Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


The Last Briggs Thread? Bears Say No Deal

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2007, 09:01 PM   #46
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: The Last Briggs Thread? Bears Say No Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan_nn View Post
The jury is out on how Campbell will progress this season, hopefully good.
Ramsey on the other hand, great arm strength. One shoot to the head to many under the Spurrier era. I think he's a lifetime backup.
Pretty much. If he's ever called on to start, he will perform mediocrely.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-03-2007, 09:37 PM   #47
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: The Last Briggs Thread? Bears Say No Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I can see where they are coming from. IMO, Okoye is the one guy who is good enough to represent the 6th pick and not hurt our defense with a glaring weakness. Carriker is the other guy I would want, but doesn't represent the 6th pick.

I think that Gibbs is turned off by Okoye's age because of his preference for older players, but I also feel that his fears are unwarrented. Yeah, hes 19, but he also played 4 full seasons in college. That's some simply invaluable experience.

He's mature beyond his years, and he's the true once in a lifetime player in this draft. If I was GM of the Redskins, and I had the No. 1 overall pick instead of the 6th, and I was absolutely unable to trade out of it, I would take Okoye first overall.

That said, I could see why Gibbs might pass on him. And looking past him, the value of player available at No. 6 isnt very good for what we like to do.

So if we can trade down out of the 6th pick, I'd be all for that I guess, even if it costs us Okoye (since theres no guarentee we'd draft him anyway). But I'd be much more satisfied with extra picks than with a veteran like Briggs. This team is not short on veteran leadership. We need cheap, young guys to be able to bring along slowly that will be the heart and sould of this team three years down the road.

The best possible move would be selecting Okoye at 6, but there are a bunch of other good moves. Luckily, this Briggs talk is put to rest for now, so we can explore those other options.

You mention the fact we need cheap, young players to be able to bring along slowly that will be the heart and soul of the team three years down the road [unquote] I agree, but unfortunately that's not the Redskins MO, they have demonstrated since Snyder bought the team that they are a FA driven team, and so far they have not demonstrated any willingness to change from that direction.

Lance Briggs aside, It is my gut feeling that the player the Redskins really want to land in this draft is Calvin Johnson, and that's despite our current WR situation. It will be a travesty if holding the 6th pick in the draft we emerge without a starting caliber player that can impact our defense.
__________________
A revolution is coming and it will be televised.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:50 PM   #48
Playmaker
 
skinsfan_nn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Newport News,Virginia
Age: 50
Posts: 4,495
Re: The Last Briggs Thread? Bears Say No Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
You mention the fact we need cheap, young players to be able to bring along slowly that will be the heart and soul of the team three years down the road [unquote] I agree, but unfortunately that's not the Redskins MO, they have demonstrated since Snyder bought the team that they are a FA driven team, and so far they have not demonstrated any willingness to change from that direction.

Lance Briggs aside, It is my gut feeling that the player the Redskins really want to land in this draft is Calvin Johnson, and that's despite our current WR situation. It will be a travesty if holding the 6th pick in the draft we emerge without a starting caliber player that can impact our defense.
I certainly hope we do eventually come to our senses, and make the descission to trade down, and get at least one minimum starter for our defense, maybe better?

But with all this LB action, and it doesn't appear real clear that it's over by any strech. How do you think they could pull off CJ?
I don't think that's where we are leaning at all.
__________________
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:55 PM   #49
Impact Rookie
 
4mrusmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Age: 45
Posts: 559
Re: The Last Briggs Thread? Bears Say No Deal

This deal didn't make sense anyway. We gave up alot to get Rocky in the first place. Then we go out and get a short and old tackling machine in Fletcher. We already have Washington playing good at his position. Marshall is a good back-up at his position. One would think we are set at the lb position, with other needs to concentrate on. Hey front office, how about focusing on the fact that we cannot get to the damn qb, and force any turnovers. THE D-LINE NEEDS AN OVERHAUL!!!!!!!!!! If you wanted Briggs, you should have gotten him instead of Fletcher. Thank you Chicago for saving us from our selves.
4mrusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:07 PM   #50
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: The Last Briggs Thread? Bears Say No Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan_nn View Post
I certainly hope we do eventually come to our senses, and make the descission to trade down, and get at least one minimum starter for our defense, maybe better?

But with all this LB action, and it doesn't appear real clear that it's over by any strech. How do you think they could pull off CJ?
I don't think that's where we are leaning at all.

CJ is a Dan Snyder fantacy, It has been reported that he very much would like to be able to draft him (so would a lot of other teams) Not insinuating we're leaning there, but i do believe if Snyder could find a way to make it work he would. I disagree because I'm all defense myself.
__________________
A revolution is coming and it will be televised.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:11 PM   #51
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,234
Re: The Last Briggs Thread? Bears Say No Deal

just draft a defensive lineman and be done with it redskins
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:39 PM   #52
Playmaker
 
skinsfan_nn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Newport News,Virginia
Age: 50
Posts: 4,495
Re: The Last Briggs Thread? Bears Say No Deal

Chicago might end up wanting this more than we do?
Read the last paragraph. This thing could be FAR from over?

