Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Doug Williams said Wha'?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2007, 07:17 PM   #1
The Starter
 
JGisLordOfTheRings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Richmond VA
Age: 28
Posts: 2,360
Doug Williams said Wha'?

Okay article I found on Yahoo Sports. The last 2 lines are what get me. Just read and discuss.

AP Interview: Doug Williams basks in landmark day for NFL - NFL - Yahoo! Sports
__________________
The redskins pocket is like my love life.....nonexistent and disappointing. -OnceWeWereKings
JGisLordOfTheRings is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-27-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,789
Re: Doug Williams said Wha'?

He talked about this the other day. Just how he was so wrapped up in just being a football player on Super Bowl Sunday and trying to lead his team to victory, that he didn't think of deeper signifance really while he was in the moment. I can understand that.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:40 PM   #3
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,518
Re: Doug Williams said Wha'?

does it really matter what the color of someones skin is? i cheered for doug williams the same way i cheered for jurgey
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:48 PM   #4
The Starter
 
Warpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Potomac Falls, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 1,762
Re: Doug Williams said Wha'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
does it really matter what the color of someones skin is? i cheered for doug williams the same way i cheered for jurgey
Amen. I get frustrated when the media says things like "the first black qb in the superbowl..." or "the first black coach in the superbowl..." can't we just say that this is his first time to the big game and that he is in fact a great player or coach? Why do they continously have to point out the fact that he is black? Did they have to mention that Bart Starr was the first white qb in the superbowl back in 1967? I think not.
It just seems to me that for this country to move forward we need to not even mention what color someone is.
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:24 PM   #5
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Doug Williams said Wha'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpath View Post
Amen. I get frustrated when the media says things like "the first black qb in the superbowl..." or "the first black coach in the superbowl..." can't we just say that this is his first time to the big game and that he is in fact a great player or coach? Why do they continously have to point out the fact that he is black? Did they have to mention that Bart Starr was the first white qb in the superbowl back in 1967? I think not.
It just seems to me that for this country to move forward we need to not even mention what color someone is.
I understand your sentiments and respect them, but I disagree with them. But in my opinion race is still an issue in football. For years many thought that black football players were good at running and catching, but lacked the mental acumen to play QB. That stereotype persists to this day, albeit behind closed doors (I've heard people express as much). That is, IMHO, why you see so many black football players at WR, CB, RB, LB, and along the lines, but not at QB.

The reason why Bart Starr's race was not pointed out was simply because he was white, it was not unusual. The reason why Jackie Robinson's race is pointed out is that he was a trailblazer and dealt with a tremendous amount of adversity on account of his race. While I understand the belief that we shouldn't talk about race, its simply a fact that it does have an impact (albeit less and less of an impact over time as society becomes more tolerant).
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:33 PM   #6
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: Doug Williams said Wha'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
I understand your sentiments and respect them, but I disagree with them. But in my opinion race is still an issue in football. For years many thought that black football players were good at running and catching, but lacked the mental acumen to play QB. That stereotype persists to this day, albeit behind closed doors (I've heard people express as much). That is, IMHO, why you see so many black football players at WR, CB, RB, LB, and along the lines, but not at QB.

The reason why Bart Starr's race was not pointed out was simply because he was white, it was not unusual. The reason why Jackie Robinson's race is pointed out is that he was a trailblazer and dealt with a tremendous amount of adversity on account of his race. While I understand the belief that we shouldn't talk about race, its simply a fact that it does have an impact (albeit less and less of an impact over time as society becomes more tolerant).
Couldn't have said it any better.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:17 PM   #7
Special Teams
 
SkinEmAll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: BillysBurg, Va.
Posts: 489
Re: Doug Williams said Wha'?

Doug Williams is black?
SkinEmAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:18 PM   #8
The Starter
 
JGisLordOfTheRings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Richmond VA
Age: 28
Posts: 2,360
Re: Doug Williams said Wha'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS View Post
He talked about this the other day. Just how he was so wrapped up in just being a football player on Super Bowl Sunday and trying to lead his team to victory, that he didn't think of deeper signifance really while he was in the moment. I can understand that.

When you put it like that, it makes a lot more sense to a stoner like myself. LOL.
__________________
The redskins pocket is like my love life.....nonexistent and disappointing. -OnceWeWereKings
JGisLordOfTheRings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:19 PM   #9
The Starter
 
JGisLordOfTheRings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Richmond VA
Age: 28
Posts: 2,360
Re: Doug Williams said Wha'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinEmAll View Post
Doug Williams is black?

