Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Renaldo Wynn Chat (May 24, 2007)

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2007, 12:19 AM   #1
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,484
Renaldo Wynn Chat (May 24, 2007)

Earlier tonight TheWarpath.net Front Office had the chance to sit down and talk with Redskins DE Renaldo Wynn about a few things. First interview, so we didn't go Mike Wallace on him. Enjoy

WP: When did you realize football could actually be a professional career for you? Did it change the way you approached practicing and playing?

RW: People can always transfer confidence into you, but my HS coach always said “you’re going to make it to the NFL just trust me” and he said that because he coached a NFL guy that played in Chicago, went to ND like me, he saw the similarities, and you’re just like him, you can make it. It really helped me instill some confidence in me and I just remember him telling me to keep doing what you’re doing.

Stay humble and work hard. I thought I was Michael Jordan, with basketball. My coach said you’re a football player and you can make it, even though you love basketball. He said you want to stay with this gift. Everyone wants to be Michael Jordan in Chicago…..HS, College, Pros, higher you get, more seriously you have to take things. When you get to the NFL, watching film is much more important; not just of yourself but of opponents.

WP: You’re often called a “locker room leader” And I know you like to take your teammates out to get to know them outside of football. Is this a role you naturally took upon yourself or, as a veteran, were you asked to fill this role?

RW: I just have a compassion for my teammates; I think this something natural that if they want me to find things out; I’ll do it. I want to see things through, see them be happy, especially the young guys that’s why this is my 6th year being a rep for my team, your teammates vote you, and they know that you have a moral conscious. I’ll do what’s right despite interests. Going to tell them what I feel is right and what’s in their best interest. You rep the players. Rep for the players and the rights of the player.

WP: Thoughts on some of the young guys on the team, particularly the line-such as Golston, Montgomery

RW: We had a lot of injuries in the back end and it really hurt us quite a bit. I take my hat off to our organization for giving the defense the opportunity and believing in us (instead of going out and drafting linemen). They have faith in us to get the job done. Sometimes you can fall into the trap and read the clippings about yourself, they know the type of guys we have. We can get it done. They’ve given us the opportunity to make the plays.

WP: How did the team handle the leak last season?

RW: You’re as strong as your weakest link, for that to happen it took everyone by surprise. When you’re faced with those situations, everyone held tight and the character was very good. It was well tested, everyone stood together. Whoever that person was…they’re probably not here anymore

WP: Joe Gibbs allowing players to work out on their own? Your opinion?

RW: Good move, especially for the veterans. If you don’t know what it takes after year six/seven, you’re not in the NFL anymore. Veterans can work out on their own; they can play for those years because they can take care of themselves. Guys who choose to work out on their own have to pass a tough test when they come back. Everyone did fine, with flying colors.

WP: What went wrong last year? And do you feel the team has taken the right measures to correct it?

RW: You look at the season and then you can’t get your finger on one thing. It was so many different things, injuries, this that and the other. Clinton offensively, defensively lost some key players, Lost Pierson; lost some free agents; losing Springs for a while. All that hurt us. And just for whatever reasons a lot of those close games we won the year before not last year. Have to win the close games.

WP: How has Jason Campbell improved from the end of last season to now?

RW: The key is that he’s going to have the whole off-season/preseason to get in synch with the first team. Some would say when he came in he played really well, even though he had no reps or off-season. Now that he has that experience and he LOOKS GREAT in practice.

He has a really strong and accurate arm; good pocket presence (makes people miss). And he’s got two veteran QBs that are really helping him out. But Campbell just continues to get better. He’s been working his ass off since January. His work ethic is unbelievable.

WP: How involved does Joe Gibbs get with the defense?

RW: He definitely gets involved, NO DOUBT. The reason he won the Super Bowls the first time he coached? Defense. And he’s big on having strong special teams. 85% of special teams players are defensive guys. Most guys are playing both spots. Coach Gibbs comes into our meetings. He knows what’s going on and he knows the defense has to be great to win. You gotta score points but it won’t matter if you can’t stop the opponent.

WP: Tell us about your upcoming Car Show. (Sunday June 10th at Redskins Park)

RW: This is something that’s been my passion. I got my first classic nine years ago. I totally restored it from the ground up. It was a “rust bucket.” I brought it into Jacksonville and they laughed at how bad it was. But the finished product was great, and I just kept doing it.

I have a great time doing it, a huge passion for it. It’s fun going to different car shows and seeing what everyone likes about it, as do my teammates. People just fixing up cars in general, they have great cars and love doing things the way they want and fixing up cars. Why not have a show and let them see players off the field. And have a chance to see them from a different point of view and what they love to do, a lot of players that love their cars/classic cars and see what types of cars they have and that it’s an extension of who they are. Totally different style of car and it’s an event that I approached the Redskins about and we’re going to use it to do something positive for the community. Loved the idea and just building up excitement.

For more information: Wynn's Car Show: June 10

WP: What does that mean that so many fellow teammates are taking the time to help you out?

