Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


How does our defense work?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2007, 05:40 PM   #1
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 28
Posts: 14,145
How does our defense work?

This is a question that I think that needs to be put out into the open. I mean we keep on hearing all these things about how we need D-Line help then Gibbs gives the line a vote of confidence saying that the line isn't even the main source of pressure when it comes to getting after the quarterback.

Then the Redskins draft a safety whos going to be a hell of a player but when its all said and done I still don't know exactly how our defense work or what Landry's role is going to be.

Anyway heres what I do know.

- It has been described to me as a hybrid cover 2 scheme.

- We love to blitz from everywhere wether it be linebacker, safety, or corner the fact is we love to blitz.

- Greg Williams is our defensive coordinator

But heres what I don't know.

- Who gets everyone lined up, do the Mike and SS share the responibility (I keep on hearing praises about the abilities of Pierce and Clark to do this while they here)?

- Are the DL playing one gap or two and are they expected to get penetration or hold their ground?

- How often do we get our DL to drop into coverage?

- How often do we play man-to-man compared to zone?

- Do we use zone-blitzes?

- Do we count on M. Washington as our main pass rush threat?

- Who will win American Idol?

The answers to any of these questions will be greatly appreciated otherwise I wouldn't have created the thread in the first place.
__________________
Charlie: Okay. Take off your seat belt.
Alan: Why?
Charlie: Because when I slam on the brakes I want to watch you go through the windshield.
Dirtbag59 is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-29-2007, 05:52 PM   #2
Special Teams
 
Skins_4_Lyfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upper Marlboro, MD/Greensboro, NC
Age: 26
Posts: 482
Re: How does our defense work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
- Who gets everyone lined up, do the Mike and SS share the responibility (I keep on hearing praises about the abilities of Pierce and Clark to do this while they here)?
Hopefully London, who is familiar with the system.
__________________

Skins_4_Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:09 PM   #3
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 26
Posts: 8,606
Re: How does our defense work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso View Post
Clearly we are going to run a 4-5-2. It's a brand new scheme for a team with two dag nasty safties. I'm not sure how it works, but at least we are going to make people bleed. That's really not so bad as long as the O has a major leap forward.
4-5-2?...that is brand-new? How do you know this? Where are you getting this new scheme from...
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
Special Teams
 
TenandSix:Unacceptable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 289
Re: How does our defense work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
4-5-2?...that is brand-new? How do you know this? Where are you getting this new scheme from...
It's a scheme with no cornerbacks, 5 linebackers and 2 safeties. It's real cutting edge stuff.
TenandSix:Unacceptable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:32 PM   #5
Special Teams
 
TenandSix:Unacceptable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 289
Re: How does our defense work?

The design is predicated on injuring all the other teams skill players before the start of the 4th quarter, it is supposed to give the team that employs it a real advantage in the second game of divisional rivalries.
TenandSix:Unacceptable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:43 PM   #6
The Starter
 
Meks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South Jersey
Age: 28
Posts: 1,913
Re: How does our defense work?

Landry better start ... and I think as long as he shows up in camp he will....

I think we have great depth and will use that depth in all sorts of crazy schemes, getting landry has been a wet dream for williams all off-season I'm sure... even so.. i'm not sure what to expect but that m-F'R BETTER, HE BETTER START.
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:48 PM   #7
Impact Rookie
 
CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: va
Age: 46
Posts: 890
Re: How does our defense work?

Ill tell you how it going to be run. Right down our throats and the QB will have all day to throw. Im so glad we didnt address our needs on the dline and got another qb and te and 2 LB.
CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:49 PM   #8
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 28
Posts: 14,145
Re: How does our defense work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenandSix:Unacceptable View Post
The design is predicated on injuring all the other teams skill players before the start of the 4th quarter, it is supposed to give the team that employs it a real advantage in the second game of divisional rivalries.
Thats Hilarious.
__________________
Charlie: Okay. Take off your seat belt.
Alan: Why?
Charlie: Because when I slam on the brakes I want to watch you go through the windshield.
Dirtbag59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:04 PM   #9
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
Re: How does our defense work?

The mike LB is generally responsible for lining up the D in the right spots. Pierce was great at this, and Clark helped bring along a young Sean Taylor. It was no coincidence that Taylor regressed in Clark's absence. It's not like Landry is gonna jump in there and start telling Taylor where to be on the field. The way I see it, Taylor needs to focus on his technique and coverage skills and become more of a leader. He's entering his 4th year now, and he was a top 5 draft pick. Time to step up.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:04 PM   #10
Impact Rookie
 
CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: va
Age: 46
Posts: 890
Re: How does our defense work?

look griffith has been hurt the last two years, big joe been hurt too, daniels stinks and you can run all over carter. Goldston ok so is montgomery, that why the skins should have tried to get some dline to protect the LB so they can do their job. Our pass rush is horrible and im being nice about that.
CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:13 PM   #11
Special Teams
 
gabe1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 372
Re: How does our defense work?

