Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Joyner: Cooley underrated

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2007, 05:49 PM   #46
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,494
Re: Joyner: Cooley underrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
I'm assuming replaceable by another top three (top two for me) TE in the league? Also, remember that the Browns had NO receivers to speak of.
I agree that Clev. had no WR's but Winslow still had to get open to catch 90 balls. Very very impressive if you ask me.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-13-2007, 06:30 PM   #47
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,523
Re: Joyner: Cooley underrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Yes I did. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and I think he can be a top 5 TE. But he's not Gates or Tony G. I mean Gates is clearly the best TE in football. If Cooley were to leave ( I hope like hell he doesn't) we could go out and get someone who could do what Cooley does, or draft someone who has comparable skills. You don't agree?
I most definitely do not agree. It's rare to find someone with such a combination of hands, blocking and running abilities. You're citing Gates as the best TE in football right now, but I'd have to differ in the fact that when you have the offense they do, it's easy to look good. While I think that Gates is top three, I think Gonzo is the best.

I'm also not taking anything away from Winslow, but if you're asking me who I'll take ANY Sunday between Cooley and Winslow, give me Cooley each and every day.

I can't even remember the best tight end prospect last year, but can you think of ANY TE that really tore up the league last year? If he was so easily replaceable, you'd think that SOMEONE drafted would even come close to duplicating his stats and I don't think that anyone did.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:49 AM   #48
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,494
Re: Joyner: Cooley underrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
I most definitely do not agree. It's rare to find someone with such a combination of hands, blocking and running abilities. You're citing Gates as the best TE in football right now, but I'd have to differ in the fact that when you have the offense they do, it's easy to look good. While I think that Gates is top three, I think Gonzo is the best.

I'm also not taking anything away from Winslow, but if you're asking me who I'll take ANY Sunday between Cooley and Winslow, give me Cooley each and every day.

I can't even remember the best tight end prospect last year, but can you think of ANY TE that really tore up the league last year? If he was so easily replaceable, you'd think that SOMEONE drafted would even come close to duplicating his stats and I don't think that anyone did.
Cooley would not be easily replaceable. But it's not like we couldn't find someone who could catch 60-70 balls and 5-7 TD's. I think we as Redskins fans tend to think that our players are the best becasue they play for The Redskins, and we get attached to them. Ask yourself this question. If Cooley played for Dallas would you still feel the same way about him?

That is my point on TE's. No one really tore it up. Winslow had 90 catches but only scored like 2-3 times and didn't crack 1,000 yards. It's not a position where you need to make a huge investment.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:45 AM   #49
Special Teams
 
bedlamVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 389
Re: Joyner: Cooley underrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Cooley would not be easily replaceable. But it's not like we couldn't find someone who could catch 60-70 balls and 5-7 TD's. I think we as Redskins fans tend to think that our players are the best becasue they play for The Redskins, and we get attached to them. Ask yourself this question. If Cooley played for Dallas would you still feel the same way about him?

That is my point on TE's. No one really tore it up. Winslow had 90 catches but only scored like 2-3 times and didn't crack 1,000 yards. It's not a position where you need to make a huge investment.

Okay now you are on crack ...

One of my favorite Cowboys players has to be Witten.. he is a chain mover as is Cooley . I actually don't rate Gates that much, he is amongst the best in the leauge but he is esentially a converted basket ball player with limited moves, speed and has questionable blocking skills . What SD do well with him is ask him to go out there and esentially go for the jump balls .

You have the great TE's in history like Mike Ditka etc but they are often overlooked . In the Dallas reign of terror 92-96 I think the most valuble offensive players they had were in order, Aikmen, Smith, Novacheck, Allen, Irvin .

When I think of great TEs right now i like Ben Watson in NE, Dallas Clark as fantasy stud last year on my team, Jason Witten, Chris Cooley, Tony G - but only as a pass catcher, he is not the best blocker in the world, Vernon Davis - was ripping it up before his injury, and Kelen Winslow .

I also think the eara of the great TE is still to come but if you have a top flight all round skills like Cooley you do not let him walk because you simply cannot go out and replace them. It is a undervalued possition in the collages and NFL, often spare tackles who can catch get stuck on the end as a TE.
bedlamVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:12 AM   #50
Playmaker
 
skinsfan_nn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Newport News,Virginia
Age: 49
Posts: 4,495
Re: Joyner: Cooley underrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Cooley would not be easily replaceable. But it's not like we couldn't find someone who could catch 60-70 balls and 5-7 TD's. I think we as Redskins fans tend to think that our players are the best becasue they play for The Redskins, and we get attached to them. Ask yourself this question. If Cooley played for Dallas would you still feel the same way about him?

That is my point on TE's. No one really tore it up. Winslow had 90 catches but only scored like 2-3 times and didn't crack 1,000 yards. It's not a position where you need to make a huge investment.
Yeap your on CRACK for sure.

First of all fans are attached to Cooley because he's one of the VERY BEST TE in the entire league, and happens to be a SKIN! As you can tell by stats witten has been getting his respect as deserved, but Cooley isn't a cowgirl so what's the point? If your Really Good, your Really Good doesn't matter what team you play for?

If you don't think a top TE in the league is a big investment, your dead wrong, just look at the top TE's contracts in the league, witten, heap, shockey, or any top 5 TE for instance, maybe then you'll understand a top TE in the league is starting to require a big check.

