Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Sean Taylor at Free Safety and LaRon Landry at Strong Safety

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2007, 02:15 AM   #16
Impact Rookie
 
Duffman003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 590
Re: Sean Taylor at Free Safety and LaRon Landry at Strong Safety

am i the only person that feels like we have 5 linebackers playing and is worried about that? I mean i love ST but i dont consider him a very good cover safety
__________________
give me food, feed me lunch
'you want water?', B#### give me punch - D12
Duffman003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-06-2007, 02:30 AM   #17
Special Teams
 
TenandSix:Unacceptable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 323
Re: Sean Taylor at Free Safety and LaRon Landry at Strong Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman003 View Post
am i the only person that feels like we have 5 linebackers playing and is worried about that? I mean i love ST but i dont consider him a very good cover safety
Fear not.
TenandSix:Unacceptable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:49 AM   #18
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Sean Taylor at Free Safety and LaRon Landry at Strong Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman003 View Post
am i the only person that feels like we have 5 linebackers playing and is worried about that? I mean i love ST but i dont consider him a very good cover safety
Look they are both fast so it really doesn't matter much. In GW's Defense I don't believe that there is a difference between the two. He does the same but different things with both. What I have noticed is that in his defense there are 11 football players and they all pretty much do everything, and that means play defense.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:18 AM   #19
Special Teams
 
TenandSix:Unacceptable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 323
Re: Sean Taylor at Free Safety and LaRon Landry at Strong Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryssg View Post
Look they are both fast so it really doesn't matter much. In GW's Defense I don't believe that there is a difference between the two. He does the same but different things with both. What I have noticed is that in his defense there are 11 football players and they all pretty much do everything, and that means play defense.
Well, except for last year. Last year they did everything but play defense.

Also, I think what most people expected after drafting LL is that we wanted to have two players who could be interchangeable and keep defenses guessing. It appears, after GW's comments, that that is not exactly the case. We will in fact see more of ST patrolling the deep part of the field, and see more of LL up close to the line of scrimmage, that's why he is differentiating their positions clearly, something he didn't do last year. I think what we may have seen last year with Sean, is that he is better suited playing with the ball in front of him. I sense that his apparent drop in coverage ability was perhaps more a result of him having to do things he is not best suited for. LL frees him up to cover ground as the play unfolds and make plays in the air. Of course, they will not be predictable because both can do a lot of things, but their roles are already being outlined. The real unpredictability factor is going to come from who's blitzing and who's covering out of the remaining players not named Sean. With LL up close to the line, you don't know what he's going to be responsible for: Blitz? Cover the TE or RB? Run support? Drop out on a WR while a CB blitzes the edge? His versatility will open up the defensive playbook. That, and the fact that we'll have head hunters on both levels behind the line of scrimmage, is what will keep our opponents up at night.
TenandSix:Unacceptable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:29 AM   #20
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Sean Taylor at Free Safety and LaRon Landry at Strong Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenandSix:Unacceptable View Post
Well, except for last year. Last year they did everything but play defense.

Also, I think what most people expected after drafting LL is that we wanted to have two players who could be interchangeable and keep defenses guessing. It appears, after GW's comments, that that is not exactly the case. We will in fact see more of ST patrolling the deep part of the field, and see more of LL up close to the line of scrimmage, that's why he is differentiating their positions clearly, something he didn't do last year. I think what we may have seen last year with Sean, is that he is better suited playing with the ball in front of him. I sense that his apparent drop in coverage ability was perhaps more a result of him having to do things he is not best suited for. LL frees him up to cover ground as the play unfolds and make plays in the air. Of course, they will not be predictable because both can do a lot of things, but their roles are already being outlined. The real unpredictability factor is going to come from who's blitzing and who's covering out of the remaining players not named Sean. With LL up close to the line, you don't know what he's going to be responsible for: Blitz? Cover the TE or RB? Run support? Drop out on a WR while a CB blitzes the edge? His versatility will open up the defensive playbook. That, and the fact that we'll have head hunters on both levels behind the line of scrimmage, is what will keep our opponents up at night.
I think that you may have their roles reversed a little. If the skins are going to put a safety in the box it should be Taylor not Laron.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:54 AM   #21
Special Teams
 
TenandSix:Unacceptable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 323
Re: Sean Taylor at Free Safety and LaRon Landry at Strong Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryssg View Post
I think that you may have their roles reversed a little. If the skins are going to put a safety in the box it should be Taylor not Laron.
That's what I was kind of thinking pre-draft, but according to our defensive coordinator it's the other way around. The entire interview is on redskins.com. It makes sense, too.

