Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Bigger choke: Tony Romo or Phil Mickelson

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2007, 06:32 PM   #46
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,543
Re: Tony Romo or Phil Mickelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncskinsfanec View Post
Okay, I have to hand it to you, you do make good points there. I still don't see anything but a choke though when it comes to Romo messing up that field goal attempt though. What you see as a choke is different than what I see is a choke, obviously. I guess choking is a pretty subjective term though.

On the Gibbs front, I agree that he has made some blunders in the front office, but he made just a few coaching mistakes this year, definitely bringing Al Saunders to run the offense, Gibbs bread and butter, was a huge transition. Like I say to everyone, what happened after that '04 season? Did we not make it to the playoffs that next year? I have faith that the right adjustments will be made just like after that season.
Joe Gibbs is no dummy. I'll give him a pass on 04. But he's got to adopt to today's football a little better. I hope to see more of a diverse offense next year. I'm going to watch this thing on NFL Netowrk on Fri. about the 91 Skins and remember the good old days.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-08-2007, 06:39 PM   #47
Special Teams
 
ncskinsfanec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 432
Re: Tony Romo or Phil Mickelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Joe Gibbs is no dummy. I'll give him a pass on 04. But he's got to adopt to today's football a little better. I hope to see more of a diverse offense next year. I'm going to watch this thing on NFL Netowrk on Fri. about the 91 Skins and remember the good old days.
I think he'll adapt and I think he's been adapting, hopefully this season was just a fluke, if the team could have won just of few of those real close games they played (I can count at least five) we wouldn't be having this discussion. But, it is what it is. I think next season will be much better.
ncskinsfanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:53 PM   #48
Special Teams
 
brent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 113
Re: Tony Romo or Phil Mickelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
The reason Glenn's was a catch is because he had full control of the ball and did not use the ground to catch or trap the ball. He just lost his balance and while controlling the ball used it for balance. If it was shifting or moving in his hands at any time it would have been ruled as incomplete and he had already taken a step before it had touched the ground.
I don't think he had control prior to it hitting the ground. It looked to me like he was actively dropping it, it hits the ground, and then he wraps his hands around it. Do you hold balls really well when you are slipping to the ground? Probably not. The idea that he had control prior to it hitting the ground does not seem beyond question to me. I don't even know that Parcells specifically challenged that aspect of it because he challenged it so quickly. If Parcells only challenges the fumble, and not the catch, was the catch itself ever reviewed?

Probably worse was a WR fumble in the first half. There is no way the guy made a football move before the ball came out, yet Parcells never challenged it. The play's forgotten because it didn't result in any points, but I seriously doubt that was a real turnover.

The Cowboys receivers were flatout awful catching the ball. Even the QB dropped the ball. I'll concede most of Romo's throws were not perfect, but you'd think maybe the wide receivers would try and catch them anyway?

So, does Romo call in sick for Hawaii? I'd suggest that.
brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:25 PM   #49
Special Teams
 
ncskinsfanec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 432
Re: Tony Romo or Phil Mickelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent View Post
I don't think he had control prior to it hitting the ground. It looked to me like he was actively dropping it, it hits the ground, and then he wraps his hands around it. Do you hold balls really well when you are slipping to the ground? Probably not. The idea that he had control prior to it hitting the ground does not seem beyond question to me. I don't even know that Parcells specifically challenged that aspect of it because he challenged it so quickly. If Parcells only challenges the fumble, and not the catch, was the catch itself ever reviewed?

Probably worse was a WR fumble in the first half. There is no way the guy made a football move before the ball came out, yet Parcells never challenged it. The play's forgotten because it didn't result in any points, but I seriously doubt that was a real turnover.

The Cowboys receivers were flatout awful catching the ball. Even the QB dropped the ball. I'll concede most of Romo's throws were not perfect, but you'd think maybe the wide receivers would try and catch them anyway?

So, does Romo call in sick for Hawaii? I'd suggest that.
I think what all these events proves is that Romo was overrated from the get-go. I don't doubt that he'll be a very good QB for years to come (not even close to Manning or Brady territory, though), but he isn't nearly what he was all hyped up to be after that Thanksgiving smackdown the Cowboys laid on the eventual 4-12 Tampa Bay Bucs. Like I saw on one of the sports websites, it was, "The Fall of Romo" Saturday night!
ncskinsfanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:48 PM   #50
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Tony Romo or Phil Mickelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncskinsfanec View Post
I think what all these events proves is that Romo was overrated from the get-go. I don't doubt that he'll be a very good QB for years to come (not even close to Manning or Brady territory, though), but he isn't nearly what he was all hyped up to be after that Thanksgiving smackdown the Cowboys laid on the eventual 4-12 Tampa Bay Bucs. Like I saw on one of the sports websites, it was, "The Fall of Romo" Saturday night!
He was good this year and one isolated event proves nothing. But with that said, his situation reminds me of Jake Delhomme far more than it reminds me of Tom Brady.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:02 PM   #51
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,741
Re: Tony Romo or Phil Mickelson

Choking seems to have been a problem for Dallas teams lately
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:17 PM   #52
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,836
Re: Tony Romo or Phil Mickelson

You know, the most interesting question to me is how both athletes will respond to this. It could go either way for both. If Mickelson never wins another major, or if Homo fails to follow up on the pro-bowl promise of this season, both will be remembered for these respective moments - they will become the defining points of their careers. However, should they respond with successes, these gaffes will only be seen as blips in their larger narratives.

The most interesting thing about sports for me, other than rooting for a certain team, is psychology. Watching how guys perform under the greatest pressure, and the way that things affect them. For example, Nick Anderson misses 3 game winning FT's in the 95 finals and drops from an 80 percent to 50 percent free throw shooter. Peyton Manning is the most dominant regular season QB of his generation, yet he gets in the playoffs and starts throwing balls up for grabs. So I am so curious to watch both of these guys going forward.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:25 PM   #53
Special Teams
 
ncskinsfanec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 432
Re: Tony Romo or Phil Mickelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
You know, the most interesting question to me is how both athletes will respond to this. It could go either way for both. If Mickelson never wins another major, or if Homo fails to follow up on the pro-bowl promise of this season, both will be remembered for these respective moments - they will become the defining points of their careers. However, should they respond with successes, these gaffes will only be seen as blips in their larger narratives.

The most interesting thing about sports for me, other than rooting for a certain team, is psychology. Watching how guys perform under the greatest pressure, and the way that things affect them. For example, Nick Anderson misses 3 game winning FT's in the 95 finals and drops from an 80 percent to 50 percent free throw shooter. Peyton Manning is the most dominant regular season QB of his generation, yet he gets in the playoffs and starts throwing balls up for grabs. So I am so curious to watch both of these guys going forward.
Mickelson is a veteran who's battled adversity like this before, remember he went a long time without ever winning his first major. I suspect he'll overcome his gaffe. Romo, on the other hand, is a young guy who'll have to seriously prove that this gaffe was an exception to the rule. I hope our Skins continue to add to his misery next season, though!
ncskinsfanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:34 PM   #54
Thank You, Sean.
 
Gmanc711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Age: 28
Posts: 7,500
Re: Tony Romo or Phil Mickelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS View Post
Choking seems to have been a problem for Dallas teams lately
WOW thats INSANE!
__________________
#21
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.27751 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25