Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Franchising Chris Cooley

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2007, 08:13 PM   #16
Thank You, Sean.
 
Gmanc711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Age: 28
Posts: 7,497
Re: Franchising Chris Cooley

Well theres one other point that people dont make about Cooley/Dockery....and as much as I know WE dont care about it, Cooley sells merchendise, and Dockery dosent. I loved Dock, but I wasent rushing out to buy his jersey. I have a Cooley jersey, I want a captain Chaos shirt, and I flat out would pay money to go see Chris Cooley, I wouldnt for Dockery. Cooley is VERY marketable for this franchise, in fact, I'd say he's one of the 3 most marketable behind Moss/Portis (and maybe now Jason). I really doubt they'd let him walk for that alone, let alone what he does on the feild, which is what I really care about.
__________________
#21
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-04-2007, 08:29 PM   #17
Playmaker
 
celts32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hackettstown NJ
Age: 42
Posts: 2,656
Re: Franchising Chris Cooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent View Post
No, that's flatout inaccurate. People were writing last year the skins would have to cut their top 20 players to get under the cap, didn't happen did it?

The TE franchise tag might not be so bad. Antonio Gates caved on his contract, so that tag should really be higher than it is for the top 5 guys.
Well what's the number if I am "Flat out inacurate"...Is it 5 mil, 6 mil, 7 mil? My point is that the Redskins generally structure contracts backloaded with big bonuses and small early year numbers. When you franchise someone it's a 1 year contract...so whatever the number is that's how much cap room they would need. Franchising goes directly against the way the Redskins structure contracts.

Anyway, Isn't Cooley will only scheduled to be a Restricted Free Agent? He is not in the league 5 years...they would never lose him as a restricted free agent because they can match any deal he gets.
__________________
Section 115 Row 23

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

http://victorybeer.com/
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:41 PM   #18
Special Teams
 
mike340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 57
Posts: 269
Re: Franchising Chris Cooley

As far as marketability goes, I think that "love boat" is gaining...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711 View Post
...Cooley is VERY marketable for this franchise, in fact, I'd say he's one of the 3 most marketable behind Moss/Portis (and maybe now Jason). I really doubt they'd let him walk for that alone, let alone what he does on the feild, which is what I really care about.
mike340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:43 PM   #19
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: Franchising Chris Cooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32 View Post
Well what's the number if I am "Flat out inacurate"...Is it 5 mil, 6 mil, 7 mil? My point is that the Redskins generally structure contracts backloaded with big bonuses and small early year numbers. When you franchise someone it's a 1 year contract...so whatever the number is that's how much cap room they would need. Franchising goes directly against the way the Redskins structure contracts.

Anyway, Isn't Cooley will only scheduled to be a Restricted Free Agent? He is not in the league 5 years...they would never lose him as a restricted free agent because they can match any deal he gets.
Cooley is UFA next season. Only before a players accrues 4 seasons will he be a RFA. 2007 will be Cooley's 4th year in the league.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:47 PM   #20
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,836
Re: Franchising Chris Cooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
that's inaccurate. people were writing we'd have to cut the 20 HIGHEST PAID players (not the best), IF A NEW CBA WAS NOT SIGNED (which it was).

safeties and TEs are cheap to franchises though.

Franchise tag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4.4-4.5mill for franchised safeties/TEs in 2007 (and arch's contract feeds into that :/ ).

But I seem to remember us getting under the cap before the CBA was announced, without cutting anyone we weren't getting rid of anyway.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:32 PM   #21
Camp Scrub
 
Aussie_Skins_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 61
Question Re: Franchising Chris Cooley

We draft a great pass catching tight end, who IMO also is a good blocker, always seems to be giving 100%. Develop him into one of the best in the league and a major key to our offence. Surely they will get his deal done before FA, wont they? :confused:
__________________
Even from the other side of the world, i still HAIL!
Aussie_Skins_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:45 PM   #22
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,245
Re: Franchising Chris Cooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
But I seem to remember us getting under the cap before the CBA was announced, without cutting anyone we weren't getting rid of anyway.
nope. a lot of people restructured or made contingent restructures that triggered if the CBA fell through, lavar gave back 4mill, but i believe we still had a cut list if it failed ready to be read.

without restructures or lavar's 4mill, we would've had 26 rookies that year though.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:23 AM   #23
The Starter
 
steveo395's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,674
Re: Franchising Chris Cooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
nope. a lot of people restructured or made contingent restructures that triggered if the CBA fell through, lavar gave back 4mill, but i believe we still had a cut list if it failed ready to be read.

without restructures or lavar's 4mill, we would've had 26 rookies that year though.
No we wouldn't have. Gibbs even said after that that we would have been ok, we just wouldn't have been able to sign anyone. We would have cut the same people.
__________________

steveo395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:25 AM   #24
Special Teams
 
Rajmahal33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 478
Re: Franchising Chris Cooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711 View Post
Cooley is VERY marketable for this franchise, in fact, I'd say he's one of the 3 most marketable behind Moss/Portis (and maybe now Jason).
uhhh...are we forgetting about Sean "the grim reaper" taylor? I posted on another thread, but I'll reiterate. Does anyone know how they determine what his positional franchise tag will be? Is it possible to franchise him as an H-back (are there even enuff H-backs in the league to do this)? It would probably be a lot of savings
__________________
McNasty FTW!
Rajmahal33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:36 AM   #25
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,245
Re: Franchising Chris Cooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajmahal33 View Post
uhhh...are we forgetting about Sean "the grim reaper" taylor? I posted on another thread, but I'll reiterate. Does anyone know how they determine what his positional franchise tag will be? Is it possible to franchise him as an H-back (are there even enuff H-backs in the league to do this)? It would probably be a lot of savings
look up franchise tag on wikipedia, it's updated yearly.

FBs and H-backs count as RBs and costs 7mill to franchise in 2007. TEs cost 4.5mill (only kickers are significantly less). you couldn't franchise guards because they're grouped with OTs and would cost 9.4mill this year, but now OGs are getting paid anyways.

you take the top 5 salaries and average them for the position.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:39 PM   #26
The Starter
 
MonkFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 37
Posts: 1,840
Re: Franchising Chris Cooley

I think that the Cooley extention gets done during the season. Watching Dockery leave for big money when they could have possibly sured him up with a Randy Thomas type deal during the season would lead them keep Cooley off the market. Now I know that Dockery wanted to test the market beforehand but a Thomas type deal may have gotten him happy at the time or maybe not but you get my point. Signing Cooley now would be a hell of a lot cheaper than competing with other teams IMO.
__________________
Catch me on YouTube !

http://www.youtube.com/user/DowntimeRB?feature=mhw5

The "punishment" by the league : "It's like getting a ticket for going too fast on a road a week ago and they changed the speed limit today"
MonkFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.24669 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25