Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


United Way VT Fund

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2007, 01:14 PM   #1
The Starter
 
SC Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,555
United Way VT Fund

I came across this when scanning NFL.com, but the United Way has set up a fund to help defray funeral costs and travel expenses for families effected by the shootings in Blacksburg. This might belong in another forum, but I figued it would get more attention here. I suspect some of you are VT Alum and many more are from Virginia. The VT avatar is nice, but money will have an actual impact. Funerals are going to run at the very least $5,000 for these families and I suspect only a very few of the individuals involved had life insurance given their age. Mike Vick gave $10,000, which is a start, but if everyone here gave $20 or $25 that would really add up.

United Way of Montgomery, Radford and Floyd:
__________________
It has taken a long time, but I have finally realized that nothing I say about the Redskins will have any effect upon anything the Redskins do.
SC Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-19-2007, 01:25 PM   #2
Playmaker
 
skinsfan_nn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Newport News,Virginia
Age: 49
Posts: 4,495
Re: United Way VT Fund

Heck if any or everyone just gave what they could, whether it be $1 or $5, any amount would be great, it all adds up. Hey MODS look at this see what we can do to help? I'm in.
__________________
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
Impact Rookie
 
VTSkins897's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 890
Re: United Way VT Fund

yes every little bit helps.

so sad.
VTSkins897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:28 PM   #4
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,443
Re: United Way VT Fund

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Skins Fan View Post
I came across this when scanning NFL.com, but the United Way has set up a fund to help defray funeral costs and travel expenses for families effected by the shootings in Blacksburg. This might belong in another forum, but I figued it would get more attention here. I suspect some of you are VT Alum and many more are from Virginia. The VT avatar is nice, but money will have an actual impact. Funerals are going to run at the very least $5,000 for these families and I suspect only a very few of the individuals involved had life insurance given their age. Mike Vick gave $10,000, which is a start, but if everyone here gave $20 or $25 that would really add up.

United Way of Montgomery, Radford and Floyd:
thanks for posting this. and thanks to mike vick too.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: United Way VT Fund

I bet 1/4 of the money ever makes it to the families. Does the person managing the United Way still make six figures and have two homes one in Arlington and one in Florida? Does he still have two Mercedes benz and a Yacht sitting in Florida? Give to an organization that will not take over half the money ment for the families please.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:51 PM   #6
Special Teams
 
rvd420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 227
Re: United Way VT Fund

from news reports the gunman was one river shy of an ocean.my condolence goes to all the victims families.vick is overrated in football but i give him a lot of respect for his contributions to the families.
rvd420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:36 PM   #7
The Starter
 
SC Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,555
Re: United Way VT Fund

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I bet 1/4 of the money ever makes it to the families. Does the person managing the United Way still make six figures and have two homes one in Arlington and one in Florida? Does he still have two Mercedes benz and a Yacht sitting in Florida? Give to an organization that will not take over half the money ment for the families please.
If you have solid information on this point please provide some link or solid information. I don't know exactly how the United Way works, but I believe it is a coalition of local organizations and it is the local office in the Blacksburg Area that is collecting money. Again, if you have good information than please provide and it would also be nice if you could offer another organization that is helping the families. Otherwise it would seem like you aren't doing a whole lot of good just dissuading people from helping.
__________________
It has taken a long time, but I have finally realized that nothing I say about the Redskins will have any effect upon anything the Redskins do.
SC Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:16 PM   #8
Playmaker
 
skinsfan_nn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Newport News,Virginia
Age: 49
Posts: 4,495
Re: United Way VT Fund

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I bet 1/4 of the money ever makes it to the families. Does the person managing the United Way still make six figures and have two homes one in Arlington and one in Florida? Does he still have two Mercedes benz and a Yacht sitting in Florida? Give to an organization that will not take over half the money ment for the families please.
Hey, if you have solid proof. Provide a link, as warpath rules!
We give to the United Way and yes there is some overhead, but not 75% or anywhere close!

The last statemant I took a look at it was in the 18% range, if you don't want to help that's your business.
However, don't provide false or misleading information. These folks NEED help! And MANY PRAYERS

If people choose not to use the United Way there are countless other means to make a donation. GOD BLESS ALL THE FAMILIES, STUDENTS STAFFF & anyone I LEFT OUT! OUR COUNTLESS THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU ALL.
__________________
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:17 PM   #9
Playmaker
 
skinsfan_nn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Newport News,Virginia
Age: 49
Posts: 4,495
Re: United Way VT Fund

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Skins Fan View Post
I came across this when scanning NFL.com, but the United Way has set up a fund to help defray funeral costs and travel expenses for families effected by the shootings in Blacksburg. This might belong in another forum, but I figued it would get more attention here. I suspect some of you are VT Alum and many more are from Virginia. The VT avatar is nice, but money will have an actual impact. Funerals are going to run at the very least $5,000 for these families and I suspect only a very few of the individuals involved had life insurance given their age. Mike Vick gave $10,000, which is a start, but if everyone here gave $20 or $25 that would really add up.

United Way of Montgomery, Radford and Floyd:
Thanks for the start of this very important thread SC!
__________________
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:17 PM   #10
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: United Way VT Fund

I've lived in the Washington Region all my life. I belive it was early 90's a story broke in the Washington Post about the Person who oversees this organization supposedly having two homes. One in like Alexandria or Arlington and the other home was in Florida. He had two very expensive cars and a Yacht. He made six figures and I'm not talking about $100,000. I'm talking closer to $900,000. to a Mill. While I was in the Navy they always wanted us to give and threatened our long weekends if we did not give. I never gave because I felt they should not force me to give to a voluntary organization. I still recieved my long wkends. I remember thinking wow. Now I'm glad I never gave. I'll see what I can find out about it though. and your right it is a conglomeration of other charities under it's organization.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:29 PM   #11
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: United Way VT Fund

Ok, I'm terrible at posting links sorry. However I searched United Way Scandals and located Wikipedia. at the bottom it gives a link to the Washington Post where they had a question and answer session with someone from the United Way. They said some of the same problems still exist with the United Way even though they have put other measures in place to correct the problems in 2003. They said top officials are still using the donated money as their private ATM's dipping in when they want or need to. hope this helps.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:35 PM   #12
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: United Way VT Fund

Look on the Washington Post site for Jacqueline Salmon May 22, 2006 posting about United Way.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:38 PM   #13
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,636
Re: United Way VT Fund

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I've lived in the Washington Region all my life. I belive it was early 90's a story broke in the Washington Post about the Person who oversees this organization supposedly having two homes. One in like Alexandria or Arlington and the other home was in Florida. He had two very expensive cars and a Yacht. He made six figures and I'm not talking about $100,000. I'm talking closer to $900,000. to a Mill. While I was in the Navy they always wanted us to give and threatened our long weekends if we did not give. I never gave because I felt they should not force me to give to a voluntary organization. I still recieved my long wkends. I remember thinking wow. Now I'm glad I never gave. I'll see what I can find out about it though. and your right it is a conglomeration of other charities under it's organization.
I remember that, I think you're thinking of William Aramony

NP Times / William Aramony Is Back On The Streets
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:44 PM   #14
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: United Way VT Fund

Thank You.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:48 PM   #15
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: United Way VT Fund

However if you read the May 2006 Q&A in the Wash.Post. it sounds like the problem is still there perhaps not as flagerant. Perhaps not in the Alexandria office either. but......rape me once shame on you. rape me twice.....shame on me. won't happen. Well ...even though I was not raped the first time.lol. I would find a way to give to the school or to a charity directly versus going through the United Way. Just trying suggest a better approach.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29716 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25