RW: It’s been great and we’ve done great events in the past, and when the teammates support you it makes you feel good because they take the time to help make your event a success. It just goes to show you that it goes beyond the football field and helps build a bond with these guys. You have friendships with theses guys for life. You still keep in contact with them. It’s how you make champions out of teams when you know the people as people. Family! Its great that these guys want to be a part and support and do something something for charity.

WP: And in closing, what’s your favorite pie?

RW: You’re asking the right person! This is my biggest weakness, doing well minimizing. My favorite pie is Key Lime and Peach Cobbler.

WP: Thanks for taking the time to speak with us tonight Renaldo. I hope we can do this again soon.

RW: My pleasure. Let’s talk again soon
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-25-2007, 12:22 AM   #2
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 11,705
Re: Renaldo Wynn Chat (May 24, 2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Earlier tonight TheWarpath.net Front Office had the chance to sit down and talk with Redskins DE Renaldo Wynn about a few things. First interview, so we didn't go Mike Wallace on him. Enjoy

WP: When did you realize football could actually be a professional career for you? Did it change the way you approached practicing and playing?

RW: People can always transfer confidence into you, but my HS coach always said “you’re going to make it to the NFL just trust me” and he said that because he coached a NFL guy that played in Chicago, went to ND like me, he saw the similarities, and you’re just like him, you can make it. It really helped me instill some confidence in me and I just remember him telling me to keep doing what you’re doing.

Stay humble and work hard. I thought I was Michael Jordan, with basketball. My coach said you’re a football player and you can make it, even though you love basketball. He said you want to stay with this gift. Everyone wants to be Michael Jordan in Chicago…..HS, College, Pros, higher you get, more seriously you have to take things. When you get to the NFL, watching film is much more important; not just of yourself but of opponents.

WP: You’re often called a “locker room leader” And I know you like to take your teammates out to get to know them outside of football. Is this a role you naturally took upon yourself or, as a veteran, were you asked to fill this role?

RW: I just have a compassion for my teammates; I think this something natural that if they want me to find things out; I’ll do it. I want to see things through, see them be happy, especially the young guys that’s why this is my 6th year being a rep for my team, your teammates vote you, and they know that you have a moral conscious. I’ll do what’s right despite interests. Going to tell them what I feel is right and what’s in their best interest. You rep the players. Rep for the players and the rights of the player.

WP: Thoughts on some of the young guys on the team, particularly the line-such as Golston, Montgomery

RW: We had a lot of injuries in the back end and it really hurt us quite a bit. I take my hat off to our organization for giving the defense the opportunity and believing in us (instead of going out and drafting linemen). They have faith in us to get the job done. Sometimes you can fall into the trap and read the clippings about yourself, they know the type of guys we have. We can get it done. They’ve given us the opportunity to make the plays.

WP: How did the team handle the leak last season?

RW: You’re as strong as your weakest link, for that to happen it took everyone by surprise. When you’re faced with those situations, everyone held tight and the character was very good. It was well tested, everyone stood together. Whoever that person was…they’re probably not here anymore

WP: Joe Gibbs allowing players to work out on their own? Your opinion?

RW: Good move, especially for the veterans. If you don’t know what it takes after year six/seven, you’re not in the NFL anymore. Veterans can work out on their own; they can play for those years because they can take care of themselves. Guys who choose to work out on their own have to pass a tough test when they come back. Everyone did fine, with flying colors.

WP: What went wrong last year? And do you feel the team has taken the right measures to correct it?

RW: You look at the season and then you can’t get your finger on one thing. It was so many different things, injuries, this that and the other. Clinton offensively, defensively lost some key players, Lost Pierson; lost some free agents; losing Springs for a while. All that hurt us. And just for whatever reasons a lot of those close games we won the year before not last year. Have to win the close games.

WP: How has Jason Campbell improved from the end of last season to now?

RW: The key is that he’s going to have the whole off-season/preseason to get in synch with the first team. Some would say when he came in he played really well, even though he had no reps or off-season. Now that he has that experience and he LOOKS GREAT in practice.

He has a really strong and accurate arm; good pocket presence (makes people miss). And he’s got two veteran QBs that are really helping him out. But Campbell just continues to get better. He’s been working his ass off since January. His work ethic is unbelievable.

WP: How involved does Joe Gibbs get with the defense?

RW: He definitely gets involved, NO DOUBT. The reason he won the Super Bowls the first time he coached? Defense. And he’s big on having strong special teams. 85% of special teams players are defensive guys. Most guys are playing both spots. Coach Gibbs comes into our meetings. He knows what’s going on and he knows the defense has to be great to win. You gotta score points but it won’t matter if you can’t stop the opponent.

WP: Tell us about your upcoming Car Show. (Sunday June 10th at Redskins Park)

RW: This is something that’s been my passion. I got my first classic nine years ago. I totally restored it from the ground up. It was a “rust bucket.” I brought it into Jacksonville and they laughed at how bad it was. But the finished product was great, and I just kept doing it.

