Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Rumored Portis Trade offered FROM! the Lions

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2007, 05:48 PM   #76
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,789
Re: Rumored Portis Trade offered FROM! the Lions

I think it's important to keep in mind that these are just rumors. And even if they have some modicum of truth to them they're all about what the Lions are offering. No where has any mention been made that the Redskins are actively shopping Portis.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-05-2007, 06:38 PM   #77
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,507
Re: Rumored Portis Trade offered FROM! the Lions

Setting aside the fact that it is just a rumor. I think the fact that Betts has been a Redskin longer than Portis will help prevent morale loss. The team seemed just as excited having him back there as they did with Portis. I don't think it's going to be a morale killer trading him for team needs.

Once again, I don't want him to be traded unless the deal is just too sweet to pass up.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:09 PM   #78
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 3,088
Re: Rumored Portis Trade offered FROM! the Lions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
Setting aside the fact that it is just a rumor. I think the fact that Betts has been a Redskin longer than Portis will help prevent morale loss. The team seemed just as excited having him back there as they did with Portis. I don't think it's going to be a morale killer trading him for team needs.

Once again, I don't want him to be traded unless the deal is just too sweet to pass up.
But see the problem I have with that is, what constitutes "too good to pass up." They can try to spin it that way if they want to. They could act like Domanick Williams (formerly Davis) and a 3rd round draft pick was too good to pass up. Might now work, but now, think about the fact the fact that they control much of the media that covers them and it just might work.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:09 PM   #79
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,607
Re: Rumored Portis Trade offered FROM! the Lions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
Detroit could use Clinton Portis. Kevin Jones is a serviceable running back, but I don't know that I would call him "good." I think part of the problem he has is a pretty weak O Line. Also, he's never played 16 games and the past 2 years he's had his seasons cut short. Still, he only ran for 1000+ in his rookie season, since then, he hasn't cracked 700 yards. I think that's a pretty decent indictment of him.

Also, when one of the better running backs in the NFL is perceived to be available, everyone should be showing interest short of San Diego and KC. I'm not really all that surprised by the fact that the Lions would come after him and if I'm Washington, and actually looking to deal Portis, I would have to look twice at Bly and the 2nd overall. Then, they would have filled a need at corner (albeit a relatively old one) and have 2 picks in the top 6. They could shop for those or draft whoever they want.

All that said, I'm gonna be insanely pissed if Clinton Portis gets traded this offseason. I will be irrate and wish I could turn off the love of the team.

Finally, anyone think maybe Clinton rubbed the organization the wrong way with that interview? I don't mind what he said, but maybe Joe Gibbs/Cerrato/Snyder/Saunders did and might be a little more open to trading him than they were before.

One other quick thing, just because Joe Gibbs categorically denied that they're trading Clinton holds very little water with me. He also said, going into the 05(?) draft that "we're gonna go get Patrick Ramsey some weapons" and then they picked Rogers and Campbell.
I think he has rubbed some people the wrong way bitching about preseason. He also does not like to practice, lift weights and do the whole OTA thing. He just wants to train in South Beach which you know pisses off Gibbs. Gibbs likes the players around Redskin Park. How does it look if your best player isn't there busting his ass to set an example? I bet JC will be there. But he performs so they deal with it. So I think there is some truth to these rumors. But I don't think he's going anywhere. I hope we don't trade him either. But if the right deal comes along where the defense can be improved right away I would pull the trigger.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:06 AM   #80
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Rumored Portis Trade offered FROM! the Lions

Here's another reason why trading Portis will never happen...

Portis and Brunell were Joe Gibbs' first two original signings when he came back to be the head coach. In his mind, they were the two pillars of a foundation Gibbs had to build from in order to turn this team around. It took an unimaginable sequence of events to get Gibbs to realize that one of his personally hand-selected acquistions, Mark Brunell, ultimately didn't live up to expectations.

On the other hand, one can certainly argue that that his other selection, Clinton Portis was, all-in-all, a good move, and had it not been for him, the win totals for the first three seasons of Gibbs 2.0 might have been considerably less.

So you're trying to tell me that Gibbs would willingly trade away the more successful and more valuable of his two, hand-selected guys -- when the whole world knew that Brunell was a disaster, and Gibbs wouldn't hear of it?

Ain't gonna happen folks.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:19 AM   #81
Playmaker
 
celts32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hackettstown NJ
Age: 43
Posts: 2,656
Re: Rumored Portis Trade offered FROM! the Lions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
Agreed,

With that said, how juicy does the pot have to get before it's okay to deal him out? Are there any teams that can meet that?
Juicy pot? When in recent memory have the redskins ever been the recipient of a juicy pot? They always seem to be the ones doing the sweetening.

