Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Do agents respect the Redskins?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2007, 10:09 PM   #1
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Do agents respect the Redskins?

Ok so I have been thinking about this for quite some time, and most of us can agree that the Skins spend alot of money on players. I was wondering if you think free agents and their sports agencies come in with that in the back of their mind?

Do they just think they can play hard to get, and the Skins will cave in? I mean I am sure it is more complicated than that, but personally I think if I was an agent of a player that skins needed badly, I would just shoot really high knowing the Skins will do anything to "get their guys".

I know things have shifted a bit this year, but is that mainly because we are cap-fcuked or because it is a change in attitude? Because even during the Flecther introductions Gibbs said he was on the phone with Flecther at 12:01 am, right when free agency started!



4 MAIN QUESTIONS:

1-Basically do players and agents feel the Skins are gonna throw out insane amounts of money at then?
2-Do these agents abuse this and does this make us cough up insane amounts of money?
3-If so what can we do about it?
4-Does this year signify a shift in our free agency beliefs or is it just because we are constrained by the cap?
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-07-2007, 10:47 PM   #2
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,247
Re: Do agents respect the Redskins?

its stupid not to be on the phone at 12:01am. everyone does that.

i think part of the problem is dan does the deals himself, and maybe he just gets excited, but he's seemed far too willing to throw crazy amounts of money at people outside the team, while trying to pinch a lot of pennies when dealing with current redskins.

i hope it signifies a shift, cause if the draft goes well, we (the fans) can claim a good offseason without having to overhype very average players.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:00 PM   #3
Impact Rookie
 
Redskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: University of South Carolina
Age: 25
Posts: 577
Re: Do agents respect the Redskins?

It should be every Free Agents dream to play for the Redskins the way they get paid
__________________
University Of South Carolina '11
Go Cocks and Go Skins
#21#RIP Sean Taylor a TRUE Redskin#21#
<--Hey wheres my green approval rating?
Redskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:45 AM   #4
Assistant Regional Mod
 
EternalEnigma21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Warrenton VA
Age: 34
Posts: 2,953
Re: Do agents respect the Redskins?

snyder reminds me of a guy with bad credit... you throw all your money at new stuff, but don't want to pay for the stuff you already have...

I wonder if he does have bad credit... alot of rich people do actually...
__________________
Need electrical work in the Northern VA, or Shenandoah Valley? Click here

...and why do we still have a Tom Tupa avatar???
EternalEnigma21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:16 AM   #5
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,512
Re: Do agents respect the Redskins?

i really am impressed with the way this off season has went so far. the 2 free agent contracts have been team friendly, and it seems like there is more of a plan.
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:58 AM   #6
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: Do agents respect the Redskins?

Remember the rumor in 05 that Comcast reported that Samari Rolle was going to sign w/us for a $15mil bonus? When asked about it Skins officials said it was a rumor floated by Rolle's agent to drive up his price. He eventually signed w/Baltimore.
I think they use us as much as anything. As for whether they really respect the Danny as a football man, that's a good question. I bet the Postons do!
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:53 AM   #7
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,535
Re: Do agents respect the Redskins?

I do believe we're seeing a change in direction this offseason.

If the Skins wanted to be movers and shakers in free agency they could have easily cleaned house and opened up a ton of cap room and went to town. Instead our moves have been much more calculated and conservative.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:03 AM   #8
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: Do agents respect the Redskins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I do believe we're seeing a change in direction this offseason.

If the Skins wanted to be movers and shakers in free agency they could have easily cleaned house and opened up a ton of cap room and went to town. Instead our moves have been much more calculated and conservative.
I believe you're right, but I think they still have to show this change of direction next year & thereafter, especially when there is big $ available, like last year.

The 05 offseason seemed to be a change of direction as we only signed Patten & Rabach, but that was really due to the fact that the cba was nearing an end & they knew they could be forced to cut a lot.
Once the new cba was approved, we went mad w/infamous signings.

I hope last year was the straw that broke the Danny's back. I think that Gibbs is exerting his influence & control stressing that core guys really have to be retained. It may have taken a while, but hopefully Danny et al can clearly see that the signing bonanzas can backfire. Like you said, there are signs that we've changed our approach.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:03 PM   #9
Impact Rookie
 
hagams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Okinawa, Japan
Age: 34
Posts: 886
Re: Do agents respect the Redskins?