With that said Cooley is a premier TE in this league and needs to be paid accordingly in DC!
__________________
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:33 AM   #51
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,523
Re: Joyner: Cooley underrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Cooley would not be easily replaceable. But it's not like we couldn't find someone who could catch 60-70 balls and 5-7 TD's. I think we as Redskins fans tend to think that our players are the best becasue they play for The Redskins, and we get attached to them. Ask yourself this question. If Cooley played for Dallas would you still feel the same way about him?

That is my point on TE's. No one really tore it up. Winslow had 90 catches but only scored like 2-3 times and didn't crack 1,000 yards. It's not a position where you need to make a huge investment.
Seriously, if that was easily possible, don't you think that teams would do that on a yearly basis? There's a reason people lock TEs up to long term contracts...
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:40 AM   #52
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Joyner: Cooley underrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
I most definitely do not agree. It's rare to find someone with such a combination of hands, blocking and running abilities. You're citing Gates as the best TE in football right now, but I'd have to differ in the fact that when you have the offense they do, it's easy to look good. While I think that Gates is top three, I think Gonzo is the best.

I'm also not taking anything away from Winslow, but if you're asking me who I'll take ANY Sunday between Cooley and Winslow, give me Cooley each and every day.

I can't even remember the best tight end prospect last year, but can you think of ANY TE that really tore up the league last year? If he was so easily replaceable, you'd think that SOMEONE drafted would even come close to duplicating his stats and I don't think that anyone did.
Cooley, Heap, Crumpler. No specific order.

Here's a point I'd like to bring up: Vernon Davis was the 5th overall pick in 2006, because of some incredible set of athletic skills regarding a TE. Now I want everybody to think about that for a second. A TE who is small and can't block but can run 4.3 and jump really high.

That doesn't sound like a TE to me at all. It sounds like SF drafted a receiver who was just playing out of position. Now, a receiver with 4.3 speed really isn't all that special. But this is a thought process that apparently never occured to the 49ers while doing this.

This is the ultimate proof that TEs are valued improperly. And while Antonio Gates is a wonderful fantasy TE, what exactly does scoring TD's prove if you can't block a lick?

Cooley, Heap, and Crumpler are all average to good blockers and smart receivers in the open field. Gonzo should still be in this conversation, but at this point in his career, probably is no longer the elite player at his position. Gates should be the No. 1 TE in fantasy, but when in comes to value to his team, he clearly is quite overrated.

Winslow>Gates, but hes not a wonderful blocker either.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:52 AM   #53
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,718
Re: Joyner: Cooley underrated

Winslow over Gates??

Wow.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:00 AM   #54
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Joyner: Cooley underrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Winslow over Gates??

Wow.
Why not?

Disagreeing is completely cool but passing it off without even considering it is pretty foolish, IMHO.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #55
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,718
Re: Joyner: Cooley underrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Why not?

Disagreeing is completely cool but passing it off without even considering it is pretty foolish, IMHO.
Look at what Gates has done so far in his career:

265 catches, 3378 yards, 12.7 avg, 34 TDs.

As for Winslow:

94 catches, 925 yards, 9.8 avg, 3 TDs.

So why would I think Winslow is better than Gates??

I can't wait to hear this logic.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:13 AM   #56
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,060
Re: Joyner: Cooley underrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Why not?

Disagreeing is completely cool but passing it off without even considering it is pretty foolish, IMHO.

for the simple fact that Gates has produced way better in the league. And last year was the first time that Winslow was even on the field. Pile that on with the fact that the Browns had no recievers (Edwards hasnt shown anything) and no running game. Add all that up and you have got a player with inflated stats. Come on Winslow is not better than Chris Cooley let alone Gates.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:18 AM   #57
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,516
Re: Joyner: Cooley underrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedlamVR View Post
Okay now you are on crack ...

One of my favorite Cowboys players has to be Witten.. he is a chain mover as is Cooley . I actually don't rate Gates that much, he is amongst the best in the leauge but he is esentially a converted basket ball player with limited moves, speed and has questionable blocking skills . What SD do well with him is ask him to go out there and esentially go for the jump balls .

You have the great TE's in history like Mike Ditka etc but they are often overlooked . In the Dallas reign of terror 92-96 I think the most valuble offensive players they had were in order, Aikmen, Smith, Novacheck, Allen, Irvin .

When I think of great TEs right now i like Ben Watson in NE, Dallas Clark as fantasy stud last year on my team, Jason Witten, Chris Cooley, Tony G - but only as a pass catcher, he is not the best blocker in the world, Vernon Davis - was ripping it up before his injury, and Kelen Winslow .

I also think the eara of the great TE is still to come but if you have a top flight all round skills like Cooley you do not let him walk because you simply cannot go out and replace them. It is a undervalued possition in the collages and NFL, often spare tackles who can catch get stuck on the end as a TE.
how can any redskin fans say the have a favorite cowboys player?this is.... absurd
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:18 AM   #58
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,060
Re: Joyner: Cooley underrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Look at what Gates has done so far in his career:

265 catches, 3378 yards, 12.7 avg, 34 TDs.

As for Winslow:

94 catches, 925 yards, 9.8 avg, 3 TDs.

So why would I think Winslow is better than Gates??

I can't wait to hear this logic.


there isn't any.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:19 AM   #59
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,060
Re: Joyner: Cooley underrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
how can any redskin fans say the have a favorite cowboys player?this is.... absurd

3 months for him
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:26 AM   #60
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: Joyner: Cooley underrated

There is no comparing Winslow and Gates. None.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34009 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25