I have a great time doing it, a huge passion for it. It’s fun going to different car shows and seeing what everyone likes about it, as do my teammates. People just fixing up cars in general, they have great cars and love doing things the way they want and fixing up cars. Why not have a show and let them see players off the field. And have a chance to see them from a different point of view and what they love to do, a lot of players that love their cars/classic cars and see what types of cars they have and that it’s an extension of who they are. Totally different style of car and it’s an event that I approached the Redskins about and we’re going to use it to do something positive for the community. Loved the idea and just building up excitement.

For more information: Wynn's Car Show: June 10

WP: What does that mean that so many fellow teammates are taking the time to help you out?

RW: It’s been great and we’ve done great events in the past, and when the teammates support you it makes you feel good because they take the time to help make your event a success. It just goes to show you that it goes beyond the football field and helps build a bond with these guys. You have friendships with theses guys for life. You still keep in contact with them. It’s how you make champions out of teams when you know the people as people. Family! Its great that these guys want to be a part and support and do something something for charity.

WP: And in closing, what’s your favorite pie?

RW: You’re asking the right person! This is my biggest weakness, doing well minimizing. My favorite pie is Key Lime and Peach Cobbler.

WP: Thanks for taking the time to speak with us tonight Renaldo. I hope we can do this again soon.

RW: My pleasure. Let’s talk again soon

That was simply brilliant smootsmack simply astounding i hope we get other ones from other redskins players
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:31 AM   #3
Playmaker
 
70Chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manassas
Age: 43
Posts: 3,048
Re: Renaldo Wynn Chat (May 24, 2007)

Very nice. Please don't feel the need to go "Mike Wallace". This was fine.
__________________
This Monkey's Gone to Heaven
70Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:32 AM   #4
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,484
Re: Renaldo Wynn Chat (May 24, 2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Chip View Post
Very nice. Please don't feel the need to go "Mike Wallace". This was fine.
We don't intend to. I was just joking.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:39 AM   #5
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 11,705
Re: Renaldo Wynn Chat (May 24, 2007)

you got anyone else in your future that you want to interview
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:40 AM   #6
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,484
Re: Renaldo Wynn Chat (May 24, 2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
you got anyone else in your future that you want to interview
Right now wer'e just focusing on Tony McGee and Renaldo Wynn. The past and the present
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:42 AM   #7
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 11,705
Re: Renaldo Wynn Chat (May 24, 2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Right now wer'e just focusing on Tony McGee and Renaldo Wynn. The past and the present

cool, cool ok so i dont feel like a complete idiot did you all really sit down with him or was the interview like done over like a radio or computer
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:47 AM   #8
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,484
Re: Renaldo Wynn Chat (May 24, 2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
cool, cool ok so i dont feel like a complete idiot did you all really sit down with him or was the interview like done over like a radio or computer
We do it by phone. Thanks to Gmanc for doing this interview.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:53 AM   #9
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 11,705
Re: Renaldo Wynn Chat (May 24, 2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
We do it by phone. Thanks to Gmanc for doing this interview.

thats really cool man hope to see another one real soon
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:41 AM   #10
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
Re: Renaldo Wynn Chat (May 24, 2007)

Good to see our Skins both acknowledging and participating in our fan forum. Hopefully RW and McGee will spread the word of the Warpath further. I like what he had to say. Thanks Gmanc and The WP FO. Tight work.

PS- I've been on vacation for a week, and have barely been on the site. I feel refreshed and ready to run my mouth.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:44 AM   #11
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,504
Re: Renaldo Wynn Chat (May 24, 2007)

the pie question was beautiful. but gmanc blew it by not asking if Wynn knew the answer to question #3. j/k great interview. will Wynn be around all season?
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:21 AM   #12
Playmaker
 
skinsfan_nn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Newport News,Virginia
Age: 49
Posts: 4,495
Re: Renaldo Wynn Chat (May 24, 2007)

Very nice, keep it rollin! I liked the ? about the leak, not here anymore....hmmmm, wonder who that might be.....? ARCH DELUXE....RAT
__________________
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:36 AM   #13
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,427
Re: Renaldo Wynn Chat (May 24, 2007)

SS, for not being a "hard-hitting" interview as you described, there was a LOT of useful information to be gleaned from some of his comments.

Also, if he wanted Key Lime pie so bad he should have just come with me a couple weeks ago. I needed an NFL bodyguard.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:47 AM   #14
Franchise Player
 
ArtMonkDrillz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 7,938
Re: Renaldo Wynn Chat (May 24, 2007)

How great would it have been if you had had Wynn standing there as your best man? Or even better, if he carried you and your new wife down the aisle after the wedding (one person on each shoulder)?

I need to make friends with a giant.
__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
ArtMonkDrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:50 AM   #15
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,427
Re: Renaldo Wynn Chat (May 24, 2007)

HAHA.

What I like about this interview, is that even with questions he doesn't have to go "in-depth" about, he gives us lots of details and not the canned responses that Gibbs gives during press conferences.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.39149 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25