We needed this change so bad. I saw in anothe thread that someone mentioned the Broncos "buying a Superbowl". I hope Dan has got that out of his system. I think Gibbs is have the most effect on the owner(s). They seem to be buying a talent instead of a franchise name.
hagams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:13 PM   #10
Camp Scrub
 
REDSKIN2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 33
Re: Do agents respect the Redskins?

As for whether they really respect the Danny as a football man, that's a good question. I bet the Postons do!

REDSKIN2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:41 PM   #11
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Do agents respect the Redskins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
I believe you're right, but I think they still have to show this change of direction next year & thereafter, especially when there is big $ available, like last year.
That's it right there. We can't look at this offseason and say, "Ahh, finally. They've seen the error of their ways, and they're turning over a new leaf."

I certainly hope Matty's right, that there truly has been a change of heart. But what will confirm that will be the next offseason or two, when their cap situation improves (hopefully) but only time will tell.

Remember, if it happens once it's an accident. Twice, it's a coincidence. Three times is a trend.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:47 PM   #12
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Do agents respect the Redskins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Ok so I have been thinking about this for quite some time, and most of us can agree that the Skins spend alot of money on players. I was wondering if you think free agents and their sports agencies come in with that in the back of their mind?

Do they just think they can play hard to get, and the Skins will cave in? I mean I am sure it is more complicated than that, but personally I think if I was an agent of a player that skins needed badly, I would just shoot really high knowing the Skins will do anything to "get their guys".

I know things have shifted a bit this year, but is that mainly because we are cap-fcuked or because it is a change in attitude? Because even during the Flecther introductions Gibbs said he was on the phone with Flecther at 12:01 am, right when free agency started!



4 MAIN QUESTIONS:

1-Basically do players and agents feel the Skins are gonna throw out insane amounts of money at then?
2-Do these agents abuse this and does this make us cough up insane amounts of money?
3-If so what can we do about it?
4-Does this year signify a shift in our free agency beliefs or is it just because we are constrained by the cap?

In response to your four main questions: (1) It has been a common practice since Snyder bought the team to consistently overpay for other teams players, therefore that would not be an unreasonable asumption. (2) Players, and agents alike recognize a good thing when they see it, therefore it's fair game for them to bargain for as much as they can get. (3) We must change our pattern, much like this year, and maintain that pattern for an extended period of time so that asumption will no longer be taken for granted. (4) Only time will tell. That question will be answered when we have the opporyunity to observe how we do business in 2008 and beyond. Will we demonstrate restraint like we did this year (maybe because of cap restraints) or do we revert back to last year's practices? The jury is still out.
__________________
A revolution is coming and it will be televised.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:45 PM   #13
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Do agents respect the Redskins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
In response to your four main questions: (1) It has been a common practice since Snyder bought the team to consistently overpay for other teams players, therefore that would not be an unreasonable asumption. (2) Players, and agents alike recognize a good thing when they see it, therefore it's fair game for them to bargain for as much as they can get. (3) We must change our pattern, much like this year, and maintain that pattern for an extended period of time so that asumption will no longer be taken for granted. (4) Only time will tell. That question will be answered when we have the opporyunity to observe how we do business in 2008 and beyond. Will we demonstrate restraint like we did this year (maybe because of cap restraints) or do we revert back to last year's practices? The jury is still out.
Ding, ding, ding, a winner! Thanks for actually answering all my questions lol.

Yeah I pretty much agree with what you said, I am just trying to get people to convince me that we really have shifted our attitude to developing players in the draft.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:32 AM   #14
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,247
Re: Do agents respect the Redskins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Ding, ding, ding, a winner! Thanks for actually answering all my questions lol.

Yeah I pretty much agree with what you said, I am just trying to get people to convince me that we really have shifted our attitude to developing players in the draft.
in one offseason? that kind of shift would require years to gauge as an actual pattern instead of just being the result of current cap constraints. I think it's a good first step though.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:23 PM   #15
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Do agents respect the Redskins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
in one offseason? that kind of shift would require years to gauge as an actual pattern instead of just being the result of current cap constraints. I think it's a good first step though.
Pretty much what I thought.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31794 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25