I am alright with trading him if we get a lot back...I don't consider Dre Bly and a swap of 1st rounders to be a lot for a 26 year old 1500 yard RB.
__________________
Section 115 Row 23

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

http://victorybeer.com/
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:28 AM   #82
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,507
Re: Rumored Portis Trade offered FROM! the Lions

The last juicy pot deal came courtesy of Ditka. Of course the results of that deal never yielded a championship.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:44 PM   #83
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Rumored Portis Trade offered FROM! the Lions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
Yes, because he doesn't run the football well. They could go with Portis and Jones just like Washington would be doing with Betts and Portis. I'm not saying Jones never has to see the field again. I'm saying Clinton's better.

I'm not buying your argument that Jones is a better option cause he had a better season THIS year. Betts catches a lot of balls out of the backfield too, but Clinton still carried the load.

He managed to get 1 more touchdown than Clinton in 4 more games this season. He also ran for all of 166 more yards. Clinton wasn't even all that active when he was healthy this year. Clinton is a WAY better back. Clinton's also only 1 year older. The only thing Kevin Jones does better than Clinton is catch balls outta the backfield.

If I'm Detroit I don't know that I'd offer Bly and the #2 overall for Clinton, but I would definitely make a run at him. Kevin Jones doesn't stay on the field consistently and he doesn't run nearly as well. He could be a third down guy who can go catch balls or run some draw plays. I mean really, the guy would be a really good #2 back, but I don't even think he's as good as Ladell Betts, let alone Clinton Portis.
A lot to comment on here, so I'll try to keep it short.
First off, I do not beleive for 1 second that Jones is better than Portis. If I sounded that way, it was unintentional.
Second, in terms of running the ball well, Portis only ran for .3 yards per rush better but had a top 5 OL, while the Lions OL was a bottom 5. Also, money means a lot, and Jones is much cheaper, and has fewer miles on his legs. I'm not trying to convince you to agree with a trade or anything, I'm just pointing this out from the Lions perspective. Why trade for an injured player giving up your best CB and your #2 pick when you have a viable back already? That is my whole point.
Would I want Portis over Jones...heck yeah, any day of the week.
Jones has a lot of talent, but has not been able to show it due to lack of talent around him. That's not his fault. Put Portis in that offense, and we'd be saying, damn Portis sucks...it's not true, the OL sucks, but you can't produce as a RB in the NFL without an OL, unless you are Barry Sanders.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:34 PM   #84
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 3,088
Re: Rumored Portis Trade offered FROM! the Lions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
A lot to comment on here, so I'll try to keep it short.
First off, I do not beleive for 1 second that Jones is better than Portis. If I sounded that way, it was unintentional.
Second, in terms of running the ball well, Portis only ran for .3 yards per rush better but had a top 5 OL, while the Lions OL was a bottom 5. Also, money means a lot, and Jones is much cheaper, and has fewer miles on his legs. I'm not trying to convince you to agree with a trade or anything, I'm just pointing this out from the Lions perspective. Why trade for an injured player giving up your best CB and your #2 pick when you have a viable back already? That is my whole point.
Would I want Portis over Jones...heck yeah, any day of the week.
Jones has a lot of talent, but has not been able to show it due to lack of talent around him. That's not his fault. Put Portis in that offense, and we'd be saying, damn Portis sucks...it's not true, the OL sucks, but you can't produce as a RB in the NFL without an OL, unless you are Barry Sanders.

I definitely see your point and they could probably land someone with the #2 pick if they really want another guy to go ahead of Kevin Jones. It seemed like you were just saying that they'd be crazy to take Jones over Portis. I don't think giving up Bly and the #2 overall is a good idea either. If I were Washington, I'd almost have to take it if I didn't love Portis so much.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:08 PM   #85
The Starter
 
backrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 36.28 x 76.22
Age: 62
Posts: 1,812
Re: Rumored Portis Trade offered FROM! the Lions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
The last juicy pot deal came courtesy of Ditka. Of course the results of that deal never yielded a championship.


I love these rumors!

The fact that we were given NO's entire compliment of draft picks for R. Williams that day in order to move backward, had me elated. Then, we got silly, and traded nearly all to move back up for Champ!

Who would have guessed either of those two moves in a rumor? Gentlemen, we had our Herschel Walker-type-deal, and fumbled back out of it!
__________________
'37, '42, '83, '88, '92. Championship!
backrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:40 PM   #86
Special Teams
 
Redskinhog1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: somewhere on this planet
Age: 51
Posts: 178
Re: Rumored Portis Trade offered FROM! the Lions

i can't see portis or betts going to any other teams.gibbs has lost pierce,smoot,and bailey all considered hard core redskins.moss,cooley,randall l,and taylor wo'nt be traded either.
__________________
Parcells' legacy with the Cowboys can be framed this way: Instead of joining Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer as coaches who led them to championships, he leaves lumped with Chan Gailey and Dave Campo.
(ESPN QUOTE)
Redskinhog1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29720 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25