Thats what I said! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA........oh that was great...I would LOVE for someone to say that around me and be totally serious so i could die laughing.
__________________
The redskins pocket is like my love life.....nonexistent and disappointing. -OnceWeWereKings
JGisLordOfTheRings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:23 PM   #10
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,789
Re: Doug Williams said Wha'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGisLordOfTheRings View Post
Thats what I said! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA........oh that was great...I would LOVE for someone to say that around me and be totally serious so i could die laughing.
Look, not to change the subject here but your sig makes no sense:

"I'd run over Russ Grimm's mother to get to the Superbowl too."
-Russ Grimm, on being asked about saying he would run over his own mother to get to the Superbowl

That's Matt Millen's quote (not Russ Grimm's) after Russ Grimm said he'd run over his own mother to win the Super Bowl (SB XVIII)
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:57 PM   #11
Special Teams
 
Skins_4_Lyfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upper Marlboro, MD/Greensboro, NC
Age: 26
Posts: 482
Re: Doug Williams said Wha'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpath View Post
Amen. I get frustrated when the media says things like "the first black qb in the superbowl..." or "the first black coach in the superbowl..." can't we just say that this is his first time to the big game and that he is in fact a great player or coach? Why do they continously have to point out the fact that he is black? Did they have to mention that Bart Starr was the first white qb in the superbowl back in 1967? I think not.
It just seems to me that for this country to move forward we need to not even mention what color someone is.
It's almost routine to make it a news flash when the first African American does anything in this country. I guess it's their way of recognizing the progress that we've made while here; thatís why we have Black History month. It often bothers me too when this is mentioned because it almost seems as if everyone is surprised that an African American has amounted to anything, but at the same time I guess they do it for a cause. It Would be nice to live in a colorless society though.
__________________

Skins_4_Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:54 PM   #12
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,961
Re: Doug Williams said Wha'?

Isn't focusing so much on the fact that Williams was the first black QB in a SB or on the two black coaches this weekend perpetuating the issue of differences between races. I think it is ironic that such an issue is made when what everyone should be striving for is an actual lack of any attention since it shouldn't be big a deal.

To me, celebrating something done by a minority, simply because he or she is a minority, just contributes to the problem be it perceived or not.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:10 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Pocket$ $traight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 4,261
Re: Doug Williams said Wha'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
I understand your sentiments and respect them, but I disagree with them. But in my opinion race is still an issue in football. For years many thought that black football players were good at running and catching, but lacked the mental acumen to play QB. That stereotype persists to this day, albeit behind closed doors (I've heard people express as much). That is, IMHO, why you see so many black football players at WR, CB, RB, LB, and along the lines, but not at QB.

The reason why Bart Starr's race was not pointed out was simply because he was white, it was not unusual. The reason why Jackie Robinson's race is pointed out is that he was a trailblazer and dealt with a tremendous amount of adversity on account of his race. While I understand the belief that we shouldn't talk about race, its simply a fact that it does have an impact (albeit less and less of an impact over time as society becomes more tolerant).
I agree with you but I don't see racism as much concerning QB as much as in the front office and high profile positions (coach/GM). The good thing about the SB this year is that it will most likely break down some of the stereotypes present in the hiring practices. It 10-15 years minority coaches and GM's will be everywhere.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:25 PM   #14
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Doug Williams said Wha'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim21Reaper View Post
I agree with you but I don't see racism as much concerning QB as much as in the front office and high profile positions (coach/GM). The good thing about the SB this year is that it will most likely break down some of the stereotypes present in the hiring practices. It 10-15 years minority coaches and GM's will be everywhere.
Excellent point.

Also, I obviously agree with the general point that it would nice to live in a colorless society. And, to a certain extent, I agree that singling out someone as a minority for special recognition further divides the races.

Nevertheless, I feel that people like Jackie Robinson should be celebrated for their trailblazing. The simple fact is that what we want (i.e. a colorless society) is different from what we've got (i.e. a generally tolerant society, but one in which race does matter).

As I said before, I think there are legitimate arguments on both sides of this debate and I'm happy that we can discuss this civilly and intelligently.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:16 AM   #15
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,789
Re: Doug Williams said Wha'?

While there aren't that many African-American (or Latino or Asian, etc.) front office executives in the NFL, I think it was a relatively good sign that very little to no mention was made of the fact that Jerry Reese is African-American when he was named New York Giants General Manager.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29733 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25