I'm not sure how it works, but at least we are going to make people bleed.

i like that
__________________
In the Land of the Blind the man with one eye is king, but today in the Land of the Skunks, THE MAN WITH HALF A NOSE IS KING!!!!!
gabe1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:28 PM   #12
The Starter
 
SC Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,555
Re: How does our defense work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
This is a question that I think that needs to be put out into the open. I mean we keep on hearing all these things about how we need D-Line help then Gibbs gives the line a vote of confidence saying that the line isn't even the main source of pressure when it comes to getting after the quarterback.

Then the Redskins draft a safety whos going to be a hell of a player but when its all said and done I still don't know exactly how our defense work or what Landry's role is going to be.

Anyway heres what I do know.

- It has been described to me as a hybrid cover 2 scheme.

- We love to blitz from everywhere wether it be linebacker, safety, or corner the fact is we love to blitz.

- Greg Williams is our defensive coordinator

But heres what I don't know.

- Who gets everyone lined up, do the Mike and SS share the responibility (I keep on hearing praises about the abilities of Pierce and Clark to do this while they here)?

- Are the DL playing one gap or two and are they expected to get penetration or hold their ground?

- How often do we get our DL to drop into coverage?

- How often do we play man-to-man compared to zone?

- Do we use zone-blitzes?

- Do we count on M. Washington as our main pass rush threat?

- Who will win American Idol?

The answers to any of these questions will be greatly appreciated otherwise I wouldn't have created the thread in the first place.
Very good questions, too bad no one has any answers (including myself). How someone can answer intelligently b/c you raise good issues. Some should go more or less point by point with some answers.
__________________
It has taken a long time, but I have finally realized that nothing I say about the Redskins will have any effect upon anything the Redskins do.
SC Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:18 PM   #13
Special Teams
 
jermus22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Age: 31
Posts: 334
Re: How does our defense work?

Two personal impressions of our defensive scheme:

1. Despite all the talk about how G. Williams likes to bring the blitz, I tend to think that he doesn't employ it enough. I especially remember it being a big problem in the first half of 2005 when we were not getting a pass rush (actually, last year may have been worse although I didn't see as many games). The lack of a pass rush has consequently resulted in a lack of turnovers.

2. We seem to employ our linebackers and safeties in a lot of zone coverage. Our Mike in particular takes a lot of deep drops. I've heard it mentioned that we employ a cover two, but it seems like our safeties have struggled particularly in coverage (we have been especially vulnerable to the deep pass). Our reliance on the front four to generate a pass rush strongly suggests a cover two scheme, which relies heavily on the d-line to put pressure while the LBs and secondary sit back in zone. However, a scheme like that is supposed to be solid against the deep pass since both safeties are used to cover that area.

Overall, are tendency to go after physical, hard-hitting safeties instead of cover guys seems to buck against the cover 2 defense, even though John Lynch certainly flourished in that defense and happens to be an awesome hitter. Additionally, our lack of attention to defensive line needs combined with an emphasis on getting guys for the secondary (we drafted high for Rogers, Taylor, and Landry and are still trying to keep Springs) could signal a reliance more on the secondary while LBs are sent after the QB. I personally would like to see more blitzes using Washington, Fletcher, Marshall, and McIntosh.
__________________
Win it in the trenches.
jermus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:53 AM   #14
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 34
Posts: 16,275
Re: How does our defense work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe1984 View Post
I'm not sure how it works, but at least we are going to make people bleed.

i like that
Oh yeah...when we drafted Landry, I immediately pictured Dallas WRs running throught the middle of the field and getting crushed to a fine powder by Taylor and Landry. It's going to be REALLY run to watch with our TWO Ronnie Lott Jr.s locked and loaded to destroy.
:smashfrea


I can't wait to see them in action. It's going to be a LONG 5 months and 2 weeks until September 9th at FedEx.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:08 PM   #15
Special Teams
 
Rajmahal33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 478
Re: How does our defense work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR View Post
look griffith has been hurt the last two years, big joe been hurt too, daniels stinks and you can run all over carter. Goldston ok so is montgomery, that why the skins should have tried to get some dline to protect the LB so they can do their job. Our pass rush is horrible and im being nice about that.
Griffin will be healthy and so will big joe at least for the beginning of the season (keeping fingers crossed). If they can hold up for one more year golston and montomery might be far enuff along to step in there next year. Carter can rush well if he maintains his late season form and Daniels doesn't flat out suck, he is just aging. With the LB's that we have i think we could move to a 3-4 scheme, where carter is more naturally fit for. However, I dont think williams is willing to change from a 4-3. I just hope Landry pans out cuz we could have REALLY used a top D-lineman this year!
__________________
McNasty FTW!
Rajmahal33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32432 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25