ESPN.com - NFL - Bears turn down draft swap with Skins for Briggs
__________________
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:39 AM   #53
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: The Last Briggs Thread? Bears Say No Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
CJ is a Dan Snyder fantacy, It has been reported that he very much would like to be able to draft him (so would a lot of other teams) Not insinuating we're leaning there, but i do believe if Snyder could find a way to make it work he would. I disagree because I'm all defense myself.
If Snyder is actually still pulling the strings to this extent, why on earth did he hire Joe Gibbs, make him team president, and give him control of all "football decisions????"
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:31 AM   #54
The Starter
 
GoSkins!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yorktown, Va
Age: 45
Posts: 1,587
Re: The Last Briggs Thread? Bears Say No Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
If Snyder is actually still pulling the strings to this extent, why on earth did he hire Joe Gibbs, make him team president, and give him control of all "football decisions????"
Cause he is Joe Gibbs. But that doesn't change the fact that Snyder is always going to be Snyder.
__________________
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts. A. Einstien
GoSkins! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:41 AM   #55
Impact Rookie
 
vaoutlaws2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Fayettenam, NC
Age: 42
Posts: 806
Re: The Last Briggs Thread? Bears Say No Deal

I didnt think this would really happen but i am relieved that we arent bringing that moron here.
__________________
The future is obviously right now!
vaoutlaws2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:56 AM   #56
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: The Last Briggs Thread? Bears Say No Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Unless one of us can say we were there, I don't think any of us can definitely say what went down.
That was my point as we really have no idea who all was behind the trade. I have a hard time believing that if our coaching staff was totally against this trade that our FO would have persued the trade. The talks may have started with Snyder and Rosenhaus in some bar but if I'm correct the article I read also said Gibbs and the coaching staff had benn involved in the talks about the trade. I just get tired of people bashing the team, coaches, FO, Snyder that do not know "for a fact" what they are bashing him for is even correct. So if we are going bash them we should know the facts before doing so. Like you said we really have no way of knowing unless we were in the meatings so I stand by my first comment. People here have bashed the FO on the stupid rumors that have come from all kinds of sources about trade rumores that ended up just being rumors.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:38 AM   #57
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,560
Re: The Last Briggs Thread? Bears Say No Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
That was my point as we really have no idea who all was behind the trade. I have a hard time believing that if our coaching staff was totally against this trade that our FO would have persued the trade. The talks may have started with Snyder and Rosenhaus in some bar but if I'm correct the article I read also said Gibbs and the coaching staff had benn involved in the talks about the trade. I just get tired of people bashing the team, coaches, FO, Snyder that do not know "for a fact" what they are bashing him for is even correct. So if we are going bash them we should know the facts before doing so. Like you said we really have no way of knowing unless we were in the meatings so I stand by my first comment. People here have bashed the FO on the stupid rumors that have come from all kinds of sources about trade rumores that ended up just being rumors.
I agree.

I think some people are way too quick to jump all over rumors and take them as fact. Given the history of the way this front office operates it's understandable... to a point. But in the end all rumors should be treated as rumors until more info is known.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:44 AM   #58
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: The Last Briggs Thread? Bears Say No Deal

Who initiated the deal ? ... who approved it ? ... who said no to the deal first ? ... what is being offered ? ... what is being counter-offered ?

I don't know if this is all spin generated by the agent, but if it is then it's working because I feel dizzy.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:37 AM   #59
Playmaker
 
artmonkforhallofamein07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Charleston , SC
Posts: 4,718
Re: The Last Briggs Thread? Bears Say No Deal

I like the fact that the FO said no to the deal once Chicago decided they wanted a player. I mean come on you guys are moving up 25 spots in the draft and getting rid off a disgruntled player, but now you want more. Not just more but one of our young players we drafted last year. Go blow me Chicago you should've excepted it the way it was instead fo trying to get greedy. Thank god it looks like we will be restraining ourselves from this one.
__________________
Robert Griffin III welcome to the Washington Redskins!

Year 1 - NFC EAST Champions at 10-6

Year 2 - 3-10... Benched 14 weeks to late.....

Year 3 - Pure Awesomeness!!

http://site.fandangoracinginc.com/
artmonkforhallofamein07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:49 AM   #60
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: The Last Briggs Thread? Bears Say No Deal

I'm glad we held our ground on not parting w/Rocky, but it does seem that the deal could get done if we offered another player. The only guy I would be happy about trading is Loyd, just don't think the odds are good that he'll be a good Redskin.

There will still some annoying things about this whole deal, even if the front office isn't ultimately to blame. Why did Gibbs & Vinny initially deny a deal had been offered? The way it's reported now, it appears that everyone involved acknowledges a deal was offered, yet we were still denying it a week or so ago. Just doesn't sound like a good way to do business. Again, I don't know if it's the FO's fault, maybe it was all on Drew R.

I have to think the odds are in favor of us acquiring Briggs, for better or worse.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31014 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25