ST is the perfect jump ball saftey who dishes out a lot of punishment. He has the height, speed, hops and wingspan to break up plays, get interceptions and intimidate WR's. The over the middle pass is his domain. Coming into our house and going over the middle is going to be a dangerous chore with him patrolling the middle, we just need to reign him in a tad so he doesn't bite on the fake. If he's close enough to make the play, he is exceptionally suited to that role.

LL is the hunt down the play ball hawk who can blitz, tackle and cover. He'll be hard to spot because of his stature and versatility. You come around that corner on the sweep, and there he is, driving you into the ground, that is, if he isn't already around the edge on a blitz wrapping you up before you even get there.

On third and long, they'll split the field in halves and they'll both patrol back there, pick your poison.
TenandSix:Unacceptable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:17 AM   #22
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,517
Re: Sean Taylor at Free Safety and LaRon Landry at Strong Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman003 View Post
am i the only person that feels like we have 5 linebackers playing and is worried about that? I mean i love ST but i dont consider him a very good cover safety
I'm with you. right now the skins have 2 safety's who lack in coverage skills. that worked pretty well last year with Taylor and Arch, huh? i do not like this pick at all
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:10 AM   #23
The Starter
 
GoSkins!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yorktown, Va
Age: 45
Posts: 1,587
Re: Sean Taylor at Free Safety and LaRon Landry at Strong Safety

It sounds more like Williams has looked at the tape and realized that there was a lot of confusion in the secondary last year. This is going to be a way to simplify things. Having Laron frees up the corner blitzes again. It also will help Taylor's coverage in that Taylor won't have to play run first and then try to recover. That's what was killing him last year. He was always trying to do two things, covering for other guys.

I thought that having Landry would make he and Taylor interchangable and help desguise the defense. I still think that he will do that, I just think that Williams has decided to limit Taylors role so that he can stop thinking and just play. He can disguise the defense using Landry by blitzing from safety, corner or LB.
__________________
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts. A. Einstien
GoSkins! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:31 AM   #24
The Starter
 
SC Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,555
Re: Sean Taylor at Free Safety and LaRon Landry at Strong Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
I'm with you. right now the skins have 2 safety's who lack in coverage skills. that worked pretty well last year with Taylor and Arch, huh? i do not like this pick at all
Give it a chance before you jump under the bus.
__________________
It has taken a long time, but I have finally realized that nothing I say about the Redskins will have any effect upon anything the Redskins do.
SC Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #25
Playmaker
 
skinsfan_nn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Newport News,Virginia
Age: 49
Posts: 4,495
Re: Sean Taylor at Free Safety and LaRon Landry at Strong Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
I think it's a good move. ST's biggest asset is not his ability to whack people, it's his ball skills. I love the idea of ST roaming around in the backfield looking to pick passes.
SGG, I also think it's a good move.
However, I think he whacking skills are at least equal to his ball skills. Kinda hard to pick one over the other with ST.
__________________
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:03 AM   #26
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,951
Re: Sean Taylor at Free Safety and LaRon Landry at Strong Safety

I am guessing we won't run anything like a traditional safety coverage. We have two guys who can do multiple things well. They'll both play a hybrid and we'll eschew having a designated strong and free. Oh maybe they'll be called one or the other but they wont play that much differently. Situation and a desire to mix it up will mean they both are covering and blitzing.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:04 AM   #27
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,507
Re: Sean Taylor at Free Safety and LaRon Landry at Strong Safety

As long as they spend 14-16 hours a day working on his anti-pump fake biting skills then I'm okay with ST playing back there with Landry blitzing.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:31 AM   #28
Wildcard Bitches
 
RobH4413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 2,488
Re: Sean Taylor at Free Safety and LaRon Landry at Strong Safety

I'm watching the GW press conference right now and it's getting me pumped up.

I'm paraphrasing, but here is some of what I got from the interview:

"Sean Taylor will be in position now to go get the ball... Last year we brought him up in the box a lot, but I want him to go get the ball this year",

"Landry likes to hunt people down, if you watch his sugar bowl game film, he wasn't just winning his man to man match ups, he was hunting people down... and that's what we want to do on defense"

"When we had a pro workout with some players, the best person who had a workout wasn't LaRon... Jason Campbell was the best out there. You can tell he has put a lot of work in. From a defensive stand point I can see that how much work he's put in, and thats good"
__________________
This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!
RobH4413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:49 PM   #29
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,776
Re: Sean Taylor at Free Safety and LaRon Landry at Strong Safety

Interesting move by GW. I think he's looking to simplify things by limiting their roles and not putting so much on their plates.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:20 PM   #30
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,220
Re: Sean Taylor at Free Safety and LaRon Landry at Strong Safety

I think once the two safeties get acquainted with one another that STs tendency to bite on every pump fake will get better. Last year ST tried to do everything and that hurt him all the way around. I think GWill wants to keep this relatively simple to start and slowly add more and more wrinkles to it.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.50306 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25