. I think he's an overrated coach that has benefitted from a very stable organization (which the Skins are not). Also his message gets old and the team tunes out. I have read many articles saying that it was bettis that got & kept the team going last year (all the way to the super bowl). Forget Cowher, the skins need to give someone new a chance.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:35 AM   #42
Special Teams
 
Dogtag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dumfries, VA
Age: 61
Posts: 238
Re: Would You Want Cowher To Replace Gibbs?

Should Cowher replace Coach JG? NO.

Would Cowher make a good Redskins Head Coach (under favorable hiring conditions)? Yes.
Dogtag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:10 PM   #43
Special Teams
 
brent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 113
Re: Would You Want Cowher To Replace Gibbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
I would not want Cowher in DC. I think he's an overrated coach that has benefitted from a very stable organization (which the Skins are not). Also his message gets old and the team tunes out. I have read many articles saying that it was bettis that got & kept the team going last year (all the way to the super bowl). Forget Cowher, the skins need to give someone new a chance.
That's different from Gibbs how??? Gibbs always found his core "real Redskins" and let them lead the team. Somehow, this didn't happen under his second watch and its costing us. He talks the talk, but they aren't walking the walk. Some of this is free agency, but more of it is the Redskins approach to free agency, which is different than any other team in the league.
brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:13 PM   #44
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: Would You Want Cowher To Replace Gibbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent View Post
That's different from Gibbs how??? Gibbs always found his core "real Redskins" and let them lead the team. Somehow, this didn't happen under his second watch and its costing us. He talks the talk, but they aren't walking the walk. Some of this is free agency, but more of it is the Redskins approach to free agency, which is different than any other team in the league.

We could have kept Clark, Smoot, and Pierce...hell I'll throw Robert Royal in there who's season was ten times better than Fauria.

So all this 'Core Redskins' stuff is rhetoric.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:59 PM   #45
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Would You Want Cowher To Replace Gibbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
LTF, I admire your loyalty first of al. But this 'aint the 80s, and Gibbs can't stay for as long as he wants. And you better bet your bottom dollar that if he doesn't turn it around next year, all the way around, chances are he won't be back.

Today's culture in the NFL is about the now. We just watched two coaches get canned, and Sabin is waffling only after two seasons. Tom Couglin is one the hot seat too, and may have bought himself another season, but that's it.

And please, for the love of God, let's stop bashing Snyder. He's receded into the background and let these guys make the major decisions regarding the team, the system and so forth. So in my mind, he's not entirely responsible for the current debacle.


12thMan I respect your opinion, and appreciate you taking to time to respond to my post, however your response has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. Read what I said, and read what you said in response and that should give you a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about.

I will however, respond to a couple of points you make; Tom Coughlin, and Lou Saban cannot be mentioned in the same breath as Joe Gibbs, neither has been enshrined in Canton. Joe Gibbs will walk away under his own terms, and not because he will be fired.......As for Dan Snyder, he still plays a very integral part in the acquisition of players, he's not as visible, or available to the media, but he quietly works behind the scene.
__________________
A revolution is coming and it will be televised.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.35962 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25